Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Smoking .... your views, experience and opinions?? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2047 | Total Posts: 36 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
(Originally posted on: 07-10-10 06:14:13 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I don't smoke. Tried it in my teens and after 3 or 4 days of coughing and gagging up parts of my lungs I decided it was ridiculous and never picked up a cigarette again.

Living in the tobacco capital of the world doesn't make it easy, either. I know more people that smoke than don't.

I personally could care less. My friends know I don't and no one ever questions my choice and when we're out and around they never blow their smoke at me.

Some people I know are far less tolerant. I have other friends who won't even associate with someone who smokes. My wife has asthma so cigarette smoke can be quite literally deadly. Before they banned smoking in restaurants we never went out to eat unless the place had a large no-smoking section with plenty of tables away from the smoking section.

I guess I've always had a "whatever floats your boat" mentality about things like smoking and drinking and drugs ....... etc. As long as it doesn't harm me.

Thoughts, opinions?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 1 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 06:33:24 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I smoked for six years and just quit in December, I feel that the public smoking bans that are going in to effect are pretty fucking lame
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Reply 2 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 06:58:47 AM)

I really don't have a problem with the smoking bans in restaurants.

As for bars, I think that a lot of people go to a bar to drink AND smoke so it's sort of hurt a lot of businesses.

As far as I know Charlotte hasn't put any outdoor public bans into place but I would bet there are lawmakers who would like to!

Just curious, Muzta, how much money have you already saved by quitting?
My brother-in-law quit January 1st (his only New Years Resolution) and decided to track how much he has saved.
Last week he told me he's saved just a little under $1000.00 to date.

Pretty spiffy!
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 3 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 08:13:29 AM)

I've probably saved about 1200$.
(high taxes in the state of Maine)

I just don't not understand why they can't leave those decision up to the proprietors, and yeah, most bars would be smoking, but you do not have some inalienable right to pay to much for beer in a smoke free environment.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 08:37:44 AM)

Smoking honestly seems fucking retarded to me. I made a thread about this about a year ago, asking how people could start smoking in this day and age when they drill it in from childhood how bad it is for you. Hell it says "this will kill you" right on the package.

That being said, sometimes I'd like an excuse to go outside for a few minutes here and there, or kill a few when I show up 5 minutes early somewhere. It's also a good way to meet people.
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 5 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 09:27:10 AM)

Cigarettes are a social lubricant much like alcohol.

I smoked my first cigarette after smoking copious amounts of herb. A friend of mine said the magic phrase: "You think you are stoned now? Hit this Newport and you will get even higher!" I did just that, and was amazed as I felt my high elevate.
My Music Blog
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 09:30:18 AM)

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Ztolk. I've never seen the appeal, other than the oral fixation part of it, I guess, the same way someone might chew on a pencil or pen while writing.

I don't think any of my friends smoked cigarettes (there were a few pot smokers) until college, which was a different city, and in fact, the majority of my class were smokers. Either when they drank or just for kicks, they smoked, and I'm not sure why. There was some sort of society around it, too. It was like a special group that met up and there wasn't a clear reason for it other than the cigarettes.

A bunch of co-workers I didn't really liked smoked, and it seemed to give them a privilege of having a break whenever they felt like it, which was fairly often, which I thought was pretty unfair, especially considering the fact that the job was Tim Horton's and we were basically always busy.

I was sort of seeing a smoker once, and it lasted about a month, largely fuelled by alcohol. She smelled and tasted awful and it left me feeling sick once for hours the next day. There were other reasons that I stopped seeing her, but it was a pretty big factor. Smoking is pretty much a deal breaker for me now.

Admittedly, I don't really mind the smell of second-hand smoke, but only in the air. On clothing and such, it just becomes sickening.

I wouldn't want anyone I knew smoking, because it's a dumb idea with a bunch of health risks associated, but it's not my place to make that decision for them, either.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 7 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 10:04:07 AM)

I smoke probably less than 10 cigarettes a year, and maybe 5 cigars.

I've never been anywhere close to addicted, but occasionally the mood strikes me right and if there is a cigarette/cigar in the area i'll enjoy it.

I always regret it in the morning though because my mouth tastes like shit when I wake up.

Much like Hasty, I think second hand smoke is pretty gross, unless it's outside in the fresh air. Then it's amazing. Only if it's one cigarette though, not a huge smoking section with 10 people all stewing in their smoke.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 8 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 10:38:00 AM)

Smoking has never really bothered me. I didn't really do it very much for most of my life, it didn't interest me that much. Dating smokers has never been an issue for me. But since being in Europe where everyone smokes I have been smoking more, plus whenever I smoke weed here it's rolled up in a spliff with tobacco. So since making that change I have been smoking a lot more I guess. I'm still pretty ambivalent about it.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 9 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 10:43:54 AM)

I hate bad smells, and it stinks. So I can't reasonably do it, per my aesthetics.

The difference between smoking and other social "bad stuff" = the second-hand smoke. If you're a 3 year old in a restaurant breathing in smoke, they consider that bad. Therefore, they ban it in public. You can't get second-hand drunk.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 10 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 11:02:45 AM)

Quoted from IF0:
You can't get second-hand drunk.

MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

It just sucks that I don't have the willpower to stop smoking. I seriously beat a coke addiction, but I can't beat nicotine cravings. I think it has a lot to do with the availability of cigarettes. They are inescapable and other smokers are quick to hand you one.
My Music Blog
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 11 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 02:09:10 PM)

I smoke hookah every once in a rare while, socially. I've smoked two or three cigarettes and cigars in my life. I don't mind hookah, but I actively dislike the other forms of tobacco smoking. Like Ztolk, I also don't understand how people get hooked on it.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 12 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 04:12:29 PM)

I smoked weed before I tried cigarettes, and therefore, I see smoking cigarettes as a waste of smoking something that doesn't get you high. Nevertheless, I have smoked tobacco on a number of occasions, but have never had the urge to do so on a regular basis.

Despite not being a smoker (of tobacco) myself, I'm fairly against modern legislation that pushes smokers to the far corners of the Earth and makes them look like total scumbags, just for chilling and doing something that makes them relax.

Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 13 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 04:13:22 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Smoking honestly seems fucking retarded to me. I made a thread about this about a year ago, asking how people could start smoking in this day and age when they drill it in from childhood how bad it is for you. Hell it says "this will kill you" right on the package.

That being said, sometimes I'd like an excuse to go outside for a few minutes here and there, or kill a few when I show up 5 minutes early somewhere. It's also a good way to meet people.

It's the same reason people start drinking, or coffee or any other mood altering drug. It makes you feel better, but with none of those obnoxious short term side effects.
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 14 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 06:55:58 PM)

We just had taxes on smoking increased in Australia, and that wasn't a fun day to be at work.

I have think each to their own, i spent 15 years trying to get my mum to quit until recently giving up and deciding if she wants to die of cancer it's her choice.

Since i was little is was drilled in smoking was bad, and honestly the only people I know who smoke that are my age are pretty fucking stupid. Idiots from senior year who now do nothing but go get hammered every weekend, really. I know no intelligent people my own age who smoke.

As far as banning smoking in public places, it's just a further deterant, along with the tax. Since we have public health care, taxes go into taking care of the people who make the active choice to smoke something that's helping them get all kinds of illnesses. I'd rather my money didn't go into that, really. I'm fine with people choosing to smoke, but not when it affects the health system in such a negative way.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 15 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 07:50:43 PM)

Cigs are kinda gross. I don't mind the smell of them, and I almost always step outside when my friends go for smokes. I can handle a few drags of a cig when I'm drinking, but then I always find that I have a small craving for it again the morning after when I'm hung over. They are crazy addictive and i have an addictive personality so I will try to never ever buy a pack, and moreso, I'll try not to ever smoke a whole cig. Only when I'm drinking alot though. I don't want to be a cigarrette smoker, and I don't think I'll ever become one.

Mostly I love smoking though, in general. Hookah is fucking awesome. I love Cigars and pipe tobacco (Captain Black, if possible). And of course, a certain particular illegal substance...

The oral fixation part is certainly part of it, but I just love the act of smoking.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 16 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 08:21:51 PM)

One time I mowed the pasture and it was very hazy out. I didn't realise until that night that the haze was actually smoke from a forest fire in Georgia, and by then I was well on my way to one of the worst allergy attacks I've ever had.

So I don't like smoke anyway.

My parents have always smoked and my mom smoked before she knew she was pregnant with me, which in part caused my severe allergies and some physical problems. She's tried to quit more times than I can count but always goes back to it; my dad quit cold turkey once and he lasted an impressive three weeks.

I wish the recent cigarette tax increase in South Carolina ($5/carton & 50 cents/pack) would deter my parents from smoking, but my mom's justification is that it's still less expensive than New Jersey. Silly though--cigarettes in general, no matter how little they cost, are a waste of money. afaik there are no health benefits to cigarettes aside from the supposed relaxation factor; the fact that people sometimes get special breaks at work (I used to work at a place where smokers were allowed a 7 minute smoke break between official breaks while nonsmokers just had to deal with it) to feed an addiction to something that is going to kill them is altogether stupid.

I support public bans on smoking because my personal health (& obviously the health of others) suffers when I inhale smoke. I like how IF0 put it--you can't get second-hand drunk. I don't give a shit if you want to smoke or not, but don't make me sick in the process. It would be kinda of like if I walked up to a person and licked them while battling mono. It's not cool.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 17 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-10-10 10:47:09 PM)

Quoted from yotube.ca:

My parents have always smoked and my mom smoked before she knew she was pregnant with me, which in part caused my severe allergies and some physical problems.

Prove it.
webturbo

Reply 18 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 01:36:48 PM)

I probably should also clarify my sort of "blase" attitude towards cigarettes ... I really think people should have the choice of what and how to run their lives and whether or not they are stupid enough to endanger their own lives with cigarettes ...

BUT ...

Having witnessed the results of second hand smoke on my wife ... since she has asthma .. it's definitely no laughing matter and a really disgusting habit.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 19 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 06:07:02 PM)

Quoted from thats hype:
Quoted from yotube.ca:

My parents have always smoked and my mom smoked before she knew she was pregnant with me, which in part caused my severe allergies and some physical problems.

Prove it.

I didn't know Nick Naylor was itt.

Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 20 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 06:31:27 PM)

Well you'll have to do better than "I have allergies because my parents smoked."
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 21 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 06:40:38 PM)

I said in part. Genetics has to do with it too. (Arguably a larger part in the matter.)

Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 22 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 06:43:23 PM)

Where you a Premie?
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 23 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 06:43:43 PM)

No, I was actually late.

Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 24 of 36 (Originally posted on: 07-11-10 06:49:26 PM)

interesting, I guess that might actually make sense now that I think about it. From what I've heard the primary side of effect of smoking while pregnant is low birth weight and underdevelopment which can subsequently cause a variety of issues.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2047 | Total Posts: 36 ]