Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Hey a lot of you guys like science right? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1191 | Total Posts: 26 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
(Originally posted on: 02-13-14 09:07:11 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

How about lasers?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/12/275896094/scientists-say-their-giant-laser-has-produced-nuclear-fusion

Fusion!
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 1 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-13-14 09:10:54 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Oh right, I just realized I stole this from soccys facebook wall so I guess you probably have already seen this on INTL 6.0 (facebook)
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-13-14 11:43:06 AM)

Sweet
balls
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 3 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-13-14 03:27:35 PM)

Oh god we still have so far to go
Banana Hammock
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 4 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-13-14 05:11:36 PM)

Yeah it's a pretty cool experiment. One of the coolest experiments. It's basically an inverted death star.

Still not viable fusion power yet, but it's progress. It's basically a matter of making a really big magnetic chamber, which is what's being built in France right now.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 5 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-14-14 09:02:41 PM)

its like a scifi movie.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 6 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-14-14 10:09:37 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Yeah it's a pretty cool experiment. One of the coolest experiments. It's basically an inverted death star.

Still not viable fusion power yet, but it's progress. It's basically a matter of making a really big magnetic chamber, which is what's being built in France right now.

My company is working on some of the superconductor wire for ITER, that my friend is an epic cluster fuck.
Banana Hammock
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 7 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-14-14 10:09:38 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:

My company is working on some of the superconductor wire for ITER, that my friend is an epic cluster fuck.
Banana Hammock
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 8 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-15-14 03:53:09 PM)

Tin Niobium?
-ice
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 9 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-16-14 10:18:22 AM)

why is this even significant if they didnt manage to really do anything
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 10 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-16-14 10:31:33 AM)

They used the world's largest laser to force hydrogen to fuse into helium. What's your definition of "really do anything?"
-ice
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 11 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-16-14 10:59:00 PM)

couldn't they already do that
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-16-14 11:18:42 PM)

No apparently not.
balls
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 13 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-17-14 04:07:21 PM)

Not with lasers at least. Speaking of science anyone else excited about the new Cosmos series? Can't tell much from the trailer but it looks like it will be a visual feast at the very least.

Also on the lighter side of science, any thoughts on the Bill Nye evolution vs creation 'debate'?
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 14 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-17-14 05:03:44 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Tin Niobium?

Yup, we work with HTS in certain cases too, which actually has some surprising commercial uses.
Banana Hammock
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 15 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-17-14 08:22:13 PM)

Can you elaborate on any of them?
-ice
D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-17-14 08:48:24 PM)

Quote:
Also on the lighter side of science, any thoughts on the Bill Nye evolution vs creation 'debate'?

Was a moronic idea. Nye is on my shitlist for agreeing to do that. I don't know if it he meant well or he's just a media whore. It served no purpose but to add some gravitas to creationism by putting it on a podium with science. Next week: science vs. astrology. I can hear the post-debate chit-chat now, "Yes, science certainly has its merits, but you must admit that the Cartomancer made some compelling arguments."
balls
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 17 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-18-14 04:19:07 AM)

I agree somewhat. I wish Bill Nye could have started his speech with a disclaimer that though this was touted as a debate it was not an actual debate and that he was not there to debate the merits of science but rather to educate. Something like that may not have gone over great with the crowed but I think its more in line with what Bill tried to do and I would have been more comfortable with that over an Evolution vs Creationism debate for the reasons you state. By calling it a debate it did give some gravitas to the belief in creation and in that way Nye was used as a marketing tool. And of course no one going in to the debate was likely to have been influenced by Nye even if he would have done a great job. Ken Ham was asked what it would take to change his mind and he admitted that as a Christian nothing could do that. That statement said everything.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 18 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-18-14 05:36:56 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Can you elaborate on any of them?

Sure, we're really not that technical, we simple process it in a couple different ways

HTS is basically used in all new MRI machines, it's also being used in Wind Turbines. And the same company that was working on those projects was exploring it's use as transmissions lines in skyscrapers and also some crazy military shit.
Banana Hammock
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 19 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-18-14 07:29:31 PM)

That's pretty cool. Do you know which superconductor it uses?
-ice
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 20 of 26 (Originally posted on: 02-19-14 06:13:59 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
That's pretty cool. Do you know which superconductor it uses?

I do not, but the customer in question was American Superconductor. Other then that a lot of what we do is for laps and supercolliders and ITER
Banana Hammock
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 21 of 26 (Originally posted on: 03-17-14 12:19:56 PM)

Here's some cool new science:
Quoted from http://bicepkeck.org/b2_respap_arxiv_v1.pdf :
The observed B-mode power spectrum is well-fit by a lensed-ΛCDM+tensor theoretical model with tensor/scalar ratio r=0.20+0.07-0.05 with r=0 disfavored at 7.0σ.

This reply was last edited on 03-17-14 09:39:41 PM by emtilt.
D
Administrator

Reply 22 of 26 (Originally posted on: 03-17-14 12:28:48 PM)

Fascinating.
balls
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 23 of 26 (Originally posted on: 03-17-14 05:00:33 PM)

Not sure if that's sarcasm, but it is one of the biggest astrophysical results in decades (probably since the discovery of the acceleration of the expansion of the universe). This is direct observational evidence of inflation theory, and it also sets the energy scale for inflation, via the observation of B-mode polarization of the CMB due to primordial gravitational waves. Detection of such polarization has been one of the major goals of astronomy for a long time, and it is an incredibly difficult feat to accomplish from both instrumental and data analysis perspectives.

In retrospect, I should have explained that in the original post, but I sometimes forget that not everyone does cosmology. Here is the webpage that links to public press releases and has a FAQ page: http://bicepkeck.org/
This reply was last edited on 03-17-14 05:16:07 PM by emtilt.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 24 of 26 (Originally posted on: 03-17-14 05:46:29 PM)

Yeah it's pretty exciting, says the other guy here who cares about astrophysics.

Kind of invigorating after the "confirms everything we thought but suggests nothing new" Higgs discovery.
-ice
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1191 | Total Posts: 26 ]