Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > wikileaks > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 6083 | Total Posts: 85 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-26-10 10:39:12 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

need a "death wish" tag

wikileaks to release Chinese; Russian documents

Quote:
Whistleblower website WikiLeaks, which has published hundreds of U.S. war logs, is preparing to release secret files from Russia and China, a Russian newspaper said on Tuesday.
"Russians are going to find out a lot of interesting facts about their country," WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson told Kommersant.
The main goal of the project was the "despotic regimes in China, Russia and Central Eurasia," WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange wrote to potential investors when he launched the website in 2006.
WikiLeaks published some 400,000 secret U.S. military files revealing the truth about the conflict in Iraq. The documents suggest U.S. forces turned a blind eye to evidence of torture by the Iraqi authorities. Other files reveal that the number of civilian casualties was far greater than Washington admitted.
General George Casey, who was in charge of U.S. forces in Iraq from 2004 to 2007, rebutted the allegations of torture.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20101026/161087816.html

So as you all should know by now this website wikileaks has existed for some years. They release classified government documents, mostly from the US. The US has bitched very loudly about it but hasn't really done much of anything (that we know about) to stop wikileaks or its somewhat megalomaniac founder, Julian Assange. Now they're claiming to have some documents from China and Russia, governments that we know have fewer problems with being implicated in unsavory things like high-profile assassinations.

What makes this even more spy-movie like is that wikileaks recently posted a huge encrypted file called basically "insurance.zip" or whatever. It's apparently understood that the encryption key will be released if something happens to Assange and/or wikileaks.

What do you guys think of Wikileaks?
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 10:49:36 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Yeah I'm pretty sure Assange is about to have a death warrant on his head for this. He's a character of questionable morals and maybe Wikileaks is trying to do a good thing here, but it seems like whistleblowing the governments of very powerful nations isn't the best way to go. I think that in part Assange just wants more attention, which is exactly what he's getting.
Nickolati: i would have gone to the doctor, because I am pussy trapped in a lumberjack's body
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 2 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 10:54:43 AM)

Don't worry, he'll write a tell all book, make millions, and live happily ever after...

...right
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 3 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 11:09:50 AM)

They already made up these fake rape charges for him in Sweden.
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 11:10:50 AM)

The idea of maintaining regular checks of illegal acts performed and sanctioned by government and military officials is great. It's useless if it's used sensationally in the same way a youtube video goes viral or some other flash in the pan makes headlines. If no legal action is taken with the available evidence, it's just attention and hype.
how is this for a quote
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 5 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 11:38:08 AM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
The idea of maintaining regular checks of illegal acts performed and sanctioned by government and military officials is great. It's useless if it's used sensationally in the same way a youtube video goes viral or some other flash in the pan makes headlines. If no legal action is taken with the available evidence, it's just attention and hype.
If no action is taken with the available evidence, that emphasizes how pathetically passive and spineless we are as a people. Bringing attention to illegal actions, whether or not it results in prosecution or legal actions against those involved, can hardly be dismissed as something as trivial as a viral video.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 6 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 11:39:13 AM)

Honestly I don't see any other way this could be done, so I don't care if that Wikileaks guy is in it for the fame or whatever, it needs to be done.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 7 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 11:42:46 AM)

Furthermore, who the fuck cares if he wants fame or not?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 8 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 12:08:55 PM)

I think Wikileaks does a good thing in general. I wish they would redact some of that shit though. I feel really bad for people who had their names leaked.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 9 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 01:29:16 PM)

If you've done something terrible, do you deserve t...never mind. While writing this I remembered the whole innocent until proven guilty thing.
-Amphy
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 10 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 01:42:58 PM)

It isn't even the people that do terrible stuff that I'm worried about. It's like interpreters and stuff. I mean, that's objectively a really shitty thing to do.

Wikileaks just basically data dumps without filter so there's a lot of mundane stuff with details that should probably be redacted to protect innocent people.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 03:06:47 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
If no action is taken with the available evidence, that emphasizes how pathetically passive and spineless we are as a people. Bringing attention to illegal actions, whether or not it results in prosecution or legal actions against those involved, can hardly be dismissed as something as trivial as a viral video.

While I do see your point (I am not dismissing any of this as insignificant by any means, and I appreciate that it gets people to question and think about these issues), it was only months ago that the footage from the helicopters that garnered so much attention was only glanced over, and then disappeared, and to me, while I recognized the severity of the content, the general response from people around me was more, "Have you seen this?" "Yeah, it's awful." "Yeah." than anything else.

Even when I look at Canada, and the Alex Hundert story that's going on, I don't know what to do to help, and I want to. People can talk about it forever, but someone with legal power needs to take action, or all the attention is virtually worthless (as the guilty and the victims are not given justice, not that people aren't thinking about it).

I don't know if I'm articulating myself clearly here, but I'm hoping to convey that I don't say this from a defeated perspective, or from one that considers the content of the videos or documents to be equivalent to something trivial.
how is this for a quote
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 12 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 03:52:31 PM)

Hasty, I get you loud and clear.

I think a lot of people are in a similar position as you asking themselves questions like "What can I possibly do to make a difference?"

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things that would make a huge difference if everyone practiced them universally.

Use less. The only things you actually need to survive are food, water, shelter, and clothing. Everything else is simply icing on the cake.

Learn to be as self sufficient as possible. Can you craft something from raw material? If the shit hit the fan, would you be able to fend for yourself in a post apocalyptic environment? That sounds cheesy, but its possible.

Educate yourself as much as possible. Learn as much as you can about other cultures and why they view the world the way they do.

Stop watching television, especially the news. I am not talking about shows like Boardwalk Empire or Fringe. Specifically reality TV, News, and commercials. It is brainwashing you whether you realize it or not. I know for a fact that my buying habits changed once I cut it out. Television warps our perspective. Do you know why children will always give you an honest answer? They haven't been exposed to TV enough to develop a bias.

Stop supporting large corporations in any way possible. Put your money into the local economy by buying local food that is in season. This is not only healthier, but it supports your neighborhood and community.

Walk or ride a bike when possible. Use as little fossil fuel as you possibly can.

Greed and the desire to maintain the current standard of living is what drives most of the conflicts on the planet. By minimizing your own carbon footprint, you are doing the earth a favor and doing your part to take money and power out of the hands of huge oligarchical businesses.
Nickguevera: You aren't friendzoned
animatedcardigan: I bought him a minipumpkin as a gift on Thursday.
animatedcardigan: He gave me a minigourd
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 13 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 04:24:37 PM)

to be clear, I don't give a shit what Assange wants to get out of this. What he's doing is right and just and definitely needed.

it's interesting to think that because of the unknown contents of insurance.zip, the US has some kind of incentive to keep Assange alive & protect him against Russian and Chinese attacks... it's a weird situation
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 04:29:49 PM)

I wonder if the NSA has cracked it yet.
-Amphy
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 15 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 04:35:27 PM)

it's pretty impossible to crack I think
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 16 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 04:55:28 PM)

I wouldn't say impossible but with encryption in the state it's in, it would be pretty hard. The thing is, the US government doesn't really have excellent cyber people. I would expect the Chinese government to be able to hack this faster than the US government.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 17 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 05:11:17 PM)

The best computer people in the world don't work for corporations. They more than likely live in their parent's basement and survive on pizza rolls.

What are the odds that insurance.zip is a big hoax?
Nickguevera: You aren't friendzoned
animatedcardigan: I bought him a minipumpkin as a gift on Thursday.
animatedcardigan: He gave me a minigourd
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 18 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 06:16:24 PM)

If this is anything like the movies, my bet is insurance.zip is actually an encrypted version of the nursery rhyme his mother sang him before she was tragically killed by government agents.

So how does this guy get his info? I assume some sort of hacking into government database but isn't that illegal?
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 19 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-26-10 06:55:28 PM)

It's WikiLeaks, as in Wiki. People post the leaks to the site.

The Afghanistan files were stolen from a computer by a soldier in Iraq, who stupidly used the username BradAss87. There are only so many soldiers named Brad born in 1987 in Iraq.
-Amphy
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 20 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-27-10 01:47:15 AM)

What happened to him? Was he simply kicked out of the army, or did he face more serious consequences?
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 21 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-27-10 04:43:35 AM)

Pretty sure he's in federal prison.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 22 of 85 (Originally posted on: 10-27-10 10:15:42 AM)

He admitted it too I'm pretty sure so I don't think we need to tiptoe around it.

From what I remember, he used the brilliant hacking technique of pretending to listen to a Lady Gaga CD or something.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 85 (Originally posted on: 11-29-10 02:41:43 AM)

ughf i love wikileaks
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 85 (Originally posted on: 11-29-10 02:58:10 AM)

intel b0ner:

http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/index.html
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6083 | Total Posts: 85 ]