Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4671 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-03-10 08:34:03 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

The title is a quote from Bernard-Paul Heroux. I don't know who he is, but I wanted a nice title for this thread that would be similar to the Alcohol thread's title.

Warning: Long pointless story about how I started drinking tea

I have never liked tea. The only hot tea I ever had was shitty black tea in dirty diners, and I never cared much for iced tea either.

But somewhere along the way I tried a Lipton Iced Green Tea, and liked it enough to keep trying it. The love of it gradually grew until I started regularly bringing home a case of it.

Naturally the thought came to me: would green tea mix good with any alcohol? So I google searched it, and found a lot of recipes for home-made green tea & vodka infusions. I was intrigued, so I went out and bought a bunch different Green Teas and a bottle of Smirnoff. I decided to give them all a taste test (even though, to this point, I thought I hated hot tea) to see which I should use to infuse (and to practice the method, as I'd never made tea before). I didn't love it at first, but I found myself making several cups anyway.

I woke up the next morning with a delighted urge to make some tea. Over the next few days I found myself drinking 5+ cups every day. At this point I've leveled out a bit, drinking ~2 cups a day, but I'm always looking forward to the next cup.

Weeks later I finally made that green tea infused vodka. I tried it on the rocks - it was decent but I think I used too much sugar. Let me know if you're interested in trying your own, i'll post my method.

tl;dr: I didn't like tea, then I tried it and now I love it.

So I wanted to start a thread about Tea. Do you drink tea? What kind of tea do you drink? What is your favorite, what kinds are good for what moods/times of day? Share your thoughts on tea, or tea experiences! I'm still an inexperienced tea adventurer, so I have much to learn.

These are what i've been drinking:
Good Earth Green Tea with Lemongrass - no sugar
Revolution White Pear Tea - with sugar
Tazo Green Tea with Lemongrass and Spearmint - with sugar
Teavana Fruit Bomba Green Tea - with sugar

Does anyone drink their tea with milk? I've never tried it because I feel like its going to spoil a good cup. What type of tea is milk best with? How much?

Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 08:43:08 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I like tea. I think I think I like it more than I actually like it, but I drink it on occasion. I have this can of green tea from Japan that I mix with hot water on occasion. If I'm drinking English-style tea then I might add a bit of milk but not much. I've also had high tea, which is pretty awesome because they give you scones and shit. Green tea is supposed to be really good for you.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 09:14:38 PM)

How 'bout coffee?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 09:14:39 PM)

English Breakfast with cream and sugar.

hell yea tits
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 09:17:58 PM)

I like all sorts of teas. Usually, if I go to an Asian restaurant of some sort I'll order tea, which depending on the place tends to be Jasmine, Oolong, green tea or occasionally something else.

When I'm feeling under the weather or in need of some comfort, my tea of choice is Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime. I sometimes call it "sleepy bear" because there's a picture on the box of a bear in a night shirt relaxing next to a fireplace.

It also goes very well with a slice of pie.

Other varieties I like include:
Earl Grey
English Breakfast
Rooibos Tea
Chai
Yerba Mate

These are all good with milk or without. If I do add milk, I usually use a tablespoon or less.
D
Administrator

Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 09:27:12 PM)

Wow Spiff, that looks delightful. Props to the box designer because I want to drink that every night before bed. I'm going to try and find it next time i'm out. I have a box of Celestial Seasonings' green tea which i've yet to try.. Now's as good a time as any I suppose.

edit: I've actually yet to try an Herbal Tea. I read that it's not actually tea since it's not made from Tea leaves. Does it taste/feel like tea? Does it have any of the same/similar health benefits?

edit: Just tried the Celestial tea I mentioned. Pretty good. A pretty standard Green Tea flavor, but delightful nonetheless.

This reply was last edited on 01-03-10 09:51:35 PM by D.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 10:26:33 PM)

I love tea. I usually drink Earl Grey with cream and sugar, but I'll take pretty much anything from green to pomegranate.

http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Sale-Clearance/?cm_mmc=Google-_-PPC-_-Tea-_-teavana/&SC=PPCG&gclid=COH6iJWMip8CFVFM5Qoddh8Lng

This place, if you can find one close to you, has some of the best (and most expensive) tea anyhere. They have this one type, that is a ball of leaves that blooms into a flower once added to hot water.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
D
Administrator

Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 10:34:02 PM)

Yeah there is a Teavana in one of the malls nearby. I stopped in there by chance only a few days after I first got into Tea. I got "Fruit Bomba Green Tea," which is delicious but is almost more of a dessert than a tea, and it's very light and weak so I only drink it when i'm in the mood.

The salesman was really nice but was trying to sell me just about every product they had, which was annoying because i'd only been drinking tea for a couple days and didn't even know how into it I was going to get: I wasn't about to leave the store with a tea package fit for Queen's personal kitchen.

I did get some of their sugar rocks though. They're pretty good, I think. I haven't really noticed much of an upgrade between using them and just using ordinary sugar.

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-03-10 10:47:27 PM)

Quote:
I did get some of their sugar rocks though. They're pretty good, I think. I haven't really noticed much of an upgrade between using them and just using ordinary sugar.

Yeah they're cool, but other than supposed coolness-factor, they're not that interesting. It's easier to just buy a 10 lb bag of sugar.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 01:56:08 PM)

The only tea I like to drink is iced tea with lemon (basically an Arnold Palmer).

I grew up on yansoon (anise tea). It is sweet and tastes good with a little bit of milk. But I used to drink it all the time when I was sick so now it is hard to stomach tea in general. I prefer coffee now. *sigh*
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 03:15:04 PM)

Oh, forgot about my favorite tea:

Long Island Iced Tea.

Okay, not really tea, but still.

But still.

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 03:25:54 PM)

I have been an avid tea drinker for years.

Although I don't really know a lot about tea, I always try different things each time I order something. In the morning I usually drink a green tea/ginseng blend with a splash of cream. I don't really drink anything with sugar in it, even iced tea or coffee.

For some reason not drinking sweet tea in the south is blasphemy. I get more shit about that than being black.
My Music Blog
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 03:49:01 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
For some reason not drinking sweet tea in the south is blasphemy. I get more shit about that than being black.

So true. In high school, my friends would carry around gallon jugs filled with sweet tea. They had a new jug every day.

webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 03:59:35 PM)

Quoted from Spiff:

When I'm feeling under the weather or in need of some comfort, my tea of choice is Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime. I sometimes call it "sleepy bear" because there's a picture on the box of a bear in a night shirt relaxing next to a fireplace.

Aww man Sleeptime is the best ... I got turned on to that years ago by an ex girlfriend who was suffering from insomnia. She didn't even like tea but tried it to help with sleep.

I tried it and not only does it work, but it tastes great.

On a general note, I do tend to drink more hot tea during the winter months and rarely in the heat of summer.

I like it straight up but will sometimes add a little sugar or Splenda. I've never tried milk but have a friend who loves his tea that way.
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
webturbo
"This body is old but it's all that I got. When 900 you reach, look so good you will not!"

Soundgarden is actually one of my favorite bands ever.

Ballkicks: (+17 / -4)
Reg. Date: Oct 2007
Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 04:02:32 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:

Being from the south myself I can attest this is a true statement!! I grew up on sweet tea (iced tea) and my Mom still drinks it every day at every meal. I think I burned out on it long ago because I rarely drink it anymore. I haven't made a gallon at home in ages.

I will sometimes have a glass at a restaurant if I know their iced tea is the real deal.
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 04:10:18 PM)

I tried Splenda (or some other fake sugar brand) at work before. It was disgusting. Maybe it was the stale old teabags they had, but i'm pretty sure it was a combination of the stale old teabags and the gross fake sugar, but.. worst cup of tea ever.

Soccy, my imagination tells me you first got into tea at the age of 12 because you wanted to be cool and drink Earl Grey like Picard. Am I wrong? Because I hated star trek and even I wanted to try Earl Gray to be cool like Picard.

Niko, last time I was in the south (before I started drinking tea) I noticed the obsession with Sweet Tea. "Tea" meant iced sweet (very sweet) tea. It was weird. I turned down a handful of offers for "tea" only to find out later that I actually wouldn't have minded some.

I always add some lemon to my tea because my mom told me "As far as the health benefits go, if you don't add lemon, you might as well not bother drinking the tea at all."

I'm on my way to trader joe's in a couple minutes, hopefully they'll have that sleepytime tea. I'm pumped.

Last night I tried Red Tea for the first time. The aroma got me really excited for it because it almost smelled strongly of cinnamon. The taste was okay, but not as cinnamony as I hoped. So i'm going to see if Trader Joes has any Cinnamon Red Tea as well. It has no caffine in it so it's supposed to be a good relaxing tea.

Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 04:24:50 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
Soccy, my imagination tells me you first got into tea at the age of 12 because you wanted to be cool and drink Earl Grey like Picard. Am I wrong? Because I hated star trek and even I wanted to try Earl Gray to be cool like Picard.

The first tea I ever got was Earl Grey for exactly that reason.

The first wedgie I ever got was for exactly that reason.

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 05:49:26 PM)

Splenda, from what I understand, creates the identical response from your tongue that sugar does, but because the molecules are smaller, it irritates your taste buds when you're not used to it.

So if you drink it enough, its supposed to taste exactly like sugar. But those first few cups are gonna be nasty.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
D
Administrator

Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 08:55:51 PM)

Quote:
The first tea I ever got was Earl Grey for exactly that reason.

The first wedgie I ever got was for exactly that reason.

Dimi likes this

(btw if you type : like : you get the picture and "likes this." yay)

BA I rarely friend people from the internet on facebook but when I saw your quote I was like, aw why the hell not!

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 09:48:51 PM)

*feels special*
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 10:22:39 PM)

I generally prefer coffee, but when I drink tea (which is still somewhat frequently) I drink this one:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2610744952_3524bf46a4.jpg?v=0

you can find it at the asian markets where they don't speak english or take credit cards

also i'm out of upload space can someone hook me up
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 11:30:07 PM)

I ended up getting a Trader Joe's brand Red Tea and Sleepy Tea on my trip. The red tea is delightful. Like the last one I mentioned, the smell is more delicious than the taste, but this one backs up it's aroma a little better. Also more of a clove taste, which I love.

I'm going to try the TJ's Sleepy time tea before bed tonight. I'll post my thoughts later. i'm a serial-killer :)

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-10 11:41:43 PM)

You should try Kava tea. It's an herbal stress-relief tea that, if you steep like 8 bags in a smallish teapot (in other words, over-saturate the water with the tea) for a decent amount of time, you'll get a nice little buzz when drinking it.

The flavor itself is a little weird though, so Kava over-saturated can be overpowering. Vanilla soy-milk and some cane sugar should do the trick. Also maybe a bowl hit.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-10 04:46:27 AM)

I forgot that thai tea is delicious.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-10 09:50:56 AM)

Anyone had, heard of or familiar with Kombucha tea? I'm gonna start making some but it takes a couple of weeks.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4671 | Total Posts: 59 ]