Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Movie Pet Peeves > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 973 | Total Posts: 47 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-09-15 10:44:44 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So there's this thing that always bugs me when I see it in movies, I'm not sure if there's an actually term for it so I'll just describe it.

Occasionally during movies you'll hear a character explain what's going on in a scene when that character isn't on screen. Usually that's character is engaging in blatant exposition.

I'm convinced these are added in post production at the behest of studios who think their audience is retarded.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 11:08:11 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Do you mean the literary device known as Narration?
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 2 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 11:11:03 AM)

Possibly
This reply was last edited on 02-09-15 11:18:34 AM by Muzta.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 3 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 01:42:55 PM)

lol
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 4 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:15:38 PM)

I actually think narration in movies is overdone too though. Also exposition in a visual media is really pretty lame actually.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 5 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:18:52 PM)

Oh I should add: I don't like when movies are boring. This includes movies with extraneous action sequences involving characters I don't give a fuck about (I'm basically thinking like 90% of summer blockbusters here)
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 6 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:22:12 PM)

ICE BURN

So do you have an example?
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 7 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:23:31 PM)

I watched a god awful spiderman movie last year and the most interesting part was when his girlfriend died at the end (sorry spoiler alert?)
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 8 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:23:55 PM)

See also: every star wars prequel.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Reply 9 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:28:55 PM)

Quoted from Il Papa Orso:
Oh I should add: I don't like when movies are boring. This includes movies with extraneous action sequences involving characters I don't give a fuck about (I'm basically thinking like 90% of summer blockbusters here)
I've often wondered if there was something wrong with me as those long drawn out action sequences have never been able to excite me. For some reason a high speed chase with cars drifting in and out of traffic while helicopters fire machine guns from above and hot dog stands exploded upon impact just never seemed to fire any neurons in my brain. Its like I'm dead on the inside.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 10 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 02:34:12 PM)

it's because it doesn't matter if the characters involved win or lose, you actually kind of hate every character in the movie, or, at best, allow them to exist with a cool passivity.

Don't worry, it's not you it' them.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 11 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 03:49:46 PM)

is it still narration if the character is just announcing what' happening as part of the dialogue?

I guess it probably is
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 12 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:23:41 PM)

What about in Oceans 11 when they are telling you what is going to happen in the future robbery, but also showing it to you as its happening in the future and this is all happening while everyone is actually in a room in the present. Is that narration?

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 13 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:24:32 PM)

Yes, ffs.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 14 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:35:39 PM)

Interesting. What about in A Christmas Story where the narrator is the kids brain but has a completely different voice than the kid. Is that narration?

Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 15 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:36:39 PM)

I guess I answered my own question since I used the word narrator. But then again the voice makes it so like its a different guy so I don't know...

D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:50:07 PM)

How the hell do you guys define narration if you're on the fence about any of these things?
balls
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 17 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:56:59 PM)

Narration aside, I hate when movies use symbols to represent other ideas or qualities. Just give it to me straight, I don't have all day to figure out what your trying to tell me. Its like watching an angry girlfriend ask you why she is mad at you.

D
Administrator

Reply 18 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 04:58:31 PM)

i hate that movie
balls
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 19 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 05:06:59 PM)

I would general define narration as some a 3rd party describing what's happening witht he targets of said narration not being unaware of it.

I'm speaking more of a situation where let's say the four of us are reading books around a table and I blurt out "we have to study for the test tomorrow or we'll fail!"
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 20 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 05:07:42 PM)

Well if it isn't clear to anyone my performance in this thread has been a comedic parody of Muztas ill thought out assault upon a staple in human story telling from the beginning of time. This my homage to parody which also has ancient roots.

We are all but actors upon the world stage.

~Fin~

Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 21 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 05:10:14 PM)

sorry to subject you to this but this movie was popular with my family so I watched it a lot as a kid, these scene has always stuck with me

(Star Trek, Undiscovered Country)

around the 32 - 38 Second Mark
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 22 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 05:10:56 PM)

I just saw Shady's post, and now I hope he chokes on a bag of dicks
D
Administrator

Reply 23 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 05:14:19 PM)

Quoted from Muzta:
I would general define narration as some a 3rd party describing what's happening witht he targets of said narration not being unaware of it.

I'm speaking more of a situation where let's say the four of us are reading books around a table and I blurt out "we have to study for the test tomorrow or we'll fail!"

In your first post you said it was a character who wasn't on screen? Did you just mean, a character who is in the scene but not in the current shot? I see what you mean in the Star Trek clip, but I don't think I've ever noticed this before. Definitely I can understand why it would get under your skin when it happens.
balls
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 24 of 47 (Originally posted on: 02-09-15 05:19:43 PM)

Quoted from Muzta:
I just saw Shady's post, and now I hope he chokes on a bag of dicks
Why don't you narrate my balls.

There has to be a word for this but after some digging I haven't been able to find it. If done well you barely notice it but if done poorly its very annoying.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 973 | Total Posts: 47 ]