Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Things I Have Learned > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 4984 | Total Posts: 79 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:01:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm going to be graduating in a few days and I thought I would take this time to reflect on the worthless tidbits I have acquired throughout the years of my college education

1. A kilogram is a unit of mass, a pound is a unit of force. Therefore you can not actually convert from one to the other.
A "slug" is the actual unit of mass in English Standard, and an object's "weight" can be found by multiplying it's mass by the acceleration due to gravity (32.2 ft/s). [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight]Weight [/ur], is a term describing relative force, therefore it is incorrect to describe an object's weight in kilograms

2.Bernoulli's equation is not what makes planes fly
The conventional description of how plans fly is that the shape of a wing causes air going over the top to accelerate and therefore drop in pressure resulting in a higher pressure below the wing then above, generating lift. This is incorrect.
The actually reason a plan flies is that the wing imparts a downward force on the fluid as it pass through it, due to it's geometry. As a result, as part of a momentum balance, the plane's wing then have a reacting force upwards.

3. The point of a wheel that is contacting the surface on which it is rolling has zero velocity with respect to that surface (ideally). An easy way to demonstrate this is role an object with your arm, notice that the object is only rolling half the distance that your arm is traveling. The top part of the object is traveling with the same velocity as your arm with respect to the ground, the bottom part has zero velocity with respect to ground, so the average velocity of the object is one half of that of you're arm. This means that when your traveling down the highway at 60mph, then contact point of the wheel at any instant has zero velocity, and the upper most part of the wheel is traveling at 120mph. This is why fenders are important.

and now I'm bored...your turn
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:13:03 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Things you have not yet learned: the difference between your and you're
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 2 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:34:33 PM)

Quoted from Muzta:
This means that when your traveling down the highway at 60mph, then contact point of the wheel at any instant has zero velocity, and the upper most part of the wheel is traveling at 120mph. This is why fenders are important.

mind blown
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:37:42 PM)

holy shit you're graduating college and you write like that?
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 4 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:42:01 PM)

Here I was hoping that people might post more things they had learned, but no, more bitching.

Protestants have the highest rates of suicides, Jews the least, and Catholics in the middle.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 5 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:45:17 PM)

OK then, here's something I've learned: Computer Science doesn't really have much to do with computers.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 6 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 12:48:21 PM)

I'm graduating soon and here's what I've learned:

A football to the groin will always be funny.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 7 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 01:14:47 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
OK then, here's something I've learned: Computer Science doesn't really have much to do with computers.
What, you don't like drawing push-down automata diagrams that emulate formal context-free grammars with arbitrary production rules? Come on now! That's fun!

But yeah, most theory in Computer Science actually predates the existence of modern computing and was intended as mathematical exercises by bored professors at Princeton in the early 20th century. If you're more interested in hardware and software design and development, studying Computer Science can be a bit of a letdown.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 8 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:04:16 PM)

#1 is pedantic I'd say. We're all on Earth here.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 9 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:27:35 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from antpocas:
If you're more interested in hardware and software design and development, studying Computer Science can be a bit of a letdown.
Yeah. Anyone who's interested in hardware should focus on something like Electrical Engineering instead really. And yeah, software design/development isn't really CS if by that you mean design patterns and UML diagrams and all those other fun things that make me want to kill myself every time I have to read about them. Algorithms, and algorithm design/analysis, on the other hand, are great.

eh real computers suck anyway
real computers and their stupid "reality" constraints
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 10 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:30:03 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
#1 is pedantic I'd say. We're all on Earth here.

True, but not everything is be subjected to the same net acceleration all of the time.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 11 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:31:55 PM)

when you drop an apple, it doesn't fall to the ground...

it stays stationary and the earth moves to the apple
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reply 12 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:40:56 PM)

...in the apple's frame.

The force exerted by the earth on the apple is the same as the force exerted by the apple on the earth.

The question as to whether or not an airplane will take off if placed on a treadmill confuses a lot of early physics people, a lot of engineers and..a lot of pilots.

Absolute temperature is a measure of energy (aka Kelvin is a unit of energy).

There are more but I can't think of them now.
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 13 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:48:34 PM)

Quoted from Science Brad:
...in the apple's frame.

The force exerted by the earth on the apple is the same as the force exerted by the apple on the earth.

The question as to whether or not an airplane will take off if placed on a treadmill confuses a lot of early physics people, a lot of engineers and..a lot of pilots.

There are more but I can't think of them now.

Yea I thought it was more significant than just "the apple's frame". I don't really care to turn this into a physics debate...but I vaguely remember a presentation at Perimeter Institute where the guy was stressing how objects in free-fall are following the actuall space-time coordinates, and only when we are standing on the earth that we are leaving the natural space-time coordinates and therefore feeling a force hence acceleration.

So I mean, yea in the Apple's frame....but the impression I got was that gravititational physicists define the whole universe in terms of the apple's frame.

I don't know...it was a few years ago and I havent studied gravity stuff for a while now.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 14 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:49:03 PM)

The set of all whole numbers is the equal in size to the set of all fractions.

The monkey's typing Shakespeare thing is also true, it will happen given enough time.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 15 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 02:52:26 PM)

Quoted from Bebop:
The monkey's typing Shakespeare thing is also true, it will happen given enough time.
I never really understood what this was supposed to illustrate, besides infinity is big?
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 16 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 03:01:46 PM)

Quoted from Science Brad:

Well since a physics debate has started, isn't temperature a measurement of an objects energy concentration?
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 17 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 03:19:31 PM)

Quoted from Bebop:
The set of all whole numbers is the equal in size to the set of all fractions.
Three cheers for bijections!

On that note, the set of real numbers on the interval between two distinct, arbitrary real numbers is larger than the set of all natural numbers, integers, and rational numbers. Thanks Cantor and your beautiful diagonal argument.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 18 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 03:21:26 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Quoted from Bebop:
I never really understood what this was supposed to illustrate, besides infinity is big?
Well the actually interesting idea is that if we have a infinitely long sequence of experiments each of which of which is independent of the others and consider and an event which is unaffected by anything that has happened in the first 'n' experiments then the probability of it happening or not, will either be 1 or 0. This is pretty remarkable, really there's no reason why we should know anything about what happens with this event but it turns out we do. With a bit more work and invoking a few more ideas you can sometimes tell if it occurs with probability 1 or not.

So it's not so much about infinity being really big, more so what we information we can deduce about something that is in a sense happening infinitely far away from where we are now (quite a lot!)
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 19 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 03:39:10 PM)

Quoted from Bebop:

I just wish someone would pony up and start the experiment already.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance

Reply 20 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 03:45:08 PM)

Quoted from Bebop:
Quoted from Bebop:
Well the actually interesting idea is that if we have a infinitely long sequence of experiments each of which of which is independent of the others and consider and an event which is unaffected by anything that has happened in the first 'n' experiments then the probability of it happening or not, will either be 1 or 0. This is pretty remarkable, really there's no reason why we should know anything about what happens with this event but it turns out we do. With a bit more work and invoking a few more ideas you can sometimes tell if it occurs with probability 1 or not.

So it's not so much about infinity being really big, more so what we information we can deduce about something that is in a sense happening infinitely far away from where we are now (quite a lot!)

I'm not sure I understand this, but I'm thinking it's something like if I flip a coin an infinite number of times the probability of getting 1,000,000 heads in a row is 1, and the probability of getting bacon is 0
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 21 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 04:09:42 PM)

The probability of a finite sequence (the text of King Lear, for example) occurring in a single attempt of random finite keystrokes is infinitesimally small, but non-zero.

However, the probability of that same sequence occurring at least once in an infinite number of attempts is 1.

Hope that clarifies things.

edit: This argument actually falls apart if you are given an infinite set of characters which can be pressed. However, in the context of the thought-experiment, it's a keyboard/typewriter, so the character set is finite as well.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 22 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 04:17:51 PM)

Yeah. I just hate how that thought experiment seems to be principally used (by those who do not understand it) to belittle Shakespeare's accomplishments.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 23 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 04:29:42 PM)

Anyone who is taking antibiotics should be taking some form of probiotics.

Patients almost always are unreliable sources of information regarding their own health.

Wash your hands as often as possible.
if you have time to read my sig you have time to post in my forum
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reply 24 of 79 (Originally posted on: 05-04-09 04:31:03 PM)

I've also learned about 80% of my physics professors enjoy telling the spherical cow joke which comes in more than 4 variations.

In line with the whole number thing and uncountable infinities, if you had a perfectly sharp needle and threw it at a perfect representation of the real number line, you have zero probability of hitting a rational number. A less fancy way of saying the irrational numbers are uncountably infinite.

I also learned building a trebuchet is a lot of fun but that you shouldn't use inferior parts.

Also that black holes are annoying.
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4984 | Total Posts: 79 ]