Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > SimCity 2000 and 3000 > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1752 | Total Posts: 36 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-09-14 02:07:26 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Lately I've been playing some SimCity 2000 and 3000. 2000 at my friend's house that she bought on GOG and 3000 that I torrented last week. They are essentially two versions of the same game, released five years apart.

In terms of gameplay they are very similar. 3000 obviously looks a bit better (it was published five years later, in 1999), and I find it gives the player a little bit more control over how they want to manage their city. In 2000 it seems like the only way to progress is to build build build, while in 3000 I can manage my city at a constant size. All the neighbor deals in 3000 make it easier to get out of the red; 2000 it was definitely harder to get a self-sufficient city and when things went off balance, your whole city went to shit a lot faster.

Both have a lot of humour, and in 3000 the game is just jam packed with it. 2000 though, despite its limitations compared to 3000, is a complete game. There are a lot of flaws with the newer features in 3000, even in the re-released Unlimited edition: you are rewarded with unskippable parades that make the game unplayable for about five minutes, when your city gets big enough you get constant contradictory advisories about traffic and other issues (the issues aren't the problem, the contradiction is), but I think the biggest flaw is the neighbor deal.

Your neighboring cities can buy or sell water, power, and waste disposal. When you have a deal with them, they request more water or power as the cities grow. However, the quantities are always chosen to immediately overload your infrastructure, such that the "reward" for agreeing to a bigger deal is that you are immediately punished for breach of contract. This aspect could have used more playtesting. In SimCity 2000 there was a problem that like 20% of your map had to be devoted to water pumps; they have fixed this in 3000 but the waste disposal system they've added is similarly underpowered.

Anyway, that's my little writeup on the SimCity I've been playing lately. I never really got into SimCity 4. It's not really fair to compare them directly because 3000 is basically the same game with five years of added technology.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 1 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-09-14 04:29:14 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I played Simcity 2000 at a friends house and had to immediately convinced my parents we needed a computer. I loved these city building games, the ones set in ancient times as well (Caesar, Zeus, Pharoah, etc.). I was eagerly anticipating Sim City 5 but from what I read it sounds like they botched it pretty thoroughly.

There is a game Banished which goes on sale next week. Its a city building game set in the past and it looks really good.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-10-14 09:11:54 PM)

I played the original sim city for hours and hours and hours. Anyway I just found this have fun: http://play-dune.com/
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 3 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-11-14 12:22:36 AM)

Neighbor deals? Those were smalls beans compared to getting "Astronomical" value, high density commercial buildings.

I never played 2000 but I did play 3000 off and on for a few years from 2001 to 2003. Game play was very repetitive, but it was interesting to make difficult environments like mountains or atolls and attempt to make a profitable city on them. One thing that really bothered me was how absurd it was that a city could boot-strap itself into existence without even the slightest interaction outside of its cell.

Its surprising that you don't mention Sim City 4. The mechanics of SC4 were much more refined, but it lacked a lot of the simplicity and, interestingly enough, difficulty that SC3 had. Balancing a budget and earning a surplus was a generally difficult thing to do in SC3 and often led to heavy leverage. In SC4, not only was the player credited monthly, but the game would literally throw money at him for winning random driving courses.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
This reply was last edited on 02-11-14 12:30:19 AM by atlas sighed (at me).
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-11-14 05:53:07 PM)

Quoted from Motherfuckin SPACE BEAR:
I played the original sim city for hours and hours and hours. Anyway I just found this have fun: http://play-dune.com/

I thought this was Dune 1
*sad face*
Banana Hammock
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 5 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-11-14 06:19:59 PM)

I never really got into SC4. The one time I had it, my computer couldn't run it that well so I didn't spend too much time on it.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-11-14 09:32:20 PM)

I can't remember if I played 2000 or 3000, but I loved it. I've been wanting to buy whatever new one comes out ever since and always refrain based on how bad they sound.
balls
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 7 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-12-14 04:33:23 PM)

I played 3000 quite a bit back in the day, and I discovered the whole city building genre by playing 2000 at a friend's place one night and instantly fell in love with the idea, but I think I played Caesar more than Sim City. Haven't really played anything after 3000.

A friend of mine was involved in the localization of the latest SimCity and she said it was a disaster, so I lost interest even before the internet started talking about how shitty it was going to be.

So I just play Tropico 4 instead.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 8 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-12-14 06:08:26 PM)

Dune 1 wasn't very good. Dune 2 single-handedly kicked off the entire rts genre.
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 9 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-24-14 05:31:38 PM)

I felt like I played a lot of SimCity 3000 in 2010 but I don't think I was ever very good. Most of my towns would flounder with too fast of growth, I think. I played Caesar III and liked it much better. I played a fair amount of in 2007-08 after buying it for five dollars or so at a Target. A really good purchase, I think. Busting either out in a few weeks over spring break seems as though it would be a grand idea.

Quoted from Shady:
I played Simcity 2000 at a friends house and had to immediately convinced my parents we needed a computer. I loved these city building games, the ones set in ancient times as well (Caesar, Zeus, Pharoah, etc.). I was eagerly anticipating Sim City 5 but from what I read it sounds like they botched it pretty thoroughly.

There is a game Banished which goes on sale next week. Its a city building game set in the past and it looks really good.

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

This game does look good from the sparse information provided and the video. It sounds like it has more sound ecological mechanics than most games I've seen. I wonder if things like wild pig populations and rats can be introduced to cause further heartache/discord amongst the banished population. Are you planning on purchasing it, you should let me know how it goes. I can't remember the last time I bought a video game but this seems to be a pretty solid one to purchase.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 10 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-24-14 07:32:57 PM)

Plenty of people I know seem to be all over Banished. I'm seriously considering buying it myself.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 11 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-24-14 10:10:26 PM)

I'm very eager to play Banished, but I'm sure it'll appear in a cheap bundle eventually so I'm being patient.
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 36 (Originally posted on: 02-24-14 10:29:18 PM)

Yeah that game looks sweet, but I'm going to wait for a nice sale to buy it. I'm in no hurry so I'll be fine waiting until the steam summer sale even.
balls
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 13 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-04-14 08:46:19 PM)

SimCity 3000 was the best SimCity. 2000 feels like a cheap flash game and 4 was a giant fucking buggy mess that was way too goddamn complicated.

EA's most recent addition, SimCity: Internet Cloud Edition, is beneath my attention.
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 14 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-09-14 12:29:02 AM)

I wanted to buy the new Simcity but the always-on bullshit DRM ruined it for me. I heard they issued a patch that fixed that though. I just go back Simcity 4/Societies when I feel like being a megalomaniac control freak.
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-09-14 09:59:39 AM)

I've been watching a playthrough video for Banished and it looks awesome. I think I'm gonna buy it whenever I have time to play it.
balls
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 16 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-26-14 06:46:15 AM)

This is old news by now but the expansion pack to Age of Empires II seems pretty wicked. Anyone try it yet? Or the steam version at all? The online play sounds really tempting. I've been grooving in on Caesar III for the past few weeks. It is still pretty entertaining. The various time delays and ways in which they can be managed are challenging and what I am drawn to most in it.
D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-26-14 09:56:54 AM)

I play AOEII with friends online somewhat often. Haven't tried the expansion, doesn't look that tempting to me.
balls
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 18 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-28-14 05:13:10 PM)

I played the steam version with some people. It's not as magic as it was when we were kids. I'm thinking about buying the new expansion, regardless.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

Reply 19 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-28-14 10:28:29 PM)

I like watching tournaments on youtube. I still can't play the game for shit. I last about 20 minutes and then my feudal age town gets absolutely ass-reamed flattened by a some post-imperial douchetwat with an endless stream of rams.
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 20 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-29-14 03:27:15 PM)

guess you should have been born in Korea. *smirk*
Simfish II

Ballkicks: (+7 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2007
Reply 21 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-13-15 08:19:18 PM)

Quoted from Tonto Goldstein:
I played the steam version with some people. It's not as magic as it was when we were kids. I'm thinking about buying the new expansion, regardless.

Yeah - agreed.

Is it hard to find people on multiplayer though? It seems that there are far more people on voobly than on Steam.

Meh, I've thought of uploading some of my super-old recorded games on YouTube and then watch as the views accrete.
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

Reply 22 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-16-15 09:51:06 PM)

Ya'll motherfuckers should look at http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/. It's everything that SimCity 5 should've been.

Also Maxis got shut down last week RIP
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 23 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-16-15 11:44:03 PM)

Yep, been obsessed about Cities: Skylines for some time now. Even posted about it in the video games thread weeks ago, but nobody paid it any attention!
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 24 of 36 (Originally posted on: 03-17-15 06:13:29 AM)

that's not true I clicked the link
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1752 | Total Posts: 36 ]