Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > In Loving Memory of America > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 3641 | Total Posts: 88 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 10-10-09 07:13:07 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

July 4, 1776 - December 23, 1913

Water cooler conversation quickly went political at work this morning. My supervisor and I were talking about American history and current events, which quickly led to this topic:

What was the pivotal moment when America ceased being the America we learned about in History books? What is making John Hancock roll in his grave?

I thought about it and decided that the founding of the federal reserve was easily the most diabolical thing to happen in the United States.

I will elaborate more, but I am interested in what you guys think...

So?
My Music Blog
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 07:26:17 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

American History isn't my forte, but the War on Drugs seems up there, when it becomes a crime to put something in your own body. I think the first drugs were legalized in the early 20th century but the whole War on Drugs thing really made it worse.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 2 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 08:38:38 AM)

Um there was a federal bank that existed before the reserve that did essentially the same thing. It's been there since the beginning. Andrew Jackson dissolved it without permission when congress was on vacation (they didn't have cell phones back then).

I put my hat in for the Kennedy assassination.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 3 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 08:45:29 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
American History isn't my forte, but the War on Drugs seems up there, when it becomes a crime to put something in your own body. I think the first drugs were legalized in the early 20th century but the whole War on Drugs thing really made it worse.

I tend to think that the war on drugs isn't geared toward the fact that the government wants to limit what we ingest, but rather the effects that the drugs have on society.

Look what happened to China during the opium wars - I think that is a good enough example to make certain substances illegal.

As much of an advocate as I am for the legalization of pot, it scares me to think about the average American being stoned 24/7. As a country, we are already slipping academically and professionally - and pot wouldn't help. Everyone wouldn't adopt my routine (I only smoke at night after completing my daily tasks, work, and whatever other responsibilities I have for the day), that is for sure. I am not sure if I could deal with stoned customer service reps and waitresses.

I like to look at my own life as an example.

6 years ago I was pilled out in a gutter and now I am doing fantastic. The only variables that changed were drug use and my age.
My Music Blog
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 4 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 08:59:27 AM)

Quoted from DrNick:
Um there was a federal bank that existed before the reserve that did essentially the same thing. It's been there since the beginning. Andrew Jackson dissolved it without permission when congress was on vacation (they didn't have cell phones back then).

I put my hat in for the Kennedy assassination.

I was thinking Kennedy as well at first.

Andrew Jackson did dissolve the federal reserve initially, but it sprung back up. Bankers are persistent and use scare tactics to succeed in their goals.

Hatred toward the greenback was enough to get bankers to have Lincoln shot.
My Music Blog
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 5 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 09:56:59 AM)

Quote:
I am not sure if I could deal with stoned customer service reps and waitresses.

Alcohol is legal, but we don't have to deal with drunks all day.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 6 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 10:01:34 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Quote:

It is obvious when someone is drunk. The veteran stoner is not easily picked out of a crowd.
My Music Blog
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 7 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 12:08:51 PM)

I really couldn't see America thriving without a federal backed banking system. Though I don't fully understand what you're eluding to in establishing a date of death for historical America.

The last thing I remember discussing in a high school history class was the gulf war... It's hard to define any of the 2000's. Every decade prior in the 1900's has a distinct feel and easily summed up overtone. But what about now, with the new millennia? That to me could very well be the end of 'history class' America. With the y2k scare to cliff-hang at the end.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 8 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 12:13:07 PM)

If you're seeking the pivotal moment when America stopped being the America the founding fathers might have intended, you wont find one.

Though, if you're looking for a specific era, you have to look earlier than that. I would argue that the period of 1880-1919 really ended the United States as it was intended to be. The founding fathers never desired the country from replicating the British in style and global influence; they considered it a form of outright corruption. Nor did they see America's control of global capitalism a good thing, or the United States being replicated across the world as a good thing. The country was intended to be a shining beacon, in which any other state may admire and join, but which remained distant from international politics.

The US always sought to remain outside the affairs of the rest of the world - to be a country of merchants and farmers - not an empirical power. Beginning in 1880, you had the start of true professional militarism, where militias became less important, and the people themselves less relevant, to soldiers and particularly naval officers. The United States was content (for the most part) to allow the British to control the Seas, so long as American businessmen could operate trade. What changed in 1880? Nothing in the international sphere had changed, the British were still in control of the Seas. However, strategists (as with Mahan) and leading on the example of other states (Germany and Japan in particular), the US government (with the people) decided it was ample time to compete with a navy. This sparked no less an arms race, with the United States as a competitor with Great Britain. The US was falling right into the trap of "European Politics" which the founding fathers abhorred.

At the same time, high tariffs were coupled with financial problems in the US. Those high tariffs were set after the Civil War, and were against the practices of the early United States. The Republicans at the time considered high tariffs important for protecting American industries, yet they also blocked the US off from competition in the markets it had overseas. This would lead, to some sense, to the financial reforms (the gold/silver crisis), and the later introduction of an income tax during Wilson's presidency.

Then of course, in foreign policy, there were several events which (as a cascade effect) changed the course of American policy. The US had run on the concept of Manifest Destiny throughout the 19th century, and that was fine. For the most part, it was a consolidation of continental territory. Ignoring Alaska, subsequent territories acquired by the US were neither on the continent, nor were purchased without war. The United States annexed Hawaii in the late 1890s from a legitimate government. Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Guam followed in 1898. Cuba became a protectorate. Panama became a protectorate in 1901. At the time, the US was deeply involved in China, Japan, South America, the Middle East and South-East Asia. It had essentially become an empire, both in nature and in tactics used against these areas.

The building of the Panama Canal further linked the United States with the welfare of the rest of the world.

I can't say if this is a belief of the founding fathers, but I doubt they intended for big business or interest groups to influence a weak government, in which the United States is. This was always a characteristic of the US, but one which was hardly at conflict prior to 1880. After 1880, both the government and the businesses were fighting, both over tariff issues, but also to what amount of influence the government could have over businesses. Needless to say, with tariffs diminished, these big businesses grew in a short amount of time to be vast multinationals, influencing areas of the world beyond the US. Linking irrevocably their own policies elsewhere to those of the US. This was always true - that merchants were most important in foreign policy - but I don't think the founding fathers truly understood competition as it would end up, nor that competition mixed with late 19th century imperialism would lead to the US government being heavily influenced by the interests of those multinationals (occasionally, not of their own territory). In essence, because a company requires credit to invest in another state, and the structure of the US government facilitates those needs through American investors, American investors became tied to the policies of that other state, and their lobbyists tried to make sure that the inept structure of the government did what they wanted. Don't get me wrong, the US government structure is admirable, but not complete by any means, and in comparison to other structures, is weak by creation. Which, of course, was the founding fathers' intentions.

Either of these policies - both domestic and foreign - made the United States both powerful and prosperous. These are the same policies the founding fathers abhorred and tried to avoid during their tenures. At the same time, if you are an American and you're watching your country become increasingly more powerful and wealthy in comparison to other states, you're going to be proud. You're going to want to see more. People, like last year, wanted to see progress.

Woodrow Wilson represented that to his constituents. His first act was to secure, not create, the Federal Reserve. Which wasn't actually a bad idea at the time. The changing nature of the tariff system, the big business mentality, and further industrialization caused financial panic after panic, the Federal Reserve was intended to decrease the amount of panics. This failed, of course, when within decades the stalled panics compounded into one huge one. In all honesty, this would have been one of the least controversial issues for the founding fathers. It was attempted before twice, once during their lifetimes. The idea that the government might have to step in to assist business is not a new one, nor a bad one. More often than not, if left alone, businesses fluctuate the market far too often to be considered reliable. Prosperity typically grows out of involvement of some sort.

Despite all this, Wilson actually did put a stop to many of the policies of the previous generation. He put a stop to the conflict between big business and government, by setting guidelines as to how businesses should act, and where the government fit. He openly tried to assist big businesses with their labor unions, which were at the apex of blossoming (a world-wide phenomenon).

His foreign policy culminated from a decades old trend, that the United States held treaties with Great Britain over the stability of both states' merchant fleets. Wilson was actually a dove, his predecessors, as with Teddy Roosevelt, actually wanted to intervene in the war. All depending upon the big business, there were mixed desires to either stay out or go into the war, based solely on their own interests. Many businesses had stake in European infrastructure and goods, which were in high demand during the prolonged conflict, but were also at risk of being undermined by the conflict (eg. The rise of the Soviets in Russia, 1917, which nationalized American investments. This would later lead the United States to intervene in Russia throughout the Russian Civil War of 1919-1921.)

When the US entered World War One, most Americans wanted it. Congress wanted it - only 6 senators voted against it. Even early on, the US was on board for Wilson's ideals, which had attempted to position the country in a strong capacity for being a mediator. The tiny little federation on the fringe of civilization, as the founding fathers had seen it, was from this point on a significant world player. More so after WW2.

Throughout Wilson's presidency, he continued the policy of intervention throughout the world - in Mexico, Haiti, Nicaragua. He sought to become a mediator in the Armenian Genocide, brought about in part from his own humanitarian needs, and also that of decades old business interests in the Ottoman Empire (which was on the road to final collapse).

This period - to me - represents the final end to the values that the founding fathers intended - in part - to have for the United States. Not one president is to blame for it all; any event in time is a product of other events. Wilson was a product of Theodore Roosevelt, as much as Roosevelt was a product of his predecessors. Textbooks teach you the "American ideals" as a fallacy, not because they exist the same at the time of the founding fathers, but because they were wise concepts for the time in which they were written. More often than not, they are taught to indoctrinate Americans with American culture, which is build on passive aggressive hostility towards a federal government, than to actually expect you to live those values.

Now what represents the beginning of the end? I would say, look no further than the XYZ affair.
This reply was last edited on 10-10-09 12:27:21 PM by Sunn O))).
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 9 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 01:18:11 PM)

I had indeed forgotten about the XYZ affair. It's amazing the amount of knowledge you forget in your mid twenties. I think you are right Sunny, and I agree with you.
My Music Blog
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 10 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 01:23:27 PM)

America is the same as it's always been, an aristocracy disguised as a democracy. Only the wealthy have meaningful power, and the institutions the founders created to protect the interests of the wealthy (the Senate, for example) are still in place, still performing their role of protecting the interests of those with property (see healthcare drama). The intended role of the US government is to protect private property, and at that it continues to excel. I think the founding fathers would be pleased by the success of their experiment, if a little dismayed at the concessions that had to be made over time (direct election of Senators, the end of slavery, basically everything FDR did).
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 11 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 02:42:11 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
Quoted from Ztolk:
Quote:

It is obvious when someone is drunk. The veteran stoner is not easily picked out of a crowd.

Well then where's the problem? If you can be stoned and do your job while keepin a straight face, where's the beef?

I'm sure people go to work on prozac and xanax all the time.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 12 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 03:01:22 PM)

Quote:
Well then where's the problem? If you can be stoned and do your job while keepin a straight face, where's the beef?

I'm not sure that expression applies in this situation.
-Wandering Idiot
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 13 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 03:47:10 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Quote:

I'm not sure that expression applies in this situation.

I definitely lol'ed

atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 14 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 04:33:05 PM)

Quote:
I think the founding fathers would be pleased by the success of their experiment, if a little dismayed at the concessions that had to be made over time (direct election of Senators, the end of slavery, basically everything FDR did).

Even your vaunted FDR realized that the only way to avert a socialist revolution was to pacify those disaffected workers with concessions from his class every now and then. In fact, I would not be afraid to say that everything he did do in his domestic agenda was to help stem the rising tide of revolutionary socialism developing across the country. From work programs giving otherwise idle people something to do other than foment rebellion, to government hand outs that could earn the goodwill of the masses like Caesar handing out bread, his best work was making people feel like the country was doing better. And, at that, he excelled while waiting in anxious anticipation for a war with Germany and Japan.

But not just any war, I mind you. A just war that could elevate him to the status of some type of heroic defender of democracy and America. But, also, one that could fix the dragging economy and justify a new round of policies to curve most, if not all, criticism of the American free-market system.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 15 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-10-09 07:05:15 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
America is the same as it's always been, an aristocracy disguised as a democracy. Only the wealthy have meaningful power, and the institutions the founders created to protect the interests of the wealthy (the Senate, for example) are still in place, still performing their role of protecting the interests of those with property (see healthcare drama). The intended role of the US government is to protect private property, and at that it continues to excel. I think the founding fathers would be pleased by the success of their experiment, if a little dismayed at the concessions that had to be made over time (direct election of Senators, the end of slavery, basically everything FDR did).
agreed.
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 16 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 04:26:29 AM)

The civil war, when the north won.
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 17 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 12:50:43 PM)

The Espionage Act Of 1917.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 18 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 01:16:19 PM)

I love how idealized the original United States is. The Founding Fathers were a bunch of 18th century people, and you guys are hilarious.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 19 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 01:20:09 PM)

Quoted from Believe in Change:
[quote]I would not be afraid to say that everything he did do in his domestic agenda was to help stem the rising tide of revolutionary socialism developing across the country.
He was definitely a collaborationist
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reply 20 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 03:53:15 PM)

Quoted from szaukjkjit:
I love how idealized the original United States is. The Founding Fathers were a bunch of 18th century people, and you guys are hilarious.

I love how you find fault with everything. Must be a lonely life...
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 21 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 04:26:44 PM)

Quoted from Stoffel:
Awww, how cute. He's rationalizing as a means of justifying his own ignorance. Adorable! *pinches cheeks*
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reply 22 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 05:15:23 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from Stoffel:
Awww, how cute. He's rationalizing as a means of justifying his own ignorance. Adorable! *pinches cheeks*

Ignorance of what exactly?
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 23 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-11-09 08:48:54 PM)

Seriously? Of all people, you're going to ask me what Stoffel is ignorant of? He's easily one of the most anti-intellectual members of this forum. The fact that he believes that he's warranted in accusing someone of being lonely for finding faults with things, implying that his own personal, self-proclaimed non-loneliness is a function of his not finding faults with things is enough to warrant ignorance. Especially, considering that it's clear that he doesn't find faults with certain things (particularly in this thread) because he's not informed about any of them beyond a sixth grade level.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 24 of 88 (Originally posted on: 10-12-09 01:51:37 AM)

Quoted from Stoffel:
Quoted from szaukjkjit:

I love how you find fault with everything.

Well yes, nothing is perfect. Particularly not 18th century states big on slavery where only rich men could vote.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3641 | Total Posts: 88 ]