Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > A front page for INTL > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2286 | Total Posts: 37 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 08-05-09 04:09:55 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

What we need are contributions from you guys:

These can be articles written concerning current events. These can be satire or as cynical as you want them - just don't violate the TOS.

Comics - Paging Hasty Penguin!

Flash - Paging Ztolk!

Photos - Paging Purple/Amphy

Anyone can contribute!

Who would be willing to help out?

What can you contribute?
My Music Blog
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 06:04:52 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So I went on a spiel about this with Nickolati in the chat, and here's my best recollection of what I said:

So we've tried this whole INTL frontpage idea a few times before, and it never really worked out the way we wanted it to. There weren't alot of contributers, and perhaps the people who did contribute were actually pretty lame and didn't realize it at the time (sry guys :(). The idea of trying it again with the same, or at least similar premise is suicidal, I would venture to guess.

And then I started thinking, what sites out there are actually popular now among pretty much everybody? The Youtubes, Facebooks, Myspaces, Twitters, Blogs....It all has the same general appeal of an admittedly self-serving social outlet.

So I'm not sure how many of you guys have twitters and blogs, but I was sort of envisioning a frontpage that capitalizes on the appeal of the social networking thing and has a simple series of [i]arrangeable[/i] boxes linking to individual intl users that display live updates to our twitters, youtube favorites, facebook updates, etc along with other features like that. It would be a good outlet for people to show off their photography, comics, flash videos and all the things you said, but also provide people with one more place to go to when there at work and feel like saying "fuck you world" or "im drnunk as fcuk" in a blog-like setting, with the illusion of somebody out there listening. I'm sure snowy's square full of naked boobies and funny youtube videos would be quite popular.

I donno, I was just thinking of ways of getting everybody involved in the effort, however lame it may be.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 07:28:57 PM)

So tart, is this page of yours a site that easily links/presents everyone's youtube/twitter/facebook/flickr updates, or is it just a totally different site where you can up anything you feel like?
D
Administrator

Reply 3 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 07:32:10 PM)

What if there was a feature that when you were creating a new thread, you could click a checkbox that automatically put it on the frontpage.

That way you could write a nice 'article' about how the monkey spit in your face during your trip to the zoo, and it could still be a regular thread in the Bitching Battleground. You'd be expected to put it together a little nicer then you would your average thread, but the pressure isn't on too much. I know I never wrote any articles for the old frontpage, but I would be a lot more inclined to if it was more like a 'highlighted thread' then strictly an 'article' or 'frontpage posting.'
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 4 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 07:39:46 PM)

My Facebook page serves as a home to a collection of stupid and nonsensical short stories and sentences. Additionally, there are (soon to be) over 150 haikus that follow the 5-7-5 syllable rule as opposed to having any haiku-like content.

I've been drawing a bunch of cartoons and have developed a new cast of generally silly characters. I don't have a scanner set up at the moment, but I will by the first week of September and have about 20 odd old "Marmadukes" until then.

I've been in favour of this for a long time, despite its continual struggle. The photos always seemed like a good idea. Take us on a tour of your locale/a trip/your attic/lego creations/whatever.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 5 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 07:44:41 PM)

I like it.. lets get it moving
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 6 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 07:51:14 PM)

If anyone is willing to code it, I will be fully able to facilitate your assistance. Sandy and I bounced around this idea when we were working on INTL5, but felt a little turned off from it given that all three previous incarnations died horrible deaths.

As for linking to INTL, it wouldn't be a bad idea, but any coding of that sort would require Sandy's more advanced hands.
D
Administrator

Reply 7 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 08:07:42 PM)

I'm handy with HTML and graphic editing but beyond that i'm pretty useless.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 8 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 09:34:30 PM)

I am good to contribute, but that is about it. I am rather stupid at anything to do with code.
My Music Blog
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 9 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 04:20:12 AM)

I haven't read this thread yet because it's early, but I feel like it'd be more of a backpage than a frontpage. IE something for INTL members to share inside jokes.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 10 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 10:58:38 AM)

I have a street art tumblr that could be incorporated into the front page
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 11 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 03:11:41 PM)

I just made a facebook album about ligers and tigons I could port over.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 12 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 03:24:49 PM)

Quoted from Chewbacca:
I haven't read this thread yet because it's early, but I feel like it'd be more of a backpage than a frontpage. IE something for INTL members to share inside jokes.

Yea this is sort of what I was implying with my post. Instead of trying to make a page that will appeal to newcomers....why don't we make a community space where everybody can share all their stuff with each other. Hopefully it will be something that will appeal to the people that are already here.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 13 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 03:50:47 PM)

I could port stuff from my music blog.
My Music Blog
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 14 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 06:21:44 PM)

I could post some weekly recipes or something, I'm in culinary school now and would love to share my new finds as I'm always on the hunt for new things to make.

I'm just completely useless when it comes to coding and shit, but if someone makes me a little section I'd totally be down.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 15 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 06:25:34 PM)

For all of you that have blogs.. is there any reason this couldn't be your primary blog?

Instead of your generic blogspot or blogpress, is it possible to link people to your blog here? Which would also link them to everybody else's blogs, and maybe finally to the INTL forums? Maybe even provide the opportunity for generic people to create their own blogs here.

blogspot.com/nickolati isn't near a cool a blog as one starting with interestingnonetheless.net/nickolati. i'm a serial-killer :)

Having a front page isn't a bad thing, and I honestly never knew why people felt ours HAD to come down, or why it HAD to have constantly updated articles or something. Going to interestingnonetheless.net brings you to a frontpage, forums.interestingnonetheles.net brings you to the forums. And especially if people did agree to treat INTL as a primary blog, it would provide its own updates. This is infinitely expanded if people linked it to their Facebook, MySpace, whatever else you guys have.
D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 07:34:48 PM)

I completely agree. I'd probably restart my countries of the world blog.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 17 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-06-09 08:00:19 PM)

Put up the wiki.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 18 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-08-09 01:26:35 PM)

This is a cool idea. It's about time we tried something like this here at INTL.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 19 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-09-09 06:20:41 AM)

IF my sites RSS feed could be shamelessly ported over here I wouldn't mind kekeke u give soj??? I update it regularly.

Also so we're all wanting a sort of 'google homepage' design? The coding for that doesn't actually seem that difficult. Just a .css, a index.php and maybe an admin.php.
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 20 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-10-09 07:25:42 PM)

The idea of blogs, and the like, and linking facebooks, and twitters are ideas I could get on top of.
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-10-09 07:34:14 PM)

So if Sandamnit doesn't feel like coding this junk, is there anyone else who can/is willing?
Dong Kollector Jax
INTL Dick Twisters

[CEMETARY MAN (1994) SPOILERS]

Ballkicks: (+136 / -33)
Reg. Date: Feb 2009
Reply 22 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-11-09 06:07:10 PM)

This has a chance of overbloating things, I think. We just have to try it and see.
I'm too lazy to look up the banner size limits, so I will display the tiniest one possible.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 23 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-11-09 07:43:57 PM)

Put back up all my front page articles
bradism.
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 37 (Originally posted on: 08-12-09 01:14:14 AM)

Too much content isn't exactly a bad problem.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2286 | Total Posts: 37 ]