Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > GOP Death Spiral IV: The Trumpening > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] [ Thread Views: 7098 | Total Posts: 192 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Ballkicks: (+1764 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-29-15 09:58:19 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So the time has come for me to own up to something. I was wrong. I made some rash predictions in the last threads, and now it's time to admit that they didn't come true. You probably know what I'm talking about already. I mean this:

Quote:
2012 is such a hard year to beat for the republican primary. I feel like this year had potential to be great, but they crammed in so many joke characters that the whole thing has just started to feel a bit contrived

I was wrong. It's looking great this year!

So anyone want to make some predictions about what's going to happen? It seems like some of the media has started to catch on to the GOP's radicalization problem:

Quote:
The party might nominate Trump, in which case the establishment will have lost all control. Or party leaders might somehow find a way to defeat him, in which case they will have lost the allegiance of much of the base. In either event, the GOP we once knew is irredeemably a thing of the past.

So what do you think it will be? Will the GOP establishment allow him to run on the republican ticket, even if that means certain electoral failure? If they don't let him run, then they risk him running on an independent ticket and fucking them over that way. He's certainly spiteful enough.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 1 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 11:34:15 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

8 Years ago I thought you were full of shit but I think you may be on to something now
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 2 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 11:36:13 AM)

I remember reading after the last debate that it looked like GOP leaders had threatened/bribed him to reel it in and also not run 3rd party.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
D
Champagne Roomies

POUR MILK DOWN MY THROAT WHILE I LOB THIS GRENADE

Ballkicks: (+1936 / -91)
Reply 3 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 11:48:59 AM)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rupert-murdoch-is-deviant-scum-20151013

Quote:
Murdoch's genius is that he always found ways to hit new lows without hitting absolute bottom. He created a political propaganda network whose next step down was the Third Reich. But he's been careful to never go there, likely not because it's wrong, but because that next step scares advertisers just ask Glenn Beck.

Along comes Trump, who wants not just to cross that invisible line, but race past it. He's pitching voters on the idea that Rupert's news network is a sellout establishment plant because it won't go there, and a good number of them are buying.

Now Murdoch has to worry how low he'll have to go to keep his street cred. His network wasted no time backing Trump's "Mexicans are rapists" comments. But they've been paralyzed, for instance, over the difficult question of whether or not women are fat menstruating pigs.

balls
D
Champagne Roomies

Reply 4 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 11:50:58 AM)

Ice I remember when we were hanging out I told my prediction was that there was no way this election was going to be a boring business-as-usual affair. I'm willing to own up to being right about that.
balls
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 5 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 11:55:22 AM)

Yeah I had no idea Trump would last this long
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator
Eiffle Towers: 6969

someone bitter is after my ass

Ballkicks: (+561 / -30)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 6 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 12:23:51 PM)

Trump is basically a cocaine fueled muppet and I'm glad of him.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1305 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 7 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 02:10:00 PM)

Quoted from ice wolverine:
It seems like some of the media has started to catch on to the GOP's radicalization problem:

Quote:
The party might nominate Trump, in which case the establishment will have lost all control. Or party leaders might somehow find a way to defeat him, in which case they will have lost the allegiance of much of the base. In either event, the GOP we once knew is irredeemably a thing of the past.

Wait, "the GOP we once knew"? What are they referring to? For my lifetime and at least a generation prior, it seems that they were always somewhere between out of touch and repulsive in their rhetoric, and sneaky and disgusting in their actions to a large extent internationally.
how is this for a quote
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 8 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 03:01:25 PM)

He's talking about how whatever weird mutant the Tea Party has morphed into by 2016 vs traditional Reagan/Bush type republicans
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 9 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 03:02:35 PM)

For instance recall the effort Bush went to in order to emphasize that the war on terror was not a war on Islam. Pretty much impossible to imagine any of the 2016 candidates doing that.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 10 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 04:57:38 PM)

Republicans are cowards. They're progressives in the same vein that Democrats are and they have nothing but contempt for their voter base. More disturbingly, they apologize for every minor offense either real or imagined by the people who hate them in the media. Republicans can't even stand up for their principles because, fundamentally, they don't have any which are entirely distinct from their supposed opponents: the Democrats.

Trump is a greedy businessman. Notice, importantly, that he is a man. This is a distinction because most politicians are absolute ninnies who fear the shrill demands of BLM activists more than they fear a nuclear confrontation with Russia over poor foreign policy.

I personally hope the GOP decays into a festering pile of bile after Trump devours it. In its absence, Americans can finally see for themselves the true meaninglessness of their electoral system. Maybe some will be unafraid to pull back the curtain just a little further and see a glimmer of the power structure that actually controls this country. Hint, hint...it doesn't care whether it's called "Democrat" or "Republican".

"In Egypt," says Clement of Alexandria, "the sanctuaries of the temples are shaded by curtains of golden tissue. But on going further into the interior in quest of the statue, a priest of grave aspect, advancing to meet you and chanting a hymn in the Egyptian tongue, slightly raises a veil to show you the god. And what do you behold ? A crocodile, or some indigenous serpent, or other dangerous animal, the Egyptian god being a brute rolling about on a purple carpet."

--Taine, French Revolution
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
This reply was last edited on 12-29-15 05:12:55 PM by atlas sighed (at me).
flaming arrow

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1255 / -281)
Reply 11 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-29-15 05:22:24 PM)

Then there's the DNC, actively trying to sabotage Bernie's campaign.

This country is fucked.
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 12 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 01:42:42 AM)

Quoted from atlas sighed (at me):

I personally hope the GOP decays into a festering pile of bile after Trump devours it. In its absence, Americans can finally see for themselves the true meaninglessness of their electoral system. Maybe some will be unafraid to pull back the curtain just a little further and see a glimmer of the power structure that actually controls this country. Hint, hint...it doesn't care whether it's called "Democrat" or "Republican".

So what happens? Do you think this power structure likes Trump? Does it dislike him?

What do you think about Sanders, anyway? As the other outsider candidate here. I guess Trump is a much better fit for your nihilism but I imagine certain aspects of Sanders' platform appeal to you
Run Silent Run Drapes
Administrator
Eiffle Towers: 6969

someone bitter is after my ass

Ballkicks: (+561 / -30)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 13 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 09:57:09 AM)

For instance recall the effort Bush went to in order to emphasize that the war on terror was not a war on Islam. Pretty much impossible to imagine any of the 2016 candidates doing that.

We are flying closer and closer to fascism like a moth to a bug zapper. I wish I were being hyperbolic. :/
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 14 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 12:30:16 PM)

Serious question: who would win Trump vs Sanders?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 15 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 02:00:29 PM)

My guess is Sanders but that would sure be a weird election. I wonder how it could end up like that.

I suppose if somehow Sanders knocks Clinton out quickly. But I just don't see the Republican establishment allowing Trump to get the nomination.
D
Champagne Roomies

Reply 16 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 05:47:23 PM)

I don't rely on polls too much, but for what it's worth:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-sanders

And there was also this recent poll that got a lot of attention:

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/264023-in-blockbuster-poll-sanders-destroys-trump-by-13
balls
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 17 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 08:40:11 PM)

So what happens? Do you think this power structure likes Trump? Does it dislike him?

What do you think about Sanders, anyway? As the other outsider candidate here. I guess Trump is a much better fit for your nihilism but I imagine certain aspects of Sanders' platform appeal to you

It obviously dislikes him. Don't you see the daily denouncements in the media apparatus?

Sanders is a clown. He is a coward who couldn't ever hope to hold his own against people like Putin. He is out of his depth in politics and is the essence of a "feel good" candidate like Jimmy Carter. People like him are worthless in a world of evil and brutality. They are better served in the colloquial atmosphere of institutional politics.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 18 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 09:15:16 PM)

Also, why do you interpret me as "nihilistic"?

Do you genuinely see a future in American politics? If you do, you should get your head examined. There is nothing to look forward to. Politics, in America's future, will be a contest between thinly veiled ethnic identity groups competing for scraps of federal welfare.

Welcome to the thunderdome, losers.
flaming arrow

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1255 / -281)
Reply 19 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-30-15 10:48:17 PM)

My guess is Sanders but that would sure be a weird election. I wonder how it could end up like that.

I suppose if somehow Sanders knocks Clinton out quickly. But I just don't see the Republican establishment allowing Trump to get the nomination.

My dream scenario is a sorta repeat of the 1968 election, except with Sanders in Nixon's spot, Rubio/Bush/Whoever in Humphrey's spot, and Trump running as a third party like Wallace. More likely to turn out like the 2000 election, though. Trump doesn't win any electorals but he splits the Republican votes enough that the Democrats win states they might not usually. I think Sanders could easily carry the blue states and with a third party fracturing the Republican base he could carry the battleground states.
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 20 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-31-15 02:04:46 AM)

Also, why do you interpret me as "nihilistic"?

Do you genuinely see a future in American politics? If you do, you should get your head examined. There is nothing to look forward to. Politics, in America's future, will be a contest between thinly veiled ethnic identity groups competing for scraps of federal welfare.

I guess you've kind of confused nihilism with pessimism. How have you not figured out that we agree on most of the general trends and concepts here? Except obviously for your bizarre obsession with race and masculinity. I'm just as pessimistic as you bro, I'm just way less hateful and bitter about it.

Quote:
I think Sanders could easily carry the blue states and with a third party fracturing the Republican base he could carry the battleground states.

I am not so sure. I think it's a big, big question what will happen if/when the media finally focuses its muddy gaze on Sanders (which will need to happen if Clinton somehow drops out). What will happen to the Sanders campaign once the media is forced to actually give it due consideration and attention?

Obviously the media isn't sure what will happen either, so they're taking the safe route and just trying to pretend that he doesn't exist. But it's possible that he might fall apart under the spotlight, not because of his own inability, but just because of the media's power to characterize his campaign a certain way due to his own lack of allies there.
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 21 of 192 (Originally posted on: 12-31-15 02:06:29 AM)

I think it's cool to imagine what a Sanders foreign policy would look like. My guess is "not much." And I think the world would be a better place for it.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 22 of 192 (Originally posted on: 01-01-16 07:28:04 PM)

I still don't understand the primary system, so can you explain how the party could turn down the candidate that its members nominate?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
D
Champagne Roomies

Reply 23 of 192 (Originally posted on: 01-02-16 12:16:06 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:

I still don't understand the primary system, so can you explain how the party could turn down the candidate that its members nominate?

Oops, you made the mistake of thinking US elections are an exercise in democracy. Don't be embarrassed, it happens a lot.

As I understand it, the party delegates are not technically bound to do what they are generally expected to do. In other words, depending on the party and the state, they ordinarily cast their votes for candidates as a reflection of how the voters in their state voted, but they aren't bound to do that. If the RNC doesn't want to nominate Trump, I don't believe they technically have to.
balls
ice wolverine
Global Moderator

Gay Turtle and Ass

Reply 24 of 192 (Originally posted on: 01-02-16 02:57:26 AM)

They also have a lot of "soft power" to revise rules and the way things work, like, for instance, what the DNC pulled with Sanders a week ago

There's also this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokered_convention
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7098 | Total Posts: 192 ]