Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Forum Politics: Should Moderators have Standards of Behavior? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2590 | Total Posts: 43 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Should we prohibit activites that lead to inactivity?
This poll has no expiration.
Yes. RS should stay in RS. Spamming should be prohibited in ID. Vote in poll to view results
Yes, but specifically moderators. Users should be free to do what they want. Vote in poll to view results
No. Vote in poll to view results
Modify Poll
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
(Originally posted on: 03-28-09 08:40:42 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Disclaimer: I'm not making this thread to flame or troll, I'm making it to encourage a discussion about the expectations for behavior of our staff.

INTL has become less and less active over the past few months, at least from what I've seen. I could be wrong about the decline, but our activity certainly could be higher.

Antpocas has at least twice [1][2] in the past month spammed threads I've tried to make with the intention of shutting them down.

Normal users making such posts is one thing, but when a member of the staff makes that sort of post, it does more to contribute to inactivity because of that member's status in the community.

Should we go back to the old days when spamming and shit posts weren't tolerated outside of RS? We were certainly more active then.

Now I'm not talking about RS. RS is almost an anything goes place. But shouldn't RS spamming and trolling stay in RS?

If we don't go back to those old rules, should moderators(specifically) be allowed to spam threads in such a way, and thereby discourage activity on the forum?
Then let us pray that come it may
(as come it will for a' that)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth
Shall bear the gree an' a' that
For a' that an' a' that
It's coming yet for a' that
That man to man, the world o'er
Shall brothers be for a' that...

-Robbie Burns
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 1 of 43 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 08:03:08 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

No, you misunderstand; moderators have the right to administer cowboy justice as they deem necessary and appropriate.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 43 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 04:55:07 AM)

Quote:
Should we go back to the old days when spamming and shit posts weren't tolerated outside of RS? We were certainly more active then

Spamming isn't tolerated now either, or at least it isn't supposed to be.
Neither are "shitposts" if you make too many of them, as it's a form of spamming.

As for INTLs change in activity, that's happened mostly for other reasons.

And yes, antpocas should stop talking about how he's purposely trolling ID and being such a douchebag, as he is a mod.
DRAHNIER
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 3 of 43 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 05:31:40 AM)

The report post feature is a good way to get other staff, especially me, to look at said posts.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 4 of 43 (Originally posted on: 05-19-09 08:28:59 PM)

but less funny
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 5 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-12-09 02:29:46 PM)

Is this still a problem?
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 6 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-14-09 08:58:46 AM)

Seems okay but the forum is so slow it's hard to tell.
It is company policy not to release this information.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 7 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-14-09 09:11:24 AM)

Silence, BITCH

please don't ban me sukkit

jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 8 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-15-09 10:53:18 PM)

Quoted from X:
Is this still a problem?

Oh not at all. We never ban people simply because we disagree with them anymore. Seriously, if you want traffic on this site, maybe you learn to take some shit from people whether it ruffles your man-feathers or not. Your itchy trigger finger makes you a terrible moderator.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 9 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-18-09 01:30:52 PM)

You were banned by Rich, not I.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 10 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-18-09 08:29:45 PM)

I thought I responded to this thread but that must've been one of those weird dreams like Ztolk's been having.

I don't think it's a problem anymore. The major violators either aren't as active anymore or have toned it down a bit. There are still some trolls, but it really isn't as much an issue as it was and it doesn't detract from the overall atmosphere of INTL like it did.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat

Nickolati: when i was 17, fruit loops gave me a boner
jimmy

Reply 11 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-18-09 10:53:10 PM)

Quoted from X:

I'm sure you had nothing to do with it at all. omg yah rite fag lol
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 12 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 04:51:54 AM)

Quote:
awkward jimmy

jimmy

Reply 13 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 08:42:36 AM)

Quote:
Serious Discussions

omg yah rite fag lol
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 14 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 01:32:37 PM)

Maybe this thread should be moved to ID to get more opinions on the matter, rather than fostering a rolleye battle.

Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 15 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 02:01:32 PM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
Quoted from X:

I'm sure you had nothing to do with it at all. omg yah rite fag lol

I didn't. Rich does whatever he wishes, he bans and unbans as he pleases. That's his prerogative, and I respect it now more than ever.

If anything, your comments are more entertaining, and in some rare cases insightful, regarding how you think INTL works. I can only hope that we're a little more transparent and open to addressing these concerns than you make it seem.

I'm interested in what riles you up about INTL. Every post you've made lately on the topic has been outright obvious (inactivity, sure) or clearly wrong (my increasing involvement? petty drama? instant backlash towards newcomers?). Some of those conclusions are not congruent to one another; how can the site have instant backlash towards newcomers when it's so inactive that the only newcomers we have are bots? Other conclusions are inaccurate; I've made only a little more than a dozen or so more posts than you have in the last four months. If anything, you should be criticizing me for promoting inactivity by being inactive.

No matter how you criticize INTL, though, it almost always comes back to 'facts' that might have been relevant years ago, but don't seem all that relevant anymore:

The staff are not organized enough, nor active enough, to do any of the harm you think they do; banning users all the time at will, ruling with an iron fist, or being complete and utter bastards. That *might* have been true years ago when there was more to moderate and INTL was more of an investment in a person's life, but that's not true that much anymore. Most mods, and users in general, if they are not content they are apathetic.

The rules are not adhered to with strictness anymore. With the exception of a few forums and a few trolls, rules aren't enforced strongly because the ethos of the forum is not to enforce them so strictly. The users now are the same ones that have been here for the last few years or longer - they know which rules that are there for a definitive reason (illegality) and the ones that are arbitrary and not harmful to what INTLers see as defining INTL. This may not be great, but what is the other option? Ban the only users INTL has or will ever have, and come down with that iron fist you criticize INTL for constantly? Or should it just let it all be, so long as it's not disruptive to what INTLers see as their community?

Your other major ire, on petty drama and the seemingly 'hipster' development of INTL seems irrelevant now. We don't get drama as much anymore, nor do we seem to retain the hipsters you blame us for. Most of those you've claimed are 'hipsters' are long gone or have slowed their posting to once or twice a month. Users have posted pictures, in a thread that's lucky to get four pictures a month and hasn't had a post in the last month. In the last year, we had one petty drama that was even comparable to the ones that used to occur at INTL back in 2004 and 2005. But by all means, if you disagree, name some that have happened recently.

The major fault of INTL goes back to inactivity, which no one here has the ability to change on their own, and most users seem to have just accepted it. We don't get newcomers because we are inactive, and we have nothing to offer but ourselves. Quite frankly, it seems many INTLers are content with the people we have now and have had. The problem is that people don't want to post, don't visit because they are bored with the lack of interesting topics and the saturation of the community, have moved on with their lives entirely or to other more exciting pastures online and offline, or they just don't agree with the direction INTL has gone in. I've already had one or two come out and state that they are sick and tired with what INTL has become - without blaming just one person - and that it should just be closed entirely. Others simply wish they had the time and conviction to post as they did when they were younger and/or less busy, but they don't. The thing is people still come here. Less people, less posts, less threads, but there's still those who see something worthwhile in going to INTL, whether it is the community, or the shared environment of friends, or a place to 'comfortably' talk about their lives, or for whatever reason.

I don't find a scapegoat, or will seek out blame for it. I don't give a shit for the blame game. It happens; it's how forums evolve. You, jimmy, seek out blame for it all. You can criticize me, or the community, or any other user, but it adds nothing knowing that it's not imperative to know what or who to blame. I'm more interested in knowing what's the problem, whether I can fix it without going overboard, and how you would do things if you could do things. That's constructive and relevant and important.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 16 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 02:08:23 PM)

OP:

making it so you can spam/troll/jimmy anywhere on the forum won't increase activity because it won't bring new people to INTL. If that alone does bring new people here, well then we don't want 'em.

also, to say antpocas spamming twice has led to inactivity is retarded, and I'm glad you don't post here anymore.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 17 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 02:13:10 PM)

fyi for those who haven't come across this thread before, the OP was made in March to facilitate discussion on the behaviour of antpocas and some other forummers of high status who were considered by others to be disruptive to the point of inactivity. A lot of the activity Acheron talks about is, it seems, quite toned down.

ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 18 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 02:25:13 PM)

whatever, I think its stupid to have moderators who are forced to be uptight on a private forum, this isn't HG.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"where is my mind."
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 19 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 02:43:23 PM)

It's not a matter of being tight, it was a matter of deliberate spamming and trolling. I don't think I'm uptight about moderating or even posting but I'm not about to troll the shit out of ID. It's annoying & pointless.

C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 20 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-19-09 06:01:34 PM)

just dropping by to say the n-word.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 21 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-21-09 07:59:39 PM)

You didn't say it though.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision I’ve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 22 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-22-09 03:28:26 PM)

I always felt that the old glory days of INTL (2003ish for me) was exactly like that cowboy justice thing Viss described with mods pretty much doing as they pleased. However, this was usually done in a manner that was amusing rather than just outright trolling.

Also, I was always a big fan of the hazing the new guy thing INTL was notorious for. Where as most other forums had a whole "Welcome dude, we respect all opinions and are glad to have you aboard" vibe, INTL's "your on the wrong side of town chico" mentality was refreshing to me. It was also a great way to weed out trolls and generally weaker posters. Though this may have kept INTL from growing in members, the few that survived the initial gauntlet grew closer and formed a pretty active core group. This may also be the reason for the forums slowing down. More core posters going inactive with less new people joining because the forum is slow. Its a shitty cycle and I don't think the cause has anything to do with moderation, though I am not sure what the real causes are nor what can be done to remedy this.

*This post does not condone Antpocas who has always been shit.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 23 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-23-09 07:35:01 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
You didn't say it though.

I'm not racist, that's a crime.

and crime is for black people.

(sorry nick)
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 24 of 43 (Originally posted on: 12-25-09 09:31:24 AM)

Sunny didn't have anything to do with banning Jimmy.

Jimmy, I'd like to think you're just fucking with us, because if not, you're acting like a fat girl wearing glasses in elementary school that always sits in the front of the class, has no friends, always raises her hand, always feels that she is right, then one day has her first period in class while wearing white shorts.

I'd like to think that, at one point, you would've noticed when you've done this. Your every. Single. Post. Has been about how INTL mistreats you, and how it sucks. If you want to offer suggestions, I've asked multiple times. If you want to find new members, please feel free. You used to mock OTHER people about doing what you're doing now. If you hate it so much, then there's no reason for you to be here. If you like it, or want it to be something else, then post what you want it to be like instead of having your period in white shorts.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2590 | Total Posts: 43 ]