Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Can I do it this time? Probably. Suck it, obesity. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16 ] [ Thread Views: 21299 | Total Posts: 375 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
(Originally posted on: 03-09-12 12:26:01 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Alright, so here I am again with a weight loss goal. I'm going for the same goal as the last time I made one of these threads: Ima lose 100 pounds in 1 year. Last effort got derailed by having another kid but I'm pretty psyched to be doing this again now. So here's the rundown:

The Good
I've already fucking started. FUCK YEAH. I joined Weight Watchers last Friday because I need more accountability than "Check your thread, asshole!" and it's got some really good eTools/mobile apps for calorie and activity tracking. Weight watchers uses a points system which takes the nutrition label of any food you eat and applies some sort of arcane formula to it to give a point value. I get 71 points a day plus 49 flexible extra points a week so if I go hambeast on a cake I can use those and not feel so bad about it. It's all designed to be flexible but still provide a colorie defecit. It also does some funky thing where it weighs protien and fiber less than fat and carbs so supposedly I will be eating more lean protien and less fucking bread all the time.

The bad
Having kids is tough. I'm tired all the time (which is terrible for weight loss) I have to carve out time to work out and I'm just not as energetic about shit as I used to be.

The Ugly
Since the last time I did one of these threads, I gained twenty fucking pounds. That makes me the biggest asshole.

Rundown

I will update this thread weekly on Fridays because that's the day I weigh in. I will also update with recipes and shit I try out and what I'm doing to be more active.

Starting Weight: 354.2 lbs
End Goal Weight: 254 lbs

1st Sub-goal: 336.2 lbs (5% Loss)
This reply was last edited on 08-10-12 12:52:28 PM by Trash Mod.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 1 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-09-12 12:36:51 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Week 1

Weigh in Weight: 352.6 lbs
Change: -1.6 lbs
Progress: 1.6 lbs

Have some fucking charts:

Weight

Points Used by Day

Thoughts
Okay so it's a slow start but that was kind of my point. I think last time I changed too much too soon and it didn't help my enthusiasm when it wasn't all giant losses all the time. I started regularly walking. Yes, it's not resistance training or anything but it's a start. I also had my daughter's birthday party on Sunday so that's what that big overage was. Thursday was a huge fuckup on my part. Luckily I was excercizing and got some extra points that way. Here's a sample pic of what I eat in a day so you can see some points values or whatever:

Anyway, hit me up with any questions or comments.
This reply was last edited on 03-09-12 12:50:12 PM by Trash Mod.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-10-12 03:59:52 AM)

Good luck nick
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 3 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-10-12 10:19:23 AM)

What are you doing for exercise?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 4 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-10-12 03:33:39 PM)

Weight Watchers works well for people who follow it. I know a few people in it right now. One pitches a bitch fit about never having enough points while sucking down large McDonalds sweet teas, and is the only one of the people I know not losing weight.

Most of those people do well with walking a few times around the block or hitting the treadmill a few hours. Don't expect massive loss in a short time, a hundred pounds in a year is a good target, but expect the plateaus when they come.
Too lazy to reply properly.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-10-12 04:44:19 PM)

I wish you the best Dr Nicko. I've seen how beautiful your children are, and I don't need to give you any additional motivation than that.

My only concern about mass-marketed weight loss plans is that each body type will gain and lose weight differently. What works for Jared and the Weightwatch people may not even be close to what works for you.

The only thing close to advice I can give is to focus more on the conversion of fat to muscle. You will feel better, and your body metabolism should start to deal with the extra fat. Talk to Ztolk...he's all about the quadriceps, but it's not very far fetched. Quads are one of the largest muscle groups of your body and is probably where you can see the biggest gains. The best part is that muscle gain is contagious. It will likely help your metabolism but more importantly it will help you motivate yourself to build other muscle groups.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 6 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-10-12 05:40:40 PM)

Fat doesn't convert to muscle.
-ice
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 7 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 09:12:35 AM)

I just lost 30 pounds. But since it was via internal organ failure, I wouldn't suggest it.

After I healed up, I gained 10 of it back, but did manage to hold off on the other 20 (if you couldn't do math).
BlessedSoul: honestly, sunny is mildly insane
CursedSoul: I didn't want to ask Sunny because she's been acting nuts lately.
BlackSoul: sunny is crazy...deal with it
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 8 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 10:02:15 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
What are you doing for exercise?

This week the goal is to do serious walking everyday and I've been successful so far. By serious walking I'm not taking a stroll. There's a stretch of road right outside my work that's really hilly and long. I've been doing that.

Next week I'm goin to add in pushups and some other resistance training in the morning but I'm still trying to ramp up gradually.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 9 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 10:04:42 AM)

Quoted from too busy bitchin':
My only concern about mass-marketed weight loss plans is that each body type will gain and lose weight differently. What works for Jared and the Weightwatch people may not even be close to what works for you.

The nice thing about weight watchers is that I can eat anything I want as long as I don't go over my points. It's basically glorified calorie counting. What I'm using it for is the weekly weigh in and the eTools more than any specific diet food.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 10 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 10:05:41 AM)

Also thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to do this this time.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 11 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 12:43:59 PM)

Every time I do speed in a club I don't get hungry for like 20 hours afterward. I dunno if this helps
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 12 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 02:02:26 PM)

Quoted from loudpack masterchef:
Every time I do speed in a club I don't get hungry for like 20 hours afterward. I dunno if this helps

Maybe if I didn't have kids... though my house could use a good scrubbing.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 13 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 04:25:06 PM)

My grandma lost 30 pounds in under a month on weight watchers, so that is a thing related to the topic of discussion here.

Having a group to be accountable to that isn't a bunch of people online is probably helpful, too. Good luck. Progress reports are feel good stories for the rest of us when you succeed, so be sure to post those.
how is this for a quote
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-11-12 08:55:39 PM)

I think the strength of WW is also its weakness. It's only based on caloric restriction, so the people doing don't learn anything about nutrition. When they reach their goal and inevitably stop tracking their points, they often balloon up again because they've gone from eating less crap to more crap instead of less not-crap to more not-crap.
-ice
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 15 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 05:38:30 AM)

30 pounds in under a month sounds dangerous...
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 16 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 08:27:28 AM)

Yeah. A pound a day is like what you lose if you fast but don't exercise.
-ice
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 17 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 01:55:29 PM)

That sounds like grandma! Except that I think she was cooking crazy amounts of vegetables. They aren't terribly unhealthy people, they just don't really exercise (for a variety of reasons, now).
how is this for a quote
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 18 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 04:12:02 PM)

Quoted from loudpack masterchef:
30 pounds in under a month sounds dangerous...

That's about 6 power-dumps
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 19 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 04:56:44 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
I think the strength of WW is also its weakness. It's only based on caloric restriction, so the people doing don't learn anything about nutrition. When they reach their goal and inevitably stop tracking their points, they often balloon up again because they've gone from eating less crap to more crap instead of less not-crap to more not-crap.

This could happen with any diet but it's also about making lifestyle changes. I'm a huge creature of habit so for me, just forcing myself to track what I eat is having an impact. I changed my standard (habitual) breakfast of bagels with cream cheese to cheerios with a bannana and an additional snack of greek yogurt at about 10 AM, for instance.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 20 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-12-12 05:48:03 PM)

I suggest targeting and removing specific things from your diet

like soda...fuck soda
(<----Still drinks soda)
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 21 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 09:26:36 AM)

I recommend just murdering someone skinny and eating their heart to gain their metabolism.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 22 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 12:16:50 PM)

All good options. Anyway, here's a recipe I tried this week:

Creamy Mushroom Chicken w/peas
(Serves 4)
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
1 1/2 cups of hot water
4 6oz boneless/skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion thinly sliced
6 oz chopped (fresh) porcini mushrooms
1 tablespoon of flour
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup fat free half and half
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon

1st put the dried mushrooms in the hot water for 20 minutes. While that's stewing get out a non stick frying pan, spray with nonstick spray and brown the chicken with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from the pan.

Strain and chop the dried mushrooms but retain the water. Put the olive oil in the pan and cook the onion, dried mushrooms and fresh mushrooms along with salt until they are soft. Add the flour and cook for about a minute stirring constantly. Add the water/broth stuff you reserved earlier and the wine and cook for another couple of minutes until it thickens. Add the chicken back in as well as the half and half, tarragon and peas. Heat it all the way through and you're set.

----------

Notes: This was decent though I would make a few changes. It needed a lot of salt once it was cooked. I will probably replace half the mushroom water with chicken broth to see how that goes. I might also take the half and half and peas out completely (or serve the peas on the side).

Unfortunately, dried mushrooms are expensive as fuck and I'm not sure how to replace them since the mushroom broth is sort of a key to the recipe.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 23 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 12:27:33 PM)

Another one from last night (this one's pretty easy):

Salmon with Grematola and asperagus
(Serves 4)
4 6 oz pieces of Salmon
Salt and pepper
a bushel (?) of asperagus (I didn't really measure)
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
2 tbspns flat leaf parsley (fresh)
2 tbspns orange zest
1 tbspn lemon zest
The rest of the lemon
1 tbspn tarragon

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and spray a high rimmed cookie sheet with non stick spray. Salt and pepper the salmon and place it on one end of the sheet. Mix the asperagus with the olive oil and some salt in a bowl and toss to coat. Put the asperagus on the other end of the cookie sheet in one layer. Cook for about twenty minutes.

While it's cooking, chop the garlic, parsley and tarragon. Mix it in a small bowl with the lemon and orange zest. Once the salmon is done cooking, squeeze the lemon over it and spread the mix evenly over the top of the salmon.

Notes: This was pretty good and super easy. It's a keeper.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 375 (Originally posted on: 03-14-12 01:57:40 PM)

Try going to a 99 ranch or some other asian market, the dried mushrooms there should be really cheap. So you're trying to make low calorie meals right?

try an indian dry curry, they're easy and really tasty and I think they can be low calorie too

something like this: dice up cauliflower (I think potatoes are tastier for this, but they probably have more calories?) and toss them in salt, ground fennel seed, chili powder, and maybe a little bit of cumin. Then grease a pan somehow and cook them covered, they should fry and steam a bit. that's really it. if you want you can add mustard seed too, that's really tasty. serve it with fish maybe and some kinda sauce maybe (raita is good for this: plain yogurt (nonfat?) + salt + chopped cilantro + chopped cucumber + lime juice)

are lentils lo cal? I have a bunch of low-fat indian meals that could work well. they're easy and delicious
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 21299 | Total Posts: 375 ]