Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Writers' workshop > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1131 | Total Posts: 37 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-15-15 07:03:20 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hey guys. I know that there are a couple (present or aspiring) writers on here and I thought it might be cool to have a thread where we can post links to things we've written, ask for feedback, advice, death threats, money, etc. Is anyone interested in doing something like this?
just_dandy
INTL Premium Member
Unapologetic apostate approaching her apotheosis, how apropos

Ballkicks: (+130 / -4)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 1 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-15-15 08:12:04 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm interested.
Koalas have sharp claws but they are weak. They all small and fat and they be climing trees. I hope a storm just come while theyjust chilling up in the tree thinking they is hard and they're will all just fall off. They just break they neck and shit. When they fall they claws are going to fall off and they going to be crying like some little bitches.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-15-15 09:05:26 AM)

yeah totally.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-15-15 09:12:04 AM)

My contributions would likely be few, but maybe a group is a good way to keep myself accountable or something. The idea is a good one and I endorse this.
how is this for a quote
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 4 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-17-15 02:07:40 AM)

Anyone else? I figured FA would be down

if people were interested, I could organize it a bit more with actual writing prompts, etc. Or we could just start posting stuff?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 5 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-17-15 08:41:19 AM)

I'm down for whatever but writing prompts sounds really fun. Especially since if we post them we can compare what people did and stuff.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-17-15 09:42:31 AM)

I'm more likely to do this than play Diplomacy. Still, I promise nothing.
balls
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 7 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-19-15 05:08:53 AM)

I'll do stuff. I can help with crits, and supply prose worthy of criticism in return.
bradism.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 8 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-22-15 08:49:47 PM)

uh... well I am in a writing mood tonight but since there's no prompt posted and I don't want to work on anything too serious right now, I'll post a prompt from this book of writing exercises I have handy and then I'll write something and post it later. If someone else wants to as well we can all have a party where we rip each other to shreds and stomp on our dreams!

This is from a book I have called "Fiction Writer's Workshop" on the chapter about characters:

Make a character desire something and make the desire his driving force. Then through a scene to create reasons why he can never have what he wants. Let him try to get it at all costs anyway.
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-22-15 09:32:49 PM)

I like to write and I want to write but anytime I try to do any creative writing beyond a paragraph or two of interesting imagery or solipsistic stream of consciousness philosophy, it degenerates into really bad really fast and I throw it away.
balls
D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-22-15 09:33:30 PM)

I don't think I have the patience to craft a narrative or build a character. Sometimes I get a flash of what I think will be a brilliant story or compelling character, and then I write two paragraphs of garbage and think of 100 reasons why it's not interesting and then hate myself.
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 11 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-22-15 09:44:12 PM)

that means you need to practice.
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-22-15 09:50:39 PM)

Think I'll just stick to
Writing really bad haikus
Literature is dead

(you have to pronounce literature hastily for that to work)
balls
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 13 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-23-15 12:50:47 AM)

Yeah I am just working on some edits to a story I wrote last week and then I'll post it
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 14 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-23-15 03:02:52 AM)

Here's a question: who will pay me large sums of money to write short essays (< 5 pages) which are critical of contemporary Western (read: US) society?

Another question: when someone asks you to write something you do not personally believe to be true (or morally, ethically, intellectually, yadda yadda disagree with), how do you create compelling essays supporting the prompt? Or do you even?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 15 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-23-15 03:46:38 AM)

Quoted from oirassiv:
Here's a question: who will pay me large sums of money to write short essays (< 5 pages) which are critical of contemporary Western (read: US) society?
If you don't have a portfolio, no one.

Quote:
Another question: when someone asks you to write something you do not personally believe to be true (or morally, ethically, intellectually, yadda yadda disagree with), how do you create compelling essays supporting the prompt? Or do you even?
Didn't you have to write essays in school? It's like that I guess
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 16 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-26-15 09:47:10 AM)

Okay, here is the story I've been writing for the past week or so

ON THE ICE - Google Doc

if you feel inclined to, you can add comments / suggested edits / whatever on the document by using the comment feature. That would be cool

Thanks for reading everybody
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 17 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-26-15 09:54:41 AM)

I guess I'll write a little about what I'm going for. Kind of trying to give a sense of the scale of the universe and like how small man's place is there, and also to talk a bit about being alone. I showed a first version of this story to some people, and the major crit that I got was that the story needed more action, and that it needed to focus more on the character. This is version 2. I am wondering if I managed to integrate the criticism with the edits I did, I think I was probably only partially successful.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 18 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-26-15 12:52:11 PM)

Please don't hate or resent me. I finished reading the first page and left a lot of potential edits and comments. Feel free to ignore them and the following criticisms:

So far I like the story a lot. The setting reminds me a lot of Jack London's To Build a Fire which, given the subject matter, is a very good thing. The bit about the guy who walked to the north pole from the Russian prison town is so good and needs to stay. That being said, I think it still needs work. Mostly, the first two paragraphs have some issues I think from a linguistic and grammatical standpoint. I really like that the story has a lot of asides and pockets of information but I think they sort of wander off and don't really tie back into the main narrative enough.

These should all be really straightforward fixes. I think otherwise the story is great and very interesting and cool.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 19 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-27-15 01:31:39 AM)

Thanks for taking a look at it. I guess I was more thinking of macro-level criticism related to plot, character development or lack thereof, structure, etc rather than tenses and word choice for the most part but I'll go through your feedback and see what I think about it
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 20 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-27-15 09:19:26 AM)

Haha oops. I got carried away. Ignore it. Here's some more macro level stuff then:

The biggest issue it has for me is that it goes off on these tangents that aren't entirely related to moving the plot forward and then doesn't really ground itself in the drama of the story. The tangents are good though so I feel like they need a little work to get them either 1) more relevant or 2)maybe interspersed with action from the story.

I also think the big drama you want to focus on, the destruction of the arctic, isn't really brought up until page 2 which means as a reader I'm a little lost. I really think the drama of the character trying to survive and make it to the north pole should be brought along side the drama of the destruction of our planet a little bit more. I think it fits thematically with the story as well as it will make the story itself a more compelling and cohesive read.

I'll go back and delete the edits I made.
This reply was last edited on 01-27-15 09:24:45 AM by Trash Mod.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 21 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-27-15 09:35:44 AM)

I went back and focused a little more on the macro side of things rather than making edits. I hope that's more in line with what you were looking for.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 22 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-27-15 04:07:31 PM)

Well, I left a comment, but wouldn't it make more sense to comment in the thread?
how is this for a quote
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 23 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-27-15 07:49:46 PM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
Well, I left a comment, but wouldn't it make more sense to comment in the thread?

forums, as a medium of personal interaction, are obsolete in modern times
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 37 (Originally posted on: 01-27-15 09:17:16 PM)

-A comment, posted on a forum, in 2015
balls
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1131 | Total Posts: 37 ]