Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Official INTL Vidya Game Thread > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 9244 | Total Posts: 144 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 11-10-11 03:49:02 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Let's talk gaming. What are you playing, what games are you looking forward to, what games suck, etc.

One word. Skyrim.

It comes out tomorrow. Anybody getting it on launch day or going to a midnight release? Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for me to get it right away, so I'm stuck waiting for payday to roll around.

Another game I'm watching closely is Guild Wars 2. Having quit WoW I'm counting on this game to be the next big time-waster. And it looks pretty fucking sweet. The dynamic event system sounds so fun. No more running from NPC to NPC dealing with quests like "kill 7 gnolls" or "collect 10 pig asses."
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 1 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-10-11 04:44:04 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

The boyfriend is a big Elder Scrolls fan so I am surprising him with Skyrim tomorrow. I'm working all weekend so I figure I won't miss him too much if he's glued to the console, haha.

As for content, MW3 is pretty sweet!
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 2 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-10-11 06:23:05 PM)

minecraft?
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 3 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-10-11 06:35:36 PM)

Minecraft is so 2010. I do still play it from time to time.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 4 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-10-11 09:07:02 PM)

Can someone explain what the big deal is with Skyrim? I see reddit blow its load over this unreleased game like four times a day.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 5 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-10-11 10:40:03 PM)

I'm currently downloading skyrim, but on xbox I play Battlefield 3 for the most part.

I'm also waiting for minecraft to update during minecon so I don't have to do any weird installs to get it to work.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 6 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 01:24:33 AM)

I'm mostly playing Mount & Blade these days, especially the Mount & Musket mod (huge multiplayer Napoleonic line battles are awesome). I also got the whole GTA package deal off Steam and I'm playing through GTA IV.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 7 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 03:53:31 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Can someone explain what the big deal is with Skyrim? I see reddit blow its load over this unreleased game like four times a day.

Have you played any of the Elder Scrolls games? Morrowind? Oblivion? They're fantastic, huge, open-world, super-customizable RPGs. What's not to love? Skyrim is just the latest in the series. Some of the most fun I've had in a video game has been in one of these games.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 8 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 06:33:20 AM)

Quoted from arcanebrain:
Quoted from Ztolk:

Have you played any of the Elder Scrolls games? Morrowind? Oblivion? They're fantastic, huge, open-world, super-customizable RPGs. What's not to love? Skyrim is just the latest in the series. Some of the most fun I've had in a video game has been in one of these games.

Compared to TES III, IV was everything but a financial flop. Bethesda made a fortune off the game, but it didn't live up to the soul of the entire series; a fun and unique experience. I played Oblivion for a week, got disengaged, and put it down to collect dust.

When I played Morrowind, it was hard as a motherfucker completing the first few quests because of the lack of guidance and coercion from the game. I wandered around the lower part of the Island before I finally stumbled on Balmora a week later after hacking, slashing, and passing through weird looking cities and hamlets. THAT is good game play. It keeps a person engaged and interested in solving small problems that lead to bigger problems to solve. After that, everything started moving a lot faster and I found Dagoth Ur about 4 weeks later in his lair. I have a hard time getting into games, but the story behind that one was compelling and I actually felt a little anxious about the story and finding the conclusion. It was like reading a good book and trying to flip ahead the pages but you can't.

In Oblivion, you are literally spoon-fed every single detail about what you need to do, where you need to go, who you need to kill. And if that wasn't enough, you get a cursor that guides you to exactly every monster, item, and location that you need to kill, get, or be at. Even worse, the story was weak and it didn't really make me feel like sticking to it. I blame the lack of real dialogue. Sure, text boxes suck, but the amount of story-telling you get from them is unparalleled to scripted actors because there can only be so much audio before it hogs space on the game. Half of the fun of Morrowind was just reading the history of the Island and the biased points of view from the different clans and sects. I think I read that there were only about 1,200 unique NPCs on Oblivion compared to something like 5,000 on Morrowind. Sure, a lot were filler, but it was those random looking characters in those far-away villages that gave the game a sense of reality.

I've typed way to much about a video game to feel like an adult, but my point still stands. Oblivion was a step in the wrong direction to appeal to a larger market, and I don't see any reason why Skyrim will be different. I'll definitely be waiting until I can get it second hand or in the bargain bin.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 06:33:47 AM)

Oh is that what Skyrim is? Maybe i'll get it, sweet.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 10 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 08:45:44 AM)

Quoted from oirassiv:
Quoted from arcanebrain:
Quoted from Ztolk:

Compared to TES III, IV was everything but a financial flop. Bethesda made a fortune off the game, but it didn't live up to the soul of the entire series; a fun and unique experience. I played Oblivion for a week, got disengaged, and put it down to collect dust.

When I played Morrowind, it was hard as a motherfucker completing the first few quests because of the lack of guidance and coercion from the game. I wandered around the lower part of the Island before I finally stumbled on Balmora a week later after hacking, slashing, and passing through weird looking cities and hamlets. THAT is good game play. It keeps a person engaged and interested in solving small problems that lead to bigger problems to solve. After that, everything started moving a lot faster and I found Dagoth Ur about 4 weeks later in his lair. I have a hard time getting into games, but the story behind that one was compelling and I actually felt a little anxious about the story and finding the conclusion. It was like reading a good book and trying to flip ahead the pages but you can't.

In Oblivion, you are literally spoon-fed every single detail about what you need to do, where you need to go, who you need to kill. And if that wasn't enough, you get a cursor that guides you to exactly every monster, item, and location that you need to kill, get, or be at. Even worse, the story was weak and it didn't really make me feel like sticking to it. I blame the lack of real dialogue. Sure, text boxes suck, but the amount of story-telling you get from them is unparalleled to scripted actors because there can only be so much audio before it hogs space on the game. Half of the fun of Morrowind was just reading the history of the Island and the biased points of view from the different clans and sects. I think I read that there were only about 1,200 unique NPCs on Oblivion compared to something like 5,000 on Morrowind. Sure, a lot were filler, but it was those random looking characters in those far-away villages that gave the game a sense of reality.

I've typed way to much about a video game to feel like an adult, but my point still stands. Oblivion was a step in the wrong direction to appeal to a larger market, and I don't see any reason why Skyrim will be different. I'll definitely be waiting until I can get it second hand or in the bargain bin.

Oblivion definitely had it's issues but I wonder how much of what your describing is just a difference in your age when you played the two games? I've gone back and played a lot of the video games I loved when I was a kid and I'm always kind of surprised at just how rose-tinted my glasses actually are regarding this sort of thing.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 04:17:23 PM)

I found my brother's GBA while cleaning out the basement, and picked up my Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past save file (Dungeon 4 of the Dark World [from maybe 2003?]) and finally beat it, but that's the most recent video game playing I've done, and that was more than a month ago. It was pretty fun.

I kind of wanted to play through Little Big Adventure 2/Twinsen's Odyssey again as a result, but I went through that game for the umpteenth time in 2008 or 2009 and I managed to do just about everything in the game (minus all the dialogue) in under nine hours, and I still remember how to complete most of the game, so I decided not to.

Some games have looked really good (Batman: Arkham City looks like a lot of fun), but I don't have the money for any systems, and more recently, I've spent my time reading books and comics, and playing board games. Most of my friends are the same way. The ones that still play video games and MMOs don't really leave their houses to join us when we invite them out, and we've lost touch over the past couple of years.

That said, with the way video games are continuing to develop, I'm really liking a lot of the soundtracks (Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell soundtrack and remixed soundtrack were really cool), and I would absolutely love doing some of the voices.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 06:41:00 PM)

I never played Oblivion, but vissario's rant made me load up the morrowind theme song on youtube. So fucking beautiful. I never got too far in that game because I was pretty busy when I first started playing and it was tough to get re-immersed, but that game was pretty damned cool.. and that theme song..
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 13 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 07:32:05 PM)

I've been playing Skyrim quite a bit today, and I must say it's feel is very cohesive and believable compared to Oblivion. The characters are much more believable, and all of the gameplay mechanisms (smithing, mining, crafting, enchanting, and so on) work really well. My only complaint thus far is that I can't make my character look incredibly ugly like I could in Oblivion.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 14 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-11-11 07:44:41 PM)

Skyrim is fucking gorgeous.

Oblivion isn't so much of a game but more "feature testing" from the development crew. Can't really compare the two. Skyrim definitely has more in common with Morrowind than Oblivion.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 15 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-12-11 01:10:34 AM)

Quoted from goatsnacks:
I've been playing Skyrim quite a bit today, and I must say it's feel is very cohesive and believable compared to Oblivion. The characters are much more believable, and all of the gameplay mechanisms (smithing, mining, crafting, enchanting, and so on) work really well. My only complaint thus far is that I can't make my character look incredibly ugly like I could in Oblivion.

Did they at least get rid of the HUD compass that directs you to every goal/monster/location like it was in Oblivion? Out of all the flawed things on that game, that was the singular one that really irritated the fuck out of me over and over and over again. I mean, really, the absurdity of it was amazing; you are an ex-convict recently sprung from jail and you magically know the way to every town, village, dungeon, chest, boss, NPC, et cetera and can track them in real time once someone gives you the general quest to find them. You're like a fucking missile that's using an active seeker to find its target in mid-air more than adventurer exploring uncharted wilderness and dungeons.

And please, please tell me that they killed automatic point-and-click fast-travel to whatever major city you want straight out of the tutorial. That totally defeats the point of having an "adventure" game. If Skyrim axed both of these things, I may buy it after some better reviews come out.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 16 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-12-11 05:21:00 AM)

Actually, YES! At first I was thinking it wouldn't work, but when you're running around, the only thing visible is a thin line that is the compass, but even it can be turned off. The HUD and all hint systems can be completely disabled.

As far as I can tell there is still fast travel, but I haven't wanted to use it once. They also have carriages that can take you places, and although I haven't used them yet, I believe those are in real time.

It is definitely different walking into a town in Skyrim compared to Oblivion; the people are performing task, they're conversing, and in much more organic ways. There are still problems, even glitches, but I find myself looking for books and reading them (even reading is highly improved) and wanting to really get what's going on this time around.

As for the glitches I mentioned, I was walking around a valley between a fort and a town and a man on a horse was bobbing around, floating as if a large child was zooming them around the sky -- and then the man and his horse vanished off into the distance. I couldn't stop laughing.

OH, also, if you do play this Vissario, which I implore you, try to fight a giant at an early level. The outcome is hilarious.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 17 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-12-11 06:37:38 AM)

I haven't been able to get into a game in awhile, I'm kind of hoping Diablo 3 will be the exception, as of now I'm still fucking around in minecraft
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 18 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-12-11 06:53:45 AM)

Following the trend of playing games long, long after they're out because I tend to have shitty computers, perhaps I should give Morrowind a try.

Also, is Skyrim pronounced more like Sky-rim or Ski-rim?
-ice
D
Administrator

Reply 19 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-12-11 08:17:20 AM)

Play fallout 3 instead.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 20 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-13-11 04:22:06 AM)

I think the name Skyrim is a literal translation from an older civilization to mean "The rim of the sky", so sky-rim, but also that's what every character in the game calls it.

The Fallout games are great alternatives to the happy-go-lucky fantasy worlds of the Elder Scrolls series.
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-13-11 10:30:57 AM)

Yeah, as much as I love morrowind and the atmosphere of it, if you're going to play an older game of that style, fallout 3 really is the better game. It's only downside is that the main quest is really short.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 22 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-13-11 05:09:23 PM)

Will my lack of graphics card be an issue?
-ice
D
Administrator

Reply 23 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-13-11 06:22:12 PM)

www.canyourunit.com
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 24 of 144 (Originally posted on: 11-13-11 06:24:22 PM)

I just talked to a guy about skyrim it sounded really fun. He's chopping wood right now. Before that he was reading some books and before that he was decorating his house and learning to cook.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9244 | Total Posts: 144 ]