Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > I will answer your questions about Basic Combat Training > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1931 | Total Posts: 42 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 12-14-02 08:44:43 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Yeah. I'm finally out of Basic, and while I'm not an expert about it, I will do my best to answer any questions you might have about my experiences or general questions about what typically goes on in Basic Combat Training.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 08:55:44 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

What time do you have to get up in the morning?
Do you have to have strong arms?
Do you get decent food?
Are you glad it's over?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 2 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:02:20 PM)

Is the drill sargeant as big of an asshole as in Full Metal Jacket?
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 3 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:05:18 PM)

Was it worth it?
JamesMartigo
The Flying Dutchman

Ballkicks: (+118 / -35)
Reply 4 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:09:14 PM)

How many time did you want to jump the fence and run home?
"the world says it is cool to be gay" - Yehoshua Ben Yisra'el
"Atheists believe in the God of Atheism" - Yehoshua Ben Yisra'el
"Sorry for my bad english." - PokeIzzySSBCW
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 5 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:09:36 PM)

Quoted from boutitben:
What time do you have to get up in the morning?
3:45am for personal hygiene, cleaning, etc
5:00am - 5:30am first formation
5:30am - 7:00am PT
7:00am - 8:00am breakfast (although, we generally had 5-8 minutes to eat)
8:00am - 12:00 training
12:00pm - 1:00pm lunch
1:00pm - 5:00pm training
5:00pm - 8:00pm boot shining, showers, cleaning, etc
8:00pm - 9:00pm personal time
9:00pm - 3:45am sleep and possible fire guard (you walk around the barracks and keep accountability on everyone in your platoon) or CQ (you do oddjobs for the drill sergeant in the middle of the night).
Quote:
Do you have to have strong arms?
I'm a hell of a lot stronger than I was before I left for Basic, but I'm not like a fucking Hulk now. I came into the Army doing 21 push-ups and can do about 60-70 now.
Quote:
Do you get decent food?
Believe it or not, yes. Breakfast was fucking awesome, best damn meal of the day, especially since you would eat breakfast right after doing an hour and a half of PT which ranged from sprints to 100+ jumping jacks to 5-10 reps of 25+ sit-up and push-up to running 3-5 miles and so forth. However, lunch and dinner were mediocre, if not shitastic.
Quote:
Are you glad it's over?
Believe it or not, I actually miss Basic now that I'm at AIT. I don't necessarily miss Basic, but I miss some of the guys that were there with me. There were a lot of annoying assfucks and a lot of cool people. Most of the time I couldn't wait to get away from most of them, but after spending nine long fucking weeks with someone, you begin to feel as though you've known that person forever, since you've both been through the same thing, felt the same pain, been pissed off at the same person for fucking up, and basically doing everything together. I dunno, I miss Basic, but then again, I'm glad it's over, so that I can look back and laugh at getting smoked for two hours after doing a 7-mile rucksack march.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 6 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:12:07 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Is the drill sargeant as big of an asshole as in Full Metal Jacket?
Well, that's the Marines, but in a way, yes. The first couple weeks, definitely. After that, not as much, only when we fucked up. My platoon's DS didn't yell as much as the guy in FMJ, but merely would talk in a calm, collected voice, then make us drop and do various cardio exercises for anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour plus.
Zeus

Ballkicks: (+17 / -15)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 7 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:12:08 PM)

what advice would you give to someone who is going to join the army pretty soon?
||
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 8 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:12:12 PM)

How long does it take to march 7 miles? When I do 7 mile runs it takes about 50 minutes, and that's running. Marching with stuff on your back must take forever.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 9 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:13:29 PM)

Quoted from Lyle:
Was it worth it?
I'm still in training, so I can't really say. I'll be able to answer that once I'm in for a year or so.
Quote:
How many time did you want to jump the fence and run home?
Never.
MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 10 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:18:12 PM)

Do you feel like you are a different person mentally? Like the marine corps (I know your army though, but still) are always talking about how they will change how you act for the better. I know someone that recently got out of marine boot camp and I cant tell much difference in how he acts.
JamesMartigo
The Flying Dutchman

Ballkicks: (+118 / -35)
Reply 11 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:18:42 PM)

Man, you are fucking tough. I wouldn't last a week there. You should be very proud of what you're capable off. When do you have to start again?
"the world says it is cool to be gay" - Yehoshua Ben Yisra'el
"Atheists believe in the God of Atheism" - Yehoshua Ben Yisra'el
"Sorry for my bad english." - PokeIzzySSBCW
Andrea

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+26 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 12 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:18:43 PM)

My brother's in the army and he's part of the Airborne...what part are you? And are you going to get sent to Korea?
"We only begin to live when we conceive life as tragedy.." W.B. Yeats

"Love is an illusion, but I would willingly fall for it if I could believe in it." Sylvia Plath
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 13 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:20:24 PM)

Quoted from Zeus:
what advice would you give to someone who is going to join the army pretty soon?
Make sure you fully realize what you're getting yourself into.

Decide whether you want to join the Regular Army, National Guard, or Army Reserves. Each has it's own benefits and downfalls. For example, if you know that you'll miss your family/girlfriend/boyfriend/whatever, don't join the Regular Army, because you'll really only get to see then when you're on leave and you only get 2.5 days of leave per month, which comes out to be about 30 days/year. However, one benefit the RA gets, is that you are treated better while in training, get better college benefits (especially when you report to your permanent assignment).

Don't go infantry, unless you are a masochist and want to suffer through your entire enlistment.

Find an MOS that you think you'd enjoy, not something that your recruiter suggests. You must realize that they are required to enlist X amount of people per month and will say just about anything to get you to enlist.

Make sure you do PT before you report to Basic. You want to make sure that you can pass your very first PT test, so that the drill sergeants won't fuck with you. If you are 18-21 and can do 35 push-ups and 45 sit-ups in less than two minutes and run 2 miles in less than 16:35, you are good to go.

That's all I can think of right now.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 14 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:22:32 PM)

Quoted from boutitben:
How long does it take to march 7 miles? When I do 7 mile runs it takes about 50 minutes, and that's running. Marching with stuff on your back must take forever.
We did two 7-mile ruck marches in Basic and another 15K march a week before graduation with a 40-pound rucksack on our backs, while carrying two full canteens of water and an 8-pound M16. The 7-mile marches took anywhere from 2-3 hours and the 15K march took roughly 4.5 hours. The two 7-mile marches were bitches, however, the 15K march was easy as hell for some reason.

Tell you what though, ruck marches do wonders for your legs.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 15 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:26:05 PM)

Quoted from MBS:
Do you feel like you are a different person mentally? Like the marine corps (I know your army though, but still) are always talking about how they will change how you act for the better. I know someone that recently got out of marine boot camp and I cant tell much difference in how he acts.
In some ways, yes. I am a hell of a lot more confident than I was before I went to Basic. I can also deal with a hell of a lot higher stress levels than I could before Basic. I'm also a hell of a lot more polite now, since respect is one of those things that the Army stresses as an important value. Failure to treat people with respect, such as addressing them as "sir" or "ma'am" will get you in a shitload of trouble.

Overall though, I feel a hell of a lot more disciplined, respectful, polite, and physically in shape.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 16 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:27:25 PM)

That's pretty crazy stuff, dude. Congrats on "surviving" it.
Zeus

Ballkicks: (+17 / -15)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 17 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:27:32 PM)

thanks sandy, you helped a lot i'm a serial-killer :)
||
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 18 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:32:54 PM)

Quoted from NeuroticOne:
My brother's in the army and he's part of the Airborne...what part are you? And are you going to get sent to Korea?
I'm also in Airborne. Well, not yet, but once I'm done with my advanced training, I'll go back to Fort Benning for my 3-week Airborne training, then I'll come back home for 2 weeks, then report to my first duty station. As of right now, I have not been assigned to a duty station and probably won't get assigned to one for another 4-5 months... so, as for Korea, I have no clue.
Andrea

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+26 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 19 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:38:31 PM)

North Carolina is very very cold. Good job with that though. The Airborne kicks some major ass i'm a serial-killer :)
"We only begin to live when we conceive life as tragedy.." W.B. Yeats

"Love is an illusion, but I would willingly fall for it if I could believe in it." Sylvia Plath
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reply 20 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 09:57:46 PM)

Is Aubrey (Burnt_Corn) going to die next July when he goes to basic? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
I dream of the bear. Once again, it shambles out of the forest. Once again, it lumbers towards me. But this time, although I am wet with fear, my fear has a different quality, and I realize that either I do not expect the encounter will kill me or I don't mind the thought of dying quite as much as I once did.
Again the bear bends over me. But instead of licking me, it opens its jaws over my face, so wide that my whole head is inside its mouth and I am looking down the dark tunnel of its throat. I feel its teeth meet through my neck, and I know it has bitten off my head. But when it lifts its mouth from my empty shoulders, I can see the world as well as ever - in fact, things have a lucidity I had never before imagined, and I think, What an effort it was to have to lug my head around with me for so long.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 21 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 10:08:39 PM)

Do you enjoy the organized lifestyle more?

Do you feel as though you have 'purpose' now?

Have you found that Army goods outweigh the Army bads?
"...Try. Try. Try some more. Look how much you're failing." -Wheezy

[[/w]I think, therefore I make bullshit philosophic generalizations.[w]]
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 22 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 10:12:34 PM)

What do all these acronyms stand for?
MurphGuitar

Ballkicks: (+33 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 23 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-14-02 10:39:10 PM)

What do you think about military pay? I hear military are paid horribly, and the discount places they shop at (PX? MX? What's it called?) are basically to keep them from quitting. Do you think they (you) should be paid more?

Is basic training co-ed? What percentage of women were there? Do they have lower minimum standards of physical fitness and physical tests for women, and if so, how much lower? Assuming they're lower, how do you feel about that? Is it fair?
Defy me at your peril.

AKA Sir William of Pork
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 24 of 42 (Originally posted on: 12-15-02 07:56:53 AM)

Quoted from Vervet:
Is Aubrey (Burnt_Corn) going to die next July when he goes to basic? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
No.
Quote:
Do you enjoy the organized lifestyle more?
Somewhat. On one hand, it makes time go faster, yet can get quite boring, and on the other hand, it sucks, because I'm the type of person that enjoys his personal time and now I rarely get any of it.
Quote:
Do you feel as though you have 'purpose' now?
Not quite yet, as I said earlier, I'm still in training, so I'm just following the orders of those appointed over me. Once I get to my permanent assignment and actually have a job to perform, probably. Although, I feel as though I have much more of a purpose than I did when I worked at Wendy's flipping burgers.
Quote:
Have you found that Army goods outweigh the Army bads?
Tough question. I haven't really spent enough time to really answer that question honestly.
Quote:
What do all these acronyms stand for?
What acronyms.
Quote:
What do you think about military pay? I hear military are paid horribly, and the discount places they shop at (PX? MX? What's it called?) are basically to keep them from quitting. Do you think they (you) should be paid more?
We get paid shit, but then again, we really have no expenses, or at least very minimal. I may make only $1300/month before taxes, but then again, I don't have to pay for electricity, water, rent, groceries, gas, etc, so the majority of the money we make goes straight to our bank accounts as long as you live in the barracks.
Quote:
Is basic training co-ed?
I went to Basic at Fort Benning, which does not train women. Had I gone to Fort Jackson or Fort Leonard Wood, there would have been women there.
Quote:
What percentage of women were there?
From what I gather from guys here that went to Jackson and Leonard Wood, it was about a 3:1 ratio of men to women.
Quote:
Do they have lower minimum standards of physical fitness and physical tests for women, and if so, how much lower?
Yes. Women don't have to do as many push-ups and sit-ups as men and have more time to run the two miles. As for how much lower the standards are, I have no clue.
Quote:
Assuming they're lower, how do you feel about that? Is it fair?
I don't really think it's fair, but there's really nothing I can do about it, so I don't really think about it or stress it as much as some do.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1931 | Total Posts: 42 ]