Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Do you give money to hobos? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 13919 | Total Posts: 131 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-28-09 07:02:33 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

When hobos or panhandlers ask for money in the street, do you give it to them? Why or why not?

The common reason why not is that they'll just spend it on booze, which I think sounds like rationalizing, but it may be true. I've heard stories of people offering food instead of money getting told to fuck off.

We also live in a society where the government supports you if you don't have a job, so I wonder why they don't go on welfare for a few hundred bucks a week instead of begging for change. Of course, you need an address to get welfare, so the homeless are out of luck. I've read that not all panhandlers are homeless though.

Anyway, I rarely give money to them, I usually only do if I'm drunk or having a good day. Once this scary lady came up to me on my bike and started pleading and I gave her a toonie.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
3ms
poz_twinkl0rd

One time I saw 3ms punch a bear in the testicles, no homo!

Ballkicks: (+59 / -12)
Reg. Date: Oct 2008
Reply 1 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 07:26:24 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

No. I don't have any money.
Also my dad has literally straight up offered to hire a bunch of homeless guys but they turned him down because they would rather not work. So....
ANIME IS FAG
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 08:03:58 PM)

I do. If I were in the same situation, I'd want someone to help me out so... yeah.

One thing I've found with charity is, if I start trying to qualify it, it loses meaning for me personally.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 3 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 08:13:47 PM)

No, because I never have any cash.

One time a hobo came up to me while I was waiting for the Metro and he asked me for money, and I said I didn't have any. Which was true, and like I'm going to slide my debit card behind his ear and donate $20 to his cause. And then he started giving me shit, saying I was a rich white girl and why did I have to make this about race when all he asked for was some change. I just ignored him and everyone else stared at him like he was a whack job. But it soured my experience of giving money to anyone on the street, especially when most of the cities I visit--Washington, Atlanta, Chicago and the like--are all known for having panhandlers who do so specifically to make money, not because they are truly in need.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 4 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 09:10:29 PM)

Over this summer I gave a group of street kids a pack of cigarettes my friend left at the bar.
3ms
poz_twinkl0rd

Reply 5 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 10:23:20 PM)

Quoted from DrNick:
I do. If I were in the same situation, I'd want someone to help me out so... yeah.

Quoted from 3ms:

Also my dad has literally straight up offered to hire a bunch of homeless guys but they turned him down because they would rather not work. So....

ANIME IS FAG
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 11:03:03 PM)

Usually I don't, but if I have some loose money in my pocket (not my wallet) I consider it.

And I never 'donate' money while visiting Baltimore. I swear you get stopped every other block down there by someone with some outrageous story about how they're a totally normal person who has had a ridiculous string of bad luck and just needs 6 more dollars to get bus tickets home.

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 7 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-28-09 11:26:19 PM)

I usually just try not to make eye contact and if they keep harassing me I open my trench coat and give them a lil flash of the old 9mm, that shuts em up quick
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 8 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 10:49:57 AM)

If I see the inmate work crew while I am driving, I always roll down my window and throw my pack of cigarettes at them.
My Music Blog
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 9 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 12:44:25 PM)

Quoted from 3ms:
Quoted from DrNick:

Quoted from 3ms:

Quoted from DrNick:
One thing I've found with charity is, if I start trying to qualify it, it loses meaning for me personally.

Quote fight!
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 10 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 02:29:18 PM)

Quoted from mac:
Over this summer I gave a group of street kids a pack of cigarettes my friend left at the bar.

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 11 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 02:29:18 PM)

I don't really see why people care what homeless people spend their money on. If you actually think your dollar that you hand to them is going to improve their life in a more tangible way than getting them drunk tonight, you are mistaken.
3ms
poz_twinkl0rd

Reply 12 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 04:32:31 PM)

Quoted from DrNick:

Quote fight!

I can't quote fight you because you didn't make a point. I win by default. Add another the the list of my uncountable number of victories; nigh infinite.
ANIME IS FAG
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 13 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 04:35:53 PM)

I am really gullible/naive about giving people money. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS But now that it has been forever since I've worked, I hardly carry cash on me (nor could I exactly afford it at this point) so if someone asks I can only offer change or nothing.
Minus, The Nightmare
Desperado

Ballkicks: (+7 / -6)
Reg. Date: Mar 2009
Reply 14 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 06:10:33 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
If I see the inmate work crew while I am driving, I always roll down my window and throw my pack of cigarettes at them.

Hell yeah. I used to do that, when I lived in Morristown. Now, I never drive anywhere.

Quoted from Zippo:
I am really gullible/naive about giving people money. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS But now that it has been forever since I've worked, I hardly carry cash on me (nor could I exactly afford it at this point) so if someone asks I can only offer change or nothing.

I am too. I usually give what I can when someone's obviously in a rough spot.

But now, I'm super broke, too, so I never have much to give. I don't guess I really come across anyone like that on campus, but in Nashville, there's a lot of street musicians that are homeless.
My band: http://www.myspace.com/cygnuslooptn
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 07:10:42 PM)

Quote:
Anyway, I rarely give money to them, I usually only do if I'm drunk or having a good day

I used to, living in Richmond, you run into that everytime you go to any gas station or 7-11. I've become a bit jaded though because after having been here awhile, you start to recognize them and realize that their stories of woe are bullshit as they repeat the same one every night, and are generally too fucked up to remember that they've been telling me that they just ran out of gas and need a couple dollars to get home... every time I'm there.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 16 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-29-09 07:13:46 PM)

No.

Fuck 'em.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
just_dandy
INTL Premium Member
Unapologetic apostate approaching her apotheosis, how apropos

Ballkicks: (+130 / -4)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 17 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-30-09 12:46:10 PM)

I do, but I pretty much never carry cash. I've stopped and bought a couple of weeks' supply of groceries a few times. Thing is, especially with the unemployment rate and such, there are so many more people who really are just down on their luck and desperately in need.

But .. I'm a sucker anyway. I always feel horribly guilty if someone asks me for money and I have none on me. Also, in the off chance I do have some on me, I tend to give all of what I have, regardless of whether I need it. I'm an idiot.
Koalas have sharp claws but they are weak. They all small and fat and they be climing trees. I hope a storm just come while theyjust chilling up in the tree thinking they is hard and they're will all just fall off. They just break they neck and shit. When they fall they claws are going to fall off and they going to be crying like some little bitches.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 18 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-30-09 04:28:12 PM)

Quoted from just dandy:
I do, but I pretty much never carry cash. I've stopped and bought a couple of weeks' supply of groceries a few times. Thing is, especially with the unemployment rate and such, there are so many more people who really are just down on their luck and desperately in need.

But .. I'm a sucker anyway. I always feel horribly guilty if someone asks me for money and I have none on me. Also, in the off chance I do have some on me, I tend to give all of what I have, regardless of whether I need it. I'm an idiot.

You aren't an idiot. If everyone had that mentality the world would be a lot better.
My Music Blog
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 19 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-30-09 06:28:08 PM)

Or there would be a lot more drunk hobos.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 20 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-30-09 08:28:23 PM)

I generally don't for most of the aforementioned reasons; lack of money, jaded by experience, etc.

The 'best' story I have is when a woman came up to my open car window while I was at a stop sign and told me that she'd just been raped and needed money for a cab to get home. For one, all I had was about $2 in change in my change cup. Second, I had my cell phone. First I offered to call 911 for her. She said no, that all she wanted was to get home to her family that she needed to feed. So then I offered to give her a ride, which she declined. I offered her some change, but she looks at me like I'm stupid says "Is that all you've got? Well there's an atm right over there." At this point I drove away.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 21 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-30-09 09:11:29 PM)

Quote:
Or there would be a lot more drunk hobos.

If you carried this into other areas of your life it would benefit more than hobos.
3ms
poz_twinkl0rd

Reply 22 of 131 (Originally posted on: 10-30-09 11:28:44 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:

You aren't an idiot. If everyone had that mentality the world would be a lot better.

So what are your experiences with the homeless, Mr. Idealist?
ANIME IS FAG
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 23 of 131 (Originally posted on: 11-01-09 06:35:10 AM)

Homeless people are a riot. Walking around downtown Nashville and Chicago, you can't avoid the inevitable run in with someone. I always give them money when I see them. It doesn't really hamper my plans to lose a few dollars, and at least I know that my heart was in the right place when I gave the money away.

If their desire to eat is greater than their desire to get drunk, they will feed themselves. If they spend the money on booze, so what- it isn't hurting me. At least they are getting some sort of enjoyment out of life. In the winter time whiskey warms you up!
My Music Blog
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 24 of 131 (Originally posted on: 11-01-09 08:08:29 AM)

I never give money to homeless people, or charity, or anything. I can get more utils out of my money elsewhere.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 13919 | Total Posts: 131 ]