Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Haiti's pretty much not a country anymore > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 2987 | Total Posts: 63 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
(Originally posted on: 01-13-10 04:39:19 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

As many of you know, Haiti was hit by a massive 7.0 earthquake less than 10 miles outside its capital, Port-au-Prince, on Tuesday. The country's prime minister estimates that thousands of people are dead, and reports are estimating anywhere from ten thousand to one hundred thousand are dead; the American Red Cross estimates that approximately 30% of the country's population has been physically affected. Most of the buildings in Port-au-Prince, such as the National Palace, hospitals (including the Doctors without Borders setups) and the UN's head mission building, are severely damaged or destroyed. Haiti, which is already in a precarious position economically, has been rocked by the earthquake and its aftershocks and basic services--food, water, medical treatment--are under massive strain. Citizens are sleeping on beds of cardboard in the streets, on soccer fields and in parks, as far away from buildings as possible because very, very few have been left undamaged.

Currently, humanitarian relief is flowing into the country rapidly, with dozens of countries declaring support either monetarily or by sending physical aid in terms of food and water, doctors and medical supplies.

But will it be enough?

Although Haiti has had political calm in the last few years, the fact is that the country is still a very rough place to live. 80% of the country is at or below the poverty line. Currently, there is next to no medical aid, and even within 24 hours injuries can easily become infected, which simply compounds the amount of medical aid a person will need.

I admittedly know very little about Haiti beyond the civil unrest of the 1990s and the extreme poverty rate (and Wyclef Jean, obv). I'm not very certain what to think about the whole thing, but it's obvious that Haiti's future currently looks very, very bleak. Do you guys think Haiti can come back from this disaster? Will the country fall into anarchy or will it emerge as a stronger place because of this?

Also, for an idea of the damage the earthquake has done, here's an image of the National Palace before:

And after.

Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 1 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 05:52:54 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Anything is possible if the right people step up to help.

Haiti is no worse shape than a lot of African nations, and not enough is being done for them - so my hopes are probably wasted energy. Just another tough blow for brown people. Columbia will probably be hurt as well considering that Haiti is a crucial point in the drug trade leading to America.

I'd expect to see a lot of people trying to migrate to Cuba and Florida.
My Music Blog
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 06:30:09 PM)

Haiti was fucked way before this, no one's going to do anything about it
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 3 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 06:31:17 PM)

reminder that people literally eat dirt in haiti
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 06:40:26 PM)

Military is on the way now. My buddy loaded up on a plane an hour ago.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 5 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 06:50:01 PM)

I toured through Haiti while in the DR in July, it looked pretty shitty to begin with.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 6 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 08:01:21 PM)

Pat Robertson is going around saying that Haiti signed a deal with the Devil to overthrow the French and now God is punishing them. That kind of thinking disgusts me.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 7 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 08:26:17 PM)

That can't be true...

can it?
It is company policy not to release this information.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 8 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 08:28:56 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Pat Robertson is going around saying that Haiti signed a deal with the Devil to overthrow the French and now God is punishing them. That kind of thinking disgusts me.

Me too, if only they had read Faust first
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 9 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 09:35:39 PM)

Quoted from DrNick:
That can't be true...

can it?

That is in fact true!
Quote:
Robertson, the host of the "700 Club," blamed the tragedy on something that "happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it."

The Haitians "were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III and whatever," Robertson said on his broadcast Wednesday. "And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the French.' True story. And so, the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' "

True story.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 10 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 12:10:16 AM)

Hey, Haiti, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just wanted to tell you, California had one of the best earthquakes of all time!
My Music Blog
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 11 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 06:39:46 AM)

Quote:
True story.

What a fucking hateful idiot.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 12 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 08:52:00 AM)

What? They clearly signed a pact with the devil. Look at their skin.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 13 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 04:33:28 PM)

Quote:
Haiti is no worse shape than a lot of African nations, and not enough is being done for them - so my hopes are probably wasted energy. Just another tough blow for brown people.

You brown people are pretty incompetent when it comes to running and organizing a country, aren't you?
Shape up, man.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he has realized that he's a clown at this point, and that he's just making statements that are as outrageous as possible to get more attention.
DRAHNIER
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 14 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 07:45:12 PM)

Quote:
Haiti is no worse shape than a lot of African nations, and not enough is being done for them - so my hopes are probably wasted energy. Just another tough blow for brown people. Columbia will probably be hurt as well considering that Haiti is a crucial point in the drug trade leading to America.

Actually, I think the district of Columbia will do just fine.
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermögen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darüber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 08:55:04 PM)

I highly doubt god would do anything positive for the french.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 16 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 09:29:38 PM)

Fox News Sucks

"There are bodies everywhere."

"Yeah, well... I didn't get any sleep last night."

My Music Blog
This reply was last edited on 01-14-10 09:38:52 PM by Nickolati.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 17 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 10:53:58 PM)

That was the first time I didn't want to punch Kieth Olberman in the face.

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 18 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 06:53:56 AM)

Oh shit.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 19 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 11:46:50 AM)

I am still not following why I should care about Haiti
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 20 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 12:16:00 PM)

Then don't?
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 21 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 12:23:37 PM)

Quoted from DrNick:
Then don't?

Well, there is a great many people out there who seem to think I should on the news.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 22 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 03:23:55 PM)

Okay. Do you do everything the news tells you to?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 04:09:22 PM)

Vissario could you please put more effort into your trolls?
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 24 of 63 (Originally posted on: 01-15-10 05:59:22 PM)

Just in case anyone is thinking of donating stuff to aid efforts in lieu of money, you may want to give this article a look. To summarize: donating stuff can be problematic and slow things down because people have to sort through a mountain of crap to find the items they can actually use, so monetary donations in a time of emergency will be much more helpful for everyone.

Consider especially that there is a severe bottleneck for incoming aid - only one runway to use at the airport and a harbor without the cranes needed for unloading ships.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2987 | Total Posts: 63 ]