Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > I collect business cards (and how you can benefit)! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2932 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 07-29-09 09:58:03 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

For the past few years, I have been going around and picking up business cards wherever I go. I have also asked people on vacations to get business cards for me and such.

I now have well over 500 business cards from across Ontario, British Columbia, Spain, Kentucky, California, Nunavut, and a few other places. Private business cards, mock business cards, lawyers, dancers, cellists, DJs, golf academies, restaurants, clubs, pharmacies, garden centres, hardware stores - it doesn't matter.

What I'd like is for you fine folks from INTL to mail me a bunch of business cards from where YOU live. If it's a business card, I would like it.

I figured, if I'm going to ask you to do this, I should do something in return. Some of you know that I do some (non-professional whatsoever) cartoons. For each business card you send, I will draw a page of cartoons and mail it to you. So, if you send 25 business cards (spend an hour downtown or at a mall!), I'll send you a 25 to 50-page (notebook pages) comic book. Regardless of how many you send, I will write you a 10-page comic book, and then for anything beyond, I'll add a page or two. It might be coloured, black & white, done in crayon... it will be a surprise! This would be my preferred gift back to you, should you choose to participate.

Or, if in return, you would like me to do something (very reasonable, of course) for the forums or in real life, I will do what I can to accomodate that as well. I put in a few hours of community service for an email interview earlier this year, so something like that is considered reasonable. Other easy examples might be a mix CD, a newspaper collage, a poem/short story, sculpture from household products, a short recording, etc. For some things, you may not want to receive something in the mail, so if it's something I can take a picture of and post to the forums (for example), I will do my best to try that.

If you are interested in helping, post in this thread and I will PM you my address, unless I feel really uncomfortable about it...

You may also use this thread to make requests for things I can do in return for business cards.

Hopefully this will be fun.
how is this for a quote
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 10:33:36 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I throw away tons business cards every time I go through a large stack of paperwork. I just use them for contact information on whatever I was inspecting that day. I'll start setting aside a stack for you and just PM me in a few months to remind me to mail them out.
Too lazy to reply properly.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 10:58:20 AM)

Out of curiosity, why are you collecting business cards? My uncle used to do the same exact thing and I never really fully understood. Although, to be fair, I guess it's really no different than collecting coins or stamps.

Also, I'll try to collect some, if I think of it. I usually throw away business cards as soon as I get them.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 11:30:15 AM)

Hmm. Let me see what I can do!
My Music Blog
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 11:47:35 AM)

Isn't the point of collecting something that you yourself find and collect it? Doesn't it defeat the purpose to have people give them to you?
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 12:33:50 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Isn't the point of collecting something that you yourself find and collect it? Doesn't it defeat the purpose to have people give them to you?

Ditto to that. I collect coins and interesting rocks and the whole point is that I found them. I wouldn't buy coins or stones off eBay/Amazon/whatever for my collection. Each item has got a story about how I found it and that's part of why I like collecting.

But whatever, more power to you. If I find some business cards I'll drop you a line. I got a bunch in my wallet I should go through.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 01:01:59 PM)

I disagree that a collection should only be things you find. Depends on why you're collecting. If you like having things from all over the world, and only take things you find, you're collection will probably suck.

I'll see what I can get for you.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 03:32:50 PM)

Where should we send these? I passed by one today and thought of you. big grin
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 07:22:39 PM)

give me a pm with your addy.

I need to clean my wallet out, its about an inch thick with business cards.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-29-09 08:52:10 PM)

I'm in. Although most of the business cards are wedding photography related and probably car dealership related.
‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
‹Purple› If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
‹just dandy› ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-30-09 07:25:01 AM)

PMs sent. I sent one to ice, too, because I'm dumb (if you join in, that'd be neat, though). Let me know what you guys would like in return if different than what I'm already doing.

Quoted from take it sleazy:

I'd agree with that on the music front, but for business cards, not really. Odds are, I won't visit more than a few States in my lifetime, unfortunately. I haven't even been to one yet - and as far as stories go, "I got this one from a bisexual ex-con from Alaska" beats "I walked into a dentist's office in Alaska and took this off the front counter". Sure, finding a California University professor's card in a novel from the library is interesting, but having someone from a far distance send something generally unattainable to me is more interesting to me.

I've been collecting business cards because they're easy to collect and because I find them interesting. I've used them to look for places to eat, and once or twice for job applications, but mostly I just collect them with the hopes that there's something unique like a phone number or tic-tac-toe game written on it (I don't call the numbers, it just makes the card individual). Some of them give discounts to the stores, too - Neurotica, a music store in Toronto has a 10% discount with a purchase where you show them the business card, which is pretty neat.
how is this for a quote
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-30-09 09:04:33 AM)

flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 07-30-09 09:36:23 AM)

That's my kind of business.
D
Administrator

Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 08-05-09 07:38:52 PM)

I'm so accustomed to ignoring business cards that I keep forgetting to start collecting them for you.. Theres one at work that I see every day that I keep forgetting to grab.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-07-14 11:31:15 AM)

do you still do this hasty? I have a ton of useless business cards I could send to you.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-07-14 01:35:51 PM)

Hasty I could mail you my business card. :-)
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-07-14 02:34:34 PM)

Me too. I printed a bunch of them a couple of years ago and haven't given out a single one yet.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-07-14 03:04:39 PM)

Since 2010, I've had 3 different advisors who neglected to include me when ordering business cards printed and then have gotten mad at me for not having business cards when I got to conferences and things. Sorry, I got none hasty!
balls
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-07-14 05:34:00 PM)

I still have like 475 of the initial order I placed 2 years ago.

Business cards are stupid.
"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame the gays than let orphans have families."
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-07-14 06:38:39 PM)

This past week I handed out my business card to a customer who I was trying to help and he called in a complaint about me because I refused to break the law for him. What a jerkface.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-08-14 09:43:50 AM)

I have not been as avid a collector of business cards, but I still do collect them, so if you actually want to send a bunch to me, I will let you know my mailing address.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-08-14 09:46:47 AM)

I still owe you a mixtape, which is totally finished and I listen to my own copy in the car sometimes.
balls
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-08-14 10:23:32 AM)

lol
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-08-14 01:57:59 PM)

I need to purchase another blank CD-R. I have only one, which is why I have not sent mine out yet. For the past year or whatever. Hopefully you both will have your copies by January. My evenings are mostly free, so I just need to find a place relatively close by that has them for sale.
how is this for a quote
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-08-14 02:09:17 PM)

I'll mail you one, haha
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2932 | Total Posts: 35 ]