Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > CAR WARS > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2522 | Total Posts: 39 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Dong Kollector Jax
INTL Dick Twisters

[CEMETARY MAN (1994) SPOILERS]

Ballkicks: (+136 / -33)
Reg. Date: Feb 2009
(Originally posted on: 03-18-15 08:16:35 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

My chest is so cold. I've already ripped my FUCKING shirt halfway open.

Today, I'm declaring WAR! FUCK IT! I'm going to learn EACH AND EVERY LITTLE THING that makes a car work, down to the level of FUNDAMENTAL PROPERTIES. I'll post things as I learn them here. I'm so fucking angry and filled with passion that I may make mistakes, so feel free to correct them if you see any. I suspect I'll end up correcting them myself either way.

BOOK 1: FOUNDATION
This section will deal with the foundational physical science behind car composition and mechanics.
CHAPTER 1: ATOMIC STRUCTURE
Empirical observation indicates that matter is comprised of tiny, round particles called "atoms." Those atoms are actually clouds of electrons that form pretty little orbital patterns around a center structure: the "nucleus." We'll get into electrons a bit later in this book, but for right now, you can imagine it like this: the electrons are tiny balls like to fly around the nucleus in the center because they're horny for it but can never quite reach it. The nucleus itself, DEEP INSIDE, is comprised of protons and neutrons bound together using the strong nuclear force.

Protons are positively charged, and electrons are negatively charged. Like charges repel, and opposite charges attract. Why, then, are the protons packed together in that nucleus not repelling each other? Simple: an even stronger force is keeping them together.

The Strong Force binds the protons/neutrons in nuclei together and gives them 98% of their mass ("mass" being their resistance to changes in speed and direction when moving, which is closely associated with the concept of "amount of matter"). We don't know why that is; as is the case with most fundamental properties, we just narrow down the magic of the Universe as much as we can to understand its mechanics, but don't necessarily know why things are the way they are beyond a certain point. A certain amount of mass is just something certain objects have: a "stat" that will come into play when you try to move it or change its direction while moving.

(In fact, we can't be 100% sure that the Strong Force as we conceptualize it even exists, but it seems to reliably explain our experimentation results. Apply that rule to most of the things discussed here.)

The reason why a nucleus needs neutrons in ADDITION to protons is because, even with the strong nuclear force factored in, two adjacent protons (which both have a positive charge) will still repel each other because the electromagnetic effects of their charges are just that strong if they're butting heads. Hence, the Strong Nuclear Force creates a uniform mixture of particles where the neutrons act as "walls" between protons. That's why, in an atomic diagram, you don't see a nucleus split down the middle in terms of composition, but a fairly even spread of those two particles:

Atoms were formerly thought to be fundamental (irreducible) particles until we discovered all this weird shit inside them. So were protons and neutrons, but in fact, those two little "nucleons" are comprised of quarks. Just as electrons form their clouds by "orbiting the nucleus really fast," quarks form spherical clouds by "chasing each other really fast," which creates a proton or a neutron.

Quarks have six different flavors, or states of being. It's kind of like a quark going from Super Saiyan 1 to Super Saiyan 2 and, finally Super Saiyan 3... or Opposite Super Saiyan, Opposite Super Saiyan 1, and Opposite Super Saiyan 3. On both sides, it's almost impossible for the quark to remain in Level 2 or Level 3 for more than a few microseconds, unless it has extremely high energy. What that means, in real terms, is this:

Quarks have six flavors: up, charm, top, down, strange and bottom. Within each group (differentiated here by color), the only difference between those flavors is how much mass the quark has. Up and down quarks are the most common and the least-massive kind of quark: the other four are usually only created in particle accelerators or hardcore Outer Space explosions, and even then, they're going to decay into Up or Down quarks in a matter of microseconds. So, in other words, a charm or top quark will devolve into an up quark, and a strange or bottom quark will devolve into a down quark, so we're really only talking about up and down quarks when we talk about practical applications of this shit.

We have no fucking idea why quarks have six different flavors, or why flavors have the masses they do. This is what Physicists call the "flavor problem." We also don't know what's inside quarks: whether they really are fundamental particles, or whether this circlejerk of bizarre subsystems continues millions of times over. We do, however, know that another force, the weak interaction, causes quarks to decay (change flavors). Usually, in a practical sense, that means an up quark becoming a down quark or vice versa. We'll get into the weak interaction in the next chapter, since it has to do with fields.

The difference between a proton and neutron is that a proton is comprised of two up quarks and one down quark, while a neutron is comprised of two down quarks and one up quark. A down quark has a charge of "negative one third." An up quark has a charge of "positive two thirds." That means that, when you add 2/3 + 2/3 + -1/3, you get 3/3, which is +1, which is the charge of one proton. If you add -1/3 + -1/3 + 2/3, you get 0, which is the charge of one neutron. Both protons and neutrons are comprised of three quarks each, but the difference between the two is the flavor of one deciding quark, either up (proton) or down (neutron). This also means that a neutron can become a proton if one of its down quarks decays into an up quark, or vice versa.

As stated before, "positive" and "negative" in physics is used to describe a certain kind of attraction and repulsion exhibited by objects: like charges attract, and unlike charges repulse. We call objects that behave this way dipolar, because it results from two "poles," positive and negative. But what if you had three poles, that is, three points on an object that attract or repulse based on whether they "match up" or not? Instead of positive or negative, we use another system for them, arbitrarily called "color." This is because all of the many hues we see with our eyes are made up of just three Primary Colors mixed together in different ways: either Red, Blue and Green, or Red, Yellow and Blue. We'll use the former system from now on. Quark color isn't literally related to colors any more than positive and negative charges are directly related to addition and subtraction, which lend their signs (+ and -) to describe the two poles.

Just as a quark can be negatively charged (down quark) or positively charged (up quark), separately, quarks can be "blue" charged, "red" charged, or "green" charged, based on that three-pole system. A red-charged, green-charged and blue-charged quark will attract and repulse each other in such a way that they produce continual motion. How?

The green quark is attracted to the red and blue quarks. The blue quark is attracted to the red and green quarks. The red quark is attracted to the green and blue quarks. All three of them are chasing their two respective partners, and this never-ending dance causes a continual motion that "results in the creation" of a round motion cloud, or a sphere. That cloud is either a neutron or a proton, depending on whether it's made of two down quarks and one up quark, or two up quarks and one down quark.

BUT IT DOESN'T STOP THERE!

Imagine if you had two spheres rotating side-by-side, and half of each sphere had a positive charge, and half of each sphere had a negative charge. As positive parts of Sphere 1 "roll by" negative parts of Sphere 2, they will attract. Now, imagine what happens when the "red parts" of one quark cloud (one proton/neutron) roll by the other-colored parts of another quark cloud right beside it. They attract! But there's a difference: since we're working with a system that attracts TWO OTHER kinds of poles (the other two colors), and only repels ONE OTHER kind of pole (the same color), you have a net charge pulling these two spheres, these two quark-clouds, these two protons and/or neutrons, together as they spin and make close contact at different points.

That is the Strong Nuclear Force. MOTHERFUCKING SHAFT ON THIS MOTHERFUCKING PLANE

What about electrons? Why the fuck are those things so small, so fast, so negative, and orbiting so far away from the nucleus? Well, that idea in itself is a little deceptive, but we'll get to that in a bit.

An electron is a type of lepton. Like quarks, a lepton is an elementary particle, meaning we've yet to break it down into anything smaller. And like quarks, leptons can have one of six flavors for reasons unknown. Unlike quarks, however, leptons do not possess color, and hence, are unaffected by the Strong Nuclear Force.

The six "flavors" of leptons are, just like quarks, divided into two categories, except instead of one half having a -1/3 charge (the down/strange/bottom quark group) and one half having the +2/3 charge (the up/charm/top quark group), leptons have either a charge of -1 (electrons, muons and taus) or 0 (the three neutrino variations). Electrons, muons and taus are differentiated by their masses (electrons being the lowest, and taus being the highest), and the only difference between the three kinds of neutrinos are their three different masses. And, just like with quark flavors, muons and taus will decay in microseconds into electrons (their lowest-mass variation) in almost all situations. As you can see, "neutrinos" get their name because they are the neutral flavor of the lepton.

Previously, you may have imagined the "orbiting" of electrons and "chasing" of quarks in understandable terms: being little balls that orbit a nucleus or chase each other so fast they create a sphere. But what are those "balls" made of? Well, they're not "balls" at all.

If I throw a ball, and that ball bounces back, did it hit something that has mass and bounce off? Yeah. But is that "mass" actually a solid object in the way we think of solidity? Apparently not: not any more than a video game involves actual objects hitting each other, rather than a bunch of mathematical fields in the game engine interacting with each other in certain programmed ways so that objects appear to bounce off of each other.

When scientists first started delving into this stuff, they learned about electrons and protons and neutrons in a way that suggested they were solid little spheres: the electrons being really tiny, fast balls "orbiting the nucleus" from far off. But how did they know that for sure? If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and smells like a duck, it could be a fucking robot for all you know. Subatomic particles "looked" like microscopic balls, but eventually it became more and more clear that they don't act like them.

After all, we just "see" something because light gets absorbed by its electrons and spit back out, then shot all the way to our fucking optic nerves, causing neural signals to go all the way to sensory output in our brain. But what was that light "bouncing off" in the first place? Those electrons don't have to be solid objects. They can be fields that interact with the light waves. And if that's so, then what we think to be "balls" could be "ball-like phenomena" on a microscopic level, and that's what electrons seem to be, because the damn things aren't behaving like a ball should half the fucking time.

Our experiments show that electrons sometimes behave like a particle, and sometimes behave like a wave. In order to (perhaps) understand this, we're going to delve into Fields in the next chapter.
This reply was last edited on 03-24-15 03:59:52 PM by Dong Kollector Jax.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-18-15 10:13:23 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You put gas in them
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-15 06:41:23 AM)

Quoted from ice wolverine:
You put gas in them

Some cars, the automatic ones, allow you to put the car in "D" and just go.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 3 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-15 04:08:43 PM)

I like this thread. Actually just yesterday I was thinking about writing some kind of tutorial for how to solve a fairly complex engineering problem in my area starting from nothing, assuming the reader doesn't know anything other than how to read and understand basic English.

That said I think I'm going to skip the explanations of elementary particles part of this thread and try and hop on board a little further down the line. Godspeed, I'll be waiting in Pittsburgh.
balls
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 4 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-15 07:43:14 PM)

This is front page material.
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 5 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-15 07:51:59 PM)

What brought this about, FM?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Dong Kollector Jax
INTL Dick Twisters

Reply 6 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-15 09:53:09 PM)

Quoted from oirassiv:
What brought this about, FM?

It came from:

1. My desire to be able to diagnose car problems if they arise.
2. The idea that the general knowledge of how cars work would be useful, since we live in a world whose lifeblood is vehicular travel.
3. The realization that process of learning how a car works is an excellent "launching pad" from which I'll inevitably learn about a whole slew of other things, from electrical power to hydraulics to air compression to combustion to the transfer of motion. All of those things have their own uses in and out of car-work.
4. Knowing more about the physical workings of the world around me seems like it would make me a lot more confident in navigating it and useful to the people I come across.

It seems to me that the above four things are just part of maturing in life and honing myself into a useful tool. If I'm dropped into a maze, clearly, my purpose would be to work my way out. Perhaps I could even learn to exploit the maze itself. And if I'm dropped on Planet Earth, I should seek to ponder the workings of its technology so that I may more assuredly secure my success in a civilization that relies on that technology.

I've spent about a month learning about different things, from electric circuits to how various car parts work together, looking up alternators and transmissions and spark plugs and voltage and amperage and sway bars and brake pads. I eventually decided it would be a good idea to collect all the information I learn into a thread on INTL, because it helps me organize my thoughts and it might help some other people out.

The more I learn, the more I feel my fingers slipping through the cracks of the ties that bind me to mediocrity. One day, God willing, I will close my fist and break those ties, awash in the knowledge that my competencies make me a good worker toward the end of protecting my family and securing its welfare and advancement. My family will, in turn, be an asset to everyone around it. My wife will look at me and see a contributor to a much greater cause. My children, if I have any, will be secure, and they will see what daddy does and learn to contribute to the machinery of society just like him. Isn't that beautiful?

Perhaps you see, now, how the pieces fit together. Life is a fight, and learning how an automobile works is but one of my first moves to grow in that fight, rather than to recede and wither. For me, this is a CRUSADE. I will wet my sword with blood: the blood every obstacle in my path as I learn the inner workings of the automobile from square one. The goal is survival. The alternative is DEATH. Let the games begin.
Me Gusta
This reply was last edited on 03-19-15 10:28:00 PM by Dong Kollector Jax.
D
Administrator

Reply 7 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-19-15 10:52:39 PM)

I'm loving the energy here!
balls
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 8 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-20-15 06:30:38 AM)

These are all noble and good goals.

Your plan, ignoring the lack of details for its execution, seems well-thought and for good purpose.

What happens you arrive at La Dolce Vita? Will your raison d'Ítre evaporate or will it renew itself in some new form?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Action Jaxon

Leave my waifu alone, you fucks!

Ballkicks: (+6 / -2)
Reg. Date: Dec 2014
Reply 9 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-20-15 06:48:59 AM)

VROOM VROOM! that's my baby <3
Dong Kollector Jax
INTL Dick Twisters

Reply 10 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-20-15 06:50:52 AM)

Quote:
These are all noble and good goals.

Your plan, ignoring the lack of details for its execution, seems well-thought and for good purpose.

What happens you arrive at La Dolce Vita? Will your raison d'Ítre evaporate or will it renew itself in some new form?

My "La Dolce Vita" is just part of fulfilling my "raison d'Ítre." Perhaps we should discuss this further over email.
Me Gusta
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-20-15 08:46:32 PM)

This is good and I look forward to future explanations of things that I have very little idea about. Please keep it relatively accurate, because I hate doing research and I'm an idiot, so I would like to learn from your fun-to-read guide and not be deceived by it.
how is this for a quote
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 12 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-21-15 08:24:02 AM)

I enjoy a good trade of bon mots myself
D
Administrator

Reply 13 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-21-15 12:03:01 PM)

In twelve years this will be a forum of car buffs because we will all have been reading this thread. I look forward to the evolution of INTL.
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 14 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-21-15 12:25:34 PM)

there will be one person. Surpsise it's me
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 15 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-23-15 05:41:08 AM)

I'm gonna soup up my 1997 honda civic and catch all of the fly honeys.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 16 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-23-15 05:41:34 AM)

Just kidding, I own a mini-van and a sensible sedan because I live in the middle of nowhere.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 17 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-23-15 09:02:39 AM)

Not only that but you're a family man.

Also, is this thread going anywhere or is that it?
Dong Kollector Jax
INTL Dick Twisters

Reply 18 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-23-15 09:33:23 AM)

Quoted from Il Papa Orso:

It's going somewhere eventually. I've spent the last several days learning how electrons behave: hopefully it'll "click" enough for me to be able to express it coherently soon.
Me Gusta
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 19 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-24-15 11:34:11 AM)

I am generally interesting to see where this goes.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 20 of 39 (Originally posted on: 03-24-15 02:24:38 PM)

Quoted from Thirsty Detective:

It's going somewhere eventually. I've spent the last several days learning how electrons behave: hopefully it'll "click" enough for me to be able to express it coherently soon.
I really hope you succeed in this. I had a similar experience months ago when I decided I was going to understand how HVAC systems work (I'm in that industry) from every aspect which of course started at the atomic level. I ultimately got stuck in what I was able to find online in how electrons worked and gave up pretty quickly. I love everything about this thread.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 21 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-09-15 02:24:43 PM)

You going to update us on the secrets of the universe or just waste time making pics of people eating steamed cashews.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 22 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-09-15 02:35:59 PM)

The shady ultimatum
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 23 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-12-15 08:53:53 PM)

Quoted from Thirsty Detective:

okay it's more than a few days, how the fuck does my car actually work
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 24 of 39 (Originally posted on: 04-13-15 01:44:18 PM)

tpc is testing you and eventually he will offer to write the operating system for your cars fuel injection
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2522 | Total Posts: 39 ]