Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > TEA PARTIES > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 13639 | Total Posts: 128 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-15-09 07:24:22 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Did anyone else see these clowns?

There were like 100 or so pissed off white people outside of San Francisco city hall today when I went out for lunch. I saw a bunch of Ayn Rand / Ron Paul 2008 type signs (SELFISHNESS IS A VIRTUE, GREED IS NOT A SIN). I didn't really stick around for that long because I had to get back to work, and also because I didn't want to add myself to any of the headcounts that were being made.

The thing about these protests are that they're completely engineered by party officials, and not grassroots at all. The word being thrown around is "astroturf", that is, movements designed to look like grassroots movements but which, in reality, are organized by national interests.

The most ridiculous thing is that these protests are simply protesting the possibility that taxes will be raised in the future due to government spending. Most of the people at the protests probably received a tax cut, not an increase. It really seemed like no one there knew exactly why or what they were protesting, besides "Obama bad!"
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 1 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-15-09 08:01:33 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Saw these guys marching around Denver for the past 2 days too. Kinda annoying, since the hold up the buses.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 2 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-15-09 08:22:34 PM)

There were a lot of people doing it down here. Big shock.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 3 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-15-09 08:54:06 PM)

wtf is this thread about? I bet it's some American thing. I came here hoping this thread was about tea parties. Does it have something to do with the Boston tea party?
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermögen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darüber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 4 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-15-09 09:53:57 PM)

I had a tea party the other day.
Minus, The Nightmare
Desperado

Ballkicks: (+7 / -6)
Reg. Date: Mar 2009
Reply 5 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:10:51 AM)

Quoted from Bon:
wtf is this thread about? I bet it's some American thing. I came here hoping this thread was about tea parties. Does it have something to do with the Boston tea party?

What this guy said.

I wanted to read about white men dressed like Native Americans, throwing tea off of English ships.

What the hell? I'm disappointed.

But seriously, man. That sucks. The town I live in is not big enough for anyone to picket-line or anything.

However, there are a lot of Anti-Obama rednecks.
[ABA]= Anti-Backwashing Activists
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 6 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:30:23 AM)

I'm having a cup right now.

One thing that's surprised me lately is the scientologists have set up camp about 2 minutes from my flat and instead of getting ignored as usual they seem to be getting a massive response from the locals, people were actually queuing up to take stress tests and buy that book they sell. This is in one of the most densely populated Arab areas in London.
Minus, The Nightmare
Desperado

Reply 7 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:41:08 AM)

Whoa. People are paying attention to Scientologists now?

Damn you, Tom Cruise. Damn you.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 8 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 07:25:37 AM)

Quoted from ice:

The thing about these protests are that they're completely engineered by party officials, and not grassroots at all. The word being thrown around is "astroturf", that is, movements designed to look like grassroots movements but which, in reality, are organized by national interests.

Ultimately, you yourself are guilty of the same inane "OBAMA BAD!" mentality that you posit exists within these protesters. The reason why is that you seem to posit this movement as being somehow special; as if it, unlike other protests against things you disapprove of, is some Machiavellian scheme by Gingrich, et al to discredit and destroy the credibility of Obama and his Democratic-controlled congress. You ignore the reality that all successful movements are highly organized and expertly lead by men who's single goal is the success of that movement for what generally amounts to personal gain. This gain could be money, political power, or even the numbing sensation of feeling like they have done a "good thing" for their national identity. The term "grassroots" that you seem to invoke is itself just a great moral and ethical justification; if everyone was pushing towards the end of the movement, then surely those who were oppressed and stomped on for being in the way can be written off as necessary casualties.

So, coming back to my original point, by saying that these people are tools to a cabal, you effectively ignore that you, in saying such a thing, are a tool to a cabal which is itself aligned against their own. This really should be quite self-evident, but I suppose that such an inconvenient truth bankrupts the notion that your movement is at all better or more noble than the other when you get to its own bottom line: uncontested power.

To conclude, however, I would ask you to show one thing: a "grassroots" movement which neither had an elite to "start" it nor one to later rule it after it had grabbed any substantial power from the previous authority.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
This reply was last edited on 04-16-09 07:42:14 AM by atlas sighed (at me).
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 9 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 10:24:24 AM)

Honestly, Vissario, the difference between a movement that organically develops and one that is artificially engineered is obvious. The Tea Party "movement" has no agenda aside from the fear and anger that Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Gov. Perry and other armchair dissidents have sown. I don't really want to be drawn off topic

Quote:

It's a reference to that, but that's really where the similarity ends.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 10 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 10:26:24 AM)

When I was a kid, we used to enjoy watching stupid shows like This Hour Has 22 Minutes, which had a segment called "Talking to Americans" during which time Rick Mercer would ask questions and make up facts and ask opinions from uneducated dolts in the United States. While funny back then, seeing how insane some of these people are becomes less funny and more infuriating, scary and frustrating as I've aged. That, in addition to the fact that these are hardly grassroots protests at all.

I wonder how much the Canadian government and media does the same thing.

Do reasonable people ever make the news? Does anyone protest for a cause other than to protest?

One hopefully: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/04/16/9129801-sun.html

This isn't the best coverage, seeing as Canoe.ca is the Toronto Sun, which is a right-wing tabloid, really, but the Tamil Tigers, usually branded in Canadian media as a terrorist group, are staging a massive and peaceful protest in Ottawa that has gone on for about a week non-stop now, I think, and my folks were up in the area, walked through the crowd on their way through the city without a problem. They're friendly and they know what they want.

Now, odds are the Canadian government will refuse to take any action, and it's a complicated situation, but at least it means something and they know what they want and what they're fighting for through their protest.

I'm rambling, but that's some food for thought, I guess.
how is this for a quote
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 11 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 10:34:11 AM)

Quote:
Honestly, Vissario, the difference between a movement that organically develops and one that is artificially engineered is obvious.

Then you should have no problem pointing it out, eh?

I love how "obvious" things are almost invariably the things which people are never at haste to defend on a line-by-line basis and instead defer with basic appeal to popularity logical fallacies.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 12 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 10:39:39 AM)

does the marketing campaign come before or after the movement starts?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 13 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 02:14:18 PM)

http://pics.livejournal.com/koalafrog/pic/002g4c16/s640x480

http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wtf08.jpg
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 14 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 02:30:53 PM)

I went to the one in San Antonio. And for the record, I don't give the slightest fuck what anyone thinks about me going.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 15 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:20:18 PM)

why'd you go? What were you protesting?
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 16 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 03:47:11 PM)

He went for freedom because obama is trying to tax him and take his guns, and that would not be freedom.
DRAHNIER
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reply 17 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 04:20:50 PM)

I agree that the deficit spending that was excessive under Bush and has now been ramped up even further under Obama is a "bad thing". I don't know anywhere near enough about economics to say "before we where in trouble, now we're fucked", it is how ever making me nervous.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 18 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 04:29:43 PM)

Quoted from Stoffel:
I went to the one in San Antonio. And for the record, I don't give the slightest fuck what anyone thinks about me going.
just so you know the taxes you paid were set by bush, not obama
Quoted from Muzta:
I agree that the deficit spending that was excessive under Bush and has now been ramped up even further under Obama is a "bad thing". I don't know anywhere near enough about economics to say "before we where in trouble, now we're fucked", it is how ever making me nervous.
deficit spending during a recession is necessary
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reply 19 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 04:50:45 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
deficit spending during a recession is necessary

What concerns me is what the money is being spent on, and the amount that is being accrued. It seems to me that if this doesn't work, and budget deficits continue to bloat, then we may all be very very fucked.
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
This reply was last edited on 04-16-09 04:56:58 PM by Muzta.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 20 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 05:47:33 PM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
No one goes to protests to protest, people go to be seen!
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 21 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-16-09 06:17:37 PM)

Duh, that's why they take the signs, so people can see them!
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat
Yogi
INTL Premium Member
The Hero of Canton

check out my color filters

Ballkicks: (+129 / -58)
Reg. Date: Mar 2003
Reply 22 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-17-09 12:30:22 AM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from take it sleazy:
No one goes to protests to protest, people go to be seen!

I thought being seen was the point of a protest.
The Big Deal
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 23 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-17-09 01:30:16 AM)

lollll

Minus, The Nightmare
Desperado

Reply 24 of 128 (Originally posted on: 04-17-09 06:26:29 AM)

Quoted from drahnier:
He went for freedom because obama is trying to tax him and take his guns, and that would not be freedom.

Hell right, brother.

Next they'll be trying to take Dale Earnhardt's number out of the NASCAR hall of fame...or wherever it is...
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 13639 | Total Posts: 128 ]