Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Cool new music > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 959 | Total Posts: 26 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 05-17-12 07:44:47 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So I was talking to a foreign friend of mine and I told him that he should try to go to a concert because we've got a good live music scene over here. When he asked who should he see, I asked, "who do you like?" He told me that he literally doesn't know any music. So when I got home I put together a collection of random newer music that I had downloaded so he could check out some things.

It made me realize though that everything "new" I have is by now like 5 years old.

Anyway I like all kinds of music, but I found the "indie" wave to be pretty cool and am wondering if that has kept on going? I know of the Fleet Foxes who are pretty good, Arcade Fire still making things and a few other bands, but I remember back in the day it seemed like there was an endless supply of cool indie bands with an interesting sound. Is this a phenomenon that I imagined, and if not, is it still happening?

Oh and sorry for making another music thread, hope it doesn't overlap much with any of the others.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-17-12 09:52:08 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't know about new bands but some of the older indie bands are still releasing new records. Jack White just released a pretty good album (though it's wierd because, you know, Jack White). Here's a fun one from it:

&ob=av2e

and the Silversun Pickups are about to release a new one that I'm pretty excited about. Here's the single I heard from it (it's pretty much quentissential Silversun Pickups):

Otherwise, that Gotye guy I linked in the other thread is pretty big right now and so is a band called Fun that I'm really not that into. I'm sure you've heard that one. Sorry this isn't really focused on live music; I don't have a lot of time or money for that these days.
D
Administrator

Reply 2 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-17-12 02:22:54 PM)

I had no idea Jack White came out with a new album! I fucking love every band Jack White touches, so that's awesome news.

I'll check out those other bands too when I get home - thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know what I think.

edit: I bought the Jack White album and gave it 3 or 4 listens while working today. Good shit, as always!
This reply was last edited on 05-17-12 07:07:24 PM by D.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 3 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-17-12 08:29:39 PM)

D
Administrator

Reply 4 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-17-12 10:17:44 PM)

Downloaded the Gotye and Silversun Pickups and will check out Dr Dog too. I've only heard one of their songs before but liked it. It reminded me a lot of The Band, and this one does too kinda. I love the band, I think i'm gonna like these guys.

Will check out the rest soon. Thanks broskis.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 5 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-18-12 09:55:37 AM)

Quoted from It Wasn't Me:
The Band

MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 6 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-18-12 03:12:00 PM)

I like The Heavy, although they've been around awhile now
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 7 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-18-12 09:25:13 PM)

Gang Gang Dance: eccentric like Animal Collective but not as shitty and pretentious

You've probably already heard of Grimes but she's pretty good (and Canadian) most of the time:

Wild Nothing is pretty, crystalline, sounding jangle pop band I really like:

Temper Trap is pretty catchy indie pop group from Australia I think:

&ob=av2e

Alpines, my best kept secret. A 'night-pop' band from the UK:

These New Puritans: an indie-neoclassical-goth band?

Hope this is enough for you. Source: i work in a music store
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-18-12 09:41:46 PM)

Whoa cool beans, i'll look at all these guys when I get to them.

So far, for what i've listened to:

The Jack White album is awesome. No surprise there. I couldn't get into Silversun Pickups too much, I think the guy's voice reminds me too much of someone else that I don't like. Gotye is pretty awesome - and I still swear that one song sounds exactly like Guster. Fun was okay, but felt very pop-y. I dig the new Dr Dog. Doesn't really sound like The Band ( MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS ) anymore, but still good anyway.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-19-12 09:50:33 PM)

Overlapping with the rap thread, and pretty different from what's been posted so far, but whatever.

Streaming version of El-P's "Cancer for Cure" album

I've been playing a few songs off it pretty regularly for the past few days. It's like late 90s to mid 00s electronica caught up with rap, and it works pretty well (seriously, the opening track's beat could be pretty easily compared with The Prodigy's "Firestarter", and then followed by "The Full Retard" that sounds like a cross between The Prodigy during their "Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned" album and a Chemical Brothers b-side underneath it (especially if you listen to their track with Spank Rock, "Keep My Composure"). Of course it's packed full of other references (catch the "Road to the Riches" piano stabs on "Drones Over BKLYN") and originality, too, but that kind of sound draws me into it especially, along with the aggressive delivery and intensity of the album.
how is this for a quote
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 10 of 26 (Originally posted on: 05-21-12 10:50:23 PM)

bradism.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 11 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-03-12 07:32:35 AM)

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins make some nice music. Diamond Mine is a great album, and the EPs are just more of it, so it's all good.

how is this for a quote
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 12 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-03-12 10:21:47 AM)

I've been listening to Death Grips a lot lately.

Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 13 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-07-12 09:27:33 AM)

death grips is pretty good, though I was kinda disappointed with 'the money store' i really only like the first song and the rest is all kind of... meh.

Dimi!! what you think of my vids
D
Administrator

Reply 14 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-07-12 06:23:21 PM)

I haven't gotten there yet :\ I do still intend to though!

Actually that's not totally true, I did watch some of your videos. I've been trying to listen to the bands by their albums though and not judge on individual songs for the most part. But if you want comments beforehand,

I'd never heard of Grimes, but that song was super girly and I did download her album/listen to it a few times to kind of have as "stock girly music." Wasn't bad though, but I didn't listen enough to really comment.

The others: Temper Trap and Wild Nothing sounded cool and i'll probably download their albums to try them out a little more. I didn't really dig the New Puritans though. The others I haven't tried yet.

As for the other bands FA posted: I already mentioned that I really like Dr. Dog. I downloaded the lumineers and may have listened once but I don't remember, I feel like I didn't really dig it that much though. I haven't listened to more from the Alabama Shakes yet, but I really like the song that was posted. I definitely plan to check them out.

My music-listening-to has slowed down as I got caught up in a lot of podcasts again. I'll work harder to catch up with all of your wonderful suggestions though! Thanks again to everyone, I plan to listen to the songs you posted at the very least.
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-07-12 06:38:14 PM)

Re: Lumineers. I did download them and listen once, but I actually liked them a lot and somehow completely forgot about it. Woops!
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 16 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-15-12 07:26:12 PM)

&feature=branded
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 17 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-15-12 09:18:31 PM)

I had that one in my last thread too. It kicks ass.
D
Administrator

Reply 18 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-16-12 12:17:14 AM)

Rage Against the Machine: Vagina Edition

Not bad at all though.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 19 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-17-12 03:13:02 AM)

Pat the Bunny is a genius.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 20 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-18-12 03:19:54 PM)

Nice. Pat the Bunny is great. He and Michael Jordan Touchdown Pass (his brother's band) played a show at my best friend's house about three years ago. They brought a bunch of circus performers with them as well, so there was basically a circus sideshow going on in my friends backyard, firebreathers, tightrope walkers, trapeze acts, a juggling unicyclist, etc. It was pretty amazing. That basically went on until dusk, at which point the bands played.

His new band is on tour right now and will be passing through the VT/NH area in early July, so I might make the trip out to see them. We'll see.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 21 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-18-12 04:54:17 PM)

Okay I know this is too mainstream to have the hipster nerds share my love,

...but the black keys are the best music that has come out in the past 10 years. thats my statement.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 22 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-18-12 04:54:58 PM)

And the Blakroc album kicked motherfuckin ass and I cant wait till the sequel
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 23 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-18-12 05:46:29 PM)

I must be the only human ever who is sick of the Black Keys. I guess I'm just sick of the blues rock style in general and I feel it's just been done to death. The blakroc album was pretty good but too short. And I read somewhere that there are no plans for #2, it was just a fake rumour.

Do you like Los Campesinos, Dimi? Their new album 'hello sadness' is pretty good. It was emtilt who I heard about them from.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 24 of 26 (Originally posted on: 06-18-12 06:18:41 PM)

&feature=related
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 959 | Total Posts: 26 ]