Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Glenn Beck "reclaims the civil rights movement." > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3682 | Total Posts: 68 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 08-28-10 07:58:52 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So Glenn Beck has been invoking the spirit and ideas of Dr. Martin Luther King recently. Although he claims that this has nothing to do with the upcoming midterm elections, he is striving to win over black America.

Here are some quotes from Beck to set the mood.

"We are on the right side of history. We are on the side of individual freedoms and liberties and damn it, we will reclaim the civil rights moment. We will take that movement because we were the people that did it in the first place."

"As we create history together, your children will be able to say, 'I remember. I was there.' As we -- as we pick up Martin Luther King's dream that has been distorted and lost, and we say 'we bought it when he first said it. It's time to restore and to finish it. Restoring honor: 8-28."

"I have to tell you something: I believe in divine providence. I believe there's a reason. Because whites don't own the founding fathers. Whites don't own Abraham Lincoln. Blacks don't own Martin Luther King."

Here we have an exchange between Al Sharpton and Glenn Beck...

"King's "dream" was "not to put one black family in the White House. The dream was to make everything equal in everybody's house." - Sharpton

"That is not the dream. That is a perversion of the dream. We are the people of the civil rights movement. We are the ones that must stand for civil and equal rights. Equal rights. Justice. Equal justice. Not special justice, not social justice, but equal justice. We are the inheritors and the protectors of the civil rights movement. They are perverting it." - Beck in response to the above Sharpton quote.

This made me think about quite a few things...

If Martin Luther King was resurrected tomorrow, what would he think about the current state of African Americans?

Do you think what Glenn Beck is doing is offensive? Personally, I think it's a double edged sword. While he is right by saying that white people need to step it so we can finally move past it once and for all, I think he is going about it the wrong way. He has been extremely derogatory towards established black civil rights leaders by implying that "their struggle is meaningless because blacks aren't the ones that need to change." I think he seriously believes that he is going to undo 200 years of hatred and animosity with one rally.

I don't really think he realizes how offended some people are going to be if he continues to trivialize the plight of the civil rights movement's veterans.

In response to this rally, Al Sharpton has organized his own rally one hour later than Glenn Beck's at the site of the future Martin Luther King monument in Washington. Unlike Beck, Sharpton will have Martin Luther King III standing by in support. Fear not though, for Glenn Beck has a secret weapon of his own - Sarah Palin.

My only hope - this doesn't erupt into violence and rioting. Glenn Beck's crowd of rabid rifle toting bible thumpers vs. pissed off angry black people. Can you imagine a fucking riot on the anniversary of the "I Have a Dream" between two groups arguing for the same thing. Think about that for a minute...

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!!!

If this erupts into violence, it will taint the day forever. People are so fucking stupid.

I hope no one gets shot.

The next president of the United States of America.
This reply was last edited on 08-28-10 08:30:19 AM by Nickolati.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 08:21:01 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't know how he can claim to be for individual freedoms and liberties when he wants the government to tell people who they can and can't marry, wants people in jail for owning certain plants, and supports the ability of the (former) president to declare war without the approval of congress.
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 08:46:38 AM)

In a way this is appropriate for him because I honestly think of Glenn Beck's show like I would a minstrel show. He's painted all pretty and spouting nonesense designed to hold certain people above others.

As for MLK, he would probably side with the conservatives on gay marriage, unfortunately. Remember kids: California's Prop 8 was passed on the same ballot that elected Obama president.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 3 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 08:56:05 AM)

Quoted from Jack London:
In a way this is appropriate for him because I honestly think of Glenn Beck's show like I would a minstrel show. He's painted all pretty and spouting nonesense designed to hold certain people above others.

As for MLK, he would probably side with the conservatives on gay marriage, unfortunately. Remember kids: California's Prop 8 was passed on the same ballot that elected Obama president.

You are correct about Prop 8, however I am not sure about MLK being opposed to gay marriage. He was a champion of the underdog and persecuted - he might have rallied for them out of principle alone. They are a demographic that causes absolutely no harm to anyone, and it was still a taboo subject in his day. What do you base him being opposed to it on? He was a religious man, but all religious people don't have problems with homosexuality.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 4 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 09:19:31 AM)

Basically because I've seen a lot of pictures of black people with signs that are against gay marriage, with clever captions about the irony of the situation.
-Amphy
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 5 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 09:30:11 AM)

Quoted from #2 Stunna:
Basically because I've seen a lot of pictures of black people with signs that are against gay marriage, with clever captions about the irony of the situation.

Using that logic, this is every single white person.

Clearly not the case, eh?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 6 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 09:51:22 AM)

Quoted from Dat Ass:
Quoted from #2 Stunna:

Using that logic, this is every single white person.

Clearly not the case, eh?

Wait, I was replying to Dr. Nick and you responded to my response him. I would agree that just about everyone that falls under the conservative agenda probably feels the same way about gay marriage. Those people hate anything that doesn't reaffirm a 1950s sense of America.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 7 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 10:21:38 AM)

Quoted from Dat Ass:
Quoted from Jack London:

You are correct about Prop 8, however I am not sure about MLK being opposed to gay marriage. He was a champion of the underdog and persecuted - he might have rallied for them out of principle alone. They are a demographic that causes absolutely no harm to anyone, and it was still a taboo subject in his day. What do you base him being opposed to it on? He was a religious man, but all religious people don't have problems with homosexuality.

He wasn't just a religious man; he was a baptist minister. I honestly have no idea what he would think about gay marriage but that's what I was basing it on.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 8 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 10:42:11 AM)

After reading some more about it on google news, the only black people at Beck's camp are there protesting.

Also, EMTs have had to remove dozens of people that are falling out due to heat strokes and diabetic attacks.

Also, if you happen to be among the crowd, you can purchase your very own black and white "Reclaim the Dream" shirt for only $10!
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 01:25:17 PM)

glenn beck is sort of handsome

you know, for a fat guy
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 10 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 01:45:38 PM)

reclaiming the pint of ben and jerrys
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 11 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 01:49:19 PM)

i can't believe people actually care what comes out of this guys mouth.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 01:50:09 PM)

glenn beck has a dream

of breakfast at denny's
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 13 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 05:43:52 PM)

Quoted from #2 Stunna:
I don't know how he can claim to be for individual freedoms and liberties when he wants the government to tell people who they can and can't marry

And what they can and can't read!
Quote:
A gay-themed book, which was pulled from a local high school's library after a resident objected to its content, has also been pulled from Burlington County's library system.

The book was pulled from the county library and from the library at Rancocas Valley Regional High School in Mount Holly after objections from Beverly Marinelli, a Lumberton woman and a member of the 9/12 Project, a conservative group founded by Fox News Channel pundit Glenn Beck.

The county system's decision to remove "Revolutionary Voices," an anthology of first-person works by gay youths, was made quietly in the spring. But it's now stirring an online furor with the release of e-mails on the issue by the county's library director, Gail Sweet.

Because it's only freedom of speech if you agree with hyperconservatives.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-28-10 08:08:06 PM)

Reminds me of when that school district pulled every dictionary in the county because some kid looked up something related to sex and his mother complained. If they do that, they should ban the bible too, what with its talk of massive amounts of semen.
-Amphy
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 15 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 02:09:05 AM)

My feeling about this can be summed up by Tim Heidecker's tweets during the event.

Quote:
Just had a funnel cake. Now at the castrating tent. It is hot, busy and slippery. #restoringhonor

https://twitter.com/timheidecker
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 16 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 04:53:34 AM)

Quoted from yotube.ca:
Quoted from #2 Stunna:
I don't know how he can claim to be for individual freedoms and liberties when he wants the government to tell people who they can and can't marry

And what they can and can't read!
Quote:
A gay-themed book, which was pulled from a local high school's library after a resident objected to its content, has also been pulled from Burlington County's library system.

The book was pulled from the county library and from the library at Rancocas Valley Regional High School in Mount Holly after objections from Beverly Marinelli, a Lumberton woman and a member of the 9/12 Project, a conservative group founded by Fox News Channel pundit Glenn Beck.

The county system's decision to remove "Revolutionary Voices," an anthology of first-person works by gay youths, was made quietly in the spring. But it's now stirring an online furor with the release of e-mails on the issue by the county's library director, Gail Sweet.

Because it's only freedom of speech if you agree with hyperconservatives.

Exposing children to homosexual literature is basically brainwashing them to accept homosexuality. It's social engineering.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 17 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 07:16:30 AM)

you can't really make that claim without also making the claim that exposing them to heterosexual literature brainwashes them to accept heterosexuality, which no one would ever say because it's totally absurd
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 18 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 09:22:58 AM)

Quote:
Exposing children to homosexual literature is basically brainwashing them to accept homosexuality. It's social engineering.

Assuming you don't mean "become homosexuals" when you say "accept homosexuality," then yes you're basically right. Schools do this a lot, they have their students read things from different perspectives so that they can understand certain things better and become accepting of things they may have had a resistance to at first. This is why we all read so many books about black people growing up.

Unless your argument is that by pushing these types of books into the curriculum pushes out other more important books (which is certainly possible, my school definitely overdid it), i'm not sure many people will argue that exposing students to more diverse viewpoints is a bad thing.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 19 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 09:56:12 AM)

He's doing his appeal to prejudice thing again. It works for a while until you realize you don't actually hate the thing he's saying will happen. Like during his "you don't want to live next to fucking Mexicans, do you?" phase.
-Amphy
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 20 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 10:02:22 AM)

Exposing children to Euclidean geometry is basically brainwashing them to accept Euclid.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 21 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 11:10:46 AM)

Quoted from #1 Stunna:
you can't really make that claim without also making the claim that exposing them to heterosexual literature brainwashes them to accept heterosexuality, which no one would ever say because it's totally absurd

Heterosexuality doesn't destroy the genetic pass-down of a civilization.

Homosexuality does. It's really as simple as that.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 22 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 11:16:01 AM)

If that's your hypothesis, are you also against those who consciously abstain from having children?
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 23 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 12:50:09 PM)

condoms destroys the genetic pass-down of civilization.

trojan and durex are trying to end humanity!

support human beings, raw-dog a bitch!
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 24 of 68 (Originally posted on: 08-29-10 12:57:54 PM)

Teaching kids that gay people exist doesn't make more kids gay.
-Amphy
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3682 | Total Posts: 68 ]