Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Health & Beauty: chances are you possess neither of these > Physical size > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3682 | Total Posts: 28 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-07-10 03:59:21 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Over the past 4 months, I've been on a diet and exercise regimen made entirely with the intention of gaining muscle mass. I started at 169 lbs and am currently at 194 lbs (at 5'11"-6' height, mostly gained muscle mass and water weight). I'm currently at the boundary between being average-sized and being large. I need to decide whether I want to keep gaining mass, or if I should just start to lean out right now and maintain this level of muscle mass.

I'm curious about people's view of physical size (independent of height). Being large certainly has image benefits (intimidation, attention, etc), but negatives do exist. Some women, for example, seem to prefer thin guys. Larger people are sometimes associated with lower intelligence. What do you guys think of the benefits/disadvantages of being large, average sized, or thin? Especially those who are larger (I'm looking at you, Ztolk), how do you feel about your physical size?
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-07-10 07:49:46 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I used to think I preferred thinner guys, but I actually don't. I like guys to have some weight, because I look weird (fat omg yah rite fag lol ) next to skinny guys and I'd probably break them.

I'm okay with my size. I know I'm fat and I'm not happy with being fat, but I have always been physically a larger person. My body's size is never going to be a 2 or probably ever even a 12, with which I've come to terms. My bones just take up a lot more space than that, especially in my hips. However, I've noticed over time that it does intimidate a lot of people, especially when combined with my height--I think I carry my weight fairly well, which overall gives the appearance of just being large, and that scares people who are smaller. It also puts guys who are thinner/shorter than I am on edge, I guess because they feel emasculated by it.

In terms of guys, I think that while women sometimes like their guys on the thin side, no one really likes someone who is so skinny their pants are falling off. I don't know what pressure society puts on men to be thin--it's something I've never considered, because it doesn't really affect me. Guys, anything? I know there's the pressure to be masculine/manly & muscular or whatever, but what about in terms of weight and actual size?
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner

This reply was last edited on 01-08-10 10:09:35 AM by Amphytrite.
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 2 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-07-10 09:15:26 PM)

It's a balancing act. I constantly have to put up with people telling me I'm too skinny and not taking me seriously because of my size, and yet I have friends about Socrateius' size that don't look proportional and appear too large and get treated like brainless meatheads.

Ideally you should find the mass that looks most proportional on you, doesn't make your head look tiny and so on.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 3 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 05:40:40 AM)

If you get big enough that you can't wipe your own ass, you are no longer adding to your level of physical attraction, fyi.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 4 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 06:54:53 AM)

I am a big dude and it has never really stopped me from getting laid. It's all about your swagger.
My Music Blog
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 5 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 10:09:05 AM)

I don't think Soccy's worried just about getting laid, but also not looking weird. I agree with Shadowe's suggestion to stick with what looks most proportional--more muscle might make you stronger, but there's a thin line between muscular and gross/weird. Ask some female friends if you look proportional or not, or if your head looks too small/your shoulders are too narrow, etc. Proportion is usually the best gauge for good physical size.

Shadowe

Reply 6 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 07:54:34 PM)

iirc there are ways to increase strength without also increasing bulk, swimming's been recommended to me most often for that.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 08:01:34 PM)

I suppose I am sort of large. Probably not the biggest around though (Brad?).
It does sort of give an unspoken air of intimidation, like most smaller people assume I'm good in a fight without me doing anything to back that up. Most people after hearing me talk for a minute know I'm not an idiot, but that also depends on how you carry yourself.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 8 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 09:16:51 PM)

Quote:
Ask some female friends if you look proportional or not, or if your head looks too small/your shoulders are too narrow, etc.

I can't picture that conversation going at all as you imagined.

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 9 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 09:31:51 PM)

It would be youtube worthy, to say the least.

D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 10 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-08-10 11:52:17 PM)

Sergio: Hey Cindy, am I proportional?
Cindy: Are you proportional...??? What??
Sergio: Like, does my head look too small maybe?
Cindy: Your head looks like what a persons head is supposed to look like.
Sergio: So you think I am proportional then?
Cindy: Uhm.. I guess? What the hell are you talking about?
Sergio: Like, are my shoulders too narrow for my head size?
Cindy: No? I don't know?
Sergio: Ok... I'm gonna stop this conversation now.
Cindy: Thank you.

This reply was last edited on 01-09-10 12:00:20 AM by D.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 11 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-09-10 01:54:27 PM)

Cindy's a whore.

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
Reply 12 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-10-10 03:15:44 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
It does sort of give an unspoken air of intimidation, like most smaller people assume I'm good in a fight without me doing anything to back that up.

Yeah that's worked to get me out of a few jams. Since we all know I'm the president of the "big pushover club" you can infer that I'm not the toughest hombre on the ranch ... but I am a big guy. 6' 3" and about 220. I haven't been in an actual physical fight since my first year in college. I think people just don't want to play the odds!

I was at a bar a few years ago and some dude who was maybe 5' 6" spilled a drink on me. He got pissed because he spilled his drink and gave me a push. Like it was my fault or something. I grabbed him by both shoulders and shoved him, meaning to just get him off me, and the dude flew backwards and over a table, wiping out two other people and faceplanted in the middle of the dance floor. Fucking hilarious.

That being said, I still wish I was about 20 pounds lighter and maybe about 3 inches shorter. It's harder to buy clothes when you're a big dude (and tall to boot) and I'm constantly hitting my head on things and running into things. Like the proverbial bull in a china shop.

I've been running for about 3 months and have lost some weight, but not much. If I end up getting skinny I'll check back in on this thread!!
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 13 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-11-10 06:15:26 AM)

do you have a picture? we can be your Cindy!

Also massively muscely guys are gross. lean but muscely is my cup of tea. When the muscles begin to not look natural it looks weird , when they just look way too big for your size. Plus i'm 19, and the majority of super bulky guys i know are generally tools in comparison to less. perhaps that is just a coincidence.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 14 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-12-10 05:40:34 AM)

Quoted from webturbo:
Quoted from Ztolk:
It does sort of give an unspoken air of intimidation, like most smaller people assume I'm good in a fight without me doing anything to back that up.

Yeah that's worked to get me out of a few jams. Since we all know I'm the president of the "big pushover club" you can infer that I'm not the toughest hombre on the ranch ... but I am a big guy. 6' 3" and about 220. I haven't been in an actual physical fight since my first year in college. I think people just don't want to play the odds!

I was at a bar a few years ago and some dude who was maybe 5' 6" spilled a drink on me. He got pissed because he spilled his drink and gave me a push. Like it was my fault or something. I grabbed him by both shoulders and shoved him, meaning to just get him off me, and the dude flew backwards and over a table, wiping out two other people and faceplanted in the middle of the dance floor. Fucking hilarious.

That being said, I still wish I was about 20 pounds lighter and maybe about 3 inches shorter. It's harder to buy clothes when you're a big dude (and tall to boot) and I'm constantly hitting my head on things and running into things. Like the proverbial bull in a china shop.

I've been running for about 3 months and have lost some weight, but not much. If I end up getting skinny I'll check back in on this thread!!

We're probably about the same size. You've got like 6 pounds on me though.
No problem.
Shadowe

Reply 15 of 28 (Originally posted on: 01-12-10 09:22:52 PM)

Heh, and I'm celebrating being 5'8" and getting up to 125-30 even though I STILL look like death slightly warmed up.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 16 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-22-10 11:34:07 AM)

I'm 6' and in the processes of trying to lose weight. I weigh about 170 and I've never really been obsessed with how I look. I put more stock in how I feel. My back feels better when I'm 160-165 and I can hike better and not get winded going up and down stairs.

Of course having my stomach stick out less is a welcome side effect.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 17 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-22-10 11:42:54 AM)

You should be gaining muscle, so you have some pecs and not just a little 12 year old girl chest, that's why your stomach looks like it's sticking out. 170 at 6 feet isn't very big at all.
No problem.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 18 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-22-10 11:53:58 AM)

Quoted from Jeezus:
You should be gaining muscle, so you have some pecs and not just a little 12 year old girl chest, that's why your stomach looks like it's sticking out. 170 at 6 feet isn't very big at all.

Not Suggesting that it is, I'm just generally about 160 and I put on about 10lbs in the last year or so

edit - actually if you want to get technical it wasn't this last year, I hit a peak of 185 some time this fall, and if you considered that I weighed about 150 3 years ago then I had put on about 35lbs in three years
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
This reply was last edited on 02-22-10 12:02:15 PM by Muzta.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 19 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-22-10 12:52:47 PM)

6'3", 145 pounds (soaking wet) when I graduated high school.

6 years later, 215. I could lose some beer belly, but I'll probably just keep building upper body and let that shit come off in the summer when I actually go running and swimming.
No problem.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 20 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-24-10 12:09:09 AM)

Yeah, I've spent the last month and a half leaning out. From 190 to 175. I'm so fucking hungry. I'd recommend maintaining pretty high protein intake and continue lifting weights if you don't want to lose muscle mass with the fat.

C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 21 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-24-10 07:19:41 AM)

The best way that I've seen is just incredibly high protein intake, intense workouts and really, really low carbs. I need to do that this month.
No problem.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 22 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-24-10 02:36:44 PM)

Quoted from NO BUTT STUFF:
The best way that I've seen is just incredibly high protein intake, intense workouts and really, really low carbs. I need to do that this month.

Yup. Exactly that. It sucks ass.

C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 23 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-24-10 02:39:32 PM)

I always do good until about 4pm and then I start drinking the beer. And I love pasta. And rice.

Fuck.
No problem.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 24 of 28 (Originally posted on: 02-24-10 03:07:57 PM)

To make a really cool low-carb pasta substitute, slice up zucchini into really thin, long strips and, saute briefly until the right texture, and then treat it like you would spaghetti. It's better than it sounds
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3682 | Total Posts: 28 ]