Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > My First Protest > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 4875 | Total Posts: 104 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 06-17-09 04:44:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So last week the city assembly brought up a bill that would outlaw discriminating against people on the basis of sexual orientation. As you can imagine, Alaska being a red state, the fucktards came streaming out of the woodwork. Soon commercials were running declaring that if the assembly passed the bill then men dressed as women could go into women's restrooms and do naughty things! Fearmongering religious nuts were telling everyone that the "gay agenda" was out to take away our rights! Omg! So many people came to speak last week that they continued the meetings into this week.

Yesterday the assembly met again to discuss the issue and they had hundreds of people sign up to speak. Nutbag libertarians who don't want the government to tell them to do anything, religious freaks who say gays are corrupting our morals, and the rational gays and straights who support the issue. Naturally so many people showed up to speak that the assembly continued the meeting into today and possibly tomorrow. Now the assembly is considered likely to pass the measure almost unanimously but they are a little freaked by how vehement each side is about the issue so they're pushing off a decision by letting all these people come in and speak. They've even let people who already spoke last week to sign up again and speak more.

Needless to say I showed up at the assembly building (not to speak, too much of a pussy) to show my support for Alaska's queers. The turnout of religious folk was frightening. Here are some pictures deftly stolen from the local paper's website(I didn't make it into any of them MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS):

Yeah the anti-gay groups are pretty fucking ugly.

They also rope their children into protesting an issue they're too young to understand. Probably threatened them with the bible verse that says disobedient children should be stoned to death.

I know, right?

Oh hey, that blonde guy in shades? Yeah that's him. coal

My second favorite sign there. My favorite was "What if Trig's gay and Letterman's the father?"

Peace and love!

I was to the left in this photo.

Going back today, the protest starts in about fifteen minutes.
Nun: Sister Augustine believes in things that aren't real.
House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

Dr. House: Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart.

Eve: Abortion is murder.
Dr. House: True. It's a life and you should end it.
Eve: Every life is sacred.
Dr. House: Come on. Talk to me. Don't quote me bumper stickers.
Eve: It's true.
Dr. House: It's meaningless.
Eve: It means that every life matters to God.
Dr. House: Not to me. Not to you. Judging by the number of natural disasters, not to God either.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 1 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 05:07:02 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This picture makes me sad
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 2 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 05:10:45 PM)

You should have a big sign that says God Hates Figs and cite verses. I think it's clever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/froboy/3343598218/sizes/l/in/set-72157614979271411/
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 3 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 05:45:59 PM)

What a bunch of hippies.
DRAHNIER
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 4 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 05:47:39 PM)

Even if I were stupid I would still be liberal. Look how much more attractive everyone is
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 5 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 05:51:07 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Even if I were stupid I would still be liberal. Look how much more attractive everyone is

To be fair, both sides are pretty ugly.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 6 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 05:54:03 PM)

Why are they all wearing red?
D
Administrator

Reply 7 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 06:01:14 PM)

Is it just me or do those protesters look more hilarious/pathetic/sinister when you look at them individually and not in the whole group?

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 8 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 07:46:16 PM)

That one kid sitting on the curb looks totally homeless.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 9 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-17-09 11:43:19 PM)

I love protesters. "I'm not going to actually DO anything about what I believe in, I'm just going to stand on a corner with my beliefs plastered on a posterboard."

Is there really any hope of conversion in waving a flag that says "Peace" on it? Do that many people drive by, see the sign and all of a sudden have an epiphany and change their life on the spot?

Protesting is for the self-glorification of each side of a polarizing issue. No one is "raising awareness", they're just out there to get their picture taken and yell at people driving by. Go find something useful to do with your time.

I've talked about this before, but it's like the people who sit on the side of the road with "honk for peace" signs. Is there some magical property of the car horn that promotes world peace? Really, you're just looking for a bunch of people to validate what you believe. The more you need others to reinforce your views, the more you need to examine them, and that goes for both sides.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 10 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 12:14:35 AM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
Protesting is for the self-glorification of each side of a polarizing issue.

D
Administrator

Reply 11 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 12:17:12 AM)

I wouldn't put that in the same category as the protests jimmy is talking about.

Still, good one.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 12 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 12:55:48 AM)

Protesting is for the self-glorification of each side of a polarizing issue.

Posers.
jimmy

Reply 13 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 06:30:49 AM)

You two are seriously going to put that in the same category as FA's hula-hooping hippy-fest? The protest has been over-used in the USA and is too cliche to be effective anymore. It's a place where people who don't really know that much about an issue go to hold up clever signs in hopes of getting their picture taken. If you really think that this is the best way of promoting change in your government, by all means have at it. I want one of you to sincerely tell me that one of those signs in Alaska changed someone's point of view and caused them to vote differently. I dare you.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 14 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 07:54:57 AM)

Let's hear about your alternative, jimmy. Blowing stuff up?

Protests create a particular state of mind in the public opinion, and that can be a very powerful thing. They also promote awareness, and that's important too.

Or you know, pick up any history book and read about what protests have achieved.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 15 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 10:39:29 AM)

It's more about laughing at a vastly generalized and cynical viewpoint that hasn't really been qualified very well. The fact that the people of Iran have been protesting for the last five days only enhances the humor factor.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 16 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 10:53:18 AM)

Quoted from szaukjkjit:
Let's hear about your alternative, jimmy. Blowing stuff up?

Protests create a particular state of mind in the public opinion, and that can be a very powerful thing. They also promote awareness, and that's important too.

Or you know, pick up any history book and read about what protests have achieved.

Three words on a sign doesn't create a state of mind. Nor does it make anybody aware of anything in particular. The fact that they can use 3 words means people are already aware of the basic idea, actually. And two opposing sides, each holding their 3 words, facing each other.. that doesn't equate to anything but two mobs arguing. It's kinda goofy to say that someone just wandering through a park with 2 mobs holding signs and facing off against each other would come out any more or less wise. This doesn't even touch on the fact that it seems like a lot of these lame protests are held in the middle of a campus, for instance, or in the middle of a park or something.

You want to protest the government, go stand on the government steps. That 18 year old lit major (nor the 47 year old dog walker in the park) is not going to shut down the war in Iraq or decide a federal ruling on abortion.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 17 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 11:18:49 AM)

Someone had to be the first person to take to the streets in Iran, just like someone had to be the first person to take to the streets in Alaska. The number of people protesting doesn't determine the value of the protest, just the immediate, short-term impact. Can you separate those concepts?

Quote:
I want one of you to sincerely tell me that one of those signs in Alaska changed someone's point of view and caused them to vote differently. I dare you.

No one voted at all, there was no referendum. And maybe no one's mind was changed by seeing the protests. But maybe a closeted gay person saw these protesters, and maybe seeing that these protesters supported them and their plight made them realize that they aren't alone or sinful or a bad person, and that there are other people like them who understand. That's very valuable, and I don't think you can deny that.
jimmy

Reply 18 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 01:11:34 PM)

The venue is the important part, not the size. People in Anchorage want the ability to sue their employer for discrimination via state law, not an answer for an obviously bogus election. You're talking about a discrimination lawsuit versus wholesale government corruption. If the "protesters" (lobbyists) in Anchorage wanted to support closet gays and lesbians, they should find a better way to do so. If you were feeling depressed and saw someone on a corner with a sign that said "Hey ice from INTL, I like you," would that really do anything for you?
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 19 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 01:26:54 PM)

So it's just that homosexual rights aren't an issue worth getting worked up about?
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 01:55:49 PM)

The venue is the important part, not the size. People in Anchorage want the ability to sue their employer for discrimination via state law, not an answer for an obviously bogus election.

and what's wrong with that exactly

If the "protesters" (lobbyists) in Anchorage wanted to support closet gays and lesbians, they should find a better way to do so.
lmao
Scruffy - The Janitor
Alcoholics Anonymous
While anarchy can often turn a humdrum weekend into something unforgettable, eventually the mob must be kept from stealing the conch and killing Piggy.

Pimpin is just a haircut and a shave away!

Ballkicks: (+650 / -57)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 21 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 03:04:34 PM)

If you were feeling depressed and saw someone on a corner with a sign that said "Hey ice from INTL, I like you," would that really do anything for you?
Obviously someone doesn't remember the story about the sad little geeky boy carrying all of his books and instrument home who gets bullied and is going home to kill himself when some other kid helps him up and carries his shit home so the kid isn't sad anymore and goes on to be the valedictorian for his class all thanks to someone giving a little bit of a shit about him.

I read it in a chain letter.

It would have been more compelling a story if the nice kid had a "Hey ice from INTL, I like you" sign.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.
jimmy

Reply 22 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 03:42:59 PM)

So it's just that homosexual rights aren't an issue worth getting worked up about?

Are they being denied work? FA has a job, and has even had sexual encounters with his co-workers. I don't see him in the unemployment line. I don't have a problem hiring gay people as long as they don't interfere with my business, and I don't feel that an employer should have to set aside his business' profitability if he feels that it is in his best interest to not hire a person whose actions could be seen as detrimental.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 04:08:35 PM)

good lord
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 24 of 104 (Originally posted on: 06-18-09 04:30:31 PM)

Hey guys!

Yesterday was awesome. There had to be at least two hundred people there, maybe more. I'm not entirely sure why the religious groups were using the color red. Red state? I just made sure to mention to them that red is the color of SATAN!

The equal rights group brought an awesome DJ (of course) and cupcakes and there was much dancing and having of the fun.

Jimmy: You know fuck all about what's going on in Anchorage so don't try and claim there's no discrimination going on. Aren't you from fucking Wyoming? Have you ever seen a gay person?

And the whole point of us being out there and protesting is showing our support for an issue. It's to show everyone in the city that we're here and we want equal rights. If no one bothered to protest or even show up to support equal rights (because the religious folks will always come out to wave signs) people would see no supporters of the issue and assume that it must not be worth supporting. Believe me there are plenty of people who aren't sure which way to go on this issue but if they drive by and see hundreds of ordinary people supporting it they may feel otherwise. And if local asshat Rev. Jerry Prevo decides to push this to a city-wide vote we will need all the support we can get.
Nun: Sister Augustine believes in things that aren't real.
House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

Dr. House: Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart.

Eve: Abortion is murder.
Dr. House: True. It's a life and you should end it.
Eve: Every life is sacred.
Dr. House: Come on. Talk to me. Don't quote me bumper stickers.
Eve: It's true.
Dr. House: It's meaningless.
Eve: It means that every life matters to God.
Dr. House: Not to me. Not to you. Judging by the number of natural disasters, not to God either.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4875 | Total Posts: 104 ]