Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > ITT Tell me what to do in Washington D.C. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1678 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

(Originally posted on: 06-04-10 05:02:58 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Well folks, I am finishing up my stay in North Chicago and going on another adventure on the East coast. Before I get to my next command, though, I have authorized four days of leave while in transit. The airport they are sending me to is right outside of D.C., and because it is the nation's capitol, I want to take a couple nights on the town.

Do any of you guys have any good suggestions or recommendations for what to do?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
This reply was last edited on 06-06-10 11:21:52 AM by atlas sighed (at me).
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-04-10 07:47:01 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Food: There is an absolutely fantastic soul food restaurant on U Street called Oohs and Aahs. It's cheap, you get tons of great food, and the owner is nice. There's good pizza at Vace Pizza in Cleveland Park. Palena, also near Cleveland Park, would be my vote if you're looking for something upscale. Ethiopian is kinda a specialty in DC; Etete on U Street is good.

U Street is an area with lots of night life and restaurants. There's also some in the Adams Morgan area.

All the touristy things to see and do are pretty obvious - they're touristy but still worth doing. The museums are all cool; my favorite is the National Gallery of Art. I was never as into the monuments and stuff, but they're worth seeing once I suppose.

The metro is pretty good and quick in DC - you can get pretty much anywhere with a metro pass and some walking.

EDIT: At Oohhs and Aahhs, don't get the fried chicken breast, as it is just average. I like the catfish dishes and meatloafs, but everything I've had there is good. I like mac and cheese and collard greens as sides.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like

This reply was last edited on 06-04-10 07:52:37 PM by emtilt.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-04-10 10:08:09 PM)

I went there when I was about 11, and I liked the museums. Smithsonian, Natural History, etc.
"you look bigger on facebook"
-Amphy
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-10 01:04:33 AM)

A word about going out in DC, I don't know how you normally dress when you go out, but I've heard that everyone there dresses really well all the time and it can be somewhat alienating if you don't have nice clothes on.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-10 06:37:52 AM)

Shoot everybody that is wearing a suit.
My Music Blog
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-10 10:27:58 AM)

I've only been there on field trips, and they were always fun. Then again, I was like 12 so who knows.

Have fun

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-10 10:53:27 AM)

Quote:
A word about going out in DC, I don't know how you normally dress when you go out, but I've heard that everyone there dresses really well all the time and it can be somewhat alienating if you don't have nice clothes on.

This is true. They're all yuppies up there.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-10 07:31:24 PM)

Quoted from ba:
Quote:

Georgetown is the epitome of this existence.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-05-10 10:17:39 PM)

Quoted from Amphytight:
Quoted from ba:
Quote:

Georgetown is the epitome of this existence.

I had a good friend from high school who went to Georgetown. Judging by the state in which he returned, i'd say this is definitely true.

atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 11:20:02 AM)

Would it be a good idea to wear a uniform?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 11:28:18 AM)

like, to a bar?
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 11:50:58 AM)

I've already gotten my fill of drinks in bars with the whites on.

I was thinking more about walking around in the daytime in D.C. The reason is that I am packing light to my next command. I sent a lot of my clothes home and now I only have one pair of jean pants and a button-up collared shirt. Either I will be wearing the same set-up for three days or I will mix in a uniform here and there. What I wanted to know was how do people react to seeing servicemen in D.C.?
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 12:01:43 PM)

I've never seen anyone react negatively to someone in uniform just wandering about town. I haven't seen it specifically in DC but I can't imagine it being a bad idea if it's convenient for you.

atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 12:16:00 PM)

Heh, good to know.

My dad told me when I joined that if you run into the wrong person with your uniform on, they might fuck with your food or spit on your shoes.

Then again, he joined back in 1971.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 12:34:39 PM)

If I saw someone in uniform I would probably treat them like I do to police which is to say I would avoid eye contact and leave the area as soon as possible
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 12:46:01 PM)

Why?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 12:58:48 PM)

I don't know why, but I feel the same way.
-Amphy
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 01:08:28 PM)

because police are scary and mean?
D
Administrator

Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 01:08:44 PM)

I always felt that way in Greece because soldiers were always walking about, and military vehicles were on the road pretty frequently. I have no idea how accurate this is, but it always gave me the uneasy feeling that they were way too prepared for martial law.

Here in the states though, the military presence doesn't really loom at all - at least not anywhere i've ever been. I've only seen a handful of military vehicles on regular roadways here ever (but it was uncomfortable those 3 or 4 times), and when I see a soldier in uniform I think of them just as a person who's job is something in the military and for whatever reason didn't get changed. I dunno, i've never felt threatened by it at all here.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 02:07:25 PM)

Quoted from ice:
because police are scary and mean?

On a related note, my brother has picked up verbally accosting police as a hobby.

He lives in a college town and during the summers the cops just camp out on his street because they have nothing to do and he's just started going up to them and asking why they're there and why it is that they don't have anything better to do
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 02:13:46 PM)

I don't know how it is in the US but here it's always the less than bright who join the local police (the national police and the civil guard [which is technically part of the military] are a bit different). Always the dumb jocks, the violent ravers, the tough guys of the 'hood, that sort of people. When someone asks what happened to that retarded outcast from high school and someone says "he joined the local police", no one is surprised. It's only natural to look down on them and to fear them, regardless of ideological considerations.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 02:20:11 PM)

Dimi if the military presence in Greece makes you nervous you should try going to Israel. They're EVERYWHERE.
-Amphy
D
Administrator

Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 02:24:11 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
I don't know how it is in the US but here it's always the less than bright who join the local police (the national police and the civil guard [which is technically part of the military] are a bit different). Always the dumb jocks, the violent ravers, the tough guys of the 'hood, that sort of people. When someone asks what happened to that retarded outcast from high school and someone says "he joined the local police", no one is surprised. It's only natural to look down on them and to fear them, regardless of ideological considerations.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why you'd be scared of someone in an army uniform in the same type of way that you'd be scared of someone in a police uniform.

Theres really nothing your average soldier that is out and about doing whatever errands can do to you, which is much different than what police can do.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 02:44:23 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:

That pretty much transcends nationalities

I actually have a friends who is not a 100% fuck who joined the force, good guy

the rest of them are pig fuckers
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 06-06-10 02:49:43 PM)

Well, the military is much like the local police in that regard around here. It seems like the only people who join are those who couldn't possibly do anything else with their lives. Not very bright people, usually. There's jokes about the IQ requirements being lowered so that even mentally retarded people can join; stuff like this is pretty normal (for vissario's benefit, the headline says "Unemployment makes normal people sign up for the army").

It's different here because no one uses the army to pay for a university degree or anything (most everybody can afford studying at a public university).

Edit: I almost feel bad saying this because two of my favourite cousins were in the army and are now in the police.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1678 | Total Posts: 35 ]