Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Jobsearching (Not anymore) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 7445 | Total Posts: 93 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
(Originally posted on: 04-15-09 09:42:42 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

How do you go about it?

My family seems to consider 15+ applications/"contacts" a day as a minimum requirement. Not gonna lie, it's hard to keep up that kind of productivity if you actually care about where you end up.

Anyways, at the moment I'm doing 5-10 a day and still getting jack back... Yes I do follow up by the way. I realize that just dropping an app or a res off is worthless. But then again, most of the places out there are worthless to begin with, and won't look at a resume unless you call them 10 times, and then go and talk to the manager about it. Twice.

Or you can be like Safeway and immediately reject everyone by HAVING YOUR FUCKING APPLICATION SYSTEM FAIL.

In other news, jobhunting sucks a fat cock and I dunno how long I can keep this charade up.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
This reply was last edited on 04-22-09 08:17:05 PM by Snook.
Minus, The Nightmare
Desperado

Ballkicks: (+7 / -6)
Reg. Date: Mar 2009
Reply 1 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:14:47 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This is something I can relate to.

My parents are always on my ass

Because they haven't seen the "fruits of my labors", there must just not be any labors going on, and therefor I get bitched at for that.

God, I love living at home.

I actually got a job, and checked back every day after orientation for 2 weeks to find my name on the schedule, until they never put it on, and I decided I just didn't care all that much about working at Sonic anymore.
[ABA]= Anti-Backwashing Activists
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 2 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:23:29 AM)

Indeed.com is a good one. Searches many job sites for you.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 3 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:32:13 AM)

I fucking HATE looking for jobs, I started looking for something recently and I'd forgotten what a fucking misery it is.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 07:46:02 AM)

Like looking for new jobs, starting a new one sucks a fatty for a month or two until you can get in the rhythm of things.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 5 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 07:47:42 AM)

Quote:
I actually got a job, and checked back every day after orientation for 2 weeks to find my name on the schedule, until they never put it on, and I decided I just didn't care all that much about working at Sonic anymore.

Surely you realize that bottom-basement service industries use computing software that doesn't effectively "add you" to the roster until 2-4 weeks after the hire. Typically, one puts on their thinking cap, asks the boss about what time they should be at the job, and shows up knowing that, gee wiz, the boss will probably take care of me to extract my money-making potential.

That, or you just didn't want to work at Sonic learn u some stuff ok??

I know I sure wouldn't, but in the grown-up world, people typically have to do things they do want to do on a very regular basis.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 6 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 07:52:04 AM)

What I hate most is that 95% of the time no one even cares about your resume or your app when you hand it in. Only twice so far have I actually had a manager sit down and have a decent talk with me.

And NEVER fucking believe them when they say they'll call you back. Fuckers are lying out their assholes.

Also, Chimp: starting a new job sucks, sure, but what sucks more getting a 2% return-on-investment when jobhunting. FUCK this economy.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 7 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 08:51:17 AM)

I can imagine it's difficult to get a job right now. Not a lot of people are hiring and unemployment is high. Most people who get good jobs do so by networking. It's much easier for a potential employer to trust you if they can get a good word from someone they know.

You can also try the temp to hire route. I've done that on occassion.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 8 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 10:37:36 AM)

I've actually just been involved in hiring a few new people at my work, so I can give you some advice.

Write a cover letter. Write a unique cover letter for any job that you actually want. If someone's reusing a generic cover letter, I will notice and immediately disregard the application. If they couldn't take the time to write a unique cover letter for the job, they probably don't want it that much.

Make it short. Three paragraphs or so is more than enough.

The cover letter is more important than what's on your resume. If you have a good GPA (above 3.5) put it in the resume, otherwise leave it out. We won't ask for it anyway. Don't include a bunch of irrelevant work experience unless it's all you have, try to include experience that relates to the job you're applying to.

At the interview, obviously dress well, better than you expect to have to dress while you're working there. Bring extra copies of your resume to the interview. Don't be super-early, it's annoying. Ten minutes early at most.

Also you need to have an explanation for what you're doing right now. Why don't you have a job? What occupies your time? These are questions that they're going to ask at the job interview.

finally, yeah, look into temp work. While I was applying for work I worked at a convention center working various conventions that came into town. The hours were inconvenient and inconsistent, but it paid okay, and it gave me something to tell interviewers to convince them I wasn't a total waste of space.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 9 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 11:00:03 AM)

Snook, doesn't your school have a student job center? You might check around there, they typically have plenty of jobs with good hours for students, even if it means you have to work 0400-0800 at Fedex.

And for fuck's sake, learn to make yourself sound like Superman on your resume. People expect this. If they expected 100% truth, interviews would be almost unnecessary. If you get a call for an interview and you've embellished on your resume, just be confident. You'll learn as you go in your job and no one expects you to hop in and be 100% productive at 8am on day one.
No problem.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 10 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 11:13:57 AM)

I've only sent out one resume and I got the job. Go me.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 11 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 01:03:40 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Write a cover letter. Write a unique cover letter for any job that you actually want. If someone's reusing a generic cover letter, I will notice and immediately disregard the application. If they couldn't take the time to write a unique cover letter for the job, they probably don't want it that much.

I came in here to post this.

I just started looking for a job this week.

I turned in 5 resumes + 5 unique cover letters yesterday at about 4PM.

In less than 24 hours I've already had three responses and have 1 interview set up.

Writing a customized cover letter for each company was a fucking grinding, mind-numbing, agonizing annoyance, but there is no doubt in my mind that if I had just handed in a resume all like "here, look at this" I would have not gotten ANYTHING back.

And as Ice has pointed out, the key here is unique cover letter, which means don't fucking copy/paste something off Monster.com, you faggot. Also, add some stuff in the cover letter that specifically references something the company has done. Look at their website and go through the portfolio. Cold call the company and find out who the letter needs to go to, and then address it to that person. E-mail and fax it.

Remember the first Harry Potter book where Harry's uncle was trying to stop the letters from Hogwarts and after he nailed the mail door shut they start shooting out of the fireplace and in through the windows and filled that fucking house up? That's what you need to be like.
You are the reason I post here, and that annoys me.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 12 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 01:24:16 PM)

It's also important to do research on the company before you go to the interview. You need to be able to tell them about their own company.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 13 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 02:21:30 PM)

This is all fine and dandy for some nice office job but at the moment all I'm really qualified for is a minimum wage job serving people food or retail.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Reply 14 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 02:35:59 PM)

Go cook in a kitchen for some chain sit-down place. Couple bucks an hour over minimum wage and you can eat (sneak) all the free food and booze you want.
No problem.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 15 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 02:39:23 PM)

Jobs up here are lacking too. I got laid off in January because my boss decided to buy this franchise right before the economy tanked and all of the previous customers took off screaming.

Now I'm done school and have to invest most of my time looking for jobs people don't want to give me. Other than that, drinking.
‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
‹Purple› If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
‹just dandy› ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 16 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 02:56:59 PM)

Quoted from Chimp:
Go cook in a kitchen for some chain sit-down place. Couple bucks an hour over minimum wage and you can eat (sneak) all the free food and booze you want.

Oh I'd love to. Wanna find a job for me, since it sounds so easy?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 17 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:04:58 PM)

http://denver.craigslist.org/ret/1125721550.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/fbh/1124964637.html
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Reply 18 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:06:17 PM)

Quoted from Snook:
Quoted from Chimp:

Oh I'd love to. Wanna find a job for me, since it sounds so easy?

http://www.denverjobs.com/job_details2.asp?JobID=1942326&SearchID=188863379&Position=6&CameFrom=Job
‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:10:38 PM)

Thanks for the links/places I've already tried.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 20 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:19:08 PM)

hey snook, what's with the smug sense of entitlement? They're trying to help you

Get a job. It's not hard.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 21 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:29:53 PM)

He did the same thing in the help me gain weight thread.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 22 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:43:27 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
hey snook, what's with the smug sense of entitlement? They're trying to help you

Get a job. It's not hard.

I'm a bit disenchanted after 4 months of applications, handing out resumes, and getting no responses unless I hound them down at their office day after day and *maybe* get an interview which eventually leads to nothing anyways.

Maybe it's not hard for you, maybe you live in a decent area for jobs. But right now? it's pretty tough to find a decent job in this area.

Quoted from Ztolk:
He did the same thing in the help me gain weight thread.

I appreciate the help, but if the advice don't fit why take it? I took what I needed out of that thread. I've gotten back to a decent weight (although still underweight) and diversified my diet to boot.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

Reply 23 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 04:08:13 PM)

I actually just applied for a job I might get, so I'm happy.

Tech support here I come! ...again
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 93 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 04:59:18 PM)

why don't you work at pita hovel or whatever again?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7445 | Total Posts: 93 ]