Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > New Year's Resolutions (VERY SERIOUS) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1023 | Total Posts: 36 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-18-12 12:44:11 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I made an RS thread about this but I really mean this one!!

So like, I used to think that the idea that someone needed an occasion like the new year or a birthday to make a significant change in their life seemed, well, I dunno, kinda weak I guess. But this year I find myself thinking about it differently, I'm not sure why. I guess as I get older I appreciate more how I'm just another person, and more willingly admit that there are reasons that people do what they do. It's hard to be revolutionary. An reason to look back and examine your life isn't necessary in order to do that, but that's kind of how the human mind works.

In the past I would always have joke resolutions, like "curse more." Last year it was "build an igloo" (failed! no snow... so that's on the list again). But I guess I like the idea of resolutions better now. Maybe I'm less arrogant and I can appreciate the desire to improve oneself a little better... maybe I'm growing up! anyway this year I've decided to learn how to make Turkish food. it seems like a good thing to do while I live in very Turkish neighborhood... that's basically the only kind of food I can find around here anyway.

So I got two questions, kinda. Does anyone know any good Turkish cookbooks? Probably not. More importantly, do you guys have any resolutions?
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 1 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-18-12 04:00:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm having the opposite reaction I think. Holidays have been becoming less and less special to me, I barely notice them come and go anymore.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 2 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-18-12 06:56:06 PM)

Last year I made a few good resolutions, and I fulfilled them all. Last year was fucking awesome for me. This year I just resolved to get a new apartment (which I did), and to just evolve and mature as person (which I'm doing). So doing pretty good so far.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 3 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-18-12 07:30:14 PM)

Even as early as January I somewhat knew that my life was going to be completely different in the months to come. I had no idea how different.
As I reflect on the past year negative things come to mind. I lost five friends to suicide, my house burned down, and I realized that I hated my career.

In retrospect my house burning down was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. Who knew that losing all your earthly possessions and distractions would be such a motivator. With no geographic attachments I pretty much knew from the moment I dug through the ashes of my house looking for a hand me down ring my grandfather gave me I was finished with my life in Tennessee. For the first time in my life I started making proactive decisions instead of reactive decisions. I thought about what I really wanted and what was important to my happiness.

March rolled around I moved to New Orleans with the dream of starting a business with my long time best friend. We did just that and made a solid go at it for about six months. This was a lot to deal with at first. I was transplanted into a new place with lots and lots of new things to surround myself with. Life in New Orleans is like living in another country. There really isn't another place in the United States that compares to it.

After picking up a completely new skill set: Building Performance Institute Certifications, RESnet training at the Southface Institute, and LEED AP, I was ready to start networking and developing a real company. My friend already had these skills, so luckily I was able to shadow and be his assistant to really speed up the learning process. I now feel comfortable calling myself a home energy rater and a green building consultant. We rapidly made a name for ourselves in the New Orleans market and we realized that the collective knowledge we both share was extremely valuable to several different industries: solar, new construction, retrofits & weatherization, and water. We began to set up a professional networking calendar which put us in some strange meetings including neighborhood associations, mortgage brokers, financing, solar contractors, general contractors, insulation vendors, HVAC contractors - pretty much anyone associated with the building process.

In the midst of all this my emotions were literally on constant assault. I was so busy that I didn't really have time to talk. I started to miss human interaction outside of a professional setting. My friends were dying left and right and I was stressed to the max. I felt like I was on the verge of a complete fucking meltdown. I picked up my phone and called an a girl that I barely knew from TN. I prefaced the conversation with "I am pretty much a basket case right now and I need someone that doesn't really know me to gauge the sanity of my actions." I know that sounds strange, but I didn't want the bullshit answers that my friends would placate me with. What we talked about is completely irrelevant to this anecdote - what matters is that single outreach and conversation has led to one of the most emotionally fulfilling relationship of my life. (I finally got my Native American girl if you are reading this Greg) After preventing the nervous breakdown and entering a relationship that I really, really like I am feeling completely good about life again. I am busy, but so is she. We do what we can when we can and that sates all my urges. Our busy schedules have forced us to become really good friends first which is a drastic change of pace for me.

The hectic professional networking paid off! I met a guy and we merged our companies together. Now not only are we energy auditors but we actually teach building science classes as an affiliate for a few different national organizations - talk about adding credibility to your work! We are currently in negotiations with a few different contractors to develop a business model that would merge 5 different industries into a single sales presentation - at least all that shit I learned working for that asshole at Rainsoft will be utilized! If there is one thing I know how to do well, it is selling stuff.

Fast forward a few months to Christmas. I go back to TN to spend time with my family. It was this that made me realize how much I truly hated my old life and who I used to be.

2011 was a complete roller coaster. I went from sitting at a desk getting plastered at work to a meaningful career that is basically an all out war on fossil fuel. I go to sleep each day knowing that I am doing something to rid our dependency on fossil fuel. Each day I know that I saved a family some money in the long run. Yes, I get to make money too - but that isn't everything, you know? I am on the forefront of a cutting edge industry.

Moving forward I think I my resolution for 2012 is to simply never doubt myself again. I learned that when I put my mind to something I am a force to be reckoned with.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 4 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-18-12 08:09:36 PM)

Last winter starting in January I started losing a lot of weight, intentionally. I've been trying to do the same this January.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 5 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 04:56:07 AM)

Wow that's great Nicko, I'm really impressed. It's not easy starting a business. That's great that things are looking up for you.

Quote:
I'm having the opposite reaction I think. Holidays have been becoming less and less special to me, I barely notice them come and go anymore.

I'm not sure you understood what I meant. What I meant was, I feel like the human brain needs milestones, excuses sorta, to look back and examine life from another perspective. A tragic example of this is Nicko's house burning down he took the opportunity to examine what he was doing and make changes. The new year can be a natural, much less catastrophic opportunity to do the same thing (if you allow it to).
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 6 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 06:31:03 AM)

Quoted from nik:
i'm fucking amazing

this is pretty gay, who cares

isn't the point of new years resolutions thread supposed to be about what you intend to do in the future, not bragging about what you have done in 2011?

as for myself, well, i have quite a few new years resolutions:

1. Buy lots of guns when I go back to America
2. Continue to hate being in the military with undying passion
3. Go to Thailand and fuck some prostitutes
4. Learn how to make bombs and DIY weapons

Yes, I think 2012 will be another fine year in my life
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 07:55:27 AM)

Quoted from oirassiv:
Quoted from nik:
i'm fucking amazing

2. Continue to hate being in the military with undying passion

This. As I submit my OCS packet with a trembling hand.

The rest of your post sucks though.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 8 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 02:31:37 PM)

Viss, bombs are easy.

I would just like to finish my undergraduate and apply for graduate school; probably to stop drinking, It's costing me entirely too much money; and finally really start working on game development.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 9 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 03:18:50 PM)

It isn't like we have too much content Vissario. I wasn't bragging. I haven't posted here in awhile. That was more of a "here is what I have been up to and this is why I say this."

Stop calling things you don't like gay. It makes you sound ignorant.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 10 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 08:06:17 PM)

What country are you in viss?
-ice
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 11 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-19-12 11:01:04 PM)

I made my resolutions a few days ago; kind of late, but I took the time to truly refine them. Following them is another story though

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 12 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 03:06:11 AM)

nice post
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 13 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 06:22:00 AM)

I think viss's problem is that he wasn't exposed to much more than a homogenized sample of the human population when he was growing up, which probably led to him growing up in an environment of bigotry, coupled with his intelligence that led him to develop views and intolerances that the rest of us think are a bit regressive.

Couple that with being lower enlisted in the Navy, and you pretty much have a recipe for gay being a derogatory adjective. I mean, I've been guilty of the same thing in the past, and I probably still do it sometimes today, but I don't think he really sees anything wrong with it.

Which is a shame, because even though he can be abrasive, I like him and I hope that he can get past all that crap and actually be a decent person who won't go all kooky in a bell tower because of the jews and blacks.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 06:52:54 AM)

Or maybe he's just a dick.
-ice
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 08:43:49 AM)

but maybe that's why
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 16 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 12:00:22 PM)

I always like to pretend it's some dumb joke, it just seems so forced sometimes
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 17 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 07:00:36 PM)

... that's the joke.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 18 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-20-12 08:32:08 PM)

well its a dumb joke then
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 19 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-21-12 07:32:45 AM)

I think he craves attention as has a strong sense of self superiority
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 20 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-22-12 07:21:27 PM)

After thought my resolutions are to:

1) Payback the 2k studentloan from Citibank I took out last August.
2) Save up ~1200 dollars to be able to cover the monthly payments of student loans starting in june for six months.
3) Leave in September to journey the eastern and southern united states looking for somewhere to settle
4) Paint five watercolour pictures
5) Write five short stories
6) Read Anna Karenina
7) Read The Idiot

I've just started jobs as a waiter at a chinese restaurant and a cook at perkins. Excitation.
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 21 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-26-12 04:30:51 AM)

1) quit smoking
2) save more money
3) code a proper iPhone app by the end of the year
The Big Deal
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 22 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-27-12 10:29:45 PM)

I stopped whacking off

No, seriously. The things your body will do to you after you stop masturbating are amazing and terrifying at the same time.
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-28-12 02:43:58 AM)

that's weird dude
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 36 (Originally posted on: 01-28-12 09:13:16 AM)

Quoted from ThePerfectCrock:
I stopped whacking off

No, seriously. The things your body will do to you after you stop masturbating are amazing and terrifying at the same time.

like what, giant boners or giant balls or something?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1023 | Total Posts: 36 ]