Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What are you reading? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 20 21 ] [ Thread Views: 36928 | Total Posts: 504 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 07-20-12 09:03:55 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So i'd never been much of a book reader, but in the past year or so i've gone balls to the walls, so let's talk about it.

Currently reading: The Road, Cormac McCarthy. Holy shit this book is good. Post apocalyptic story about a guy and his little boy wandering down the highways of the American South, hiding from the few other desperate people that are left alive, doing their best to scavenge the already pillaged wasteland and remain positive. There are no chapters, so it's almost impossible to put down.

Just finished: Fahrenheit 451. Actually not, but the book I did just finished is a nonfiction inquiry into the 1912-13 balkan wars and I don't think anyone is interested in reading it, so we'll talk about Fahrenheit 451. I read this because it's by Ray Bradbury, author of one of my favorite books, The Martian Chronicles. Bradbury died the day before I started reading this. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS Felt kinda sad that I didn't get to it sooner. Anyway, it was a great book. Not as good as Martian Chronicles, but it definitely had his same flavor of ugly/beautiful humanity.

Next up: I think "Tinkers," by Paul Harding. I'd heard good things, but not too many. I don't like to know too much about a book before I read it. Anyway, I read the first few pages in the book store and liked the writing style and bought it, so it's next up. Also calling my name from my bookshelf of the unread books is "Claudius, The God," sequel to "I, Claudius" which is one of my favorite books. I'm not really in the mood for Romans right now so i'll probably go Tinkers.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-20-12 10:06:41 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

The Road is a great book. I'm reading Stephen King Dark Tower trash right now. Aparently he hasn't written enough words on the subject so he recently released The Wind through the Key Hole.

It's actually a pretty good book. I mean, not in the same way The Road is, but it's pretty entertaining.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 2 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-20-12 09:26:02 PM)

Re-reading Hitchhikers Guide at the pace of my little brother, so not progressing much. On/off with Space Chronicles, mostly reading it between classes when I have no homework/studying to worry about. And whatever I'm required for class, which is minimal since it's mostly math and bullshit this month.
Too lazy to reply properly.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 3 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-20-12 11:14:50 PM)

Just finished Notes From The Underground. I had already read Crime & Punishment, and it obviously retreads a fair amount of the same ideas as Notes did, but in more depth. The tone of Notes is far more amusing and affecting, though.

Now I'm reading Eragon, because my girlfriend happened to be reading it and it was there. It's extremely light reading, and heavily derivative of Star Wars and LOTR. It's surprisingly entertaining, though.
this is where i write about alcohol these are restaurants i like
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 4 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-22-12 01:12:45 AM)

I just finished reading Gomorrah, and it was fucking great. It's a book about the organized crime system in Naples and the role it plays in the international economy.

Before that I read IQ84, the new Murakami book, and I gotta say that was excellent too. Super weird and good.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 5 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-22-12 04:27:43 PM)

I'm currently reading The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by TE Lawrence, which is what the movie Lawrence of Arabia is based on. It's about a British agent who was helping spur an Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire to wear them down further in World War 1. It's a good combination of action, history, and philosophy. Also, it's surprisingly similar to Dune.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 6 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-22-12 05:25:56 PM)

Tinkers was terrible. Don't waste your time.

Just finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home and The World Without You, now reading Gold and waiting until August to start The Sisters Brothers and Where'd You Go, Bernadette.
Nickolati: i would have gone to the doctor, because I am pussy trapped in a lumberjack's body
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 7 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-24-12 02:36:00 AM)

I'm currently reading a Spanish translation of the Nibelungenlied (although I was delighted to find out it included 5 cantos in the original Middle High German). The constant references to how courteous and knightly everyone is get a bit tiresome, but I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 8 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-25-12 11:19:24 PM)

Just finished 'The Maltese Falcon' by Dashiell Hammett. Before that, I read Atlas Shrugged, and before that I read the Brothers Karamazov.

Emtilt: if you were to choose another Dostoevsky book, I would recommend The Brothers Karamazov or The Demons/The Possessed. Both have that sort of dark tone to them.

Currently trying to read a copy of Wuthering Heights I picked up from my new roommates bookshelf, it's annotated (which is actually kinda fun) and I'm finding it really depressing already. Not sure if I want to finish.
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 08:14:55 AM)

I finished the road. Amazing and depressing. I moved onto "Claudius the God" over Tinkers because I needed a lighter subject after The Road.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 10 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 08:49:06 AM)

Haven't read anything but school books for a little while, but the last reading I did for fun was
Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Palahniuk
Survivor by Palahniuk
Fight Club by Palahniuk
Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegutt

I know I'm reading like a hipster college sophomore, but I legitimately like the Palahniuk books, and while that's the only Vonnegutt book I've had an interest in reading, I thought it was worth it by the time I was done.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 11 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 03:37:59 PM)

I'm not reading anything at the moment but I'm waiting for the passage sequel to come out.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 12 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 03:38:00 PM)

I'm not reading anything at the moment but I'm waiting for the passage sequel to come out.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 13 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 03:43:16 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
Emtilt: if you were to choose another Dostoevsky book, I would recommend The Brothers Karamazov or The Demons/The Possessed. Both have that sort of dark tone to them.

Already read them. Notes from Underground was the last Dostoevsky I hadn't read!
this is where i write about alcohol these are restaurants i like
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 14 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 04:25:31 PM)

Building Scalable Web Sites by Cal Henderson.

Woooohooo.

Boring as fuck.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 15 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 08:37:43 PM)

I've just finished The Hunger Games (so I'll read the other two in the series whenever I can get around to borrowing them from my friends or the library - easy and fun read, even if it's not the most well-written book) and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, which I enjoyed very much.

I'm currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami and I think it's good so far.

The Road was recommended to me a few months ago. I'll have to check it out.
how is this for a quote
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 16 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 08:56:24 PM)

Quoted from Tonto Goldstein:
Haven't read anything but school books for a little while, but the last reading I did for fun was
Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Palahniuk
Survivor by Palahniuk
Fight Club by Palahniuk
Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegutt

I know I'm reading like a hipster college sophomore, but I legitimately like the Palahniuk books, and while that's the only Vonnegutt book I've had an interest in reading, I thought it was worth it by the time I was done.

Read what you like. Someone out there is reading trashier shit. There's one book I keep finding myself reading time and again and it's kind of in the same vein, The Contortionists' Handbook by Craig Clevenger. Every time I lend it out I never get it back, so I'm on around the fourth copy now, which I lent to my American Lit instructor, who is a strange cat. Dermaphoria was not that great, however, but still worth a read.
Too lazy to reply properly.
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 17 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-26-12 09:11:15 PM)

Quote:
Already read them. Notes from Underground was the last Dostoevsky I hadn't read!

Wow dude, you have me beat. I am also attempting to read all his books.. I am at 70% completion of this. I just need to find all the obscure ones, which are hard to come by.
Vissario
jerks off to
Can't tell if reincarnated Red Chimp or just Troll

Ballkicks: (+3 / -487612)
Reg. Date: Jun 2012
Reply 18 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-27-12 08:23:08 PM)

Security Analysis, Graham & Dodd, Unabridged 1934 Edition.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Reply 19 of 504 (Originally posted on: 07-29-12 12:14:34 AM)

All right. I finished The Hunger Games trilogy. It's three in the morning, and the ending has exhausted me into staying up late. It's not terribly well written, as I mentioned, but it's a good story with a solid ending. I feel kind of hollow right now. It's good to get a visceral reaction out of a book.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 504 (Originally posted on: 09-12-12 09:44:06 PM)

Quoted from amphy:
Tinkers was terrible. Don't waste your time.

I just finished. Boy were you right.

I think i'm going to star Don Quixote tomorrow.
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 21 of 504 (Originally posted on: 09-12-12 11:19:29 PM)

Currently trying to read the Iliad, I've been starting and stopping for almost 6 years... the version I have is the Robert Fitzgerald translation from 1974. It's kind of confusing because all the names are transliterated different, like Akhilleus, Akhaians, etc. Not to mention all the accent marks and shit, it's a struggle.

Before that I read two short stories, 'Kleine Herr Friedemann' by Thomas Mann and The Captain's Doll by D.H. Lawrence.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 22 of 504 (Originally posted on: 09-13-12 08:35:01 AM)

My reading has been slow as of late.
I finished The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (I'd never read the series when I was a kid. Not sure if I'll finish it now. If I was a kid reading it, I'd probably be fine, but there's a bunch of stuff I'm not comfortable with now, such as  the kids become kings and queens and systematically murder anyone who speaks against them, and they do so in the name of Aslan - that's the happy ending! ).

However, I am about halfway through Slaughterhouse Five now, and I'm really enjoying it. A lot. So it goes.
how is this for a quote
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 23 of 504 (Originally posted on: 09-13-12 10:44:24 AM)

That's a good one Shady. I haven't been able to get into any other Vonnegut unfortunately.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 24 of 504 (Originally posted on: 09-13-12 02:46:59 PM)

Quoted from dimmler:

I think i'm going to star Don Quixote tomorrow.

That's my favorite book ever. Did you start it? Which translation? (The Edith Grossman one reads best, but I can't really vouch for accuracy since my knowledge of 17th century Spanish is nil.)

(Aside: I was thinking last night about the successes of Don Quixote and Doctor Who. I believe they succeed in enduring for similar reasons. The episodic natures lend themselves to an adaptable exuberance applicable to a variety of times and populations. I wonder if anyone has explored this.)

Also, I'm reading Bogost's Unit Operations: An Approach to Videogame Criticism simultaneously with Eldest (sequel to Eragon) by Paolini. Boy, Paolini is such an immature writer. I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like though, because I'm busy trying to finish a paper on virial, single-epoch UV mass estimators for super massive black holes in AGN.
This reply was last edited on 07-01-13 10:49:11 PM by emtilt.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19 20 21 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 36928 | Total Posts: 504 ]