Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > who here likes to make SALSA > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 765 | Total Posts: 39 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 25 of 39 (Originally posted on: 02-04-19 11:44:01 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

But that is nice of you to offer
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 26 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-19 07:47:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I figured out some stuff making more pico.

Some notes

1. I figured out to soak the onions in the lime juice for 15 minutes or so before I make the rest of the salsa. The process makes the oniony taste milder but leaves them perfectly crunchy (and they still taste like onion its just not so overwhelming). I just leave the lime in there instead of adding it at the end.

2. I'm playing around with different chiles. I like 1 jalapeno and 1 serrano but the heat needs more depth. I tried two jalapenos and 1 serrano but now the chiles are overwhelming the rest of the ingredients so I'll have to do some more work on that.

Anyway, feel like this thread could use some more traffic. Me Gusta
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 27 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-21-19 09:54:25 AM)

that looks like some good pico. One pico protip I have is that if my tomatoes aren't super great, I toss them in some salt after I chop them and leave them to drain over the sink in a colander. The salt breaks them down a little bit and they lose some of their liquids and it seems to intensify the flavor a bit.

another nice variation is to use habanero and a mixture of lemon and lime. You could even put some chopped mango in there too but I generally shy away from fruity salsas.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 28 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-21-19 03:33:16 PM)

Yeah sweeter pico is good on like fish tacos sometimes but I wouldn't do it as a general everyday thing.

Also good tip about the tomatoes I'll try it.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 29 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-22-19 03:55:30 AM)

Quoted from Trash Mod:
Yeah sweeter pico is good on like fish tacos sometimes but I wouldn't do it as a general everyday thing.

Also good tip about the tomatoes I'll try it.
100% agreed. I think habanero adds enough fruitiness without adding sweetness to it. Also mixing up the citrus by adding a squeeze of lemon/grapefruit can do a lot. In Yucatan they don't use limes anyway, they use bitter oranges (which are pretty much impossible to find in Germany), but have a particular taste that adds a lot.

Actually in California you probably have access to many more kinds of citrus fruits, especially this time of year.

re: interesting citrus, you can probably find limón dulce. I always see it in Mexican markets when I go home. Unfortunately I don't think it's very good, kind of a not sour, watery-tasting lemon. I have no idea what it's used for
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 30 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-22-19 08:42:26 AM)

I've definitely heard of the sour oranges they use in the Yucatan but haven't used them before. I wonder if I could find them and try it. Maybe in a mexican market.

They also have honey there from a bee called meliponia that's more acidic than sweet and I've always wanted to try it have you had it? Apparently they're the same bees the mayans kept which is kind of rad.

Never heard of sweet lemons before but it sounds gross lol.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 31 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-22-19 09:44:18 AM)

I bet you could get sour oranges in a some mexican markets. If you look hard enough you might even be able to find some kind of specifically Yucateco mexican market. I never tried the honey though

I could see maybe using sweet lemon juice in a sorbet or something? maybe the lack of acidity would be good for that. I don't really know anything about making desserts though
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 32 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-22-19 09:45:47 AM)

also you might have some kind of exotic fruit store / dude at a farmer's market nearby, that might be another place to look for sour oranges
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 33 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-26-19 03:29:26 PM)

Nick, don't you have a bottle of naranja agria? Can't you use a splash of that in the pico? If not, the Goya fairy can send you some!
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 34 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-26-19 03:37:59 PM)

I do! I used most of it already though
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 35 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-01-19 08:53:28 AM)

I got all the stuff to make the pico and I'm going to make it with the orange stuff instead of lime juice I'll report back.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 36 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-01-19 12:06:29 PM)

that sounds gross, please say april fools
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 37 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-01-19 03:42:40 PM)

It's sour orange not regular like orange juice.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 38 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-02-19 09:59:55 AM)

I would have posted but the last salsa I made was quite experimental and it didn't really come out that great.

Basically I tried to sub out tomatoes for boiled carrots and make a cooked habanero salsa, but I think I used way way too many carrots for that. I feel like using one carrot and really thinning it out with water and lime juice might have worked better, because I used 4 or 5 small carrots and the end result was just way too much like spicy baby food. Anyway that's why I haven't posted anything. I have been trying to figure out how to eat this gross carrot mush in my fridge

its probably bad by now anyway
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 39 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-03-19 12:29:42 AM)

hahaha. I haven't made the sour orange salsa yet because I've been working late every night.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 765 | Total Posts: 39 ]