Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Minecraft > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5719 | Total Posts: 56 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
(Originally posted on: 11-01-10 05:53:43 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So... anyone play this?
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 1 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-01-10 10:51:47 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You could say that.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-01-10 11:42:57 PM)

hahaha shadowe that was so lame

I'm confused how this game is somehow popular. It looks like wolfenstein 3d for shitsake. definately basing my opinion on google image searching tho
Shadowe

Reply 3 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-03-10 02:55:01 PM)

The graphics are pretty ugly even with a high-res texture pack, probably a side-effect of the whole thing being made in Java and the design of the world being made of ~1 meter cubes.

The addiction comes from the fact that you're basically dumped into a world with a procedurally generate landscape (complete with various biomes) thats 8x the size of earth's surface and every night you get attacked by horrible monsters. Oh yeah and you can build fking anything you want.

Want a mining pick? Punch a tree to get a log, craft it into wood, make a workbench, use the workbench to craft the wood into sticks, then put the sticks in the shape of a mining pick to make one. Mine out some rock, repeat but replace the wood head with a stone head. Mine some surface charcoal, use that and sticks to make torches, go cave-diving to find iron, mine it out, use stone to make a furnace and coal or wood or lava to power it, then smelt the iron and make an iron pick. Now go mining for diamonds to make even better shit. And you can do this with just about anything.

All the while you'll also be making minecarts and tracks, fortifications, weapons, armor, build yourself a moat (water OR lava), and even get some obsidian and make a portal to hell to travel 16 realworld squares for every 1 in hell.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-03-10 07:49:24 PM)

I play it when I can.

Post pics!

I left my home behind and traveled west to explore and build a new home (though my old one isn't very far away). Beyond that tower in the distance is as far as I explored, as there is an ocean on the other side.
Shadowe

Reply 5 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-03-10 08:23:06 PM)

I've been generating map after map since the halloween update trying to get the mountain-over-plains design I really like but apparently worldgen doesnt do that kind of silliness anymore.

No, instead I get floating mountains, some with waterfalls, and surface lavafalls:

Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-03-10 08:52:55 PM)

So are you able to meet up and visit each other's structures in this world, or work in the same world together if you choose?
how is this for a quote
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 7 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-03-10 09:37:45 PM)

If it's multiplayer.

I play occasionally but never get past the first few nights. I get killed by a creeper and then give up.
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-03-10 09:47:57 PM)

I don't really know how to do multiplayer. It seems fun but once they start talking about servers and whatnot I get confused.

FA if all you want to do is build, you can put it on peaceful mode and just play legos. I do that a lot of the time.

Some new pics of my house. Now complete with party deck. In the back of the first pic you can see my mine-hole. Under the glass is a straight drop (with stairs going around) to the bottom of the world, which has a nice little pool so you can jump all the way down. Next to it is a single block shaft with a ladder so you can climb back up without using the stairs.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Reply 9 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-04-10 05:06:33 PM)

Pic of my unfinished home/pagoda.

Inside of my house.

Pic of my starter home.

My own personal Parthenon and greenhouse.

The start of a new Greco/Roman city

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-04-10 06:09:52 PM)

Feckin awesome. Makes my party deck look like a poop deck.

Btw you can take screenshots by pressing F1 and F2 at the same time and it saves the file into users/(your username)/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft/screenshots. If such a folder doesn't already exist in your .minecraft folder, make it yourself and it will start saving your screenshots in there.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 11 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-04-10 06:30:46 PM)

On a sad note I upgraded my memory from the (2) existing 1 GB chips to (3) 1 GB and (1) 2 GB for a total of 5 GB RAM but apparently that doesn't work. So I'm capped at 3 GB and my computer crashes on normal view. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Also, you can spruce up your party deck with fences around the perimeter and a jacuzzi.

D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-04-10 10:15:26 PM)

It appears i've built my new home in a mob spawning capital. I should have figured something was up when I was building my house and there was constantly an assload of animals all around bleating and pushing me over to the point of ridiculousness. Now that my house is complete (enough) i've turned the difficulty up from peaceful and at night there is instantly absurd amounts of monsters everywhere. I've started a project of lighting up the surrounding area but they keep coming. May not stay in this home for too long before continuing my travels.

I built that jacuzzi btw, looks good! Why are the water currents in this game so strong?
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 13 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-05-10 01:26:26 AM)

Peaceful mode, wtf. I did not notice this before. Must investigate.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 14 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-05-10 12:39:43 PM)

Quote:
On a sad note I upgraded my memory from the (2) existing 1 GB chips to (3) 1 GB and (1) 2 GB for a total of 5 GB RAM but apparently that doesn't work. So I'm capped at 3 GB and my computer crashes on normal view.

Not sure about the crashing but if you use a 32bit os then your os can't handle more than about 3.5 gb or RAM.

Also, you may want to confirm that your system board can handle that configuration. It's less prevalent nowadays, but motherboards used to only allow a pretty strict subset of RAM configuratios.

It may be that your video card is overheating when it crashes (though unlikely with this game I guess). Check the cpu temp in the BIOS after it happens and see if it's too hot. More than likely you just need to verify that your RAM config is legit and maybe update your video driver/directx.
Shadowe

Reply 15 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-05-10 02:36:37 PM)

Couple notes on the ram: 32bit operating systems see up to 4gb of ram, but all the ram on your videocard gets subtracted from your system ram so thats why you see a lot of people with odd 3.something gigabyte numbers. Also when you mix different sticks like that you lose running your ram in dual channel mode which really makes a difference, its better to have 2gb dual channel than 3gb single.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

Reply 16 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-05-10 03:13:21 PM)

Quoted from Jack London:
Quote:
On a sad note I upgraded my memory from the (2) existing 1 GB chips to (3) 1 GB and (1) 2 GB for a total of 5 GB RAM but apparently that doesn't work. So I'm capped at 3 GB and my computer crashes on normal view.

Not sure about the crashing but if you use a 32bit os then your os can't handle more than about 3.5 gb or RAM.

Also, you may want to confirm that your system board can handle that configuration. It's less prevalent nowadays, but motherboards used to only allow a pretty strict subset of RAM configuratios.

It may be that your video card is overheating when it crashes (though unlikely with this game I guess). Check the cpu temp in the BIOS after it happens and see if it's too hot. More than likely you just need to verify that your RAM config is legit and maybe update your video driver/directx.
Nuts... I have microsoft windows xp professional 5.1, build 2600. I did some research and couldn't find anything that said I was 32bit but that seems to be the case.

D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-05-10 06:32:48 PM)

I don't think Windwos did 64 bit until windows 7. I could be way wrong, but I never heard of it until then.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 18 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-05-10 07:43:51 PM)

You're wrong. However, XP 64 was really really terrible and Vista wasn't really around that long so I can see why you would think that.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 19 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-09-10 04:53:33 AM)

Minecraft Journal (with peaceful mode on to start)

Day 1,

I've awoken on a beach. I don't know how I got here, or who I am. Directly across from me is an island. It looks promising. I swim out and find trees. I'm filled with the irrational desire to knock them down with my fists. I succeed. What power I have...

There's a large hole in the middle of the island, leading down into a sprawling cavern system. Incredible. It goes on and on. I am again filled with the irrational desire to punch things. I punch apart some stone and build myself a rudimentary stone mining pick, without even thinking. I continue mining. All is peaceful.

Day 2,

I've mined an incredible amount of stone, coal and even some iron. Somehow my mind is filled with recipes and I begin constructing armor, workbenches, furnaces, torches, doors. I soon begin building a large fort on the island. Why, I don't know. All there is around here are oddly docile sheep, cows and pigs. They hop around gleefully, bumping into me while I try to work. Must finish my fort...

Day 3,

I took a break and headed over to a bit of the mainland. There's a hill there covered in trees, and I need more wood. This time I chop down the trees with an axe. Strangely the trees do not fall when I chop them. The upper portion floats tantalizingly out of reach. Confused and upset by this unnatural behavior, I set fire to the slightly out of reach foliage. A massive conflagration ensues.

The fire spreads to a nearby forest. My god, what have I done? I flee back to my half-finished fort.

Day 4,

I head back to the scene of the forest fire. Bits of wood still float in the air, forever burning. What is this magical place? The ground is now bare and covered with floating ham steaks and oddly unburnt cow skins. How...? I gather the mysterious resources. I excavate myself a small cave and reinforce the entrance with stone. Never know when I might need to get out of the weather. Except...the weather never seems to change here.

Day 5,

I have finally finished my fort. It is impregnable.

The interior is stark and bare, with no rooms except for in the towers. When I tire I curl up in a corner of a tower and sleep on the grass. Perhaps I should build living quarters below ground. Meh, tomorrow.

Day 6,

Something's changed. I heard growling in the night. I thought it was a nightmare...but it wasn't.

The air feels different. An ill wind blows. I ventured forth from my fortress to find myself assaulted by a hideous green monster. I beat it back with my sword and ran for my life. Before I got two steps the thing exploded. I was thrown clear and escaped relatively unscathed. What in the nine hells was that thing? It just...creeped up on me. As I gathered myself after the confrontation I was attacked again, this time by a massive black spider. I dispatched it easily, and it disappeared in a puff of white smoke, leaving behind a piece of string. What the hell? This place isn't safe.

I plan on leaving soon and heading for the mountains. Perhaps it will be safer there. Perhaps not.
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-09-10 06:44:29 AM)

Nice work FA

The other day as I was storing away some of my mined goodies I heard the most awful sound in the world. I take a moment to consider what it could be - having no idea I just went outside to check if anything was wrong.

Something was horribly wrong, my entire party deck was on fire. It took me a while to figure out how that was possible, but I think I figured it out.. I had a small lava pit outside (pretty much under my stone house) which only had a 1x2 opening so that I could toss gravel and other useless things into to incinerate it. Well, I believe that horrible shriek was a chicken jumping into my lava pit. I guess it then jumped out and set my party deck on fire.

I rebuilt it though, better than before.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 21 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-10-10 03:32:35 AM)

Those ambient cave sounds are fucking evil.

Just mining away, listening for zombies/skeletons when out of nowhere

*ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR*

*shits pants*
Shadowe

Reply 22 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-10-10 10:52:24 AM)

I opened up a bigass cave and saw a bunch of red eyes turn to face me right as that damn sound played.

Rumor is that those cave sounds are basically the first half of the megabeasts feature and that the end results will best be described as "Forgotten horrors".
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 23 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-11-10 09:05:39 PM)

Anybody been to the nether yet? I found a shit-ton of obsidian way down deep (and created a bunch more) but I can't find any fucking diamond to make a pick to mine it.

Anyways, update. I made it to the mountain.

Beyond these mountains lay only desert!

I built myself a makeshift cabin. First floor is a small little workspace, upstairs is kinda like a kitchen. Counters, sink, bench. Basement is where it's at. Fireplace, bed, chair, pool, and a stairway carved out of the center of the mountain leading all the way down to a cave that comes out on the beach by my bridge.

D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 56 (Originally posted on: 11-11-10 09:39:37 PM)

You gots to dig out that dirt man. Can't be sleeping next to worms.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5719 | Total Posts: 56 ]