Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > How has your world view changed since you were a kid? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3905 | Total Posts: 70 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 06-19-10 08:14:37 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

These ideas are something that I have been thinking about a lot lately.

So the question stands - how do you view the world after being a part of it for ~20 years?

What do you think the future holds for humanity as a whole?

Do you think that we will ever achieve a truly peaceful society?

Being an optimist, I tend to have very hopeful and positive world views.
My Music Blog
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 08:37:30 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Yeah. I grew up in a suburb and didn't really think about the outside world as a kid. Now I spend a lot of time thinking about people that don't have the luxuries I do.

I don't know. I think it's unlikely we'll kill ourselves off anytime soon but... well.. you know.

Probably not but I will do my part to try.

It's really difficult for me to maintain optimism when all I think about most the time are things like social injustice, hungry children and human trafficking but I'm trying. Humanity has its good sides too. =)

BTW, you stoned?
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 2 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 09:06:07 AM)

Quote:
Now I spend a lot of time thinking about people that don't have the luxuries I do.

I spend most of my time thinking about how sappy, liberal views like this are gradually destroying American exceptionalism.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 3 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 09:16:09 AM)

Quoted from Dr Nick, M.D.:
Yeah. I grew up in a suburb and didn't really think about the outside world as a kid. Now I spend a lot of time thinking about people that don't have the luxuries I do.

I don't know. I think it's unlikely we'll kill ourselves off anytime soon but... well.. you know.

Probably not but I will do my part to try.

It's really difficult for me to maintain optimism when all I think about most the time are things like social injustice, hungry children and human trafficking but I'm trying. Humanity has its good sides too. =)

BTW, you stoned?

Nah. I am not stoned.

I was just curious how other people actually viewed the world. I know that based on my childhood I should be extremely cynical but I am not. It does take a certain kind of person to maintain optimism against terrible odds and terrible situations.

Everyday an old asshole dies, and the world becomes more progressive.
My Music Blog
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 09:43:57 AM)

I think the civilization will destroy itself in 50-100 years
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 5 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 09:46:45 AM)

Quoted from ice:
I think the civilization will destroy itself in 50-100 years

Do you honestly believe this?
My Music Blog
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 6 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 10:01:38 AM)

Are you really that surprised?

He thinks that fucking a white woman is racist if the person fucking her is white.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 7 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 10:19:32 AM)

Quoted from vissario:
Are you really that surprised?

He thinks that fucking a white woman is racist if the person fucking her is white.

That was sarcasm bro.
My Music Blog
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 8 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 10:23:56 AM)

Quoted from vissario:
I spend most of my time thinking about how sappy, liberal views like this are gradually destroying American exceptionalism.
Tell me about it, it's so annoying, this is God's country.
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
Reply 9 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 10:53:51 AM)

Quoted from Nickolati:

Everyday an old asshole dies, and the world becomes more progressive.

Everything sort of hinges on that, really. Except ... there are new assholes being born every day. I don't know if we're getting much better as a society and a world ... but we're not necessarily getting any worse.

I don't know ... I've been here 46 years and I almost feel like I need another 46 before I can form an opinion on this.
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 10 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 12:20:24 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from vissario:
Tell me about it, it's so annoying, this is God's country.

I thought that was Israel OMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!?
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 11 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 01:08:56 PM)

Quote:
So the question stands - how do you view the world after being a part of it for ~20 years?

What do you think the future holds for humanity as a whole?

Do you think that we will ever achieve a truly peaceful society?

Q1: World looks pretty shitty to me. Lots of people with lots of money keeping it all to themselves and a lot of dumbasses on the bottom (like me) just waiting for their handout (not like me) from the stuffed coats. People seem to think that because they are some "historically disadvantaged minority" like black/mexican/poor/gay/whatthefuckever that they are entitled to a little something extra from the rich white folks in society. Be it money or pride, they think that some type of government-run charity needs to fix this gap. Now, I don't like this gap myself, but if you want a bigger peice of the pie, you should earn it yourself instead of always asking "please?".

Q2: I don't know. I don't expect it will be anything good for us Americans, though.

Q3: How the fuck should anyone know? Looking at history, I seriously doubt that.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 12 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-19-10 04:16:55 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Q1: World looks pretty shitty to me. Lots of people with lots of money keeping it all to themselves and a lot of dumbasses on the bottom (like me) just waiting for their handout (not like me) from the stuffed coats. People seem to think that because they are some "historically disadvantaged minority" like black/mexican/poor/gay/whatthefuckever that they are entitled to a little something extra from the rich white folks in society. Be it money or pride, they think that some type of government-run charity needs to fix this gap. Now, I don't like this gap myself, but if you want a bigger peice of the pie, you should earn it yourself instead of always asking "please?".
What you're saying is that you don't like the existing power structure, but instead of addressing issues that need to be faced in order to remedy the problem, you're implicitly supporting that power structure by continuing to marginalize already marginalized classes by saying that they need to act more like those in power before they can exercise their will against that power. In other words, you must become like your enemy in order to defeat him. Do you not see the problem with this?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 13 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 05:42:07 PM)

@Viss: I don't see why they don't just take it. There are way more of them than there are of the rich people.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 14 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 05:47:08 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:

Do you honestly believe this?
I guess I don't really believe that we'll be able to sort out a real, vialble alternative to fossil fuels before we destroy the planet / run out of fossil fuels / both.
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 15 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 05:47:43 PM)

This is a pretty obvious question.

Obviously we all just realized that the world is pretty fucked up. Although I went through a phase of thinking "woah..alot of bad stuff has happened recently." Until i realized bad stuff has been happening forever, I was just old enough to notice it.

you're all being retarded doomsdayers, cheer the fuck up. There is ACTUALLY some good things happening in the world(has NO ONE looked at my harry potter theme park thread?!). And as far as all the shit stuff goes... I like to think by the time something bad seriously happens, i'll be pretty old and will have already done all the awesome stuff in my life.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 07:04:05 PM)

Meh, if you want to know what shitty times means just try living in the first half of the 14th century.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 17 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 07:09:25 PM)

Yeah the world has always been fucked up, and every generation thinks that it is the last. I mean sure 1000 years ago they didn't have oil spills and economic downturn, but they had Vikings raiding villages and taking grain.
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 18 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 08:27:10 PM)

did you seriously just page sunny to this thread?
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 19 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 09:33:59 PM)

It's his birthday, let him have his fun.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 20 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-20-10 11:01:12 PM)

thank god we live in an age where we can horde our grain without fear.
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
Reply 21 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-21-10 02:04:58 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
Meh, if you want to know what shitty times means just try living in the first half of the 14th century.

Exactly!!
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 22 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-21-10 02:13:30 PM)

Quoted from webturbo:
Quoted from Sukkit:

Exactly!!

The second half was a jolly good time though.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-21-10 03:46:08 PM)

you're right, white europeans sure have it good these days
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 24 of 70 (Originally posted on: 06-21-10 03:57:09 PM)

Actually, except for very specific places at very specific times, I'd say pretty much everybody is better off now, even if the contrast is not as drastic as in Europe.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3905 | Total Posts: 70 ]