Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Serious Discussions: Too serious to have a double entendre in the title > College Income > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 5350 | Total Posts: 41 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 04-28-09 05:00:45 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Debating a point is something I want to get better at.

Let's talk about the importance of a college education and it correlation with a "good" life.
It is what it is...
This reply was last edited on 05-01-09 09:32:43 AM by Nickolati.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-28-09 07:15:46 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Paging vissario to thread.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 2 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-28-09 07:29:00 PM)

lol arguing on the internet
You are the reason I post here, and that annoys me.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 3 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-28-09 08:27:10 PM)

It should be fun either way. We need more good debates here. I'm just starting one hopefully.
It is what it is...
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 4 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-28-09 08:31:17 PM)

Get viss started on any of his favorite topics.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 5 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-28-09 11:48:21 PM)

Jewish children died in gas chambers in the 1940s. All set.
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
just_dandy
INTL Premium Member
Unapologetic apostate approaching her apotheosis, how apropos

Ballkicks: (+130 / -4)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 6 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 07:46:48 AM)

Debate somebody about partial birth abortion, specifically. Be for it.
Koalas have sharp claws but they are weak. They all small and fat and they be climing trees. I hope a storm just come while theyjust chilling up in the tree thinking they is hard and they're will all just fall off. They just break they neck and shit. When they fall they claws are going to fall off and they going to be crying like some little bitches.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 7 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 08:54:08 AM)

Quoted from just dandy:

Ouch.
It is what it is...
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 8 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 08:54:25 AM)

You need to lay off the sweets
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

Reply 9 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 09:27:37 AM)

Quoted from just dandy:

Useless argument - abortion is legal only so that politicians have something else to sway the voting population on. It's also a sneaky way for churches to endorse a certain political candidate and/or party without running the risk of losing their tax exempt status.

So who cares about the dead babies? Surprise! Nobody!
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 10 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 09:45:19 AM)

Quoted from ThePerfectCore:
So who cares about the dead babies? Surprise! Nobody!

In a roundabout way, then, everyone does. Or just gullible voters.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 11 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 11:07:51 AM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
Debating a point is something I want to get better at. It is an invaluable tool for a salesman and someone in my industry. I want to challenge anyone here to a debate on any subject that has arguable points. Someone pick a topic and assign me and the person I am debating with a stance on said topic.

Is making 40k a year really that impressive at the age of 30?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 12 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 12:10:20 PM)

It kind of depends on where you live
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 13 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 01:21:53 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quoted from Nickolati:
Debating a point is something I want to get better at. It is an invaluable tool for a salesman and someone in my industry. I want to challenge anyone here to a debate on any subject that has arguable points. Someone pick a topic and assign me and the person I am debating with a stance on said topic.

Is making 40k a year really that impressive at the age of 30?

This is a loaded question, but I will take it at face value and assume you aren't trying to get me to start defending myself right off the bat.

I would say that being settled into any solid career by the age of the 30 is a rather normal and unexceptional feat. If you aren't retarded you graduate high school when you are 18. After that add on another 3-6 years for a degree program or some sort of technical/vocational training. This puts around 25, give or take a year or two. After that, it is just a matter of working the right jobs to put yourself in a position to do just that. While most entry level jobs don't pay that, I would say the remaining 5 years would be more than sufficient to secure some sort of promotion provided you excel at your field.

A doctorate at the age of 30 would be impressive.
It is what it is...
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 14 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 02:37:00 PM)

Quote:
While most entry level jobs don't pay that, I would say the remaining 5 years would be more than sufficient to secure some sort of promotion provided you excel at your field.

Clarification; are you positing that most entry-level jobs for college graduates (4 years +) make less (or more) than 40k at the age of 26?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 15 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 03:20:32 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
Quote:
While most entry level jobs don't pay that, I would say the remaining 5 years would be more than sufficient to secure some sort of promotion provided you excel at your field.

Clarification; are you positing that most entry-level jobs for college graduates (4 years +) make less (or more) than 40k at the age of 26?

That obviously depends on the field. I would say that on average most positions pay less than 40k for a college grad. This is just a conjecture; let me find some real numbers.

Quoted from CNN Money:
* Accounting (private): $44,564

* Management trainee: $35,811

* Teaching: $29,733

* Consulting: $49,781

* Sales: $37,130

* Accounting (public): $41,039

* Financial/Treasury analysis: $45,596

* Software design/development: $53,729

* Design/construction engineering: $47,058

* Registered nurse: $38,775

It depends on what field you are in. I am trying to locate some solid numbers showing what the most common degree awarded in the United States currently is, but I am having trouble. I personally do not know many engineers, analysts, or consultants. The exception to what I said is software/IT, but I knew that before I stated it.
It is what it is...
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 16 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 03:44:52 PM)

Love how teachers make the least.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 17 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:01:34 PM)

Going by the information you provided, the average pay is 42,322 USD for a graduate leaving college. This is, as you pointed out, between the year of 23 and 26. Now, consider another 7 to 4 years with their pay rising a modest 3% annually:

Either way you shake it, assuming you are smart and lucky, you should be making substantially more than 40,000 USD by the time you are 30 even at that modest 3% gain in salary every year. That gain, by the way, is simply assuming your pay is kept up to par with core inflation, not any substantial promotion or the like.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 18 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:08:44 PM)

what are you guys debating?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 19 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:14:32 PM)

That is blanket data though. I still would like to see what degrees are awarded most frequently to get a better idea of what the average working college graduate makes. Those are some of the higher paying positions available. The majority of college grads are getting liberal arts, psychology, philosophy, english, etc...

The average person doesn't wake up one day and say "I want to be a consultant."

In addition to that, unemployment rates are up. Currently there are 1.7 million unemployed college graduates in the US alone.

Either way, to answer the original question:

Quoted from Nickolati:
I would say that being settled into any solid career by the age of the 30 is a rather normal and unexceptional feat.

Whether or not you were smart enough to pick a profession that would allow you to do so is an entirely different subject. I would say that the average college graduate does NOT make $40,000.
It is what it is...
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 20 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:17:25 PM)

Quote:
"…[a]verage earnings ranged from $18,900 for high school dropouts to $25,900 for high school graduates, $45,400 for college graduates and $99,300 for workers with professional degrees (M.D., D.P.T., D.O., J.D., Pharm.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M.).[22]

source
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

Reply 21 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:21:52 PM)

This is the worst thread ever.

Fuck you vissario.
FUCK. YOU. VISSARIO.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 22 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:28:04 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Quote:
"…[a]verage earnings ranged from $18,900 for high school dropouts to $25,900 for high school graduates, $45,400 for college graduates and $99,300 for workers with professional degrees (M.D., D.P.T., D.O., J.D., Pharm.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M.).[22]

source

According to that, I am indeed wrong. My goal is to make a convincing argument though.
It is what it is...
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 23 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:40:21 PM)

Quote:
That is blanket data though. I still would like to see what degrees are awarded most frequently to get a better idea of what the average working college graduate makes. Those are some of the higher paying positions available. The majority of college grads are getting liberal arts, psychology, philosophy, english, etc...

Interesting point. Looking around on google and altavista, I cannot find an immediate answer to that. Also, those people probably deserve a hardy laughing at.

Quote:
In addition to that, unemployment rates are up. Currently there are 1.7 million unemployed college graduates in the US alone.

Irrelevant.

Quote:
Whether or not you were smart enough to pick a profession that would allow you to do so is an entirely different subject. I would say that the average college graduate does NOT make $40,000.

According to your very own source they generally do.

Edit:

Also:

Comparing the first chart with this one, over a seven year period, the individual who achieved a salary of 40,000 USD by 30 effectively earned close to 78,000 USD less than what might be expected. What could that money be? An auto, a nice start to a retirement fund, a new business? The world, and that person, may never know.
This reply was last edited on 04-29-09 04:48:27 PM by atlas sighed (at me).
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 41 (Originally posted on: 04-29-09 04:43:50 PM)

Quoted from vissario:

According to your very own source they generally do.
no, because his source didn't indicate the proportions of each degree and it would be incorrect to assume that there are equal numbers of people in each field.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5350 | Total Posts: 41 ]