Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Inception > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 5773 | Total Posts: 32 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-18-10 09:20:55 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Just saw this last night and it was the shit.

Everyone go see it and report back here so we can talk about it.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 1 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-19-10 01:39:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I saw it this past weekend and really, really enjoyed it.

A lot of people (movie snobs) that I know are a little disappointed that it wasn't as smart or well developed dramatically as they'd of liked. I can definitely see it's issues with characters that have plot driven motives (Ellen Pages character, mainly). But beyond those simple quibbles it was very well shot and paced.

The cast was also very, very good. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (hottx10) who I really hadn't seen since 3rd Rock from the Sun was great (he was in that 500 Days of Summer flick but I'll forget I ever saw the trailer). Leonardo DiCaprio is really showing his acting maturity with this film. He has that whole - guy thinking and fighting to survive look - down. I also really enjoyed Tom Hardy, who I'd never seen in a film but knew of from various projects like Band of Brothers. The additional cast was also great but I'll leave the surprises to themselves.

So overall it was good. The concept was a little loose but since it was all about dreams I think it fit. It's definitely a film you have to just sit back and watch without asking too many questions.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 2 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-19-10 01:53:27 PM)

It was definitely enjoyable and worth seeing, but the movie snob in me is not a fan of movies that are 99% plot and 1% character development merely to justify the plot. I don't feel it lends itself to replay value beyond the kneejerk, "oh hey, that one line makes more sense now, hoorah!" sentiment.

I have a couple complaints about some of the choices they made though:

1.  Needs more paradoxes. 

2.  Fischer's dream-within-a-dream relied entirely upon him having resistance training that they admittedly claim they didn't know about. That's definitely a gaping plot hole. I suppose they could've called an audible at the last minute, but as far as I could tell, they never explained that. 

There are more, but they're minor and not worth typing out.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 3 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-19-10 03:16:44 PM)

@1:  Agreed, I thought they'd go further than just the one staircase thing. 

@2:  Which was a plot hole? Him having resistance training or them not knowing about it? I believe he could've had training as he's the son of a rich tycoon and dream-sharing didn't seem to be a big secret in this world. Them not guessing he had training is a different story though; when they mentioned it initially, I fully expected Fischer to have it and was a little confused as to why they didn't think of it beforehand without Arthur having to research it or whatever. 
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 4 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-19-10 03:43:59 PM)

Yeah, it's pretty idiotic for them not to know or suspect that he would have resistance training. However, I'm willing to suspend disbelief on that aspect.

The team structured and planned their mission without knowledge of Fischer's resistance training, then they ended up doing the whole Mr. Charles (or whatever his name was) thing where DiCaprio exploited Fischer's training to trick him into trusting them. My claim is that this is a plot hole, since as far as I could tell, there was no exposition explaining their change of plans, given the fact that Fischer had resistance training. Instead, they managed to pull off the Mr. Charles thing as if they had previous knowledge of his training, despite acknowledging openly that they did not. 
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-20-10 11:12:43 AM)

I pretty much agree with all Sandamnit's comments. It was a fun watch, but the movie snob in me ultimately found it forgettable. Had some pacing problems too.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 6 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-23-10 09:05:52 AM)

I thought the movie was great. Other than that, I don't really have a lot to say about it. It was nice to see a movie where the director assumed that his audience had half a brain.
My Music Blog
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 7 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-25-10 02:49:53 PM)

I really enjoyed this. The soundtrack (Hans Zimmer) was great and really added to the atmosphere. I have my complaints, but suffice to say that finally, a movie that has a ridiculous device (the whole system they operate on, really) that doesn't need some crazy scientific explanation. It was given to us as real and we easily accepted it. Also the action sequences were inventive and fun.

Question, though,  since we see the totem drop earlier in the film, was everything after they meet the chemist a dream, or am I getting that wrong ?
how is this for a quote
This reply was last edited on 07-25-10 03:00:27 PM by Hasty Penguin.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 8 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-25-10 07:00:48 PM)

I think it signifies that the entire movie is a dream. I think that the totem only works when you can accept that you're dreaming as Mol said to Cobb, "you can't change anything if you don't know you're dreaming". 

But from what I've read about the movie, its actually about the process movie makers go through to create a movie. Cobb is the director, Ellen Page, the Architect, is the screenwriter, the guy who could change his looks was an actor, and 3rd Rock kid was a scout or something, and Cillian Murphy was the audience. So really its a movie about making movies, and you shouldn't really read into the dream stuff so much.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-

This reply was last edited on 07-27-10 11:06:24 AM by ba.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 9 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-25-10 09:37:41 PM)

That makes it seem almost insulting to the audience, the filmmakers must trick their audience into digesting their message, but do it in such a way to make it appear as if it's unique inspiration.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 10 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-25-10 09:52:29 PM)

I liked it, but to be honest, I didn't really get it. I plan on looking stuff up and reading later on to fill in some of the gaps I didn't follow.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 11 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-27-10 11:06:02 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
That makes it seem almost insulting to the audience, the filmmakers must trick their audience into digesting their message, but do it in such a way to make it appear as if it's unique inspiration.

No, I think of it as more of an allegory for suspension of disbelief.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 12 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-28-10 11:39:39 PM)

Where'd you read about that interpretation? It's interesting because it's one of the first interpretations that popped into my mind. Cinema as a collective dreamspace and whatnot.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 13 of 32 (Originally posted on: 07-29-10 07:28:55 AM)

Wikipedia, Roger Ebert's review of the movie, among other places. Just google Inception.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 14 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-06-10 01:21:20 PM)

i've read a different interpretation of the film by video game developer Bethesda (Oblivion, Fallout 3) here and they liken it to a film about game design. A neat concept.

I've seen the movie twice now and I get the complaints but still love the mindless style. It's very well shot even if it isn't ground breaking, so I still like it.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 15 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-09-10 07:33:28 PM)

Saw it and didn't like it.

Aside from a few redeeming "wtf" moments when they cranked up the special effects, the movie was difficult to logically follow with all of their gibber jabber about dream time and the like. Heck, even the parts where they are in "reality" seem very disjointed and removed from each other. The plot unravels like a magic eight ball giving them the command to move on the fly.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 16 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-10-10 08:30:18 AM)

Quote:
even the parts where they are in "reality" seem very disjointed and removed from each other

You don't say?
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 17 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-10-10 08:32:59 AM)

He may be on to something...

edit: LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!

edit #2:

This video was brought up in another of Bethesda's blogs discussing Inception:

http://www.vimeo.com/3365942

It's how I think Inception should have been structured but wasn't.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 18 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-11-10 09:03:26 PM)

This movie solidified my decision to write my dissertation on films that question the nature of reality, with a heavy focus on Christopher Nolan, Terry Gilliam and other post-apocalyptic/postmodern movies.

I have to say that the action sequences toward the end could have been cut in half or more. Loved the movie. If I had to explain it to someone else, it would be The Matrix meets Existenz meets What Dreams May Come.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 19 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 09:01:18 AM)

Quote:
This movie solidified my decision to write my dissertation on films that question the nature of reality, with a heavy focus on Christopher Nolan, Terry Gilliam and other post-apocalyptic/postmodern movies.
Aside from Inception, I presume you're talking about Memento and 12 Monkeys? Not to derail this thread, but here's a list of films you should also check out that match the themes you mentioned, I'm sure a few of them are obvious, but if you haven't seen some of these, I recommend checking them out:

Solaris (the Russian one, not the Clooney one) (nature of reality)
Stalker (post-apocalyptic)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (nature of reality)
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One (postmodernism)
The Thirteenth Floor (nature of reality)
Pontypool (post-apocalyptic (kinda))
8 1/2 (postmodernism)
Akira (post-apocalyptic)
F For Fake (postmodernism, nature of reality)
Videodrome (postmodernism, nature of reality, post-apocalyptic)

I'm sure there's a hundred more, but those are the ones that I either own or could think of off the top of my head.
jimmy

Reply 20 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 04:29:24 PM)

Pontypool....that's the movie about how the English language turns people into zombies, isn't it? I think this will work well a lot of the theory I've been dealing with.

The only two I've seen on this list so far are Solaris and Eternal Sunshine. I'll have a look at the rest, and thanks for the recommendations.

Others that are going to be included in the project:

Pan's Labyrinth
Slaughterhouse-Five
Donnie Darko
The Road
Zombieland

A little background: my master's thesis focused on the ways in which Spielberg's WWII films/series contribute to nationalist thinking in the U.S., and how he has influenced the realm of WWII media (games, film, etc.). This next project is a direct descendant from the WWII project, in that I found that portrayal of identity is a key element of traditional WWII nationalist (and I don't mean Nazi) rhetoric. There is an growinggroup of filmmakers that are critical of this imagined group identity in their work, and this breakdown of community is what interests me the most.

The post-apocalyptic films that I would like to use will focus on the characters reveling in their new world (and thus the destruction of the old). The scene in Zombieland where they destroy the Native American tourist trap is the best example I can think of (besides the obvious Fight Club references). The fascination of the public with this type of film and the exultation of the characters in it point to a societal desire to destroy group identity, whether it be racial, political, geographical or other. This type of rampant individualism that we see in the box office is far more interesting to me than the typical "all for one and one for all" stuff that normal WWII movies project.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 21 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 06:01:32 PM)

Quote:
A little background: my master's thesis focused on the ways in which Spielberg's WWII films/series contribute to nationalist thinking in the U.S., and how he has influenced the realm of WWII media (games, film, etc.). This next project is a direct descendant from the WWII project, in that I found that portrayal of identity is a key element of traditional WWII nationalist (and I don't mean Nazi) rhetoric. There is an growinggroup of filmmakers that are critical of this imagined group identity in their work, and this breakdown of community is what interests me the most.
That sounds pretty sweet, actually. I've grown to really despise the whole aggrandized nationalistic war film industry, it's pretty sickening. I can't begin to tell you how many people in the military watch Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down, only to find their nationalistic pride rejuvenated. Same thing with Call Of Duty and that sickening game that the US Army developed back around like 2003-2005 or so. As for me, I much more prefer to take an honest, introspective and brutal (and sometimes tragically poetic) look at war through the lens of Das Boot, Platoon, The Thin Red Line, Come And See, Full Metal Jacket, etc.

Speaking of which, you should definitely watch Come And See, it's pretty much a present-day-apocalyptic film (filmed in 1985 about Belarussian resistance to Nazi occupation). Watching that film is almost like witnessing the apocalypse in motion, it's pretty intense. I'm not sure how helpful it will be to your present project. It seems like it would've be much more useful to your master's thesis, however it's still a fantastic film either way.

Pontypool is exactly as you described. It's a Canadian film about the whole Quebec independence issue, making the claim that English is destroying their culture and language in an area where it is geographically unique and should be rightfully preserved.

Another post-apocalyptic film you might want to watch is A Boy And His Dog, although it's kinda low-budget and a bit hokey. There may be some themes in there that may be useful to what you're looking for. There are also a TON of old Twilight Zone episodes that deal with post-apocalyptic themes, although many may not fit exactly into the theme you're going for.

edit: I also recommend They Live just for the whole destroying-a-group-identity theme, the social commentary in that film is about as thick as it can be, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it's fairly spot on. It's also just a fun movie.
This reply was last edited on 08-12-10 06:30:38 PM by Air Bud.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 22 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 07:01:13 PM)

Apocalypse Now. Though it was filmed before Spielberg was making WW2 movies it has pretty much everything you're looking for.
jimmy

Reply 23 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-12-10 07:01:25 PM)

I actually did use Come and See, and it's one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. If nothing else, the visual transformation of the kid was pretty well done. If you haven't seen Joseph Vilsmaier's Stalingrad, that's another decent one. I'll add these to netflix, though, so thanks.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 24 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-15-10 01:01:31 AM)

I have "Come and See" ripped unto my hard drive right now, if anyone wants a copy of it...
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5773 | Total Posts: 32 ]