Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Drunken Voyageur > N'awlins. > Viewing Thread
Also Here:
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3328 | Total Posts: 28 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-31-11 05:51:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So, I am going to New Orleans over St. Patty's Day. I have a friend there, but am looking for suggestions on things to do. I don't want to do lame touristy stuff, but cool touristy stuff is good.

Also, places to eat!
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 08:32:56 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I went like twelve years ago and basically hung out in the french quarter for a week.

Any suggestions I have are probably out of date. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 2 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 09:38:14 AM)

The French Quarter is pretty sweet. I was just there about a month ago, but was only there for a couple days. I recommend K-Joe's Restaurant, which is just off of Bourbon Street. Also, Cafe du Monde always has really good beignets. Other than that, I didn't leave the French Quarter much, so that's all I got.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 3 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 10:47:44 AM)

Heyyyyyyyy I went there in April so I actually have something tiny to contribute!

If you're into art, you need to go to City Park and see the New Orleans Museum of Art. They have an AMAZING five acre sculpture garden with everything from Rodin to Oldenberg. It's pretty amazing. Actually, all of City Park is really neat.

I'm sure Nickolati will second me that you need to eat at Napoleon House. The food there is absolutely incredible.

Walk around a lot. & drink lots of Barq's.

Ok that's all I can think of.
Nickolati: i would have gone to the doctor, because I am pussy trapped in a lumberjack's body
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 11:42:14 AM)

I've never been, but I just want to say that New Orleans is one of the few designated party cities in North America, so you really have no excuse for not experiencing it to the utmost. As in, get drunk, get high, get laid, etc. Nawlins is like Vegas to me....what happens there stays there.

I'd haphazardly suggest that you should tour through the unrepaired zones after Katrina, but I personally know that I'd be far too hungover during the days to do it myself, and probably way to preoccupied with other things at night.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 5 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 12:23:39 PM)

Quoted from too busy bangin':
I'd haphazardly suggest that you should tour through the unrepaired zones after Katrina, but I personally know that I'd be far too hungover during the days to do it myself, and probably way to preoccupied with other things at night.

You could also just drive on I10 west out of the city and across the lake. It travels past a LOT of damage in Eastern New Orleans--the Six Flags that was there, car dealerships, motels, strip malls, etc. completely abandoned.
Nickolati: i would have gone to the doctor, because I am pussy trapped in a lumberjack's body
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 6 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 01:22:20 PM)

I just remember how awesome it was to just be walking down the street and someone would just set up shop and start playing a jazz trumpet or whatever.

Also, fake vampires.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 7 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 08:02:34 PM)

I am moving to New Orleans on March 1st! So help me god if we do not drink a bottle of vodka together I will hate you forever.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
greenidentity

Reply 8 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-01-11 08:37:05 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
I am moving to New Orleans on March 1st! So help me god if we do not drink a bottle of vodka together I will hate you forever.

Im there March 16th for like 4 days...
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 9 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-15-11 05:59:42 PM)

I'm going to be in NOLA March 25th to the 27th for a wedding on the 26th!

Clearly this was destined.
greenidentity

Reply 10 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-16-11 08:53:43 AM)

Annnnnd QOTSA is playing March 18th there by pure coincidence. Life is rad.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 11 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-27-11 06:03:25 PM)

I've been to New Orleans once, and here are my recommendations:

1) You must do the Bourbon street thing once, but it's really pretty gross and if you ever go there during the day you'll see exactly what I mean.

2) You owe it to yourself to get a little off the beaten path -- there are some awesome music venues/bars on Frenchman St. e: go here too

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-spotted-cat-music-club-new-orleans

3) Garden District is good for a nice afternoon walk -- cool architecture and very pretty.

The food is really the best part and you need to go here. The lines get incredibly long but it's worth it (breakfast).

http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 12 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-08-11 08:34:52 AM)

After being here for a few days I can honestly say that I am in love with this city. I live in a shithole apartment very close to the French Quarter and Armstrong Park. Bourbon Street s indeed disgusting, but its also a lot of fun!

My floor is open to any INTLer that needs a place to crash, but be warned that I literally have nothing and I am waiting on an insurance check. I have two camping chairs and a table for furniture. I sleep on a blowup mattress.
Buy me a drink. Buy me a drink. I'm better than you are but not as good as I think.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 13 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-08-11 09:13:06 AM)

Awesome; Sounds like an adventure. I hope the change is good for you. You needed something.
greenidentity

Reply 14 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-12-11 12:11:34 PM)

For who, me or Nikolati?

I'm arriving on Wednesday, leaving Monday. I do have a friend there who I will be spending time with, but if you wanna gimme your number Nikolati that's cool. I will be staying at Prytania Park.

I am kinda of wondering if I will want to go home after all this...or I could completely hate it!!
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 15 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-13-11 07:19:32 PM)

Oh, I highly doubt you'll hate it. Even I liked New Orleans.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 16 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-16-11 08:44:04 PM)

Quote:
For who, me or Nikolati?

Sorry, for Nick. i'm a serial-killer :) New Orleans is really a great city.

Note: I might be biased. New Orleans does three things well and two of them are some of my favorite things (Food and Jazz). The third (racism) sucks hard but no place is perfect.
greenidentity

Reply 17 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-19-11 09:50:12 PM)

This is my 4th night here. So far I have:

-Went to the aquarium
-Rode the streetcar Uptown and walked around a bit
-Walked all around the riverfront area
-Partied in lots of bars in the French Quarter, more specifically around Tolouse/Bourbon/Royal
-Went to the French Market
-Ate beignets, red beans and rice, po boys and had chicory coffee.

For right now, I am actually surprised with how many more cons are stacking up in my mind than pros. However, the person I came here to visit turned out to be kind of a major jerk and is impossible to have fun with. For example:

Me - "I wonder if the restaurant has a good wine selection?"
Him - "Who cares."

Me - "Today I'm going to the aquarium."
Him - "How about this: we go to Uptown first and then (insert other thing he wants to do here) and then you go to the aquarium after all that."

I think I've spent a quarter of my time waiting for streetcars also.

Tomorrow is my last full day and night here, and I would really like to go to the art museum, see cemetaries and do the Strange True Tour, but at this point my feet/ankles/thighs hurt so majorly bad I don't even know if I can.

The food has been mediocore, with just a few things that were pretty good. And for the most part, the service has been horribly slow almost everywhere.

I don't intend to be a complainer or a jerk here, but overall just not having the greatest time ever. After I get home, maybe my viewpoint of it all will change/ I hope it does.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 18 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-19-11 10:07:35 PM)

That sucks GI! MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS I'm sorry you're not having a great time. I really do suggest the art museum--I know it's a lot of walking but there are quite a few places to sit, especially in the sculpture garden. Would your friend be able to drive you there and drop you off or would you have to take public transportation?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 19 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-20-11 10:26:07 PM)

For me the beauty of the city has been the amazing amount of culture. I can drive a mile or two and not see a McDonalds or Walmart. I am surrounded by lots of blacks, mexicans, french, white, and thai people. Tonight I had a free dinner at a Hare Krishna temple and scavenged the city for a mirror (which I ended up finding in a dumpster) I am going to decorate and put in my bathroom. Last Sunday I went to a unitarian universalist church, and I get my bike fixed at a community run library and bike shop. Being creative enough here means you can just create a job for yourself and do it. It is a city of self indulgence where creativity is championed and people that are scared to get dirty lose their mind.

I have an entire apartment full of scavenged stuff, and I have been here for about 13 days.

If you want to meet up with me tomorrow Katii I will be at the art museum after a job interview. I assume you mean the art museum in City Park? There are a few different ones down town. If you hit city park you can see the sculpture and botanical garden as well.

I have met more interesting people here in 12 days than I have in my entire life. Everyone has a story and everyone is outgoing if you happen to have a minute to stop and talk.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 20 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-20-11 10:36:17 PM)

If you ever see this guy busking on Bourbon or Royal (he usually plays a fiddle), you should stop and say hi. His name is Lyle and he's a super nice guy and a lot of fun to be around.
greenidentity

Reply 21 of 28 (Originally posted on: 03-21-11 11:04:35 PM)

I am finally home. To be honest, I would rate this as one of my least favorite vacations. I mean no offense at all to the locals or anyone who likes it. Unfortunately, my trip was darkened by the company I was forced to keep. New Orleans definitely is dirty, and smelly, which I admit bothered me a little. And the mentality there is so drastically different from where I'm from, or anywhere I've travelled. It's kind of an "I don't care/ wherever the wind takes me" which is cool in a way, but can sometimes be off-putting too.

Overall, I'm glad I went and definitely will go back. One of the things I liked the best about the city is there's truly something for EVERYONE. You can find weird shit to do, you can find nice little quiet stuff to do...you can do anything. I think I just need to keep better company next time I go. That and the art museum. I didn't make it to the sculpture garden, but I really liked the museum.

Taking the streetcars was sometimes a bitch. New Orleans is not for pussies.

I probably saw Lyle once or twice, but there was so much going on I may have overlooked him.

Nikolati, I am sorry we couldn't meet up. Next time though, for sure. :-)
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
This reply was last edited on 03-21-11 11:16:50 PM by greenidentity.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 22 of 28 (Originally posted on: 04-09-11 12:22:38 PM)

Arnok hung out with me Katii. Why joo no wub me? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
greenidentity

Reply 23 of 28 (Originally posted on: 04-10-11 12:29:50 PM)

Aw, no offense meant! It just wasn't a good trip for me. What did you guys do??
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 24 of 28 (Originally posted on: 04-11-11 11:05:25 AM)

Not much. We sat on a bench and talked for awhile and shot the shit. I told him how to get the New Orleans experience in a day i'm a serial-killer :).
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3328 | Total Posts: 28 ]