Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Dungeons and Dragons > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3438 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 06-22-10 05:31:24 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

At the risk of being labeled a giant fucking nerd, I am asking you guys if you have ever played D&D or been a DM. I am thinking about trying to run a campaign for some friends that are itching to play, but it is something that I haven't really done before.

Any advice?
My Music Blog
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-22-10 05:58:09 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I used to, with some family and family friends. Easiest thing for you to do as a first-timer = go out and buy a campaign book. That way, you'll have a world, its inhabitants, towns, cities, politics, coinage, etc. already mapped out and ready for you to look up if needed. You can also go through a few practice modules to get the hang of it before starting an actual continuous campaign. Also, you can include modules in your world once you have it all ready to go. You can find tons of free modules on the internet, or professional ones at any bookstore.

Next best thing, get used to pretending you're somebody else. You can't play a nervous peasant the same way as a haughty noble when you're communicating with your players. You really have to use your imagination to take over somebody else's personality over and over again.

A few other good role-playing games:
Twilight 2000 (Post-Cold War, assuming the Cold War DID explode)
Vampire: The Masquerade (Though emo and goth kids turned this one kinda creepy)
Paranoia (This is more for RPG veterans that enjoy RPG humor, and needs a familiar and experienced GM/DM)

EDIT:
And I think I heard the brand new edition of AD&D = really really dumbed down for new people. So if you have some experienced people, they might appreciate some older editions of 3G instead of 4G, or even 2G.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-22-10 06:06:02 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
I used to, with some family and family friends. Easiest thing for you to do as a first-timer = go out and buy a campaign book. That way, you'll have a world, its inhabitants, towns, cities, politics, coinage, etc. already mapped out and ready for you to look up if needed. You can also go through a few practice modules to get the hang of it before starting an actual continuous campaign. Also, you can include modules in your world once you have it all ready to go. You can find tons of free modules on the internet, or professional ones at any bookstore.

Next best thing, get used to pretending you're somebody else. You can't play a nervous peasant the same way as a haughty noble when you're communicating with your players. You really have to use your imagination to take over somebody else's personality over and over again.

A few other good role-playing games:
Twilight 2000 (Post-Cold War, assuming the Cold War DID explode)
Vampire: The Masquerade (Though emo and goth kids turned this one kinda creepy)
Paranoia (This is more for RPG veterans that enjoy RPG humor, and needs a familiar and experienced GM/DM)

EDIT:
And I think I heard the brand new edition of AD&D = really really dumbed down for new people. So if you have some experienced people, they might appreciate some older editions of 3G instead of 4G, or even 2G.

Thanks for the quick response. I have PDFs of all the books for D&D 3.5, which is the ruleset I am going to use. I have the core rules down as far as combat is concerned. I am not so much worried about crafting the world - actually being creative and fleshing that part out is what will make the game fun for me.

I was more thinking about what to use as tiles and game pieces. I don't want to go out and sink a bunch of money on miniatures if this is just going to be a fad. What can I use in place of costly mats, tiles, miniatures, and figurines?
My Music Blog
IF0
Administrator

Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-22-10 06:09:41 PM)

Those checkerboards from cheap chess and checkers boardgames. Cardboard with lines drawn on it. A markerboard laid down on a table so you can draw things on it. Pieces of cardboard cut into the shape of fortifications, or whatever. Coins can be people. The lines/checker spaces are important because you can measure distance (which helps with movement lengths, ballista or falling damage, etc.).
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-22-10 06:15:27 PM)

Good idea with the checker boards. I was also thinking about using a scrabble board. It seems like a good idea to me. I hadn't really thought about chess sets and whatnot. That seems like an even better idea.

I am looking for some stuff that I can maybe print out and glue to cardboard.

Actually... while posting this I just had a Eureka! moment. I am going to go to my mother's house and gather all my old Legos. That will pretty much work better than anything I can deduce at present.
My Music Blog
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-23-10 12:19:39 PM)

For 3.5 I'd really recommend keeping it in the 3-8 level range. Anything more is a pain in the ass to DM (in my experience). It feels like I have to spend an extra three or four hours for every session just magic proofing the entire fucking adventure. (i.e. Scry + teleport + nuke + teleport bullshit)

Been really considering running an AD&D game myself (or a clone). Maybe some day when I get some more time on my hands and some players.

EDIT:
Also, since we have a thread about it, I'm looking for players for a weeknight game online that I want to DM and will probably need players. If anyone is interested hit me up. It's 4e though just in case that's not your bag or whatever.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-23-10 02:18:47 PM)

I'm around every weeknight as long as it's past 11p - midnight CST.
BlessedSoul: honestly, sunny is mildly insane
CursedSoul: I didn't want to ask Sunny because she's been acting nuts lately.
BlackSoul: sunny is crazy...deal with it
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-23-10 02:22:09 PM)

I'd be game to try it out. I am not really familiar with the 4e rules though. Nothing a few hours of reading won't take care of.

nickguevera - AIM
My Music Blog
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-23-10 02:23:41 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
I'd be game to try it out. I am not really familiar with the 4e rules though. Nothing a few hours of reading won't take care of.

nickguevera - AIM

Let me know what kind of character you need me to play and I will create one for your campaign. Ideally I'd like to play a rogue or swashbuckler, but I can be a healer or a beatstick if need be.

Point Buy or Dice Roll, etc...

Na mean?
My Music Blog
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 06-23-10 06:47:50 PM)

Cool! I'm still trying to get enough players to make the game but it's looking better and better so we can expect to start in a couple of weeks most likely.

As for character creation, I usually play 4d6 drop the lowest but for this one it will prob be point buy. I'm kind of into making my life easier as DM this time around and making fun fights is always easier when the numbers aren't so swingy.

When we talk we can go over the whole thing a bit more in detail. My AIM is DocNick642 if you see me before I see you.

You're the first with a character preference so have at it. I can send you a good Dragon Article with feats and powers to turn your rogue into a swashbuckler if you want. I played one for a couple of sessions and they're fun.

@ifo: Still working on timing. I have a friend in Nashville who wants to play but he's giving me a hard time about playing past 12 his time. Maybe I can convince him.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 07-15-10 12:28:06 PM)

The campaign I started running is going famously.

After procuring some materials and running some errands for a gnomish master tinker, we have successfully completed construction on a flying fortress - think steampunk meets Mario 3.
My Music Blog
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 07-15-10 07:37:55 PM)

That's really cool. I'm still planning on doing the online campaign I'm just busy getting my life back together after vacation.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 08-06-10 12:02:56 PM)

So Nick, you in or not? I can never catch you on AIM for some reason.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 08-06-10 04:12:15 PM)

I'm in man. Just let me know when. I will PM you my phone number.
The next president of the United States of America.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 08-26-10 08:47:54 PM)

Someone else should jump in and play with us. I guess it is going to be a Wednesday night thing. I doubt any of you fuckers go to church.
The next president of the United States of America.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 08-27-10 08:39:18 AM)

Yeah, we need players. We're down to two and I'm kind of second guessing having people play multiple characters.

Wed 8:30 pm pacific.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 08-27-10 09:57:09 AM)

Well, I get off work at 11pm or midnight CST at the moment. I'm looking for a daytime job though. I dunno.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 08-27-10 10:37:57 AM)

I wish I could stay up that late but I start work at 8 AM.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-25-10 01:30:30 PM)

I'm just going to link this because it represents everything I love about Dungeons & Dragons

http://donjon.bin.sh/4e/dungeon/
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-25-10 07:46:01 PM)

Quoted from Jack London:
I'm just going to link this because it represents everything I love about Dungeons & Dragons

http://donjon.bin.sh/4e/dungeon/

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-25-10 11:29:41 PM)

Oh look, youtubes from years and years ago.

I believe "I magic missile the darkness" is a standard D&D go to joke at this point.
jimmy

Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-26-10 02:09:42 PM)

Did I say it was new and original? You linked something that was "everything [you] love about DnD". I linked the only thing I loved about DnD.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-26-10 03:01:22 PM)

Oh so you were just threadshitting then. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. It just turns out you were being unfunny AND obnoxious not just unfunny.
jimmy

Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-26-10 04:45:57 PM)

Someone once told me

Quote:
Then don't read it? I'm just bored , christ.

No one forced you to watch the movie. You don't get to determine the ways in which your post is used. You don't get to pick who replies to your post and how. The movie was just as relevant (and far more entertaining) than your reply, so go blow yourself.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 09-26-10 09:11:21 PM)

I didn't watch the movie. But you're right; I should ignore you.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3438 | Total Posts: 40 ]