Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Armor Q's For Stoffel > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 1054 | Total Posts: 20 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-11-02 10:26:12 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hey Stoffel, I'm interested if you make ancient Roman and/or Greek armor. Also, if you do, I'd like to know how much it would cost me to get you to make a:

Corinthian-Style(stereotypical) Greek hopilite helmet
OR
Typical Roman Legionaire helmet.
OR
Basic hopilite shield
OR
Basic Roman Legionaire shield

I'm not sure if you can do any of this(especially the shields), but I was still wondering, as I'd like to get myself one of those, provided its in my price range.
I put this in here to fill up space in my forum sig because I am too self-concious to put anyone else's quotes down for fear of retribution and my incredibly low self-esteem, which contributes to me not thinking of any ideas for fear of them and my alias as a forum personality being shunned. I will attempt to write something clever and witty in an attempt to gain recognition in an internet forum full of people I will never meet merely to satisfy my insatiable appetite for being accepted as both a source of quality humor and as a person in general. I accept that I will ultimately fail and leave the forum, only to put my awkward teenage years behind me and grow up to be a loving and responsible father and husband until I turn 38 and am fired from my job, find out my wife is having an affair with a convicted child molester who she helped escape from prison, and I will let my car idle in the garage, slowly filling it with carbon monoxide and freeing me from my hellish prison on earth.
MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 1 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 12:22:03 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I dunno anything about what stoffel might create or charge you, but there is this website where you can buy stuff online at www.knightsedge.com
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 08:57:20 AM)

Quoted from Socrateius:
Hey Stoffel, I'm interested if you make ancient Roman and/or Greek armor. Also, if you do, I'd like to know how much it would cost me to get you to make a:

Corinthian-Style(stereotypical) Greek hopilite helmet
OR
Typical Roman Legionaire helmet.
OR
Basic hopilite shield
OR
Basic Roman Legionaire shield

I'm not sure if you can do any of this(especially the shields), but I was still wondering, as I'd like to get myself one of those, provided its in my price range.

Keep in mind I dont do stuff that is what you would typically find from somewhere like Knights Edge or Museum Replicas. Most of thier stuff is factory made in India and China, so they can cut costs, but also cut quality. I try to keep everythign I make as historically accurate as is feasible. That said:

Corinthian- made in brass its about $400, bronze about $500, steel or iron $250

Legionair helm- $200, $50 extra for all the brass edgings, brass ear pieces, brass hinges, etc. Of course there are different styles(this price being for the typical movie style legion helm) that would cost different prices.

I'm not sure what a hoplite shield looks like, so if you have a pic I could give you a price. I can make a scutum for about $60 with a steel shield boss and paint it for you in a basic roman design. However, if you have some basic hand tools and a place to use them, I could tell you how to make the wood part of the shield and curve it, and I could make the shield boss($30) and send it to you for you to attach.

Is the hoplite shield the one that is circular and is like a dome?

Or you could just buy the armour I am selling right now :p

"85% of smokers said that New Years day was a good time to quit smoking. None of them will, but they still think it would be a good time to quit."
Zeus

Ballkicks: (+17 / -15)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 3 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 09:11:22 AM)

Quote:

Hoplite shields are large and they are a rectangular shape.
Stoffel

Reply 4 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 09:21:33 AM)

Quoted from Zeus:
Quote:

Hoplite shields are large and they are a rectangular shape.

So is it essentially the same thing as a scutum?
"85% of smokers said that New Years day was a good time to quit smoking. None of them will, but they still think it would be a good time to quit."
Stoffel

Reply 5 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 09:33:09 AM)

Actually I found some hoplite shield pics and they are round dome shapes. I'm not sure if I can do it, but I will give it a try just to see if I can get the dome shape with the wood.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 6 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 09:54:05 AM)

Yeah, Hoplite shields are circular. Legionaire sheilds are the big rectangular ones.
FLAMING ARROW
| "People suck." - Andy Richter
| "Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?" - Friedrich Nietzsche
| "We are now entering Hell. Please keep your hands and elbows inside the car." - Daria
| "Don't worry. I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else." - Daria
| "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." - George Carlin
| "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood." - George Carlin
| "Getting a free compliment is like finding a penny on the sidewalk. Extorting a compliment is like stealing a penny from that annoying blind kid." - Christopher Titus
JamesMartigo
The Flying Dutchman

Ballkicks: (+118 / -35)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 7 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 10:42:59 AM)

What The Fuck!?!?!?!
Where did you learn how make all that cool stuff?
What price range did you have in mind for that armor?
"If I had a dick, I'd go get laid. But we can do the next best thing... let's kill people!" - Loki
"All he did is hurt that little girl's pussy" - RuPaul
"Vuisten tot het schuimt" - ???
Stoffel

Reply 8 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 10:48:23 AM)

Quoted from JamesMartigo:
What The Fuck!?!?!?!
Where did you learn how make all that cool stuff?
What price range did you have in mind for that armor?

I study it. I have been making it for about two years.

The cuirass(breastplate), pauldrons(shoulders), and tassets(dangly bits hanging off the breastplate), combined are $450. I could get more for it but I'm selling it because I want the money soon for christimass.

The arms are $175. The gauntlets were already sold for $200, the helmet isnt for sale now but it would be about $400, and the legs(no pics) are $75 because they have huge sword dents in them.
Stoffel

Reply 9 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 10:50:24 AM)

Oh, and this is my web page. Unfortunatly I havent moved it to my new site yet so there are shit loads of popups and some of the thumbnails dont work.

And I do believe there is a picture of a roman helm I made awhile back somewhere on the images section of my web page.
JamesMartigo
The Flying Dutchman

Ballkicks: (+118 / -35)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 10 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 10:51:03 AM)

I didn't know there where places you could still study this craft. If I was living in the middle ages, I would have been a smith.
You're quite skillfull
"If I had a dick, I'd go get laid. But we can do the next best thing... let's kill people!" - Loki
"All he did is hurt that little girl's pussy" - RuPaul
"Vuisten tot het schuimt" - ???
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 11 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 06:53:02 PM)

I would say that the scutum would be the most feasable for me right now. I'm wanting to get a full armor getup for one of the two soldiers, so I guess I'll do the Legionaire.

How do you want to be payed? I'll get my paypal account set up soon. Also, do you want to be paid now, or when you finish?
I put this in here to fill up space in my forum sig because I am too self-concious to put anyone else's quotes down for fear of retribution and my incredibly low self-esteem, which contributes to me not thinking of any ideas for fear of them and my alias as a forum personality being shunned. I will attempt to write something clever and witty in an attempt to gain recognition in an internet forum full of people I will never meet merely to satisfy my insatiable appetite for being accepted as both a source of quality humor and as a person in general. I accept that I will ultimately fail and leave the forum, only to put my awkward teenage years behind me and grow up to be a loving and responsible father and husband until I turn 38 and am fired from my job, find out my wife is having an affair with a convicted child molester who she helped escape from prison, and I will let my car idle in the garage, slowly filling it with carbon monoxide and freeing me from my hellish prison on earth.
Stoffel

Reply 12 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 07:18:05 PM)

Paypal is prefered, but I'll take a check or money order or something just the same. Generally I ask for all upfront, but I know your not going to bail on me so half up front to buy the materials would be fine, and the rest when its finished.

I'd love to make you the full roman getup. Its been years since I have made a suit of lorica and have been wanting a reason to make another set of it. I understand if you cant get it right now, but I'm sure I will be making armour for a long time into the future so whenever you want it I can make it for you.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 13 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 07:58:39 PM)

Alright, once I get my account set up, I shall send you the 30 bucks. If I do end up bailing out on you, you're allowed to go over to my house and beat the shit out of me, though.

I'll start with that scutum shield, though I'm so indecisive. It'll take me a while to decide whether I want a full hopilite or legionare getup. What would your estimate be for either one, total? If I do end up getting the whole thing of one of those, it'll be one piece at a time, money is limited, heh.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reply 14 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-12-02 08:59:50 PM)

Stoffel this is amazingly cool shit, plus karma for you. If only my parents would let me buy some of this armor. You going to make this your buisness for your life? Or just using it to get through college. (don't know how old you are).
I'm an agnostic catholic... if that's possible...

Some quote should go here, who wants it?
Stoffel

Reply 15 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-13-02 08:07:07 AM)

Quoted from Socrateius:
Alright, once I get my account set up, I shall send you the 30 bucks. If I do end up bailing out on you, you're allowed to go over to my house and beat the shit out of me, though.

I'll start with that scutum shield, though I'm so indecisive. It'll take me a while to decide whether I want a full hopilite or legionare getup. What would your estimate be for either one, total? If I do end up getting the whole thing of one of those, it'll be one piece at a time, money is limited, heh.

Sounds good. My paypal acount is under the Stoffel@punkass.com email. I should have it done by January 12 at the latest. I'm in the process of moving all my tools to a new shop I'm renting, so I cant do anything for atleast a week. I dont know much of anything about Hoplite gear, so I will have to research it more before giving you a price. As for roman gear, I gave the quote on Lorica segmentata and the helm, the greeves will run about $150, and the rest of the stuff just depends on what style you want(when you decide to get them, find pics of what you want and I will let you know). I can do pilum heads and the likes, but cant do spear heads. However I have a friend who makes brass and bronze spear heads that are really beautiful, so I'll ask him the price of one.
Stoffel

Reply 16 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-13-02 08:12:23 AM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
Stoffel this is amazingly cool shit, plus karma for you. If only my parents would let me buy some of this armor. You going to make this your buisness for your life? Or just using it to get through college. (don't know how old you are).

I started off just makign it for fun and because I do medieval reinactments, but when I found out I could make money from it I was all over it. It doesnt really pay for college, but it gives me lots of money to spend while I'm there. I've got a regular job and am not going to school right now(taking a year off) and just do armour on the side when I'm in the mood for it or someone wants to give me money for it. I started out making it because I wanted the armour and couldnt afford it. if you would like, I could tell you how to get started in basic metal work with minimal tools, or even how to make maille. I've taught quite a few KoRT forumers how to make maille and some plate armour over the years.
Stoffel

Reply 17 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-13-02 09:08:08 AM)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1793311014
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1793311781
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 18 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-13-02 09:33:06 PM)

Stoffel, what is the hardest, thickest and heaviest armor you have seen or made?
Other haunts:

http://halosrealm.host.sk/

http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~wbc/IB/index.php?s=86435ca47ef558e6b2db9c4f226d9c36&
Stoffel

Reply 19 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-13-02 09:41:59 PM)

Quoted from Lord Devon:
Stoffel, what is the hardest, thickest and heaviest armor you have seen or made?

I've seen some pretty horrible helmets made by people that dont know how to make armour and were just trying to make something they could fight in. Stuff like quarter inch steel welded together into a helmet shape. Its ungodly.

Most armour, modern and medieval, is made from metal about the thickness of the metal cover for your computer case. Anything thicker for anythign but helmets is pointless and nothing but burdensome.
Jesuß
INTL Premium Member
Healing America by Beating People Up

It's "erroneous," you uptight fairy.

Ballkicks: (+137 / -34)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 20 of 20 (Originally posted on: 12-13-02 09:43:03 PM)

Wow. You rock. Exceedingly. + karma, and when I get some money, after I buy my new box, I'm gonna buy some stuff!
Caution! Ingesting the Nefarious Flaming Purple Shoe of Doom may cause you to transform into a pretty penguin. If this occurs, do not induce vomiting. Contact your local physician or poison control center immediatly.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1054 | Total Posts: 20 ]