Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > I'm going blind > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 369 | Total Posts: 5 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-21-12 07:32:41 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Blind in the sense that my vision will lose much of it's functionality, not necessarily in a "fade to black" sense of the the word.

Four years ago I noticed that my vision was starting to get blurry and I went to my optometrist to update my contact prescription. (I'm extremely myopic) After examining my eyes he grew concerned and refered me to an Ophthalmologists who would diagnosis me with Pellucid marginal degeneration. The short version is that the cornea begins to thin, and as a result bulge under the internal eye pressure. This bulge causes an extremely pronounced, and my case irregular, astigmatism.

The disease has continued to progress over the last four years and my vision with glasses is now about 20/30, and that's 20/30 with a healthy amount of educated guessing on the charts. I have spent an enormous amount of time and money trying to be fit with rigid corrective lens but to this point it's been a bust.

There is theoretically a "cure" in that I could have a corneal transplant, but in addition to the risk I would also have to find some one to pay for the procedure (30k+). Insurance companies won't foot the bill until it becomes medical necessity (blah blah...legally blind....blah blah....nightmare blah blah)

Thus I'm sort of in limbo and I'm growing kind.....despondent
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 5 (Originally posted on: 01-21-12 09:02:03 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Sorry to hear that. You said that it's related to interocular pressure? Would marijuana help with that?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 5 (Originally posted on: 01-22-12 02:11:00 AM)

That's bad news. But it sounds like the kind of spending that should be a priority, no matter if it's +30k or even more. Can't you get a loan for that sort of thing?
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 3 of 5 (Originally posted on: 01-22-12 06:16:33 AM)

Wow man, I'm sorry. Do you have any idea how long it will take?
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 5 (Originally posted on: 01-22-12 04:05:57 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Sorry to hear that. You said that it's related to interocular pressure? Would marijuana help with that?

You know there is other medications to treat high eye pressure, but no, not in this case, I mean it might alleviate it slightly (from a pressure vessel point stand point)

Quote:
Wow man, I'm sorry. Do you have any idea how long it will take?

No, and that's actually the worse part. The idea of spending decades in some kind of horrible grey area is very troubling.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 5 of 5 (Originally posted on: 01-23-12 03:31:32 AM)

I'm trying to think about ways to prepare for impending blindness, but I'm sorta stuck after "try to get a house without stairs."
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 369 | Total Posts: 5 ]