Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The World Exploded Here > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 1570 | Total Posts: 20 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 05-23-11 05:19:57 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I got called in to work early last night for disaster relief. Joplin, MO is down the road from us a wee bit, and their major hospital got leveled by a tornado. They had about a 5-minute warning before all of the windows exploded and people got sucked out of them. As a result, we got most of their transfers and a lot of the newly injured that they managed to find in the dark with no power. I'm about to head back to work now in our over-capacity hospital. The sorts of injuries were typically head trauma, crushed bones, broken bones (I saw legs, arms, skulls, faces, whatever), gashes and cuts (people thrown through glass windows) and whipped through trees), punctures from flying goodies (rocks, cinder blocks, toilets, wood chips), several people were impaled by flying lengths of.. whatever. Oh, and rolled cars with people in them. They say the tornado was "rain-wrapped," which apparently makes it so that you can't see it coming.

Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-23-11 06:06:00 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

The rapture has begun.
bradism.
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 2 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 12:48:14 AM)

That looks like an insane amount of damage. Is there and estimate on how many casualties? I'm imagining alot if there was less than 5 minutes warning?
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 3 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 01:04:47 AM)

News claims at least 116 are dead; with at least 500 injured. 75% of the city was damaged in some way.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 4 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 01:52:45 AM)

They're still finding people.. the problem is continuing severe storm conditions. A cop that had come down from Kansas City to help was struck by lightning, for example. Because there isn't much power or infrastructure, they're having a hell of a time with the limited light, too. We're over-capacity in the hospital right now.. thankfully it hasn't been too bad, since most of these injuries were bone breaks and whatnot so it's mostly just been pumping people with pain meds. The head traumas from flinging people around and into and through stuff has been a little more complicated, though. Then you include lightning strikes...

Bye bye Academy Sports, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot (notice all the piled up riding lawnmowers).

This reply was last edited on 05-24-11 03:21:30 AM by IF0.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 5 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 02:39:41 AM)

Man, that's crazy. Glad you're okay and it's awesome that you're helping out.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 6 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 02:45:56 AM)

That's scary.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
IF0
Administrator

Reply 7 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 03:27:31 AM)

I guess they've found 17 people in the rubble so far.. how much ass would it suck to be stuck under a building for 2 days whilst being rained on. And probably broken.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 8 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 03:48:00 AM)

Lotsa blood.

Hospital.

Used to be neighborhoods.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 9 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 04:27:56 AM)

Holy fuck I hope your friends and family are ok.

This is the worst we've had in Toronto.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 10 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 05:28:59 AM)

I wish I had leave to come down and help, but since they aren't activating my unit, I'm stuck up here keeping an eye on maintenance and readiness. I'm trying to think if I've gotten any cool information, but really I'm just getting numbers a little before news stations are.

Stay safe and let me know if you see anything people could really use down there, we may be able to find some resources.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
IF0
Administrator

Reply 11 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 05:35:25 PM)

I signed up to go help with the medical stuff, but I'm guessing with a non-functioning hospital (9-story building twisted and distorted off of its foundation wtf) that they have enough bored and jobless pharmacy personnel there at the triage sites.

Not only was the city jacked up, but the 1,700 that worked at the hospital, then plus all the ones at Wal-Mart, Academy, Home Depot, and everywhere else that was destroyed now have no job.

(1,500 still unaccounted for/missing so I'm sure there will be something to do at some point)
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 07:12:02 PM)

Quoted from loudpack masterchef:
Man, that's crazy. Glad you're okay and it's awesome that you're helping out.

The only thing to add to this is, is there a way for distant folk with little money to help out? I was reading a bit about this in the paper today. What a terrible situation.
how is this for a quote
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 13 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 07:55:00 PM)

Red Cross is taking cash. I can get a direct link tomorrow.

Joplin is about to get hit again. This is not good. So far, everyone I know down there is alive, but tonight is really testing my faith. And the storm is heading for Richard, then me. Can't wait to wake up at 2am to my weather alarm.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
IF0
Administrator

Reply 14 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 07:58:14 PM)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/joplin.how.to.help/index.html

There are a bunch of options there.

Yeah, we're watching the radar here at work, on the lookout for more tornadoes. Great weekend for a reception, Matt! It's supposed to hit here within 2 hours.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 15 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-24-11 08:09:32 PM)

Whatever, try to show up if you can. If you're stuck with this tornado stuff, I understand. To be fair, I didn't know the world was going to explode where my friends live.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 16 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-25-11 01:56:39 PM)

Missouri and fuckin tornadoes.

Seriously.

P.S. Remember when ya'll thought I was a corpse from a tornado? Good times.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
IF0
Administrator

Reply 17 of 20 (Originally posted on: 05-25-11 03:48:01 PM)

Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 18 of 20 (Originally posted on: 06-01-11 09:09:20 AM)

This stuff is horrible. There are neighborhoods in NOLA that look like this still, and that is 5 years after Katrina. I can't imagine how long it is going to take a town like that to bounce back.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 19 of 20 (Originally posted on: 06-01-11 02:59:00 PM)

I was reading a sad article today about the kids whose parents both died protecting them. Not happy.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 20 of 20 (Originally posted on: 06-02-11 11:16:15 AM)

That's the worst. Those are the stories about Haiti that always kill me too. Fuck, man now I'm depressed.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1570 | Total Posts: 20 ]