Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > 5 year plan > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4141 | Total Posts: 49 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
(Originally posted on: 06-03-11 01:59:06 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

It seems to be kind of common for people to have a 5 year plan, of goals or points you hope to have reached in 5 years time. Do any of you have a 5 year plan or place's you generally see yourselves in 5 years time?

I'm personally a huge life planner. I'm not so silly as the believe I can plan every little thing in my life and have it go accordingly, but in my mind I have a general age i'd like to do everything.

Anyway I guess my general 5 year plan is (at the moment anyway):

2011: - move back to Australia
- work hard to bring up my GPA at university to a distinction average
- save hard, and pay off all the debt i've incurred from traveling around europe
- Start learning Japanese again
- Assist my photographer friend in fashion shoots he does on the weekends

2012:
- Continue good grade's at university, start looking at internships for the summer
- Have become good enough at online poker that I can use it to supplement having a casual job, as earning a small amount with that along with student welfare is enough for me to live off.
- Have gained a wedding photography assistant role(unpaid obviously) with my photographer friends friend.
- Save for a trip to Japan

2013:
- Graduate University either mid-year or at the end of 2013 with Business/International Relations double degree
- Start doing wedding photography as a weekend hobby, try to build a good reputation amongst clients
- Go on a trip to Japan either mid-year or at the end of the year, depending on when university ends
- Have made a business plan for a milkshake bar my boyfriend and I are toying with the idea currently. Hopefully by 2013 will have been decided whether it's a dud idea or one with potential. (this idea has come from our time in England seeing many milkshake bars which have been busy, and we've personally really enjoyed going to reguarly, and noticing that there's nothing similar we could think of or find online within our own city back home.)

2014:
- Get a job within marketing/PR
- Grow my weekend photography business
- have rough plans for the opening of milkshake bar by start of 2015
- Become engaged if i'm still with my current boyfriend.

2015:
- Open milkshake bar
- Quit job (the idea being i've had a year to save, plus should our business fail I have a better chance of being hired back into the industry than if we'd tried to create a business my first year out of university)
- Maintain wedding photography business as a hobby

2016:
- Either have made a huge mess up with all our savings or have succeeded in opening a small successful business that has potential to grow. be aware of whether we wish to continue being small business owners or go back into the workforce.
- Begin saving for a deposit on a townhouse in the city

This is all ambitious and vague, but that's how I feel things only can be with a 5 year plan. No doubt in 5 years time my life will be very different to the rough plans I have there, but that's where i'd like to see myself all the same. If by 2016 I can be 26 years old, with a successful business with my partner, and with my own small business as a wedding photographer, then I will be very happy with how life is going.

Sooo what's yours?
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-03-11 10:27:05 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Finish my PhD in astrophysics, get a good post doc position. That's the extent of my plans.

More short term, finish the data product I'm working on (catalog of IGM absorption lines in STIS/FUSE data) and get it published by end of summer.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 2 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 08:47:10 AM)

Finish my master's.

No other decided-on plans.

I hate thinking about the future.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 3 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 11:19:44 AM)

Save up a downpayment for a house. Go back to school.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 4 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 11:51:44 AM)

Quoted from The Butt Ox:
Finish my master's.

No other decided-on plans.

I hate thinking about the future.

The future is fun Dimi. At the very least you should have talked about all the girl butts you hope to see.

Help my best friend grow his business and our income

Facilitate change in New Orleans

Have a great time with a lot of amazing women, maybe finding one that is a keeper

I have personal health and fitness goals

At least one live concert a month would be 60 concerts

Become a skilled DJ

Remain current and up to date on green building practices

Read one book a month, so 60 books

Create a completely custom halloween costume each year for NOLA halloween

Learn a lot about horticulture

Write a children's book

Become more active in the UU church

Be completely debt free

5 years is a very long time, but I think the above is a good start.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
D
Administrator

Reply 5 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 12:25:07 PM)

Quote:
The future is fun Dimi. At the very least you should have talked about all the girl butts you hope to see.

I talk about this enough already.

When I was a kid and something didn't go as I planned or hoped, my mom would try to comfort me by telling me a phrase she had heard (excuse the rough and unpoetic translation by me) - Whenever God needs a laugh he just listens in on the plans we are making.

That kind of stuck with me as I saw it ring true over and over again growing up. Instead of making long-term plans, I listen to how i'm feeling now, make short-term plans, keep my ears open and be pro-active about them. I'm not saying this is the best way to do things, but it's the way I do them because long plans always stop making sense to me after a while and I wonder why i'm working hard to accomplish a goal I no longer care about. I'm much more comfortable in the present, the future is too hazy for my liking. I'll enjoy it when I get there.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 01:59:42 PM)

wow. i don't even know what I'm doing next week
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 7 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 02:02:17 PM)

the future does not exist
neon

Reply 8 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 02:12:19 PM)

Because you are living a crazy awesome life in Berlin.

Dimi that sounds like a fair enough reasoning. I'm just the kind of person who can't do that. I have always been a manic planner, and I just really enjoy planning things. I like knowing I have goals that i'm aiming for in the next 6 years, and I guess i've had parents and adults around me whilst growing up that have, to some extent, set examples of how I don't want my life to turn out.
neon

Reply 9 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 02:16:10 PM)

I also think I feel the need to emphasis this is just how I want things to go, and what i'm working towards. Motivation on those nights I am sick of uni and want to drop out. I'm not going to go mental if i'm not engaged at 24, or if I don't graduate with top grade's.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 10 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 02:48:26 PM)

I have a hard time planning for the future but I have some goals for the next 5 years:

1. Pay off all my student loans.
2. Get a new car.
3. Save enough money for a down payment on a kick-ass house.
4. Get the hell out of retail.
5. Achieve my goal weight and maintain it.
6. For the love of god, stop rocking the Razr.
7. Visit the Middle East.

In 10 years, I'd like to own a camel.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 11 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 04:09:07 PM)

This thread is clearly retarded, everyone knows the world is going to end on December 22nd, 2012. Your plans are all fucked!
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-04-11 04:46:37 PM)

Quoted from loudpack masterchef:
wow. i don't even know what I'm doing next week

I'm similar. When people invite me to do things that are more than a week away I have no idea what to tell them. I've started replying with "I dunno what i'm doing that day, I might be in Spain that weekend" as a joke since people know this about me.
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 13 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-05-11 03:55:48 PM)

Yeah, I tend not to make plans too far in advance. I like to see the chips fall where they may. Generally I hold to the Burns' line of 'the best laid plans of mice, and men oft go awry.' Of course, with less scottish inflection. Though I would say these are my general plans: graduate in spring of 2013 from Minnesota with a degree in organic horticulture, and then join the peace corps, and hopefully work in Africa. Also, work on a vinyard, or organic farm somewhere next summer.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 14 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-05-11 08:18:38 PM)

Not gonna lie, my plan is pretty much just: money & sex.

In fact one of my only short term goals is to go down to nah awleans to drink booze, do drugs, and bang some american sloots with nickolati.

On a more serious note, I've always got the impression that the people who place alot of stock in the future are the people that are the most unhappy with their current lives. Personally, I live my life on a short-term basis. I obviously have goals in that I want to eventually start a family, but I feel that I'd miss out on too many experiences if I concentrated solely on the endgame. I know alot of physicists that are so concerned about the letters designated after their name that they are passing up the experience of being young. Not to be corny, but life is what you make it....and if you concentrate so entirely on how you're going to "better yourself" through careers, you'll miss out on the opportunities that present themselves everyday.

There's alot of euphemisms that support the mentality ("life is what happens when you're making other plans", and etc), but I just feel that if you are so unhappy with your current self you will likely never be happy with yourself in the future, regardless of the accomplishments.

I'm really not referring to anybody in this thread because yall know I love yall, I just wanted to relate this thread to certain people I know in real life. You know who you are.
Simfish II

Ballkicks: (+7 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2007
Reply 15 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-22-11 04:43:53 PM)

Ha, this would be a good thread to post on Reddit/HG/elsewhere.

As for me, just get into a PhD program for astrophysics/planetary science, and score big with 3D modelling of exoplanetary atmospheres (which is a growing field with high demand but few practitioners).

Though I'd still mostly describe my life as "meh". Mostly, I still waste time, whether it's Reddit or back issues of Science Magazine.
Simfish / InquilineKea
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 16 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-23-11 11:53:55 PM)

Whoring.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 17 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 09:18:20 AM)

Quoted from Simfish II:
As for me, just get into a PhD program for astrophysics/planetary science, and score big with 3D modelling of exoplanetary atmospheres (which is a growing field with high demand but few practitioners).

Is there seriously yet another physics person on this board? The ratio of physicists:nonphysicists here must be like 4000 times that of the general population.
this is where i write about alcohol these are restaurants i like
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 18 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 02:52:51 PM)

Me, you, brad, simfish, tart, that dragon guy. Anyone else?
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 19 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 03:43:57 PM)

My guess is that the nonphysicists are mostly made up of engineers of some type.

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 20 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 04:17:35 PM)

Yeah but engineers are just normal people who think they know stuff, not physicists

lolz
this is where i write about alcohol these are restaurants i like
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 21 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 07:29:43 PM)

yeah i studied history what up
D
Administrator

Reply 22 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 07:50:22 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Yeah but engineers are just normal people who think they know stuff, not physicists

lolz

UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 23 of 49 (Originally posted on: 06-24-11 07:50:26 PM)

what about herstory

chauvinist fuck

atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 24 of 49 (Originally posted on: 07-03-11 02:02:36 AM)

Quote:
yeah i studied history what up

How's that working for ya?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4141 | Total Posts: 49 ]