Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > So now that I know what you look like, what do you do? And bonus questions! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 4069 | Total Posts: 88 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Bassists never get no love, man.

Ballkicks: (+486 / -101)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-17-16 02:52:58 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

What the hell do you people do all day? How can you pay for all of the pointless things you fill your life with?

What's the hardest thing about your job? What's the most rewarding thing about it?

If you've done it for more than a year, what keeps you doing it?

I'm the head chef of a restaurant run by a relatively famous chef. I've been doing it for the last seven years and I can't actually afford the things I fill my life with, but most of them are food and booze, which are never pointless.

Hardest thing is finding enough time to actually feel like I'm not always playing catch-up, followed by trying to produce quality work from uninterested adult-children. Most rewarding is when I actually feel like I've reached someone, or work with someone who actually "gets it."

I keep doing it because everyone has to eat, I have a creative outlet that's also a craft, and I don't have any interests that are more appealing than food.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 1 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-17-16 07:37:18 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I work freelance as a copywriter, journalist, and translator. I've lived in Berlin for the past five and a half years. It's pretty cheap to live here, which allows me to minimize the time I spend working quite a bit, usually I end up working around 25 or 30 hours per week.

My job isn't a huge part of my life really. It's a way that I get money, and though I am very happy to get paid to do something I mostly enjoy, I don't find the work very fulfilling. Freelancing has gotten easier over time; work comes in more easily now than it did when I was starting out, and I get paid more. But at times the job does feel a bit like treading water, it's hard to feel a real "career path" or sense of accomplishment or even improvement, really. Simply being able to charge more money for my work doesn't really make it more intrinsically valuable to me or my sense of like, self-worth.

But I like my life here. I have a lot of free time to work on art and other things that I don't get paid for, and that's important to me. I have a lot of time to spend with my friends. And I value the freedom that my job's flexibility affords me. I travel pretty frequently, something I enjoy a lot and seems to be just about the best thing to spend my money on right now.

I've been fairly ready to move back to the United States soon, but I think that to survive in the US, I'd have to give up freelancing and go back to working in an office. I'd need to spend more time working, which is a prospect I have a hard time justifying to myself—why leave an easy, fun life in Berlin to move back to the US and spend more time working for a lower quality of life? But I also have a sense that my life here isn't really going anywhere, and maybe it's time for a change. I kinda just wish I could get excited about that change.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 2 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-17-16 07:59:42 AM)

I do research full-time to complete my PhD. It pays me just enough (debatable). I've been doing research and graduate school for around 6 years now, which alone is a good reason to keep doing it until it's finished. But also I keep doing it because I really enjoy doing it, there is a lot of freedom to explore and develop your own stuff in your own way. The hardest thing is the fact that there is no guarantee that there is anything interesting down any path you choose to explore, so you can (and I have) end up wasting months of hard work only to end up with nothing worth mentioning. The most rewarding thing is when some path you're exploring for the first time ends up working and doing something cool, and you know you're the first person in history to ever discover that particular thing.

I want to ask what restaurant you're at but I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to say. I'd say that I'd come in for dinner but it sounds fancy and expensive and I don't know if I should be eating at such places right now lol.
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 3 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-17-16 03:18:47 PM)

I do IT for a small IT firm that has about 40 clients which are small to medium sized businesses. I do it because I know how and it earns me a pretty good paycheck considering I never finished college. I enjoy helping people solve problems and that's basically what my job is so it's alright.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 4 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-17-16 05:11:55 PM)

Woah, is this PsychoRabbit from like 2001 HG? That's a name I haven't seen in a while.

I'm currently working as a post-doctoral researcher in the chemical engineering department at MIT. Being a post-doc is sort of in between being a grad student and being a professor, where the bulk of my job is doing science and a smaller part is raising money to do science.

My experiments involve using DNA molecules to test the physics of squishy thingy strings. My PhD research was about squishing molecules into really small tubes, and my current project is about tying the molecules in knots and stretching them out, both of which are accomplished with various electric fields. Here's a video of a molecule with a knot in it being stretched and unstretched. https://gfycat.com/SelfassuredFoolishIvorybackedwoodswallow The molecule is like 50 microns long when stretched out, to give you a sense of scale. I do this because A. it's cool and I like science, B. it helps us understand how knots affect the properties of polymers, and C. it might help with some genetic sequencing technology down the road. When I'm in the lab I'm basically manipulating these electric fields and watching the molecule on the screen. When I'm not in the lab I'm analyzing the data or reading papers...or just diddling on the internet.

Besides the fuckery of day-to-day lab work, science is really hard and I feel under a lot of pressure to get results quickly, but you can't really rush it and doing so leads to sloppy science, so I basically have to hope things work out. One of my favourite aspects is discovering something that nobody has ever discovered before; it's a unique feeling.

A year ago I was planning on finishing my PhD and getting a corporate job, but around March a paper I wrote in my spare time, about falling through the centre of the Earth, became really popular and I was a famous scientist for like two weeks, and that convinced me to stay in science for at least a few more years. Around that time the MIT opportunity came about, so I took it.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 5 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-17-16 06:07:27 PM)

I've been a freelance video game translator for 5 years now. I don't translate big titles or anything, they're just free-to-play browser games, but within that niche the company I do most of my translating for is relatively important, so I can't comlain. Looks stable, too, but you never know - after all, stability isn't very common in my line of work, or in theirs.

I really like it. I get to put my love of languages to use (although these days I barely translate from German, so that's not so good) and since it's video games instead of the dull legal or business translations many of my colleagues are doing, it's also quite creative. The settings vary wildly from one game to the next and therefore so does the language I need to use, which is fun. It does get very repetitive sometimes, because so are the games themselves (browser MMROPGs, casual Farmville clones, you get the idea), and oh god the puns they use are terrible and a pain to translate, but overall I enjoy it. Plus I have almost absolute freedom to work whenever I want, wherever I want, so that's great even if I don't actually do much with that freedom other than getting up super late in the morning.

I'm not entirely comfortable with working in the free-to-play industry, even in such an ancillary capacity, but this company is not too bad so I can live with that. At least they treat their translators well enough and they usually give us plenty of time to do our tasks, which is more than can be said of the likes of EA and what have you. Because of that, I'm not sure I'd actually like to work on, er, "proper" games, but it is still tempting. I mean, I should have goals, shouldn't I.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 6 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-18-16 03:25:39 AM)

Quote:
I mean, I should have goals, shouldn't I.
freelancing is weird like that right?
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 7 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-18-16 04:33:22 PM)

I just started work as a school library technician (a school librarian, but the library world is concerned about the terminology and titles - I don't have my Master's of Library Science, so I am not a Librarian, technically). It has some bummer administrative tasks like purchasing a bunch of books (which, to be fair, is also sometimes good) and dealing with publishers constantly selling deals on not-great books and book maintenance, but pretty much everything else about it is great and the best. The kids (and the teachers) have a great time every time they come into the library/Learning Commons, and it's only going to get better. I also get to read stories to kids Monday-Friday, and that's amazing.

I don't really know all the ins and outs of the job yet, because I've only been at it a short time, but it seems like a really good fit for me. I don't feel great about what I'm doing, but I think that's only because I haven't settled in and started to run the place the way I want to be able to. Once I'm at the point where kids are excited to come to the library and read and play and the teachers are pumped about it, too, then I'm golden. That's pretty much it.
how is this for a quote
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 8 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-18-16 06:55:30 PM)

I work at a small OEM in the oil and natural gas industry. I personally do all of the electrical design work that the main (only) electrical engineer is either to hung over to do or doesn't want to do out of sheer sloth. My second job is sitting in class with bored teenagers learning about topics like Math 2413 and Phys 2425. Fortunately I get paid well for both and spend my money on expensive craft beer and trying to impress other people I meet.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Dong Kollector Jax
INTL Dick Twisters

[CEMETARY MAN (1994) SPOILERS]

Ballkicks: (+136 / -33)
Reg. Date: Feb 2009
Reply 9 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-20-16 04:22:23 PM)

How do you feel about the accuracy of this article, Mr. Ice?

http://safariholidaysgoingct.tumblr.com/post/137607864851/how-to-be-a-good-freelance-writer
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 10 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-20-16 05:21:30 PM)

I read two paragraphs and wanted to shoot myself in the head. I assume the author did that on purpose... but why?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 11 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-21-16 08:41:14 AM)

A computer wrote that I guess
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 12 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-21-16 08:49:15 AM)

it makes about as much sense as my actual career though so i'll allow it
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 13 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-21-16 09:52:14 AM)

I've been selling drugs legally for the last 10 years for one of the major chains. I'm very good at my job, and the pharmacies that I manage are regularly the top performing stores in the district. Although I'm not the best at managing, I do create a fun, efficient work environment. Despite all the pitfalls of retail, the job affords me the opportunity to explore different activities where I live (with the exception of where I currently live, which is a total hellhole, but I am getting out of here in less than 2 weeks). I would like to pursue a more clinical position in my career, but it is very competitive/saturated, and I lack the qualifications to do so. *sigh* One day though!

Thank you for making this thread; it has been an interesting read.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 14 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-22-16 11:48:48 AM)

I'm finishing up a professional degree in political management (lobbyist/government/political jobs). I do legal/policy analysis for a telecom investment firm. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the federal government on whether I'll be accepted as a military or foreign affairs adviser. On the side I'm a certified personal trainer at a nearby gym and an administrator/co-owner of a popular heavy metal website.

As far as policy analysis/political management goes, the hardest thing is finding enough time to relax; I'm usually up very early in the morning and home late at night. That's the nature of the field I guess. It is pretty awesome to know that I am giving advice that has an actual impact and people will make decisions off of it.

Being a personal trainer is pretty cool - I love helping people reach their fitness goals and get fit properly. So that's the most rewarding part about that. It's sometimes a struggle getting committed clients, though, and when they wont listen to you and fail you feel awful. I like having this job outside of my "day job" just because it's something I love doing, and helps to keep me fit and active too.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 15 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-22-16 12:28:20 PM)

From personal experience, I can't commit to a trainer because I can't afford to see one regularly
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 16 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-22-16 07:15:37 PM)

Nt
This reply was last edited on 05-06-16 05:42:10 AM by flaming arrow.
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 17 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-22-16 11:22:31 PM)

I'm an embedded software / hardware developer. I write C and ASM code for the little ~$1 black squares that live in literally every fucking thing, from simple blinking party decorations all the way up to Tesla Model S/X body controllers. I'm also still stuck in school working on a EE master degree so I have exactly $0 to throw around on luxury items, but given that at least three major tech companies (one of which starts with "T" and ends with "esla") are practically begging me to hurry up and finish school, I don't imagine that in a few months I'll have trouble paying for anything. That'll be nice.

Programming is hard. Embedded programming is fucking terrible. If you can't think in a local-linear or global-branch manner, you're already fucked, get the fuck out. Now mix in the fact that a microcontroller is a tiny little black piece of plastic with *maybe* 32KB of flash space and *possibly* 2Kb of RAM, which means you can't even afford a simple routine that prints characters to a terminal, and debugging gets real fucking difficult. Then on top of *that* you might have to deal with the vendor's crappy compiler or shitty debugger, and the challenge is even greater. Then there could be something physically wrong with the silicon inside the chip because the engineer fucked up, and you have to find a work-around for some broken feature that may or may not make itself obvious when your application shits itself into another dimension and destroys some $10k+ motor drive unit or whatever.

Oh, also, unless you can afford to run some kind of OS, your code will run on the bare-metal, which means if you want to do more than one thing at once your code will need to use interrupts... with varying levels of priority... which may or may not cause too much execution latency and fuck everything up.

Once the software gets running in a clean lab environment, it's time to worry about EMI, shitty power supplies, oscillators that are 5% out of tune because they got too hot or whatever, cheap Chinese parts that are 20% out of spec on a good day... or maybe your PCB is fucked because you connected the wrong trace to the wrong thing and the entire board exploded when it got plugged in. Honestly I'm amazed that anything computerized works at all. The fact that some cars can run 20 years without any computer problems is an absolute fucking miracle.

The best bugs are the ones that appear once in a blue moon and can't be replicated. All you can do in that case is cross your fingers and hope to god that the rocket doesn't blow up on the way to orbit because an I2C bus tripped over the 1:1000000 chance of locking up hard.

All of that sounds like a giant pile of shit that no sane person would ever want to deal with. For some reason it just all makes sense to me. I find it rewarding because I'm one of few that can somehow sling all this stuff together and get it to work. I love having someone come up to me and say "We need a fucking miracle by unreasonable deadline. Can you do it?" Well fuck yes I can motherfucker, why the fuck do you think I'm here? Whack whack, 6 hours later, a data acq system, or a multi-CAN bus diagnostic system with terminal interface, or some motor controller software magically appears and the day is saved... until tomorrow, when someone else needs something yesterday.

I guess it feels a bit like being a super hero.
"you could be eviscerated by a backwoods texan hillbilly and STILL have the energy to get pissed off that the guy's desktop was covered in icons" lol
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 18 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-23-16 03:36:37 AM)

How long until you finish your degree and can get me a sweet discount on a new car?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 19 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-23-16 07:00:44 PM)

I also want a car with a 1:1000000 chance of blowing up because of a software bug that tpc can't fix.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 20 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-24-16 10:27:22 AM)

Nt
This reply was last edited on 05-06-16 05:42:51 AM by flaming arrow.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 21 of 88 (Originally posted on: 01-28-16 06:45:47 PM)

Quote:
What the hell do you people do all day? How can you pay for all of the pointless things you fill your life with?

I'm a kindergarten teacher. I boss around 13 drunk midgets all day, hoping that by the end of it, they'll be slightly less stupid than when they walked in. I also babysit on the side, which nets me an extra few dollars here and there.

Quote:
What's the hardest thing about your job?

I honestly haven't had to deal with irate parents too much. Mostly it's the kids themselves, sometimes they can be insufferable.

Quote:
What's the most rewarding thing about it?

Also the kids. Watching them grow into more competent human beings is a great feeling. It's also neat to see the unique personal effects you impart to the kids. I've sparked several obsessions for kids, which is cool.

Quote:
If you've done it for more than a year, what keeps you doing it?

I've been teaching in some form for nearly 7 years. It's fun, never boring, and I get to be creative at work. Plus, I know that I have a very real impact in our world. In some way, my legacy will live on in these kids I teach.

I love my job. It's unique.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 22 of 88 (Originally posted on: 02-03-16 03:16:36 AM)

I'm in IT and was a consultant for many years but now I've got a permanent role for an educational institute. I'm in devops (lol) - a word I never use when I'm not marketing myself. Half sysadmin dealing with installing, patching, upgrading and fixing fucking application stacks that shit themselves and blame each other, and half programmer trying to code my way out of doing the first half by making code do it automatically.

Working in education is good. I'm part of a big IT team keeping everything working for teachers, students, researchers etc so now I feel like my cluster headaches and coffee binging is the leading to educational progress in the world, and not towards selling more cheap shit to people via flashy websites. It pays well because I still live in Australia where you get paid a lot, because everything costs a lot. I don't really like shiny things so I basically just put the money on my giant mortgage. I keep doing it because in my down time I can watch NBA and write stories.
bradism.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 88 (Originally posted on: 02-03-16 03:35:16 AM)

Brad are you published or have you wanted to look at that? Do you have a blog or somewhere that you put your stories (where people can read them)? What city do you live in anyway
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 24 of 88 (Originally posted on: 02-05-16 03:15:42 AM)

Hey Ice. The only thing I've ever published was a music reviews for a local paper in 2008-2010. now it's all personal. I do have my blog still (see sig).

I finished writing a novel in December, I might try and get that published but I'm currently leaving it to simmer before editing. All my other stories turn out at about 18,000 words which is a very bad word count for publishing.

I live in Adelaide and Sydney over the years, I bought my house/live in Adelaide 99% of the time now. My novel is set in Sydney kekeke u give soj???

BTW are you still in Berlin?
bradism.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4069 | Total Posts: 88 ]