Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > INTL Frontpage/Blog testrun > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1713 | Total Posts: 33 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 08-15-09 01:31:10 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Since I stayed in tonight, I figured I'd better have a couple drinks and do something productive. So I took a little bit of initiative on this frontpage idea.

Thanks to goatstack's suggestion, I set up a Wordpress account and modified a pre-made theme to look like an INTL theme (took a while being that i've never really used CSS).

http://dimi.interestingnonetheless.net/wordpress/

Theres a few things that need tweaking that maybe someone a little better with CSS could help me out with at some point, but as of right now it's not that urgent.

Help me make some test posts! Go to the link above and in the bottom right corner, hit "Register." Right now I have it set so that once you register you automatically become an author. Please register with your INTL username. Then make a test post. If all you want to say is "TEST!!" thats fine but it would help if you posted something similar to what you will want to post when the actual frontpage launches, to make sure this can work the way you are going to need it to work.

Thanks!
D
Administrator

Reply 1 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 02:34:55 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Currently trying to figure out a way to make it only show a summary on the front page, rather then the whole post.

Also added a plugin so that you can easily link any blog entry to a bunch of social network sites:

Print Digg Sphinn del.icio.us Facebook Mixx Google BarraPunto Bitacoras.com BlinkList blogmarks BlogMemes Fr BlogMemes Sp Blogosphere News blogtercimlap co.mments connotea Current Design Float Diigo DotNetKicks DZone eKudos email Fark Faves Fleck FriendFeed FSDaily Global Grind Gwar HackerNews Haohao HealthRanker HelloTxt Hemidemi Hyves Identi.ca IndianPad Internetmedia Kirtsy laaik.it LinkaGoGo LinkArena LinkedIn Linkter Live Meneame MisterWong MisterWong.DE MSNReporter muti MyShare MySpace N4G Netvibes Netvouz NewsVine NuJIJ PDF Ping.fm Posterous ppnow Propeller Ratimarks Rec6 Reddit RSS Scoopeo Segnalo Simpy Slashdot Socialogs SphereIt StumbleUpon Symbaloo Techmeme Technorati ThisNext Tipd Tumblr Twitter Twitthis Upnews Webnews.de Webride Wikio Wikio FR Wikio IT Wists Wykop Xerpi Yahoo! Bookmarks YahooBuzz Yigg
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 2 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 04:47:35 AM)

I submitted some stuff but my comic didn't go in the comic directory.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 3 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 06:13:27 AM)

awesome!

just a couple things though, did you activate akismet? it should been bundled in the plug-ins. It's a very good tool if there is to be a comment system of any kind.

Also I've found 'add to any' to be a better plug in for sharing post/pages.

For the front page you could put a template up that would be like a grid showing all of the categories. What theme is that based off of? There may already be a template in the files to use.

Anyhow, I'm surprised you got that up so fast! Ever since I started messing with wordpress it's been quite the ride figuring out php/css.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 09:51:06 AM)

Just tried posting something. This looks pretty neat. When it really gets going, it might be an idea to have categories for "Twitter"-ish updates and then a minimum word quantity for main updates, if that makes sense.
how is this for a quote
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 5 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 10:40:20 AM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
Just tried posting something. This looks pretty neat. When it really gets going, it might be an idea to have categories for "Twitter"-ish updates and then a minimum word quantity for main updates, if that makes sense.

I registered and will try it out soon...

I agree with Hasty.
My Music Blog
D
Administrator

Reply 6 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 01:53:11 PM)

Quoted from Greedo:
awesome!

just a couple things though, did you activate akismet? it should been bundled in the plug-ins. It's a very good tool if there is to be a comment system of any kind.

For the front page you could put a template up that would be like a grid showing all of the categories. What theme is that based off of? There may already be a template in the files to use.

Anyhow, I'm surprised you got that up so fast! Ever since I started messing with wordpress it's been quite the ride figuring out php/css.

Thanks for all the help goatstack, i'll give all this stuff a try!

Hasty: I'll see if it's possible. Maybe I can make a new category (tweets or something) and somehow set it so that those don't go on the frontpage.

edit: I just noticed your comment, nickolati, was listed as "pending" and I had to approve it.. I'll see if I can turn on some auto-approve function or something.
D
Administrator

Reply 7 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 03:00:38 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
Quoted from Greedo:
awesome!

Thanks for all the help goatstack, i'll give all this stuff a try!

Hasty: I'll see if it's possible. Maybe I can make a new category (tweets or something) and somehow set it so that those don't go on the frontpage.

edit: I just noticed your comment, nickolati, was listed as "pending" and I had to approve it.. I'll see if I can turn on some auto-approve function or something.

• I removed 'Sociable' and added 'add to any'
  • I made a new category for the twitter style updates, "Twizzles." They don't show up on the front page, but you can access them on the top-bar or on the right.
  • There was a limit saying first time commentors had to be approved, I changed that. Anyone can comment.
  • Activated Askimet. What does it do, just block spam?
  • Added a plugin that makes pictures and videos show up in the previews.
  • Added an RS category which also doesn't show up on the frontpage. Access by hovering over INTL at the top.

Also, I don't know what you mean by this
    Quote:

I'm using Moonlight 1.4

Question for Sunny/Sandy/Coding people: Would it be possible/would you be willing to create some kind of plugin for wordpress to bridge to INTL?

Basically what i'm thinking is, at the end of each entry there is a button (similar to the one thats there now that says Share/Save). You click the button to start a thread about the entry, and it gives you an option of which forum to make the thread in. All the button does is link you to the create a new thread page (in whatever forum) at INTL, and possible quotes the contents of the blog entry.. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do, but I have no idea.
    This reply was last edited on 08-15-09 03:38:04 PM by D.
  • Ryan
    Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
    Reg. Date: Nov 2006
    Reply 8 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 05:31:07 PM)

Just putting this out there, but Drupal is probably a better solution than Wordpress for the frontpage. I use Wordpress for my website, but it has limits.

Drupal is nice because in theory you could integrate it with the forum (with the help of Sandy or Sunny). It's not too much different in terms of the learning curve of Wordpress.

I *might* be able to help, but it's doubtful I will have the time.
    ‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
    ‹Purple› If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
    ‹just dandy› ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
    goatsnacks
    Administrators

Reply 9 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-15-09 06:39:41 PM)

Askimet is basically a spam filter, yes. It works like a ninja which is nice.

For the front page... I was referring to the fact that it's design is basically like a blog setup that just shows a list of the most recently posted, without regard to category. Where-as I'd think a front page for INTL would be more magazine oriented with different categories listed with excerpts from the most recent post (or last 3 posts).

hmm I hadn't heard of Drupal until you posted it soccy... looks pretty nice.
    poop
    $$~~~Crips~~~$$
    slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
    Reply 10 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-16-09 03:59:51 AM)

Yea, while the premise is definately what I was saying, I was thinking something more along the lines of what Google News looks like. Each category or subsection has its own box than can be sorted and arranged by the user, sort of like a magazine like Greedo was talkin about.

Seems a bit harder to set up, admittedly.
    D
    Administrator

Reply 11 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-16-09 02:28:24 PM)

Yeah you gotta bear with me I have no idea what i'm doing here. I still don't really understand the difference between whats up and what Greedo is saying.
    goatsnacks
    Administrators

Reply 12 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-16-09 06:20:31 PM)

I hope the drawing helps! See this way if someone wants to see what the most recent post is for a certain category its right there on the front page. The layout I've illustrated isn't that difficult to do, actually. But the idea of having the user decide which categories to display on the front page sounds like a coding nightmare.
    D
    Administrator

Reply 13 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-16-09 06:25:00 PM)

aaah I see. That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure we're going to have enough participation to justify that kind of set up, though, considering barely anyone has even replied to this test-run thread or signed up to post a test post.
    poop
    $$~~~Crips~~~$$
    slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
    Reply 14 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-17-09 04:36:01 AM)

Yea that's what I was imagining too.
    Guy Tuttle and Ass
    Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
    Reply 15 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-17-09 02:42:52 PM)

can you embed an rss feed from another site? I have a tumblr
    Nickolati
    ...moved to Idaho?

Reply 16 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-17-09 04:51:18 PM)

posted newest entry from my music blog on frontpage. it's actually easy to work with. This should be fun. Good job dimi!
    My Music Blog
    D
    Administrator

Reply 17 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-17-09 06:58:19 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
    can you embed an rss feed from another site? I have a tumblr

Don't really know how RSS works, but i'll try and look into it when I get a chance. If not, would you consider copy/pasting your updates into this?

The update looks great Nicko! Just as a note, to embed youtube videos (or from anywhere else) and other things, you have to put it into the HTML. In the edit box on the top right, there is a tab for HTML.

Hasty Penguin
    get in the box
    People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
    Reply 18 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 07:54:04 AM)

The layout is okay, but the only way that I think I can post things is by going through the Site Admin on the menu on the right hand side of the page. Is there any way to direct link to a posting feature as opposed to giving everyone the ability to screw something up accidentally?
    how is this for a quote
    Guy Tuttle and Ass
    Global Moderator

Reply 19 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 10:49:28 AM)

hey dimi, I found this:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tumblr-widget-for-wordpress/
    D
    Administrator

Reply 20 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 11:02:16 AM)

Ok I added it ice. Give me the link to your page.

Everyone else also give me links to your blogs and I'm going to see if I can hook them all up to automatically feed into ours.

Hasty: I'll look into that, but I think the Site Admin button is just mislabeled. You're all listed as "Authors" not admins so I don't think you guys have the power to accidentally screw something up. Just make new posts and edit them I suppose.

Guy Tuttle and Ass
    Global Moderator

Reply 21 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 11:56:15 AM)

friscopaint.tumblr.com
    Nickolati
    ...moved to Idaho?

Reply 22 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 01:00:21 PM)

www.nickolati.blogspot.com
    My Music Blog
    goatsnacks
    Administrators

Reply 23 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 05:41:12 PM)

If you'd like I can syndicate post from my site?
    Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
    Reg. Date: Aug 2006
    Reply 24 of 33 (Originally posted on: 08-18-09 08:34:22 PM)

http://orehcinoryb.blogspot.com/

welp, that's my blog. the 1 ppy average is quite astounding.
    Quick Reply
    Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
    [ Thread Views: 1713 | Total Posts: 33 ]