Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > who here likes to make SALSA > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 657 | Total Posts: 39 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-09-19 10:22:05 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So I cook a lot of beans and need stuff to eat them with. For this reason I am very into making salsa and make it several times a month.

Usually my recipe for salsa is more or less like this: dry roast tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, and white onion in my skillet and then smash them up with cilantro and lime juice. Sometimes I sub in different things or add spices or dried chiles.

Today I wanted something a little different so I made a fresh tasting tomato salsa.

I used chile pequin for this, but any small dried chile will work. Big dried chiles will work too but you should get rid of most of the seeds or it will be bitter. Also it would be a pretty different salsa with anchos or guajillos or whatever. This is what chile pequin looks like when some old white person is holding them:

This is a high-effort thread so I took a photo:

Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup chile pequin (or whatever)
3-4 roma tomatoes
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon white vinegar
good amount of mexican oregano
cumin seeds
salt

blanch the tomatoes in boiling water, peel them, and chop them up, then roast the garlic, chile, and cumin in a dried pan. You can leave some of the paper on the garlic while you roast it, it should get black in spots. The chiles you want to puff up a bit and slightly change color. Don't burn them or it will taste awful. The cumin seeds go quick too, some of them will pop and you'll smell it.

Then just add everything to your blender and blend that shit up. Let it cool down and eat it

Do you guys make salsa?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-09-19 11:28:23 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I made a fresh pico de gallo the other day but it turned out pretty unsatisfying. I might reduce onion and add more chiles next time. The recipe was something like this:

1 lb roma tomatos, chopped and drained
3/4 large yellow onion chopped small
1 jalapeno chopped and seeded
1 serrano chipped and seeded
cilantro
lemon juice
salt

idk, it was really plain tasting and the onions were too crunchy and prevalent. I tried adding more salt and it helped a little but I really think it needs more chiles.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 2 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-09-19 11:29:19 AM)

Sorry I don't have a picture.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 3 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-09-19 12:35:36 PM)

when i make pico i always make an effort to chop the onions pretty small. Otherwise I think they can be kind of too much. You can also soak the chopped onions in salted cold water for a little while to take out some of the intense flavor. don't use too much salt though or they will get soft and weird
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 4 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-09-19 12:36:38 PM)

the salsa i make most often is basically pico with cooked ingredients
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 5 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-10-19 07:52:22 PM)

If you didn't read the title like Seinfeld get out of the thread now
balls
D
Administrator

Reply 6 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-10-19 07:53:13 PM)

Ok now that it's safe, I never made salsa but we make Guacamole a lot. No recipe, just follow your heart. Also that dude's hands are very hairy.
balls
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 7 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-11-19 03:42:22 AM)

this salsa came out really spicy btw

A good shortcut to boost ur salsa game is to substitute vegetable/chicken bullion powder for some/all of the salt .
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 8 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-11-19 01:55:54 PM)

oh nice good tip
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
Reply 9 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-12-19 03:19:47 PM)

Good Lord.. now I totally want to make homemade salsa. Both of these recipes. Then my own. I used to make one years ago that was very cilantro heavy. Kind of learned by trial and error that cilantro is hit and miss. Too much or too little will ruin a good batch of salsa...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 10 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-17-19 01:15:16 PM)

You told me to post here but I haven't made salsa, last thing I cooked was this roast:

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 11 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-17-19 02:44:59 PM)

the roast looks good. I've started grinding my own meat and I made breakfast sausages. Might make chorizo next.
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 07:20:52 AM)

Looks good. Cool purple dildo.
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 13 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 09:02:21 AM)

it appears to be remote controlled
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 14 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 04:17:31 PM)

It's a spatula you fuckin' nerds. Neither of you have ever seen a dildo before, clearly.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 15 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 05:14:59 PM)

Oh yeah? Well, uh, nice coffee grinder.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 16 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 05:19:31 PM)

Quoted from flaming arrow:
It's a spatula you fuckin' nerds. Neither of you have ever seen a dildo before, clearly.
i mean lol but how in the fuck is that a spatula
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 17 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 05:24:52 PM)

It has a little foot on the base so you can set it upright on the counter and not get food everywhere I think.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 18 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-18-19 09:45:32 PM)

Exactly, it's a little heart shaped base and the flat flippy part has a smile in it. It's some kitschy Amazon shit my mom got.
D
Administrator

Reply 19 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-19-19 03:41:28 PM)

Quoted from flaming arrow:

can't take a compliment jeeze
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 20 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-21-19 04:56:53 PM)

I made chocolate chip cookies from scratch today. I make them for the kids to take to school every week. I'd like to think I'd make a good 1950s mom.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 21 of 39 (Originally posted on: 02-03-19 10:13:15 AM)

This salsa looks very similar to the other one I made but is pretty different so I thought I would post about it

For this salsa, I blended 2 peeled tomatoes, a bunch of roasted garlic, 1 roasted habanero, dried epazote, cumin, raw red onion, lime juice, and a small amount of mango. The mango and habanero give it a pretty nice fruity flavor, and the mango was super ripe and gave the salsa a great smooth consistency.

If I made this salsa again, I would use some type of dried chili instead of the habanero. I think the roasty flavors of the dried chili would complement the fruity mango. Also, with the habanero, it came out a bit spicier than I would have liked, so I hope it will calm down after sitting in the fridge for a while.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 22 of 39 (Originally posted on: 02-03-19 10:14:01 AM)

I wish I could buy tomatillos in Germany
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 23 of 39 (Originally posted on: 02-04-19 09:08:41 AM)

I'll ship you some if you want. Not sure how that would work
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 39 (Originally posted on: 02-04-19 11:42:17 AM)

seems not worth what it would cost to send them. if i go across town there's a place that sells them for like €13/kg , about 7 dollars a pound which is a lot to pay for tomatillos. Also the german post takes forever to deliver packages from the US, usually if my mom mails me something it takes like 2-4 weeks
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 657 | Total Posts: 39 ]