Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Inquiry on Lance Armstrong Ends With No Charges > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 5162 | Total Posts: 95 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-03-12 04:30:42 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/sports/cycling/federal-prosecutors-drop-lance-armstrong-investigation.html

Not that I like Lance Armstrong or cycling....I just like to see french people unhappy
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 03:11:32 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Armstrong is evil and this is a disgrace. Oh well. Hopefully USADA will still get him. Easier to deal with sports infractions than with federal crime.

Make no mistake, the guy's guilty.

And this doesn't just piss off the French. It pisses off many Americans who actually know how cycling works (a significant number of whom were personally bullied by Armstrong himself).
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 2 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 06:34:16 AM)

I read an article once where they were complaining that Armstrong had cheated everyone who had bought a live strong bracelet and I thought "wow, that is retarded"
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 3 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 07:03:20 AM)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7539289/end-lance-armstrong-federal-investigation-raises-questions

Quote:
Sources, legal and otherwise, who were not directly connected to the investigation, said it was still actively producing new leads and they had expected indictments this spring. Several witnesses who testified before the federal grand jury in Los Angeles or spoke to investigators said they were stunned by the news. Other sources close to the case said investigators had described their evidence against Armstrong as being the strongest of any of the government's doping-related cases. And another person who has not testified, and who spoke only on the condition of anonymity, described having a meeting scheduled with lead investigator Jeff Novitzky next week.

However, as the U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, where the grand jury was empaneled, Birotte had the authority to close the investigation unilaterally, without asking the grand jury whether indictments were warranted, if he concluded that there was insufficient evidence that a federal crime had been committed in his jurisdiction.

Pfffffff.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 08:23:08 AM)

Isn't it the case that everyone in top level biking is doping, and Armstrong was still better than everyone else?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 08:38:59 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Isn't it the case that everyone in top level biking is doping, and Armstrong was still better than everyone else?

This is basically my understanding. Even the "average" competitors are doing all kinds of tricks to alter their energy levels and ability, drugs or no. That said, it doesn't make it anymore right to say "No, he was never doping."
how is this for a quote
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 6 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 09:14:58 AM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
Armstrong is evil and this is a disgrace. Oh well. Hopefully USADA will still get him. Easier to deal with sports infractions than with federal crime.

Make no mistake, the guy's guilty.

And this doesn't just piss off the French. It pisses off many Americans who actually know how cycling works (a significant number of whom were personally bullied by Armstrong himself).

Honestly, who cares? Of the million and one problems facing the western world, does this one really warrant much controversy?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 7 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 09:25:30 AM)

By that logic, let's never deal with anything until we eliminate world hunger. Yeah demagogy! The authorities charged with investigating Armstrong weren't in charge of fixing other problems of the Western world. It was about tax fraud and public health, and for the authorities that have to deal with tax fraud and public health I imagine there are few things more important than tax fraud and public health.
Quote:

It's not that simple. Widespread doping doesn't imply a level playing field at all. You have anything from the humble pro in a small team that buys his own EPO through the internet and does what his older colleagues recommend him to do, to the big World Tour teams with systemaic team-wide doping programs designed and monitored by the best doping doctors. Do you think in both cases doping will give you the same benefits?

Armstrong didn't just dope. He was the client of the very best doping doctor, Michele Ferrari, who only worked for Armstrong and his teammates. There was no level playing field.

Besides, Armstrong wasn't your regular athlete who just did what he had to do to compete. He bullied and abused others who were trying to clean up the sport. Look up Filippo Simeoni, Christophe Bassons or Betsy Andreu for a start.

And on top of that, the majority of Armstrong's direct rivals were caught and paid the price.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 8 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 11:04:40 AM)

Quote:
Besides, Armstrong wasn't your regular athlete who just did what he had to do to compete. He bullied and abused others who were trying to clean up the sport. Look up Filippo Simeoni, Christophe Bassons or Betsy Andreu for a start.

This names sound a little too French and Italian for me to feel bad a bout it.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 9 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 11:31:48 AM)

dude only has one nut. fyi
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 10 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 11:55:58 AM)

I feel like cycling is too fucked up to care about. Needs a reboot.

Also, why are we still hating French people? I find it embarrassing that it's still cool for Americans to arbitrarily hate France. I've made it a habit to always call people out on it and ask why they care, and i've yet to hear a good answer. It's usually "my friend went there and said they were all very rude."
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 11 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 12:51:22 PM)

That's a complicated question with multiple answers

Let's start at the beginning

I grew up surrounded by French-Canadians of the New Brunswick variety, and I think any one with experience can tell you that would naturally leave a person with a negative perspective on both the French and Canadians. They are aloof and dickish, and every weekend they would invade the local Wal-Mart. Furthermore there's a proud family tradition of hate, My Lutheran Great-Great Grandparents migrated from Denmark to New Brunswick around the turn of the century and we've been hating the surrounding French-Catholic for over 100 years. While I'm not religious by any means, I know enough of the Catholic church's checkered history to remain true to my Lutheran roots.

Finally, Europe has become very vogue in American counter-culture, and that just bugs the shit out of me
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 12 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 12:54:14 PM)

Cycling is too fucked up to care about? But Dimi, you like football.
Quoted from Muzta:
This names sound a little too French and Italian for me to feel bad a bout it.

Then look up Mike Anderson, Greg LeMond (he's American FYI), Frankie Andreu and I wish I could remmeber the name of this woman who was part of Armstrong's entourage for a while and who was also bullied. You'll probably stumble upon her if you read a bit about Armstrong's previous encounters with the law.
D
Administrator

Reply 13 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 01:31:11 PM)

Greece and Turkey have been pissing each other off for the last ten thousand years, but I don't groan every time someone mentions Turkey. People who do are part of the reason endless grudges never end.

The other part of your argument doesn't work for me either. I grew up surrounded by black people of the Philadelphian variety, and I can name things you see black people here doing that would be unanimously considered bad. I don't think that makes it cool for me to go around saying I hate black people.

And finally, your last point is pretty hilarious. Yes, that's annoying, but what has probably become even more prevalent is arbitrarily hating Europe as what you might call American counter-counter-culture. Now that really bugs the shit out of me. And really when it comes down to it i'd rather hang out with someone who loves things for no reason instead of someone who hates things for no reason.

Sukkit: I'm gonna back out of this one by admitting i'm outrageously ignorant to basically everything about cycling. Sorry to poop on something you enjoy.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 14 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 02:04:03 PM)

Quote:
The other part of your argument doesn't work for me either. I grew up surrounded by black people of the Philadelphian variety, and I can name things you see black people here doing that would be unanimously considered bad. I don't think that makes it cool for me to go around saying I hate black people.

Equating general distaste for a culture to outright racism seems like a reach
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 05:51:01 PM)

I disagree completely. What is racism anyway? It's become such a powerful word that people throw around everywhere as this vague but terrible thing.

Really the only real definition I can come up with is just distinguishing people of different races as inherently different. It doesn't necessarily imply anything about discrimination or even hatred really.

So I don't really see what the difference is between going "Ugh, I hate black people. And I see them everywhere, so I know what i'm talking about," and saying the same thing about French-Canadians. The former is more demonized because you can say "Well hey, that's racist!" and everyone knows racism is evil, ergo, it's an evil thing to say.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 16 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 06:07:14 PM)

Quoted from It Wasn't Me:
Sukkit: I'm gonna back out of this one by admitting i'm outrageously ignorant to basically everything about cycling. Sorry to poop on something you enjoy.

Oh, don't worry. I didn't react because you said cycling needed a reboot - I agree with you there. Cycling is rotten to the core, and the international federeation needs to go. In fact, had this investigation not been cancelled (for no good reason as far as I can tell), chances are the UCI (International Cycling Union) would have gone effectively destroyed, because they protected Armstrong and took bribes from him.

But most other sports are worse than cycling, I'd say. In terms of awareness and anti-doping measures, football is roughly where cycling was some 20 years ago.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 17 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 06:23:38 PM)

I disagree completely. What is racism anyway? It's become such a powerful word that people throw around everywhere as this vague but terrible thing.

Really the only real definition I can come up with is just distinguishing people of different races as inherently different. It doesn't necessarily imply anything about discrimination or even hatred really.

So I don't really see what the difference is between going "Ugh, I hate black people. And I see them everywhere, so I know what i'm talking about," and saying the same thing about French-Canadians. The former is more demonized because you can say "Well hey, that's racist!" and everyone knows racism is evil, ergo, it's an evil thing to say.

The difference is that in one case your judging some one solely on the basis of a genetic trait over which they have no control, in the other case I'm judging people on the choices that they make.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 18 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-04-12 07:41:33 PM)

Quoted from Muzta:

The difference is that in one case your judging some one solely on the basis of a genetic trait over which they have no control, in the other case I'm judging people on the choices that they make.

Is cultural affiliation a choice you make?
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 19 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-05-12 04:33:09 AM)

Yeah, it's the difference between being a "French Canadian" and being a "Canadian" with silent T's in your last name
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 20 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-05-12 06:30:14 AM)

Mutza are seriously trying to justify a blanket judgement of an entire population?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 21 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-05-12 06:36:10 AM)

also LOL @ getting mad about Canadians invading Walmart
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 22 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-05-12 06:40:10 AM)

Quoted from Muzta:
Yeah, it's the difference between being a "French Canadian" and being a "Canadian" with silent T's in your last name
"

On that line, would you object to people calling themselves "Pakistani Canadian" or any of the other hyphenated varieties?
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 23 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-05-12 06:42:45 AM)

Quoted from oirassiv:
Quoted from Muzta:
"

On that line, would you object to people calling themselves "Pakistani Canadian" or any of the other hyphenated varieties?

Yes, and I do

Quote:
Mutza are seriously trying to justify a blanket judgement of an entire population?

How do you feel about the state of Texas and the people that live there?
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 24 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-05-12 07:21:54 AM)

If that is the truth, we share a lot more in common than you might think Muzta.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5162 | Total Posts: 95 ]