Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Internet Killswitch (Hope and Change) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1811 | Total Posts: 37 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 09-02-09 02:23:40 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Rather than posting the bill here in its entirety, I have posted a link to it.

Big Brother <3

Quoted from The Bill's Official Summary:
Cybersecurity Act of 2009 - Directs the President to establish or designate a Cybersecurity Advisory Panel to advise the President. Defines "cyber" as:
(1) any process, program, or protocol relating to the use of the Internet or an intranet, automatic data processing or transmission, or telecommunication via the Internet or an intranet; and
(2) any matter relating to, or involving the use of, computers or computer networks. Directs the Secretary of Commerce to:
(1) develop and implement a system to provide cybersecurity status and vulnerability information regarding all federal information systems and networks managed by the Department of Commerce; and
(2) provide financial assistance for the creation and support of Regional Cybersecurity Centers for small and medium sized U.S. businesses. Requires the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to establish cybersecurity standards for all federal government, government contractor, or grantee critical infrastructure information systems and networks. Makes NIST responsible for U.S. representation in all international cybersecurity standards development. Directs the Secretary to develop or coordinate a national licensing, certification, and recertification program for cybersecurity professionals and makes it unlawful to provide certain cybersecurity services without being licensed and certified. Requires Advisory Panel approval for renewal or modification of a contract related to the operation of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. Requires development of a strategy to implement a secure domain name addressing system. Requires the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support specified types of research and to establish a program of grants to higher education institutions to establish cybersecurity testbeds. Amends the Cybersecurity Research and Development Act to expand the purposes of an existing program of computer and network security research grants. Requires the NSF to establish a Federal Cyber Scholarship-for-Service program. Requires NIST to establish cybersecurity competitions and challenges to recruit talented individuals for the federal information technology workforce and stimulate innovation. Requires the Department of Commerce to serve as the clearinghouse of cybersecurity threat and vulnerability information. Grants the Secretary access to all relevant data concerning such networks notwithstanding any law or policy restricting access. Directs the President to:
(1) develop and implement a comprehensive national cybersecurity strategy;
(2) on a quadrennial basis, complete a review of the cyber posture of the United States; and
(3) work with representatives of foreign governments to develop norms, organizations, and other cooperative activities for international engagement to improve cybersecurity. Requires the Director of National Intelligence and the Secretary of Commerce to submit to Congress an annual report on cybersecurity threats to and vulnerabilities of critical national information, communication, and data network infrastructure. Establishes a Secure Products and Services Acquisitions Board to review and approve high value products and services acquisition and establish validation standards for software to be acquired by the federal government.

This bill gives the President the power to completely deactivate the internet as he sees fit, pending the approval of a self appointed committee. My guess is that after seeing the Middle East's inability to keep the wraps on the protest of their election scandal, Obama decided we needed a fail safe.

Quoted from S773:
A proposed Senate bill would give President Obama emergency control of the Internet, potentially allowing him to shut down all online traffic by seizing private networks in the event of a “cyber-emergency.

Unfortunately cyber emergency is undefined in any context in this bill, thus giving him the ability to define it to suit his needs. Cyber emergency could mean pulling the plug on Twitter in the event of an internet protest. Cyber emergency could be pulling the plug on Infowars. Cyber emergency could mean pulling the plug on INTL because we are so badass he is losing steam in the popularity polls.

Say goodbye to our last true channel of free speech. In America we have true freedom and democracy as long as freedom and democracy are open to interpretation and do not interfere with big business or elitist goals for oligarchical control.

Edit: I forgot to add that this bill was introduced by Senator John Rockefeller.

"We are on the verge of a global transformation. All we need is the right major crisis and the nation will accept the New World Order." — David Rockefeller

"...to shape a New World Order..." — Nelson Rockefeller

"We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during these years. But the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government...The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable..." — David Rockefeller

My Music Blog
This reply was last edited on 09-02-09 02:53:44 PM by Nickolati.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 02:26:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I love the internet.

flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 2 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 03:38:22 PM)

We just got set up the bomb.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 3 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 05:29:41 PM)

shit's still coming out about Bush and Cheney torturing people and detaining American citizens for years at a time and you're worried about a bill proposed by some idiot from West Virginia that isn't even out of committee yet?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 4 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 06:04:43 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
shit's still coming out about Bush and Cheney torturing people and detaining American citizens for years at a time and you're worried about a bill proposed by some idiot from West Virginia that isn't even out of committee yet?

Did I say that Ice?

The Misadventures of Bush and Cheney are old hat at this point - not to say that prosecuting them isn't important, but the purpose of this thread was to show new legislation.

I do find this bill very disturbing, as should you.
My Music Blog
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 5 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 06:36:15 PM)

Quote:
I do find this bill very disturbing, as should you.

Ice's opinion about our president and your criticism of him can be easily summed up in this, Nickolati:

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 6 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 06:45:58 PM)

Vader eventually threw the Emperor down a tube full of force lightning and death. I'll take it.
My Music Blog
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 7 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 07:15:22 PM)

The internet is a series of tube. Ipso facto, the only way to stop obama is by throwing him down the internet. Am I right, or am I right?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 8 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 07:15:59 PM)

First computer manufacturers were going to be forced to make them into glorified playback machines, then ISPs were going to sell how fast a sight loads to the highest bidder, and now this. None of it happened or will.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 9 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 07:29:43 PM)

Yeah, the thing is that this bill will never make it out of committee. My opinion of this bill is unrelated to my opinion of Obama. In fact it's pretty dumb to even associate Obama with this bill, he didn't propose it or write it or anything.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 10 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 07:40:32 PM)

I'm shocked it took until post 5 for Obama to be mentioned, and slightly more shocked that it took ice until post 9 to start defending him.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 11 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 08:01:32 PM)

Ice is just a pretentious hippy.

I literally would have to give my life to defend Obama; all he has to do is lick his ass hole on an anonymous Internet board and in his stylish clique of liberal friends.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 12 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 08:42:29 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Yeah, the thing is that this bill will never make it out of committee. My opinion of this bill is unrelated to my opinion of Obama. In fact it's pretty dumb to even associate Obama with this bill, he didn't propose it or write it or anything.

He wouldn't veto the bill.
My Music Blog
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 13 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-02-09 09:31:56 PM)

... It's just the internet.

edit: Also, how would you 'deactivate the internet'? That sound's completely stupid and maybe pointless.
This reply was last edited on 09-02-09 09:38:42 PM by goatsnacks.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 14 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-03-09 01:34:36 AM)

Quoted from Amphy:
I'm shocked it took until post 5 for Obama to be mentioned, and slightly more shocked that it took ice until post 9 to start defending him.
The Internet Killswitch (Hope and Change)

Quote:
I literally would have to give my life to defend Obama; all he has to do is lick his ass hole on an anonymous Internet board and in his stylish clique of liberal friends.

again, this bill is retarded, but it won't get anywhere, and it's stupid to relate this bill to Obama because he had nothing to do with it.

Quote:

He wouldn't veto the bill.

the bill won't even be voted on.
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 15 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-03-09 07:56:29 AM)

Sounds like a bill written by someone who doesn't quite understand the internet entirely.

Like that movie The Core. Gotta hack the entire world wide web man.
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 16 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-03-09 08:34:59 AM)

That is simply one provision of the bill. What worries me more is his ability to seize private networks and do so with no regard for the law. This is basically the cyber patriot act.
My Music Blog
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 17 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 01:40:43 PM)

Yeah I don't see this getting out of committee. Too many people would it oppose it and all the old farts in congress are too ignorant of the internet to understand it enough to control it.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 18 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 01:56:00 PM)

is obama gonna arrest me for downloading the lil weezy album??
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 19 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 02:29:52 PM)

Quoted from t:
is obama gonna arrest me for downloading the lil weezy album??

He's going to "detain*" you for "questioning**" and then transfer you to a "temporary holding facility***" outside the country.

*kidnap
**waterboarding
***secret CIA prison in krfuckitstan
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 02:50:57 PM)

I keep thinking Obama is his first name
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 21 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 04:49:40 PM)

Like OSAMA!!!1
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 22 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 05:23:07 PM)

I actually agree with ice on this, between the house and the senate their are some crazy shits on both sides of the isle, they can propose what ever bills they want. It doesn't reflect on the president himself

That being said, this crazy "address the school kids of American", personality cult bullshit needs to stop.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 23 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 06:10:49 PM)

Quoted from Muzta:
I actually agree with ice on this, between the house and the senate their are some crazy shits on both sides of the isle, they can propose what ever bills they want. It doesn't reflect on the president himself

That being said, this crazy "address the school kids of American", personality cult bullshit needs to stop.

The address to the school kids of the world is somewhat disturbing, and when combined with H.R. 2857 (The GIVE Act) starts to sound a lot like Hitler youth.

The only point I was trying to make is that this is indeed fucked up legislation.

This doesn't reflect on Obama - yet. He will indeed sign off on the bill if it passes the house and senate, just like GWB did with the Patriot Act. It is just so unsettling for me.

I think it is a safe bet that everyone agrees that national news networks are a fucking joke. They report what they are told to report, and nothing more. This bill will indirectly give the government the ability to censor websites. If they don't respond accordingly, the government would have the power to shut them down if they deem it a threat.

Personally, I would rather my last reliable source for information remain untainted.

People need to stand up and display their discontent. We are going to wake up and find ourselves in a communist state where free enterprise is a thing of the past. Under the guise of social programs we will be given a place to live, told where we can go for medical attention and where we can do our banking. It isn't right.
My Music Blog
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 24 of 37 (Originally posted on: 09-04-09 07:14:33 PM)

Between this and the "report a friend" thing, the WH has done a really poor job of assuaging the 1984 crowd, and has people like me sitting up a little straighter
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1811 | Total Posts: 37 ]