Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Drunken Voyageur > Fuck Yeah > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 11234 | Total Posts: 72 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
(Originally posted on: 08-11-10 08:03:16 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

We all know I work at a library, right? Part time clerk, checking stuff in and out. It's fun and it's money but it's not a lot of money and it's not a lot of mental stimulation. An AV/Reader's Advisory position recently opened up and I decided to apply for it. It's 30 hours a week, which is the minimum required by the library to offer full benefits, mainly including health insurance. I had an interview for the position 9:30 this morning and by the time I returned at 4pm to actually work, I was asked to see the head of AV, who announced that I had been chosen for the job! It's a very exciting opportunity, a lot more responsibility, etc. and it's also nearly twice the money I make now. Still not a lot by any stretch of the mind, but it's a fair amount.

I briefly considered moving out of my parents' house, but the cost of living in my town has bumped up a bit and I can't afford rent on my own, and I don't really want to live with a roommate at the moment. (It also allows me to stay close to my aging horse, who is needing more and more care as time moves on.) What I really want to do with the extra money is save it and take a trip. I've only been to Great Britain and Ireland--Ireland twice--and I would love to go somewhere amazing and fantastic.

So recommend me places! I'm open to anywhere in Europe. No Asia, no Africa, no South America. Sorry, I'm picky/white and I don't care to visit those places, except maybe Moscow and even then it's technically in Europe. I love art and would be interest in anywhere with a lot of art, but I like to eat too so a place with good food is relatively essential.

Are there cities you think would be perfect for ol' Amph? Currently at the top of my list are Paris and Rome, because they've always been the topic of my daydreams. I am also kicking around the idea of going to Venice for the Biennale, which is from June to November of 2011.

Help.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-11-10 08:50:14 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

FUCK YEAH
This reply was last edited on 08-12-10 07:46:49 AM by D.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 2 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 06:48:28 AM)

You go girl!

I know you said no Asia, but would you consider Israel?
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 3 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 10:13:37 AM)

thx guys i'm a serial-killer :)

I'll backstep from blanking out Asia and Africa, because I'd consider going to Egypt, Israel and Turkey.

poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 11:27:23 AM)

I hear Egypt is really incredible, especially if you like museums.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 5 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 12:20:27 PM)

Israel was conquered by pretty much every important empire in Western history (Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Caliphate, Crusaders, Ottomans, British), so it has a lot of interesting stuff to see.
-Amphy
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 6 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 01:06:10 PM)

You should rank things you're interested in doing, like:

history museums
art museums / art culture
music
clubs / bars
hiking
beaches
food

If you ranked those in order of importance to you, it'd be easier to suggest places
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 7 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 06:15:26 PM)

Quoted from #1 Stunna:
You should rank things you're interested in doing, like:

history museums
music
clubs / bars
hiking
beaches
food

If you ranked those in order of importance to you, it'd be easier to suggest places

Okay, here's my ranked list.

food
architectural sites (eg. the Eiffel Tower, Gaza pyramids, Statue of Liberty, blah blah--added this one)
history museums
beaches
music
hiking
clubs / bars (literally this could actually be removed from the list since I'm not a partier)
Quoted from thats hype:
I hear Egypt is really incredible, especially if you like museums.

I've heard that too, but I worry about the cost of a flight to Egypt. That and the fact that it's a huge country, but I guess that's not actually a bad thing. Also, would I have to wear a headscarf in Egypt? I'm not sure how I feel going a place with uniform dress requirements for women, I'd really worry about accidentally stepping out of line.
Quoted from Alex:
Israel was conquered by pretty much every important empire in Western history (Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Caliphate, Crusaders, Ottomans, British), so it has a lot of interesting stuff to see.

In before vissario says Israel was conquered by the American empire too lol am i rite??? all ur base r belong 2 us

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 8 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 08:43:41 PM)

I'll put my hat in for Florence. It's the only place I've been to that is essentially defined by the top four things on your list.

You've got:

Renaissance Art all over the place inluding the Uffizi (think Venus di Milo, Rafael et al) and the Galleria Academia (David).

Food: It's italy. They've got fantastic food and cheap ass wine.

Archietecture: The city still has most of it's medievil and renaissance archietecture including the walls, the Duomo (cathedral), the castle, lots of campinales.

Historical Museums: Not as many of these tbh, but there was a cool torture museum that I went to.

Down Sides:

Cost: Italy is the most expensive place I've been to with regard to food and shelter.

Language: Italian isn't hard and a lot of people speak English but it's nice to be in a place where you're not constantly going through a language barrier.

Culture: Italians have a major superiority complex when it comes to tourists. Especially Americans. If you break a cultural rule (even a small one) they tend to jump all over you (at least they did with me!) For example: I went and had espresso one night at an espresso bar. It was steaming hot in there and the night was cool so I took the glass outside and drank it there. The owner about had a stroke.
This reply was last edited on 08-12-10 08:51:48 PM by Trash Mod.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 9 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 09:07:35 PM)

Quoted from Republican Jesus, M.D.:
I'll put my hat in for Florence. It's the only place I've been to that is essentially defined by the top four things on your list.

Do you think it would be possible to do a tour of Italy without being overwhelmed or completely drained in some way? I'd honestly love to see much of Italy, including Palermo, Syracuse, Venice, Milan, Florence and Turin (to say nothing of Rome of course) but I definitely do have to consider both time and cost. I'll certainly save up as much money as I need to but I don't think I'm comfortable taking a month off work to tour Italy.

From what I know of Italy (probably more than the average person but not an exceptional amount), I believe I would like the food of southern Italy most. I'm a fan of cheese and tomatoes and pasta and garlic.

I am also considering trying to do both Italy and France--perhaps flying into Paris and out of Rome, and using Ryanair or the train to get from point A to point B.

D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 09:40:26 PM)

Southern Italy is the poor Italy where you get your wallet stolen.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 11 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 07:00:19 AM)

We did a tour of Italy starting in Milan, then Venice then Florence then Rome.

Milan was nice but I'm not a big shopper so it didn't have a whole lot to interest me. Venice was a lot of fun. If you go there stay on the Lido which is the island that seperates the bay from the sea. It's really nice there. Florence had the most art. Rome had the most history. We took the train and that worked out all right. It helped that I had learned some Italian so I could understand the announcements and stuff. Out train switched platforms and times on more than one occassion for instance.

We did it in two weeks. I wouldn't do it in much less unless you absolutely have to. Of course, I'm big on vacations being relaxing and I don't see how you can do much more than see tourist site x,y,z with less time than I had.

You can do Italy on a budget. You'll be eating a whole lot of pizza and you might have an issue with the accomadations if you're picky. Also you might want to avoid Venice (at one point I paid about $30 for two cups of coffee!)

I'll post some pics when I get some time to dig them up.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 12 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 07:19:59 AM)

Quote:
In before vissario says Israel was conquered by the American empire too

He'd probably say it's the other way around.
-Amphy
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 13 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 09:07:11 AM)

I still don't know how you can argue jews don't control everything just read the list of producers on any media you consume Hay Suezz
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 09:10:15 AM)

Individual Jewish people != "The Jews"
-Amphy
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 15 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 02:02:23 PM)

shut up whitey
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 16 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 02:13:36 PM)

I can see why viss does this. It sure is an easy way to troll.

Also: zion Zion ZION!!!! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 02:23:58 PM)

Quote:
You can do Italy on a budget. You'll be eating a whole lot of pizza and you might have an issue with the accomadations if you're picky. Also you might want to avoid Venice (at one point I paid about $30 for two cups of coffee!)

Don't buy coffee in Europe.. Seriously, it's a money sink.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 18 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 07:42:57 PM)

wtf who pays that much for coffee, what planet do you guys go to
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 19 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 08:16:16 PM)

You guys aren't helping anymore MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Anyone been to Bermuda? Thoughts?

Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 20 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-13-10 08:25:54 PM)

The one person I know who's been there says it's nice.

I've been to Bahamas and Dominican Republic in the Carribean. Both are nice; I was mostly on a resort so the experiences are similar everywhere. Great scuba diving in both places.
-Amphy
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 21 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-14-10 04:26:30 AM)

http://www.travelalaska.com/
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 22 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-14-10 05:32:59 AM)

It sounds like you want to go to France, Italy, or Spain.

I would go to Spain. Your money will go a lot farther there (how about an espresso for 35 cents?!) and it's less touristic than Italy. Fly into Madrid, spend a day or two there, take a train down to Barcelona and absorb the awesome art scene there.

I had some friends that rented a beach house about 2 hours south of Barcelona for like 39 euros a night, that could be really awesome if you were going with a friend. It's also totally feasible to fly from Barcelona to Italy and do Rome or Venice or Florence, something like that.

Other cities you should seriously think about are Vienna and Budapest. They have tons of history and some really monumental, ostentatious architecture that the Habsburgs built. They're also about a million times cheaper than the Mediterranean countries, you can get a hostel bed in Vienna for less than 15 euros / night and in Budapest you could probably spend less than 6. Vienna also has a pretty great art scene, Budapest not so much. Obviously, the weather is continental, so if you're planning on coming in the middle of winter the Mediterranean countries would be a better decision.

here's a picture I took of Budapest, it's really a beautiful city

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 23 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-14-10 08:08:51 AM)

Quoted from #1 Stunna:
wtf who pays that much for coffee, what planet do you guys go to

I didn't know I was going to pay that much when I ordered it. They charged a "music fee". I was pissed but what could I do? I'm not getting arrested in Italy for skipping out on a coffee bill.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 72 (Originally posted on: 08-14-10 08:12:01 AM)

Yeah, that really sucks. I got ripped off on a "service charge" for coffee in hungary once but it made the cappuccino cost like 3 dollars instead of 2 lol
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 11234 | Total Posts: 72 ]