Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > There are other forums besides this one! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3724 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-16-09 07:34:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Often times it seems that if it isn't posted here, it doesn't get read. Make it a point to check the other forums and try to contribute.

I think it is safe to say that everyone here likes music and art, so create a thread about your favorite band or artist in PP. So what if it only gets 1 or 2 posts, you just might expose someone to something new that they have never heard before. I check that forum daily, and I'm tired of not seeing anything new there.

I can't say a lot for the other forums because they are extremely specific, but I know EVERYONE that posts here has something that they could contribute to PP.
My Music Blog
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-16-09 08:01:56 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I KNOW EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ONE OF YOU WEARS CLOTHES.

POST IN MY FUCKING FORUM.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-16-09 08:50:50 PM)

I check PP and GC every time there is a new post.. I just rarely have anything to say in response
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-16-09 09:40:04 PM)

Maybe if we didn't have 37 different subforums then everything wouldn't be so diluted and there wouldn't be month old posts on the front page of ID.

Oh and we also wouldn't need 50 moderators either.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-16-09 09:53:19 PM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
Maybe if we didn't have 37 different subforums then everything wouldn't be so diluted and there wouldn't be month old posts on the front page of ID.

I've never understood why forums gravitate towards sub-forums
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 12:45:53 AM)

pssh fuck ID

RS and the Arena is where the party is
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 06:02:15 AM)

Quoted from Muzta:

Because forummers are too "in the box" sort of thinkers and if we don't have those forums, those topics don't get posted about.

And we've been working on cutting down on staff. Two admins were removed, a couple mods, and I think emtilt and antpocas are next on the chopping block. Don't think we got enough feedback on that one. In the C/S thread.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 01:45:53 PM)

6 =! 37

on a related note
6 =! 50

C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 01:56:08 PM)

and as my first official act as moderator i will drive the people away with such force that they void their bowels.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 04:39:09 PM)

I wish I had the power to make people shit their pants over the internet. That would be amazing.
My Music Blog
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 05:09:23 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
Quoted from Muzta:

Because forummers are too "in the box" sort of thinkers and if we don't have those forums, those topics don't get posted about.

That raises the obvious question, are those topics posted about now?
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
IF0
Administrator

Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-17-09 10:18:44 PM)

Quoted from Muzta:
Quoted from IF0:
Quoted from Muzta:

That raises the obvious question, are those topics posted about now?

Moreso than they would be without said groups. The least-recently-posted-in-group at the moment is GC, which has, without a doubt, a very specific user base.

The most recent example is BB. The moderator at the time was Drah, who said that ID would take the place of BB threads. He was wrong, and I was wrong to agree with him. Without BB, no bitchy threads took place. This is sort of ironic, as the typical INTL user is both bitchy and feels they know better than every other INTL user.

The other specific topic forums are there for a specific reason. RS is for retards. SD is for threads that ID is incapable of moderating. PP is a conglomeration of the other PP-related sub-forums that used to exist. The people that post in PP are too pretentious to accept athletics as entertainment, hene the arena (which has some of the most active recent threads, incidentally). GC is a very specific sub-forum, and unfortunately, the majority of INTL isn't going to discuss building a custom computer. Health and Beauty? Creation of Sunny, Zippo, and Amphy if I remember correctly in my Long Island Iced Tea/Vodka/Blue Moon-addled state. C/S? Duh. Not exactly supposed to be active anyhow. The Champagne Room has been relatively popular due to forummer secretive interactions. Staff forum? Duh.

In other words, as I've had to say in the C/S thread multiple times, if you want to to complain about something, have the balls to suggest an alternative. Everybody here, despite acting like an internet hardcore badass, lacks either the creativity or brass to suggest any sort of alternative, regardless of how many times I hint or directly ask.

I.E. Jimmy critiqued, but didn't provide any suggestions on who to remove or which sub-forums to remove. Muzta questioned my response, but didn't provide explanation or suggestion. At least Amphy can do math I suppose. And if I can see the logical fallacies of bitching without suggestion after 5 hours at a bar, some of you should maybe take a few shots of vodka and post something intelligent instead of asinine and un-thought-provoking whining.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-18-09 09:56:49 AM)

tbh, i never really liked muzta, can we vote him off the island?
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-18-09 04:39:56 PM)

See, Chimp has a workable suggestion.
jimmy

Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-19-09 01:02:15 PM)

Quoted from Wicket W. Warrick:

6 =! 37

on a related note
6 =! 50

Look up hyperbole in the dictionary and get back to me with more of your scintillating observations.

If these forums were so vital to the overall health of INTL, why are we having to advertise them to get traffic?
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-19-09 03:38:07 PM)

Look up hyperbole in the dictionary and get back to me with more of your scintillating observations.

While I do that, you can look up either unhelpful or snivel in another dictionary and let me know what you find.
Quote:
If these forums were so vital to the overall health of INTL, why are we having to advertise them to get traffic?

It isn't necessarily that they're vital and they NEED traffic, but there are multiple forummers who have admitted in the past that they don't check the specific discussion forums. This thread is a reminder that they exist and that maybe, JUST MAYBE, there's something in one of those forums to which posters can contribute.

jimmy

Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-19-09 09:02:34 PM)

Please explain to me how the fact that many people never visit the other subforums somehow invalidates my opinion that we have too many subforums. If they haven't found them by now, don't you think it's time they got shut down and the active threads moved to ID? Call me crazy, but this seems like the best way to make sure that the extra topics that people actually discuss and like would stay active, while letting the other detritus slip to the bottom like it should. It would seem counterproductive to tout more forums when there are (as I previously pointed out) topics with last replies from over a month ago on the front page of the primary forum. Maybe we should make more forums? Maybe every thread should have its own forum from now on...that would make sense. With the admittedly lower traffic recently, you would figure that you would want to focus any activity that remains, instead of stubbornly insisting that the already diminishing userbase spread itself even more thin.

Quote:
While I do that, you can look up either unhelpful or snivel in another dictionary and let me know what you find.

Snivel? Do you even know what that means, or did you get it mixed up with snide? Maybe drivel?

For those of you who have difficulty reading between the lines, my suggestion in my initial post was to dissolve the specific discussion forums. See, I used hyperbole (again, look it up) to imply that we have too many subforums. I didn't feel that it was necessary to expound on that, because to me the logical solution to that problem is to close and consolidate those forums. It has since then occurred to me that I have to spell out the intent of every single post that I make here, so consider the preceding sentences a roadmap to what was meant by it. If you still can't figure it out, I can't help you. Maybe I'll start posting with a thesis and table of contents for the reading-comprehension impaired.
This reply was last edited on 07-19-09 09:11:05 PM by jimmy.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-19-09 10:47:23 PM)

The last time we decided to close forums and merge them with ID, nobody ever posted such topics in ID. That's not an assumption, it was a reality - nobody ever bitched, nobody ever talked sports, nobody ever showed any interest in talking about their hygiene. You would believe it would be the opposite - that there would be more topics in ID with the other forums closed - but that doesn't happen. ID remains the same, while discussions that could've happened in a specific forum never happen.

Your idea didn't work before, and I certainly don't want to repeat the same mistakes. That doesn't mean that every thread gets a forum, but that general discussion trends typically tend to flourish when in audience with others of the same type - entertainment, health/asthetics, debates, sports, and technology.

Nick's grievances seem to stem more from the present nature of INTL right now than to the number of forums. I'm not tooting the horn of 'inactivity' because that's really not it; it's a daily ritual for many people to remain active here (even if just by lurking). Perhaps we've just become accustom to greater responsibility and the expectations that we have for others and what they'd say, or general apathy in wanting to take the time to make posts. Though I'm not sure.
jimmy

Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-19-09 11:20:08 PM)

I refuse to believe that no one complained in ID when there was no BB. Half of what people get roasted for in this place is complaining. I honestly don't care one way or the other if the specific discussion forums remain, I just think it's silly to start advertising them because I believe they're dead for the reasons stated (and re-stated) above. I will say that the ambition of the site owners and admins has outstripped the demand of the userbase, and that it's probable that INTL will never become a significant bastion of social discourse on the internet. As such, I believe it is silly for us to compartmentalize the few topics that are posted about here, and would say that the responsibility to make sure certain topics get the exposure they deserve falls to the community. If it's not being posted about in a general forum, maybe people just don't want to talk about it? Maybe admins and mods should set an example by posting topics of varying genre to stimulate discussion, or are we too busy thinking of the next RS theme or inane tagline to slap on a forum's title?

(p.s. big words linked to definitions for the slow of wit)
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-20-09 01:07:37 AM)

It's not that your argument doesn't make sense jimmy, it's that your suggestion has been attempted more then once and as sunny said, no one made those threads anymore. I mean, it happened.. I think a couple times. You can argue it all you like but no one discussed sports after the first arena closed and before this one opened. Same goes for the other specific discussion forums.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-20-09 05:12:22 AM)

Dimi and Sunny are both correct in their assessments. I initially wanted a cleaner forum myself at first. It was decidedly ineffective.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-20-09 09:00:55 AM)

I'm going to unhelpfully add the the more Jimmy is proven wrong the angrier he gets. It's pretty funny considering he claims not to care.
It is company policy not to release this information.
jimmy

Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-20-09 09:12:25 AM)

Saying that it hasn't worked before is not proof of anything. I visit the other forums and contribute there, but would like to see the content in a more concentrated place. If they're combined, great. I have one place to go. If they're not, oh well. I guess if I need info from last year in PP or GC, it's right there on the front page.

What you're reading as anger is a frustration with the fact that people refuse to actually read my posts instead of drawing their own inferences from the first couple lines, much like you have done. I would ask that you contribute a bit to this thread, but looking at your post history I think that might be a lost cause.

My suggestion still stands that these topics, if important to the general population of INTL, could be just as easily promoted and nurtured in ID as they could in a separate forum, if the staff would take the initiative.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-20-09 10:53:14 AM)

Are you implying that STAFF create the threads in ID that would otherwise be placed in specific discussion forums?

Seriously, if it's not in response to what we've already said, I don't understand the point you're trying to make, and I am trying to understand. If staff isn't supposed to make the thread themselves (which I gather isn't your intention, I was asking because I can't interpret your ACTUAL intention), then what? I mean, technically I guess you can go around on AIM or make a thread in ID telling people to post their computer issues for the current day.

If nothing else, which forums are you proposing to be rid of or combined?
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 07-20-09 11:17:26 AM)

I refuse to believe that no one complained in ID when there was no BB. Half of what people get roasted for in this place is complaining.

It never happened. Without a concentrated place for bitching, and given what forumers expected from ID, the connection to bitch in ID was never made. This was even after the flaming rules were relaxed and calls for bitching were made; in most cases there was no change whatsoever.

I will say that the ambition of the site owners and admins has outstripped the demand of the userbase, and that it's probable that INTL will never become a significant bastion of social discourse on the internet.

None of us want that. It's better having the same 100 close regulars than 10000 constantly changing users. The only ambition that exists is to keep INTL around for those regulars. Despite what you assume, the majority of regulars who were here 5 or even 7 years ago still visit INTL, even though they may not post much at all.

As such, I believe it is silly for us to compartmentalize the few topics that are posted about here, and would say that the responsibility to make sure certain topics get the exposure they deserve falls to the community. If it's not being posted about in a general forum, maybe people just don't want to talk about it?

It's no longer plausible to consider ID a "general forum." In its many years of existence, it has gathered its own expectations as to what is appropriate within it, which naturally is allocated by the forumers for discussions. In other words, people have come to accept what is and what isn't a good topic for ID, it's no longer just a repository for all other topics as well. Even in the event that all specific forums were joined into one composite forum, many topics would - and in the past have - been ignored. This isn't out of lack of wanting to discuss them, so much as it is a reaction to having no guidance. In an anarchic forum, the most dominant topics typically tend to influence which topics will continue to be made, and which ones the forumers wont bother to post.

I find it hard to believe that there are no topics that people will or want to discuss. If you can have 60 posts on what your favorite soda is, or almost 400 for fantasy baseball, then any topic will be talked about, if the appropriate forum exists for it.

Maybe admins and mods should set an example by posting topics of varying genre to stimulate discussion, or are we too busy thinking of the next RS theme or inane tagline to slap on a forum's title?

(p.s. big words linked to definitions for the slow of wit)

Perhaps we've already done so, many countless times over the last few weeks, months, and years. You do not need to be a mod or an admin to 'set an example' and 'stimulate discussion'. You can look at Ztolk, Nickolati and FA as to why that is no true, they are perfectly capable of doing just that, as are every other user. If your concern is to stimulate discussion, than by all means make threads and make posts. Take initiative upon yourself, just as well as with others.

Your last thread was in June of 2006. Three years ago.

(p.s. words linked to threads for easier clarification of hypocrisy)
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3724 | Total Posts: 59 ]