Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What are your fears? -AND/OR- Guess other peoples fears!!! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 8668 | Total Posts: 101 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-12-11 02:00:26 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

For some reason I just thought of something that really scares me: Being in very deep water, like far out in the Ocean. I can swim very well (was a lifeguard for a few years), but I find deep water to be very very unsettling. It scares me to think of miles and miles of unknown blackness beneath my feet. It may be a worry of sharks/sea-monsters, but I don't attribute those things to being something I'm afraid of in particular. I think it's more just a control issue and having unexplored territory beneath my feet.

What are you guys afraid of?

[/Serious]

Nickolati: The Man
IF0: Carbohydrates
Ice: Ronald Reagan
Bon: brown people
Vissario: black people
zippo: mislabeled prescriptions
amphy: marijuana
Doc: FA
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 1 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 02:11:21 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I really am terrified of "the man."

I don't really have other phobias. When you grow up in the country, it kinda gets you over your fear of critters and creatures. For the most part, nature will never really bother you unless you provoke it. All of my fears are generated by man and have absolutely nothing to do with nature.

Tart, losing control is something I think most men fear. Being scared is only human. Courage is doing stuff in spite of your fear. I think its alright to be scared of the ocean as long as you don't let your fear keep you from swimming.

Being fearless is synonymous with being stupid in my opinion.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 02:15:00 PM)

I'm also scared of deep waters. But for me it's more because I know i'm not a pro swimmer. I can swim around the pool fine but I know if I had to swim any significant distance to save my life i'd be fucked. Also I've been chucked around a few times in the ocean so I have an idea of how deceivingly powerful the waves can be. Also scary underwater monsters and seaweed.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 3 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 02:20:51 PM)

As for guessing the fears of others...

Amphy - public speaking
IFO - not being able to fend for his family
Sandamnit - being wrong/publicly shamed
Vissario - being poor
Zippo - offending people
Ice - white people
Green Identity - being judged
Dr. Nick - the wellbeing of his family
Tartarus - having his manhood questioned

Collectively I think every single person on the planet is scared of failure. Our fear of failure keeps us from even trying to do a lot of things.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
This reply was last edited on 04-12-11 02:26:39 PM by Nickolati.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 4 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 02:23:13 PM)

I'm pretty solid with lakes, especially ones that I know alot about. I grew up on Lake Erie and despite it being one of the "Great Lakes", it's shallow as hell and only gets to about 50 feet or so. I have no problem swimming in that. But then when I consider swimming in Lake Superior which gets to about 500 feet deep...I get a bit creeped out. And those are freshwater bodies of water where there ARE no large predatory animals.

It definitely is just a loss of control, or a fear of the unknown.

I've swam in both oceans without much of a worry, but (as most sensible people do), I never ventured that far from the beach. If I went on a boat out to deeper waters, I'd probably be pretty freaked out by the depths below me.

Also:

dimi - Having a reddit post of his go unreplied
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 5 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 02:59:07 PM)

I am a pretty bad swimmer and I also have a fear of deep water
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 6 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 03:50:01 PM)

Bugs. When I was in 2nd grade one of those bugs that looks like a leaf jumped on me and ever since then I hate those motherfuckers. I will freak out like a little girl if a bug lands on my body.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 7 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 04:21:19 PM)

People finding out that I'm less confident than I pretend to be.
"ztolk it seems like all you do is watch videos of muscular people vomiting"
-ice
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 8 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 06:17:59 PM)

To Dimi and Ice and others that are afraid of deep water:

Is it solely because you can't swim, and the fear of drowning is what scares you? Or is it more like what I've described?

I've thought about my fear of deep water in a similar fashion to people who fear heights. I think it's rooted in the subconscious idea that our feet always need to be planted on solid ground, and the idea of not having that security removes us from our comfort zone.

To me, height isn't really an issue unless it's in a position where I am likely to fall off. For instance, I'm not the least bit afraid of flying in planes or driving over large bridges. They both have safety records that I believe in. If were standing on the literal edge of a tall building, yes I'd be afraid because something like a gust of wind could easily push me over. I don't consider that a psychological "phobia", rather just survival instincts.

But on the same thought, my fear of deep water isn't as firmly lodged in survival instincts, because I can swim very well for long periods of time. And as I said, even in Lakes where they are no "sea-monsters" I still feel creeped out by the darkness below my feet.

I donno. Just thinking out loud here.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 9 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:34:05 PM)

Quoted from Trouser Gravy:
Eh. I think the same could be said about most people. I'd say I'm less afraid of being wrong and more afraid of wrongly believing I'm right when it comes to really important shit (read: things outside of "the internet"). I couldn't really care less if I'm wrong about stupid shit, it happens. Mostly, I just like debate and trolling on occasion. Same goes for being shamed, seriously, who likes to be shamed?

I'd say, in reality, I'm more afraid of getting bored and running out of constructive things to do. I really don't like being without a project, I like to stay busy and be challenged; I'm very goal-oriented, coupled with an addictive personality.

Of course, there's the obvious shit: burning alive in a fire, suffocating to death, having my teeth fall out, being paralyzed, leeches swimming up my urethra, etc., but who doesn't fear those things?

Also: the desire to be "right" does not imply that one fears being "wrong". AS for me, I just feel that striving to understand something thoroughly is more important than rationalizing things or ignoring them for the sake of comfort and ease.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 10 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:36:14 PM)

I get the deep water thing. There's a sort of fear of large open areas I have. It's not really a phobia because I don't freak out or anything but it's a strange feeling. I get it when I'm swimming at night and there's a pool light on (the darkness at the edges of the light could go on infinitely).

My biggest "thing" is actually blood. I feint.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 11 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:48:47 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
there's the obvious shit: burning alive in a fire, suffocating to death, having my teeth fall out, being paralyzed, leeches swimming up my urethra, etc., but who doesn't fear those things?

But none of those are things that you would face on any regular day. They don't count. I almost find that the extent you've gone to argue against Nickolati in his guess kinda supports his original statement? Just sayin bro.

Quote:
I get the deep water thing. There's a sort of fear of large open areas I have. It's not really a phobia because I don't freak out or anything but it's a strange feeling. I get it when I'm swimming at night and there's a pool light on (the darkness at the edges of the light could go on infinitely).

I've always wondered about agoraphobia, because I've never felt anything but fascination when I'm in wide open spaces. I just don't understand the perspective of somebody afraid of wide open spaces. Maybe you can help me understand?

Although I'm not trying to dispute your relation between open spaces and the deep-water-phobia....but I just think that the difference is that in open spaces you are able to see your surroundings and see the dangers around you, while deep water doesn't really lend you that same possibility.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 12 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:52:43 PM)

I don't know, it's not agoraphobia exactly. I guess it could bloom into that but I really enjoy shit like camping and hiking to the tops of mountains.

It's just this bizarre feeling I get when I don't see the edges of an entire space. Not sure if I'm making any sense.

It's not like I avoid swimming at night or anything. It's more of an odd fascination, really. It's probably caveman instincts (gotta watch for dinosaurs).
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 13 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:53:29 PM)

Quoted from too busy bitchin':
Quoted from Sandamnit:
there's the obvious shit: burning alive in a fire, suffocating to death, having my teeth fall out, being paralyzed, leeches swimming up my urethra, etc., but who doesn't fear those things?

But none of those are things that you would face on any regular day. They don't count.
omg yah rite fag lol
Quote:
I almost find that the extent you've gone to argue against Nickolati in his guess kinda supports his original statement? Just sayin bro.
Yes, I've taken great pains to "argue" with Nick. You so got me!

In fact, if you actually read what I wrote, I'm agreeing with him, just not as strongly as he originally stated it.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 14 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:54:26 PM)

I thought this was more of a phobia thread. If we're just listing shit we're scared of I'll add automatic weapons, radiation and household poisons to my fucking list.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 15 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:57:18 PM)

What are the circumstances that you feel the fear you are describing?

Okay let met present to you a few situations and you can tell me if you feel your fear:

a) Your in a foreign plaza in a European City surrounded by hundreds of foreign speakers and walled in by architecture.
b) you're at a hilltop in the northern apalachians and your surrounded by trees and can only see civilization in the distance in the form of faint lights
c) your on one of the northern most islands in north america where even trees don't grow, and you're living in a remote outpost town with only a few others surrounded by snow and tundra and frozen ocean
d) you're at the center of a sold out football stadium in dallas texas

Just askin.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 16 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:58:25 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from Sandamnit:

But none of those are things that you would face on any regular day. They don't count.
omg yah rite fag lol
Quote:
I almost find that the extent you've gone to argue against Nickolati in his guess kinda supports his original statement? Just sayin bro.
Yes, I've taken great pains to "argue" with Nick. You so got me!

Sandamnit - Being replied to on an INTL thread
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 17 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:59:07 PM)

More like I am floating in a dark place. There is a single spotlight shining on me. I don't know what exists outside of that spotlight.

C might be the closest to that.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 18 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 07:59:11 PM)

Quote:
You're horrible at this.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 19 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 08:01:00 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quote:
You're horrible at this.

What's "this"?

fighting over the internet? I don't give a fuck man. But like Nickolati pointed out...you have a phobia of not being seen as the most enlightened and intelligent guy in the room.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 20 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 08:06:27 PM)

"Leeches swimming up your urethra" wins this thread.

I know what I am dreaming about tonight. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 21 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 08:13:40 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quote:
You're horrible at this.

What's "this"?
You're horrible at being interesting.

edit: and horrible at being clever.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 22 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 08:19:44 PM)

Then don't read, idiot.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 23 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 08:22:13 PM)

Please just try harder.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 24 of 101 (Originally posted on: 04-12-11 08:22:35 PM)

I never thought I'd say this, but I really wish vissario would come back.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 8668 | Total Posts: 101 ]