Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Stuff you've done > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2238 | Total Posts: 22 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-12-10 07:25:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I encourage everyone to make a new thread when they finish off their latest masterpiece, or any project they want people to see. But sometimes you do something small and you don't necessarily feel like it warrants its own thread. I know I do. Dump it here!

I just finished a little ink drawing of a Corn Bunting.

And around Christmas time I made this little song/cartoon:

What sort of stuff did you just finish off?

D
Administrator

Reply 1 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-12-10 10:06:40 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Heres one i'm gonna call "The Doors of Perception," in honor of Jim Morrison. At first i was just doodling little lines in ink, then I realized it was looking like my hair, so I was going to make it a 'self portrait.' Then the hair got too big to be mine so i'm naming it after Morrison instead. Also it kind of looks like a doorway

This reply was last edited on 01-12-10 10:16:54 PM by D.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 2 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-13-10 03:27:09 PM)

That is pretty cool man. It almost looks like a wood block printing.
My Music Blog
D
Administrator

Reply 3 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-14-10 05:56:56 PM)

Thanks dude. Someone else told me it looked like a Linoleum print, which I didn't know what it was but after looking it up I now wanna get into it.

Star wars:

Classical Gas:

Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 4 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-16-10 07:03:27 AM)

I am working on a stencil of Ol Dirty Bastard right now.
My Music Blog
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-18-10 08:30:40 PM)

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Hasty Penguin/03 Mess Clock - Remedial Effort.mp3

I made this tonight for some fun. It's all just loops and recordings chopped together, so no real talent, sadly. The third in an ongoing, and I thought, discontinued series. I wasn't paying terribly close attention, though, because part 3 has the same drum loop as part 2. Keep in mind I made them a year apart, so I hadn't really listened until recently. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Here are parts 1 and 2, which I think were uploaded at some point as well.
http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Hasty Penguin/02 Mess Clock - Leisure Time.mp3
http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Hasty Penguin/01 Mess Clock - Dinner Conversation (Intro).mp3

Enjoy.

edit:
Also, I haven't listened to your songs yet, but I like the look of those drawings, and the cartoon was very charming. It could have had an old man narrating some story about a starving dog who gets fed over it or something (or any moral story that somehow actually related to the cartoon shown). The song is fun to listen to, too.

I'm sure other people on here make things as well, don't they?
how is this for a quote
This reply was last edited on 01-18-10 09:00:51 PM by Hasty Penguin.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 6 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-18-10 09:01:56 PM)

Nice.

Here is a picture of the next stencil I am going to cut. It is Charlie Cooper, one of my favorite musicians.

My Music Blog
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 7 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-19-10 03:54:07 PM)

Quote:
I'm sure other people on here make things as well, don't they?

I'm in the middle of refinishing a chair. I'll post a picture if it ever gets warm enough for me to put polyurethane on it.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-19-10 04:34:33 PM)

Hasty: I really like those songs that you make. I liked the new one you made, but i'd have to say Leisure Time is my favorite.

Thanks for sharing and for checking out my drawings/cartoon, I was worried this thread was just going to end up being my personal art dump.

Amphy: Thats a cool picture, post the finished project!

Hasty Penguin
get in the box

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Reply 9 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-21-10 09:02:09 PM)

I found a 50s video about surviving an atomic bomb and decided to roll with it. Originally, this was going to go on for a while, referencing an unknown danger and there would be some bizarre text chopping, but I decided to stick with one odd little phrase that seemed strangely haunting:

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Hasty Penguin/04 Mess Clock - Duck And Cover.mp3

I think when I do my next one, I want to have more text built in a way that isn't so cut, but more choppy and could create odd conversations, more like the Dinner Conversation track.

edit:
Listening today, I've made some sound balancing issues between the voice and the music. I'm going to do some quick editing and re-upload this later tonight. The current version will be up until then.
how is this for a quote
This reply was last edited on 01-22-10 03:28:53 PM by Hasty Penguin.
D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-23-10 01:15:25 AM)

I really like the stuff you do, do you have any tips/suggestions? I tried making something similar myself but it ended up sounding messy and boring so I gave up.

http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Dimi/guantanamo.mp3
(don't listen too long after the words stop, theres no more)

Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 11 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-23-10 07:54:24 AM)

Are you playing all the instruments in this? It reminded me of "Thrills" by Cake.

I've just been recording songs I have, and taking one or two second fragments and condensing or expanding them, changing the pitch etc. in a timed loop. Then downloading free drum loops (I would make my own, but my brother has the software right now due to a packing error that would allow me to make the loops I could specifically tailor the sounds and beats for instead of finding ones that work) to put over top. Alter the tempo or number of beats in the loop to get stuff to match up. I haven't experimented too much with tempo yet. Then, using Audacity or Dirpy, to get youtube educational video clip audio. I find those recordings work really well because of the dated recording quality and the vocal styles have a heightened quality about them that is really great. The "professional and practical" narrator is usually a pleasant sound, too. Radio broadcasts - like CBC "Cross Canada" or "Alberta Today" or something tend to work well, too. The quality of those recordings fits in well, too, and you can easily get 100 hours of vocal material, and then just take the phrases that seem to work best. A lot of talk radio has free podcasts and broadcast recording available. It's actually pretty surprising how much of it can be useful. I tend to find that finding the dialogue last is the most helpful, as I'm not confined to a particular sound or message.

Other than that, I've been working with more hip hop oriented beats and simple melodies. I'd like to get more complex, but I'm not particularly patient for the next... at least four months. There are some artists who work really well with this kind of stuff. DJ RAPEKIT (despite the name, it's fairly tame material), DJ Yoda, some of DJ Shadow, Prefuse 73, Rjd2 and Metaform carry these kinds of things really well. A lot of the influence comes from these artists and I've built kind of an aesthetic around that.

Some artists will also give out remix parts to their songs, which can mostly be googled to be found - though they're usually electronic. These are also useful, because the melodies and harmonies are already in place, and you can mix and match and alter the pitch, tempo and whatever else. In the current bit I'm working on, I'm making use of chopped up remix parts from Trifonic, who are worth listening to as it is - but they've given out the individual parts to several songs, including vocals (which I haven't experimented with yet because of pitch issues).

The best thing to do is probably listen to some of those artists and their songs to hear the professional version.

Also, keeping the songs short is pretty handy. It's somewhat ADD music as it is.
how is this for a quote
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 12 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-23-10 05:17:18 PM)

I'm not going to turn this into a picture thread, but (in the vein of Nick's goals of 2010 thread) I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to really utilise my film camera and be more comfortable with cameras in general. I want to end the year by entering a photo contest of some sort--I doubt I'd win anything, but having the confidence to do it is the real reward to me. Anyway, here is the result in progress.

Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 13 of 22 (Originally posted on: 01-23-10 09:59:38 PM)

Completed this one tonight. I didn't expect to make it, as the other track I'm working on was sounding too emotionally heavy for how silly the voices were. This one was a lot of fun and I was tempted to go on with the one section, but decided to follow the old "brevity is the soul of wit", so here is the newest:
http://uploaded.interestingnonetheless.net/Hasty Penguin/05 Mess Clock - Pro Advice.mp3
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 14 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-08-10 11:19:34 PM)

Just saw the Star Trek episode "The Inner Light." The episode was so beautiful and the flute song just embedded itself in my heart. Had to learn it and record it.

D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-14-10 06:47:23 PM)

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 16 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-15-10 11:59:00 AM)

dawwwww
D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-16-10 06:19:21 PM)

Speedpainting, cause why not

Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 18 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-20-10 04:43:00 PM)

I've enjoyed everything that has been posted here so far. I wish I had any creativity or skills to do something myself.

And what's up with birds Dimi?
Despair came knocking at my door
and I let her in.
For a while.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 19 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-22-10 08:02:13 PM)

I really like those birds. You could do a whole series of them in a variety of situations and I wouldn't be at all bored.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 22 (Originally posted on: 02-22-10 08:48:56 PM)

Someone posted a photo of those birds and I really really enjoyed it, so I thought i'd paint it since I was looking for something to paint.

My next project is going to be a 22x28in map of the world. Im not exactly sure on what its going to be yet, but I'm either going to use the Peters Map, or this map http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/World-map-2004-cia-factbook-large-1.7m-whitespace-removed.jpg

I'm going to paint it in the style of a really old middle age or ancient map, but it'll be accurate to today. I'm considering adding little graphics (like sea monster or little boats) like fake old maps sometimes have. Maybe landmarks as well. We'll see, 22x28 is daunting for someone who isn't much of a painter. Ideally I want to have every country labeled on there too, but that may be a bit challenging, especially in europe if I use the Peters map. Also, then I will be tempted to add capitals which will make it even harder. So we'll see how I go about borders/labels.

This reply was last edited on 02-22-10 09:31:32 PM by D.
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 22 (Originally posted on: 03-01-10 11:04:21 PM)

Built this today, it was fun.

Quote:
After having a conversation with some friends about how cool theremins are, I found a circuit diagram for a 'pocket theremin' online and decided to try it out. The output sound is varied by changing the amount of light inputted into the photocells, unlike a regular theremin. It's difficult to control the sound too accurately, so I don't foresee myself using this as a musical instrument. Perhaps I'll look into making a more conventional theremin some day!

Note: The video and sound is not aligned. The sound is difficult to control, but it is not as erratic as this video would make it seem!

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-04/build-pocket-theremin-cheap

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 22 of 22 (Originally posted on: 07-13-10 03:26:37 PM)

It took a few weeks of on & off sewing, but I finished making this bag last week. First sewing project with my new sewing machine and since college.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2238 | Total Posts: 22 ]