Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Planet around Alpha Centauri > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 729 | Total Posts: 10 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-16-12 07:42:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Alpha Centauri is the closest star system to the sun, and today it was announced that there is a planet orbiting it. This was discovered by noticing that one of the stars changes oscillates in velocity by 1 mile per hour every three days. This suggests a planet slightly larger than the Earth which is located much closer to the star than Mercury is to ours. Too hot to live, but still cool.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/10/16/alpha-centauri-has-a-planet/
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-17-12 08:22:28 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Itís pretty cool how we discovered it but is there any significance to the discovery? Don't we already know that there are planets orbiting other stars?
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 2 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-17-12 09:24:02 AM)

It's significant because of its size and distance. We haven't been able to detect Earth-sized planets until recently, so it's pretty neat, although nothing really ground-breaking, since they've been "confirming" it for 4 years now.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 3 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-17-12 10:18:07 AM)

Also because Alpha Centauri is the closest star to ours. So yeah recently we've been discovering exo-planets all over the place, now I guess we know there is one (relatively) close by. Not that we can go there, but I guess that makes it a little more interesting than learning that Genevive X-133x5 has a planet.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-17-12 04:31:34 PM)

This brings me one step closer to completing my Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri cosplay

or something...I don't know

SMAC is based on a planet in the alpha centauri start system, you each do what you have to make it seem funny
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
This reply was last edited on 10-17-12 04:38:17 PM by Muzta.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 5 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-17-12 05:46:40 PM)

Nick: It's the closest star, and it's as far as I know the closest to Earth's size.
-ice
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-17-12 11:28:44 PM)

Since we detected it by the wobble, am I right in assuming that we don't ever see when it occludes its star? So it would be a lot more difficult to figure out what it was made of, etc? It doesn't sound like a particularly interesting planet, which is a shame I guess
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 7 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-18-12 07:49:16 AM)

I'm not sure if it transits or not. They'd probably use a different telescope to figure that out. What's cool with transiting is that they can actually make very low quality maps of the surface (at least, of the temperature). There one [here](http://arxiv.org/pdf/0705.0993.pdf) but I think they can do better.
-ice
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 8 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-18-12 09:22:21 AM)

This ain't reddit homie
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 9 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-19-12 08:52:01 AM)

How embarrassing.
-ice
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 10 of 10 (Originally posted on: 10-20-12 01:46:16 PM)

oh I was wondering where the pedo-trolls were
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 729 | Total Posts: 10 ]