Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What have you been up to? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 15 ] [ Thread Views: 20931 | Total Posts: 357 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 07-07-12 08:05:26 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I thought it might be a good idea to touch base, see what you all are up to nowadays. Got a good job? Still in school? Getting married? Having children? Moving? Want to rant about something that sucks right now... or tell us some fantastic news?

I'll start it off by saying I'm finishing up graduate school finally. I've got a good job with the University, which involves pushing paper but that's alright with me for now. This city seems like the place to be in Canada. I was planning to move out to Ottawa, and had everything nearly ready for the move when I found out that my prospects fell through due to civil service cuts... but that just means I'll be looking elsewhere, which is OK, and it gives me a chance to travel and visit some friends that I have wanted to visit for a while. I'm "single" though seeing someone regularly; no prospects of marriage or children anytime soon (though I do want to have children eventually). Still staying fit and regularly going to the gym and hot yoga. All in all, despite daily stresses, my life seems to be going well.

How about yours?
This reply was last edited on 07-10-13 08:04:41 AM by Sunn O))).
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 1 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-07-12 10:00:09 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Started work toward my PhD in Mathematics last Fall at Dartmouth. Not much happened for about a year, during which I was basically just taking courses in preparation for my first of three qualifying exams. I took and passed it two weeks ago. I'm now beginning to study the material for my second and third exams.

On the relationship front, I just had my "official" six-month anniversary with my girlfriend, although we've been "seeing" each other for about four years now. Unfortunately, she lives back in Indiana currently, which is rough, but manageable. Fortunately, my fellowship/stipend is fairly generous, so I'm able to travel back home on breaks between quarters, and am able to help her afford to travel out here. Her and I just got back from a six-day trip to Isle Royale in Lake Superior. And in two weeks, she'll be visiting, so we're going to spend some time hiking the Adirondacks, hiking the White Mountains, and spending some time at Acadia National Park, hiking and sight-seeing.

So far I'm absolutely loving it out here in New Hampshire. The winter was fortunately mild compared to what I was expecting, so I haven't quite experienced it in full force, but so far spring and summer have been heaven compared to the absurd humidity I've grown accustomed to in Indiana. Also, mountains and trees are so much prettier than soybean fields and corn.

All in all, can't complain. Life is good.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 2 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-07-12 10:44:25 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Started work toward my PhD in Mathematics last Fall at Dartmouth. Not much happened for about a year, during which I was basically just taking courses in preparation for my first of three qualifying exams. I took and passed it two weeks ago. I'm now beginning to study the material for my second and third exams.

Do grad students do Liqu-or-Treating on Halloween? I went my senior year, that was pretty awesome. Dartmouth definitely follows through of the revelry front.

P.S. Sunny show us your Facebook profile do ittttttttt
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 3 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-07-12 11:25:10 PM)

No college for me, yet. I have no idea what I want to do and don't want to accrue a bunch of student loan debt for a degree I may or may not use or want.

I'm currently working at a server at a fantastic restaurant and making lots of money. I've been spending my free time drinking, carousing, throwing beach bonfires, hiking, mountain biking, and other fun activities.

That's about the size of it.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 4 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 09:39:09 AM)

Wrapping up community college this month, heading to the university this fall for mechanical engineering, though that major might change. The VA is footing the bill under Voc Rehab, and if the bachelors' goes smoothly I may be able to extract a masters' from the VAs' pocketbook. I'm actually rather enjoying school, considering how much I despised the idea prior.

Wife and I are getting along fine, no kids, but we've had our house a year now. She's still a high school teacher. I'm working the bar kitchens while in school, two days a week at two bars now, one corporate, the other a hole in the wall. My tolerance for 80s music cover bands has plummeted. I have a small garden that gets a shitty amount of direct sunlight. My back is thoroughly trashed again, surgery is becoming more imminent.

I'm pretty much stuck in Memphis for at least the next decade. Not sure what to think about that.
Too lazy to reply properly.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 5 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 11:07:46 AM)

It's ok. Still in school, doing a PhD, in Montreal. No significant others.

Sandy three qualifying exams sounds horrible. I just had to do one, which I wrote in May (and passed).
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 04:18:43 PM)

Finishing up my master's now (Mechanical engineering), hopefully my thesis will be done by the end of the summer and I can try to publish a paper or perhaps two. The next planned step is a PhD but I don't have an actual plan yet, just a list of people my advisers know well and would take me if they have positions. My advisers seem very confident in me so that's really encouraging for me because at the moment the future is very undefined and it would be very easy to panic.

I'm currently dating the girl I dated throughout college. We broke up for about a year and then started dating again eventually and have been for years now. We're still not really "official" but for all intents and purposes we are. There's no marriage or babies on the radar at all.

Beyond that, i'm still the kind of person who picks up a new hobby every month or two. I play soccer in a men's league every week which is a lot of fun. I've been reading a lot for the past year or so after a lifetime never really doing so. Most recently I've become really interested in wild birds. I've got a feeder in my window which has been getting some action and I can't go outside without listening to see if I can't figure out what kinds of birds are chirping about.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 7 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 06:04:34 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
It's ok. Still in school, doing a MLIS, in Columbia. No significant others.

& still curling.
Nickolati: i would have gone to the doctor, because I am pussy trapped in a lumberjack's body
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 8 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 06:31:01 PM)

Oh yeah I play a lot of ultimate frisbee.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Vissario
jerks off to
Can't tell if reincarnated Red Chimp or just Troll

Ballkicks: (+3 / -487612)
Reg. Date: Jun 2012
Reply 9 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 06:43:18 PM)

Quote:
Wrapping up community college this month, heading to the university this fall for mechanical engineering, though that major might change. The VA is footing the bill under Voc Rehab, and if the bachelors' goes smoothly I may be able to extract a masters' from the VAs' pocketbook. I'm actually rather enjoying school, considering how much I despised the idea prior.

Extract, Extract, Extract!

I'm convinced that pretty much everyone who gets out of the military before 20 years is secretly hell-bent on taking the government for as big a ride as they possibly can since they won't get the pension. That said, I'll probably get a bachelor's in electrical engineering when I am out and try to get in with the legions of contractors and engineers who work on the navy's missile and weapons systems! Mors Ab Alto!
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Reply 10 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 08:53:35 PM)

If you're not taking advantage of VA benefits as a vet, you're doing something wrong. That said, I'm finally getting the ball rolling on my disability appeal. My back has only gotten worse with time and is the reason I'm receiving voc rehab. But the VA, she is a tricky beast.

Besides, who in their right mind is going to pay for college when the government is going to give you 36-48+ months of free education. Especially when you've already put your time in. Fucking glad I found out about voc rehab, or I'd only be at the 50% rate, as the army paid back the student loans from my trade school days before I joined.

I don't give a shit if you get disability for hearing loss or stubbing your toe. If you're getting out honorably and have had problems, see the VFW rep on the way out and request a VA disability claim physical instead of your ETS physical. Even having as little as 10% opens a lot of doors. And there is a difference between "service connected disability" and "VA disability", service connected being the better of the two. Just fucking do it, hit up the VA physical on the way out. Just be ready for the prostate exam.
D
Administrator

Reply 11 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-08-12 09:33:43 PM)

Quote:
Just be ready for the prostate exam.

R.I.P. Dio
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 12 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 02:32:34 AM)

I'm kind of establishing myself as a professional translator. I don't make enough money or have enough clients to maintain myself yet (not enough to pay rent or anything), but I like to think I'm slowly getting there. It seems like I might end up specializing in videogame localization, which is 90% of what I'm doing right now, and I like it a lot. Oddly enough, most of what I'm doing is German to Spanish translation - I never thought my German was good enough to actually use it professionally.

Things are a lot bleaker on the social side of things because I'm still struggling with anxiety, but I've made some good progress recently, I think.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 13 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 07:08:14 AM)

Let's see, wrapping up Bachelor's degree soon, I now have two children in the house, one is a week and a half old.

Applying for Supply Chain and Project Analyst jobs here and there, but no bites yet, so I'll probably be heading to Alabama this winter for 8 weeks for OCS. Still working full time for the gubmint right now, which requires military membership.

Thinking about what I want to do for Master's Program. Kicking around the idea of taking the LSAT just to see what happens, although I'll probably study a little bit.

And after a week and a half on paternity leave, I've found that the hair on my cheeks is rather patchy and I just probably just stick to a goatee or nothing.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
D
Administrator

Reply 14 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 08:39:53 AM)

Wouldn't it be neat if we could zap this thread back in time to INTL's early days?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 15 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 10:52:17 AM)

Got two kids who are pretty cool still madly in love with my wife which is good. Losing weight but not fast enough. Kind of sick of my job but I'm pretty good at it and it pays well so whatever.

Basically I'm a lazy middle class fuck.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 16 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 12:48:24 PM)

Quoted from It Wasn't Me:
Wouldn't it be neat if we could zap this thread back in time to INTL's early days?

I wish I could zap a "go to fucking class" back in time, so I could be working on a PhD in a field I cared about.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Reply 17 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 01:03:27 PM)

Had I seen where I am now 8-10 years ago, I probably would've done everything differently, and probably not in a positive way.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 18 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 01:25:53 PM)

Uh, I work full-time in an independent record store and live on my own with friends. I don't really care for politics or anything like that anymore. For hobbies I'm teaching myself a 2nd language, taking singing lessons, taking boxing classes, teaching myself to be a DJ (i have over 600 records), playing guitar (for 10 years now) and very rarely playing video games. I might go to community college to be an accountant next year. I also currently run a little business; I inherited a collection about 2000 records which I'm trying to slowly sell over the Internet. Mostly classic rock and blues.

Looking back, 10 years ago I wish my parents had taught me better to save money... oh well.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 19 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 03:58:18 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
And in two weeks, she'll be visiting, so we're going to spend some time hiking the Adirondacks, hiking the White Mountains, and spending some time at Acadia National Park, hiking and sight-seeing.

Awesome, Acadia is very nice. I worked there for three summers

As for my life, I'm going to start looking for work soon, I've had this job about 2.5 years now. I've managed to stay married for a year and I'm going to buy a motorcycle in the next week or so. Everything is going pretty well
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 20 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 07:30:50 PM)

Still doing PhD in astrophysics. Honestly not thrilled about it, since the odds are so terrible for ever getting a permanent position in academia in the field.
This reply was last edited on 06-27-13 12:21:33 AM by emtilt.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Reply 21 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-09-12 08:30:12 PM)

Finishing up my master's now (Mechanical engineering), hopefully my thesis will be done by the end of the summer and I can try to publish a paper or perhaps two. The next planned step is a PhD but I don't have an actual plan yet, just a list of people my advisers know well and would take me if they have positions. My advisers seem very confident in me so that's really encouraging for me because at the moment the future is very undefined and it would be very easy to panic.

Man, I meant to reply to you earlier about this. I'm going down the mechanical path this fall. I looked at switching over to civil (geotechnical or earthquake) but the job market seems much worse off there than in mechanical. Any advice you could share about the undergrad side, besides burning math into my skull?
D
Administrator

Reply 22 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-10-12 06:53:06 AM)

As someone who did it all wrong, I can give you plenty of advice.

First and most important: find others to study with. Don't try to do this shit on your own. No one else will be doing it on their own, the teachers don't expect that you're doing it on your own (even if they say so), and you will drown. I did it on my own and I thought I was just dumb for a long time, until I found out everyone else had study groups. It makes all the difference in the world. I didn't grow stronger to a significant degree for it, either, because the biggest problem is working alone is that you'll get stuck on something very small and in the grand scheme of things, insignificant. You'll get stuck there for an hour maybe more, and it's something that you could potentially just ask your friend "hey do you know what this means?" and you'll be on your way in no time. An assignment that would take you 2 hours might take you 6 because you can get snagged on stupid things, and you won't have 4 hours to spare. So things will suffer, assignments will be skipped/half assed if you don't have someone there with you that can say "yeah we covered that last week really quick, it's in chapter 2.5 take a look."

The second most important advice i'd say is don't expect to learn/know/understand everything you're taught. Undergraduate engineering courses do a lot of hand waving to get from step to step in explanations. The reason for that might be because the math/theory that takes you from one step is really extensive and complex and may be very important to your understanding of the problem as well, but the teacher will skip it because learning that could take up weeks and he just wants you to see the end result so that you can use it in other problems. Basically there will be a lot of stuff that gets glossed over and skipped and the teacher might not really make that clear - so at the end of the day you may be able to ace your tests but you still won't have a good grasp of the subject you're learning. That's how the classes work though, and there's really no other way to do it. If when you're all done you want to learn more, you'll get the opportunity to do that, but until then be at peace with the fact that you don't really have all that much depth, because no one else in your class will either.

It's really easy for engineering students to get a feeling of "imposter syndrome," partly for the reason I mentioned above. You're talking about all these complex things and you don't feel like you understand it and you assume that everyone else does and you're just faking it. Also partly because shit's hard and sometimes you'll do bad. Just don't get discouraged. I really believe that anyone is capable of doing all the shit I've done so far, if they want to and if they believe they can. Many people don't want to, obviously, but a lot of other people do want to but get discouraged because they don't think they can. Which to me seems ridiculous - not because it's easy (it's not), but because it doesn't take super intelligence or anything like that. Sorry for the pep talk, you probably don't need it right now but most people do end up needing it at some point so just keep it in mind if that day ever comes. Best of luck with everything!
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 23 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-10-12 08:55:58 AM)

Well, I live with my folks, work part time at a job I love, I'm part of a couple community theatre groups, and when I'm not rehearsing, I get to do improv 3-4 times a week. I play soccer once a week with some professors and play board games with some friends usually once a week as well.

I'll be doing a bit of travelling around to do some professional performing and narration over the next two years (performances are few and far between, the next one being toward the end of September).

Ideally I'll be doing some more regular voice work in the future (audio books would be fun, but it would be great to get into voice over and recorded narration). The sooner, the better.

I considered doing some training for Montessori teaching, but I think I might just do some ECE courses online, and see if that doesn't get me some qualifications for some place or other. Kids are fun to work with, and I feel that I work pretty well with them.

Over the summer, I'll be teaching a bit at some arts camps and hopefully be getting a better position at work. All things considered, life is okay and better, but I'd like to be able to get an income at a level where I can live independently.

edit:
Also, my diabetes is being handled pretty well, but I'm still bizarrely skinny, so the needles are leaving bruises sometimes, which is a bummer.
how is this for a quote
This reply was last edited on 07-10-12 09:01:15 AM by Hasty Penguin.
Vissario
jerks off to
Can't tell if reincarnated Red Chimp or just Troll

Ballkicks: (+3 / -487612)
Reg. Date: Jun 2012
Reply 24 of 357 (Originally posted on: 07-10-12 11:00:12 AM)

Quote:
It's really easy for engineering students to get a feeling of "imposter syndrome," partly for the reason I mentioned above. You're talking about all these complex things and you don't feel like you understand it and you assume that everyone else does and you're just faking it

So, in your opinion, would you say you actually learned anything or did you just memorize key facts and equations for your finals? I've noticed that a lot of "professionals" who get commissions in the navy who graduated from schools with "rigorous" undergraduate degrees such as EE can't even tell me how to figure up something as simple as voltage from Ohm's law.
This reply was last edited on 07-10-12 11:05:46 AM by Vissario.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 15 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 20931 | Total Posts: 357 ]